Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

[Deleted]   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>Lutherie >> Page: [1]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

[Deleted] 

[Deleted by Admins]
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 22 2005 18:40:37

Sammy K

RE: Brazilian Rosewood (in reply to Guest

It is available if someone owns a log in your country. For example I could buy it from other luthiers who have stored it when it was legal to buy. Of course if you make a guitar out of it you will need documents (of it's legality) to take your guitar abroad. It's damn expensive and have gained too mystical a value IMO. It's beautiful and great sounding thou but really is it worth it?

-Sami

--This goes to eleven--
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 22 2005 19:27:04

gerundino63

A Frend of mine wants to built his own guitar and is looking here for a rosewood table or closet.
Perhaps an idear?
The wood is old enough and dry when it was a forniture!

Peter

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 22 2005 20:14:04

Escribano

Pre-CITES wood is OK

Foro Flamenco founder and Admin
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 22 2005 20:23:17

Escribano

RE: Brazilian Rosewood (in reply to gerundino63

quote:

A Frend of mine wants to built his own guitar and is looking here for a rosewood table or closet. Perhaps an idea?

Yes, luthiers have been buying it up for years.

Foro Flamenco founder and Admin
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 22 2005 20:24:24

[Deleted] (in reply to Guest

[Deleted by Admins]
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 23 2005 1:55:36

Sammy K

quote:

A Frend of mine wants to built his own guitar and is looking here for a rosewood table or closet. The wood is old enough and dry when it was a forniture!

You have to make sure it is quarter sawn wood.
Otherwise it will be useless for guitar sides & body. That makes it even more difficult to find suitable Braz rose

-Sami

--This goes to eleven--
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 23 2005 7:03:48

Armando

quote:

You have to make sure it is quarter sawn wood.
Otherwise it will be useless for guitar sides & body. That makes it even more difficult to find suitable Braz rose

Hy Sammy K

I don't agree with the above quoted statement, that wood which is not quartersawn is useless for ribs and backs. It's absolutely possible to build a quite good instrument with 2nd. grade woods which is not quartered. I would rather pay attention to avoid using such woods for the top and the neck, but even then, i guess it's possible to build a fairly good instrument. Don't forget about Luthiers like Torres who didn't had always well quartered first grade tonewoods on hand. Never the less they have managed to build excellent instruments with inferrior woods.

Regarding the brazilian rosewood (dalbergia nigra)

Yes, the real stuff is all gone since years. What is sold today is of poor quality and overpriced. Even the famous luthiers are rather changing to substitutes such as caviuna or madagascar rosewood instead of aquiring the poor quality brazilian. In case of Vicente Carrillo its almost sure a guitar made of caviuna. Some luthiers do not declare correctly an sell caviuna guitars as brazilian. If it is a guitar of true dalbergia nigra it wont go for that price. Caviuna is Santos Rosewood or Pau Ferro. It is not a member of the dalbergia familiy and it is signifcantly cheaper than brazilian ever was. It's appearance comes sometimes close to brazilian and is therefor not easy to be distinguished for unexperienced customer. Caviuna however is a quite different wood camparred to brazilian rosewood and it has different physical and tonal propperties.

Armando
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 7 2005 11:01:23

Sammy K

quote:

I don't agree with the above quoted statement, that wood which is not quartersawn is useless for ribs and backs. It's absolutely possible to build a quite good instrument with 2nd. grade woods which is not quartered.

Yeah, but if we are talking about guitar made out of braz rosewood it will be a very high priced and fine instrument, so the wood IMO should be quartersawn in that case. Of course you CAN use any wood, but I think it's not worth it to put a lot of time and effort without choosing the best possible materials at least when they are at hand. I understand your point anyway, Armando. :)

-Sami

--This goes to eleven--
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 11 2005 11:18:07

Cloth Ears

I went to Casasimarro in Cuenca on 20th September and met Vicente Carrillo. He explains that his guitars are made from Caviuna but do have that Rio Rosewood depth of sound.

His guitars are just perfect, I do recommend. Striking the strings in the right way produces a grand-piano like crisp sound! I am enjoying getting to know this beauty. I also compared it to a low tension strung Indian Rosewood negra that V. Carrillo has built as a gift for V.Amigo. I have an Amalio Burguet Indian Negra which shares the sweet sound, is easier to play than the Carrillo (maybe I am just used to it) but does not have that precision that the Carrillo instrument has.

Casasimarro is quiet and Cuenca is a lovely place to visit.

However if you know of any piles of brazilian rosewood, drop me a line and I might get out to Cuenca again!

Cloth.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 15 2005 11:03:27
Page:   [1]
All Forums >>Discussions >>Lutherie >> Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote