Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

RE: "Luthiers share your creations" thread   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>Lutherie >> Page: <<   <   30 31 [32] 33 34    >   >>
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

estebanana

RE: "Luthiers share your creati... (in reply to constructordeguitarras

Two things that are certain:

In the violin world Nagivari has been shown to be a poor investigator.
And violin varnish and wood preparation has been proven to be a bigger factor in sound than one might think. So let's begin there.

https://www.stephenfaulkguitars.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 11 2014 14:25:16

Ruphus

quote:

ORIGINAL: constructordeguitarras

Ah, but I think holding the stick over the fire does affect the interior as well as the surface, where as the varnish only sits on the surface. For sure--at least with guitars, which I am familiar with--the varnish affects the resonating properties. It's just not that important what it's made of. (Yes, I am saying that nitrocellulose lacquer sounds as good as shellac!) Moreover, I believe that on violins the wood is thicker, so the effect is diminished.

Sounds plausible.

Ruphus
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 11 2014 16:04:29

estebanana

quote:

It always strikes me as strange that there is so much fuss over violin varnishes, because the varnish is so thin compared to the wood and furthermore much of the varnish is worn off those great old violins anyway. Okay, the varnish looks nice; that effect should be easy to duplicate. But researching the varnish to try to capture the sound is to me barking up the wrong tree.

Ethan, and anyone interested in varnish talk,

This is not what most people are doing. The research on violin varnish is due to the fact that the pine resin-cooked oil varnishes that are intact dating from 300 years ago are still very resilient to darkening and structural failure. While more modern varnishes have discoloration issues and can fail structurally over time. Also the colors and dichroic effects on the older violins can be achieved by using these older varnish recipes.

Mainly violin makers today are looking for a Dichroic varnish that has layers of different colors that shine together and also create two or three colors on the wood. This can be done by layering colored varnishes over colored grounds and is an important part of making violins that are in character with older classical Italian work.

That said, in short, guitars and violins have different needs and reactions to varnishing. Almost all competent violin makers will say the sound is created by the structure of the violin, but there is also a big factor in how the varnish and it's composition modifies and filters the sound. The varnish on a violin does have an effect on sound, and it's been well documented by before and after sound tests with and with and without varnish. Varnish has a damping effect, not much but enough to moderate the sound a bit. The question is not does varnish really shape the sound, but how does to change the sound in a subtle way? Mainly too much varnish is bad because it dampens too much, but some varnish does help tame certain parts of overtone series and emphasize others.

I have used varnish shellac and lacquer on guitars and I think each finish has a slightly different character in how it effects the high partials, but not so much that it is a really big deal. Of the three ways I've done finishing I heard the spar varnished guitars as having more effect on the overtones, at least in the beginning before the varnish hardened over several months or years. But I don't think it's big deal on guitars as long as the finish is not excessively thick.

Violins and guitars are really different systems in how the string is activated and while the logic of how one works seems like it might fit the other, lots of it does not directly translate. What might make a guitar go well might not work for a violin. They are just different structures, but since they are made of wood there is some connection.

_______

But all this is a separate conversation. It's quite off topic to sharing guitar pictures. It's also difficult to talk about violin varnish because there is so much speculation by nonmakers that gets mixed up with actual known knowledge by vetted investigators who have published good research on the subject. In the last five to ten years state of the art optical scanning and chemical analysis have been used to break down the components in violin varnish on period instruments and the information is out there to read. There are also several really good modern varnish makers creating cooked pine resin-oil varnishes that are on par with classic Italian varnish. So it's difficult to have a conversation on this if everyone is not on the same page in regards to what the current common knowledge is. It becomes less a conversation than a frustration of correcting previously held beliefs and looking like a smarty pants know it all. But the information about varnish is pretty much out there in the violin forums for free. I've been following the discussions of the best of the best people in varnish research for about five years now. A couple of days of reading the many varnish conversations on Maestronet and other forums and downloading the supplemental PDF files about varnish making and history would give a good solid background in the issues.

I do think it is beyond the topic and scope of this particular guitar show and tell thread, which I hope does not turn into morass of misinformation and gross speculation.

S.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 14 2014 5:26:12

RobJe

RE: "Luthiers share your creati... (in reply to estebanana

I do like it when you talk dirty about Dichroic finishes Stephen! Last time you posted on this I took the trouble to read up about it.

Sadly I have no expertise to offer on finishing techniques. I do however dislike cruelty to wood whether it be the local antique dealers stripping old furniture to refinish it in a blemish free garish orange fp just like repro, the potential loss of good wood when my father-in-law’s house was finally sold with a collection of rare hardwood he had inherited from his uncle who had been cabinet maker/ restorer or finishes that mask the natural beauty of wood.

I am interested in the effects of finish on sound. Of course the perceived sound is notoriously difficult to investigate. I suppose the question “does it make a difference?” is easier to investigate than “what kind of difference does it make?” I presume that your observations on the difference are based on making and handling instruments. So, to add to this here is my experience.

The year: 2003.

The place: shop of a major (in volume) Spanish producer of expensive guitars (nameless to prevent this thread to from wandering)

The experiment: trying out a pile of cypress/spruce guitars (all the same model) – some finished in French polish and the rest in lacquer. There were at least 5 each of each type of finish – I don’t remember the exact numbers.

The outcome: In my perception there was consistent difference in sound between the two types of finish, so much so that I could pick the finish with my eyes closed.

Further thoughts: The problem is that I find it difficult to describe the difference. I would like to say that the fp guitars were “brighter”, but this would not be helpful as I am reluctant to describe the lacquer guitars as “duller”. Any way by using the conceptual metaphor “bright guitar” I have to accept all its limitations as a means of communication to others.

Rob
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 15 2014 14:35:03

estebanana

I posted a sound sample of the blanca the previous page here:

http://www.foroflamenco.com/tm.asp?m=265603&appid=&p=1&mpage=1&key=&tmode=1&smode=1&s=#265603

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 21 2014 1:32:25

Andy Culpepper

RE: "Luthiers share your creati... (in reply to RobJe

quote:

The year: 2003.

The place: shop of a major (in volume) Spanish producer of expensive guitars (nameless to prevent this thread to from wandering)

The experiment: trying out a pile of cypress/spruce guitars (all the same model) – some finished in French polish and the rest in lacquer. There were at least 5 each of each type of finish – I don’t remember the exact numbers.

The outcome: In my perception there was consistent difference in sound between the two types of finish, so much so that I could pick the finish with my eyes closed.

Further thoughts: The problem is that I find it difficult to describe the difference. I would like to say that the fp guitars were “brighter”, but this would not be helpful as I am reluctant to describe the lacquer guitars as “duller”. Any way by using the conceptual metaphor “bright guitar” I have to accept all its limitations as a means of communication to others.

Rob

Interesting, thanks for sharing your experience. One very rarely gets to do experiments like that, with a big enough sample size to even begin to control for variation between individual guitars.
Luthiers who have switched between finishes at some point in their careers could also probably make a pretty informed judgement. Personally I have no idea what my guitars would sound like with lacquer.

Andy Culpepper, luthier
http://www.andyculpepper.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 26 2014 21:44:43

Andy Culpepper

Here's a just-completed Spruce/Indian negra! Pictures soon.

Andy Culpepper, luthier
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 26 2014 21:46:15

tijeretamiel

RE: "Luthiers share your creati... (in reply to Andy Culpepper

Andy you have a bald face :(

Nice sounding negra though.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 27 2014 10:17:25

Andy Culpepper

I know... and I even cut my hair. Sorry to disappoint my fan base :/

Images are resized automatically to a maximum width of 800px

Attachment (4)

Andy Culpepper, luthier
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 27 2014 15:31:39

Joan Maher

Very Nice Andy..

Gracias!

Joan Josep Maher
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 29 2014 7:29:56

Don Dionisio

Aesthetically and sonically a very beautiful guitar...your playing is solid too.
BTW: nice haircut.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 29 2014 12:09:01

Andy Culpepper

Thanks Joan and Dennis!
I feel like I should start the "luthiers share your beauty tips" thread

Andy Culpepper, luthier
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 29 2014 12:46:10

estebanana

How is that nut file shaping working for you?

Beauty fer shur.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 8 2014 14:22:12

Andy Culpepper

Thanks Stephen. I like to hollow out the back of the nut slot so that the string is only sitting on 2 or 3 mm of bone. I find it's easier to make sure the string is sitting right in the nut and avoid little buzzes.

Andy Culpepper, luthier
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 9 2014 23:27:37

estebanana

Do you get any complaints that it does not look standard? I do that for the D string in seven string guitars to allow it to make the slight turn it takes in order to reach tuner.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 10 2014 1:03:19

LandKGuitars

RE: "Luthiers share your creati... (in reply to Andy Culpepper

padauk back and side, anrondack spruce top, maple bindings

Attachment (2)

L & K Guitars
http://www.landkspanishguitars.com/
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 27 2014 15:41:39

LandKGuitars

padauk back and side, anrondack spruce top, maple bindings

Attachment (2)
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 27 2014 15:43:10

Andy Culpepper

quote:

Do you get any complaints that it does not look standard? I do that for the D string in seven string guitars to allow it to make the slight turn it takes in order to reach tuner.

No complaints so far

Andy Culpepper, luthier
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 27 2014 15:53:28

Edzard

Nice rosette Andy!

What kind of wood did you use for the red/yellow in the middle ring?

Best regards,

Edzard
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 28 2014 7:15:01

LandKGuitars

RE: "Luthiers share your creati... (in reply to LandKGuitars

p

Attachment (1)

L & K Guitars
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 28 2014 15:34:43

Andy Culpepper

RE: "Luthiers share your creati... (in reply to Edzard

quote:

Nice rosette Andy!

What kind of wood did you use for the red/yellow in the middle ring?

Best regards,

Edzard

Thanks Edzard! It's Padauk and Mahogany in the center and Bloodwood in the outer rings.

Andy Culpepper, luthier
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 29 2014 0:19:08

Lorenzo714

Nice looking guitar Mr L & K

Do you have a web or any way of providing me any more info on your guitars?

Thanks,

Lorenzo

Lorenzo Bonc
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCp9GaFPV-Ax4mR-ZoGzYmyg
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 29 2014 1:38:26

LandKGuitars

RE: "Luthiers share your creati... (in reply to Lorenzo714

i have some people making a new website as soon as is finish i let you know

L & K Guitars
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 29 2014 15:57:36

LandKGuitars

RE: "Luthiers share your creati... (in reply to Lorenzo714

this are from a blanca that i am working on top thickness will be 1.7 mm german spruce back and side port oxford cedar 2.mm thiknes

Attachment (3)
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 29 2014 16:05:34

jshelton5040

quote:

ORIGINAL: LandKGuitars

this are from a blanca that i am working on top thickness will be 1.7 mm german spruce back and side port oxford cedar 2.mm thiknes

Wow! 1.7 mm top that's thin. Have you actually built 302 guitars?

John Shelton - www.sheltonfarrettaguitars.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 29 2014 22:04:36

Tom Blackshear

RE: "Luthiers share your creati... (in reply to jshelton5040

I built a great sounding Santos classical with a 1.7 to 1.8 top back in the eighties with an Engelmann spruce top that Robert Guthrie played for 8 years. Excellent tone.

Tom Blackshear Guitar maker
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 29 2014 22:28:58

Sr. Martins

Those pics, IMO, don't work on your favour.

Lots of things aren't looking symmetrical
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 29 2014 23:39:52

LandKGuitars

RE: "Luthiers share your creati... (in reply to jshelton5040

i have built 2mm tops and the 1.7 have better sound, yes i have building by m self for 13yr and before that with some company that i dont want to mention name

L & K Guitars
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 30 2014 0:49:54

Andy Culpepper

Flamenca negra recently completed!

The sound is still a bit green but I think it's my favorite negra that I've made. Lots of power, clarity, and depth.

Attachment (4)

Andy Culpepper, luthier
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 1 2014 14:46:26

Wayne Brown

Lovely guitar! Great sound!
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 1 2014 16:40:25
Page:   <<   <   30 31 [32] 33 34    >   >>
All Forums >>Discussions >>Lutherie >> Page: <<   <   30 31 [32] 33 34    >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software powered by ASP Playground Advanced Edition 2.0.5