Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

The Cultural Origins Of The Modern Guitar - Download   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>Lutherie >> Page: [1]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

dformell

The Cultural Origins Of The Modern G... 

Hello Everybody,

The subject of this post was uploaded more than a year ago and could only viewed from the foro flamenco website. Though it could be downloaded the process was somewhat cumbersome, i.e. downloading 1 page at a time. The whole article can now be viewed and downloaded here:

http://www.scribd.com/doc/107878546/The-Cultural-Origins-Of-The-Modern-Guitar-by-R-E-Brune
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 29 2012 15:27:52

TANúñez

RE: The Cultural Origins Of The Mode... (in reply to dformell

Thanks for posting this!

Tom Núñez
www.instagram.com/tanunezguitars
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 29 2012 17:57:39

estebanana

Bumping this thread so everyone can reevaluate the document by R.E. Brune' regarding guitar and flamenco origins.

This may be appropriate reading to accompany the Early Rondena thread.

The attachments are on this thread but you have to grab them one by one sorry:

http://www.foroflamenco.com/tm.asp?m=168269&appid=&p=&mpage=1&key=origins&tmode=&smode=&s=#169009

https://www.stephenfaulkguitars.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 8 2015 6:26:39

printer2

I get a message giving me three options to subscribe to scribd if I want want to download the file.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 9 2015 0:33:32

estebanana

Oh, we have another version on the foro. Why did scribed grab that, it used to be free.

I put them in my post above yours.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 9 2015 2:49:36

printer2

Thanks.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 9 2015 15:23:04

gansz

Brune is well worth reading on this matter...
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 28 2015 14:50:25

estebanana

The essay Cultural Origins of the Modern Guitar By R.E. Brune' has been posted her on the Foro for a few years, it is a great essay concerning the flamenco guitar. The format it is posted in is a large difficult to read Jpeg series.In the interest of making this information more accessible I have reduced and collated the Jpegs here on the Foro and converted them into a merged PDF file that is small enough to email as a regular attachment.

Anyone wishing to read this more convenient version can send me an email or Private Message and I will arrange to send it to you as an email attachment. If you request to read the essay PDF please also post here that you wish to have it as a reminder to me to check my inbox.

The author has grated full permission to Foro members to receive this PDF and for this essay to be posted on the Foro. I hope if the tme and space is available that perhaps members will request the essay be hosted on the Foro so it can be downloaded directly by members.

In the mean time I am happy to distribute the PDF version. Please contact me if you would like to receive the essay.

Thank you,
Stephen

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 1 2015 2:06:58

Estevan

RE: The Cultural Origins Of The Mode... (in reply to estebanana

There is a PDF version of this article available here:
https://josswinn.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/05/Brune-1997-COMG.pdf

Me da igual. La música es música.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 12 2021 21:11:41

BarkellWH

RE: The Cultural Origins Of The Mode... (in reply to Estevan

Excellent recommendation to read Brune's article. Very interesting. I would recommend it to all who have not read it. It even touches on the origins of the term "flamenco" and tracks with the subject researched and discussed in depth by Konstantin and Ricardo in another thread.

Bill

And the end of the fight is a tombstone white,
With the name of the late deceased,
And the epitaph drear, "A fool lies here,
Who tried to hustle the East."

--Rudyard Kipling
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 12 2021 21:43:05

Ricardo

RE: The Cultural Origins Of The Mode... (in reply to BarkellWH

The quote about Borrows is misleading. As Piwin and I point out he claims they are known as flemings that being confused for Germans, “in various parts” of Spain … and by that he means by average joe Spaniard …. He makes a clear distinction about what they call THEMSELVES, and it is never “somos flamencos” in his two books. Only in the song, transmitted from memory by sevillano Manuel to borrows, from supposedly a source compiled by Luis lobo in book form from 1800 or around that time, for the secret group “los del Afición”, in a single stanza (or two of same song?) the phrase “Flamenca de Roma” is used.

Also the description of guitar play and singing and compas in both Borrows books is documented evidence of what seems exactly like our flamenco music by both gypsy and non gypsy individuals, several years before the Murciano encounter.

CD's and transcriptions available here:
www.ricardomarlow.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 13 2021 15:57:56

kitarist

RE: The Cultural Origins Of The Mode... (in reply to Ricardo

quote:

The quote about Borrows is misleading. As Piwin and I point out he claims they are known as flemings that being confused for Germans, “in various parts” of Spain … and by that he means by average joe Spaniard …

Yup, I was about to write something like this. Big difference when you look at what is claimed and what is actually written in the primary source. BTW this is why I wanted to find as many of the primary sources as I could so we don't have to rely on retellings

Images are resized automatically to a maximum width of 800px

Attachment (1)

Konstantin
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 13 2021 21:12:33

BarkellWH

RE: The Cultural Origins Of The Mode... (in reply to Ricardo

quote:

The quote about Borrows is misleading. As Piwin and I point out he claims they are known as flemings that being confused for Germans, “in various parts” of Spain … and by that he means by average joe Spaniard …. He makes a clear distinction about what they call THEMSELVES, and it is never “somos flamencos” in his two books. Only in the song, transmitted from memory by sevillano Manuel to borrows, from supposedly a source compiled by Luis lobo in book form from 1800 or around that time, for the secret group “los del Afición”, in a single stanza (or two of same song?) the phrase “Flamenca de Roma” is used.

Got it, thanks. Nevertheless, I think the overall piece by Brune is interesting.

Bill

And the end of the fight is a tombstone white,
With the name of the late deceased,
And the epitaph drear, "A fool lies here,
Who tried to hustle the East."

--Rudyard Kipling
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 13 2021 21:54:51

kitarist

RE: The Cultural Origins Of The Mode... (in reply to BarkellWH

quote:

Nevertheless, I think the overall piece by Brune is interesting.

It is very interesting, no question, and thanks to estevan for finding the handy pdf. Just this one bit was in need of correction as we have the primary source. It is cool to see how the different pieces and investigations fit together.

Konstantin
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 13 2021 22:21:41

estebanana

RE: The Cultural Origins Of The Mode... (in reply to kitarist

Brune’ sent me his original file of 20 plus pages of photo files. They were huge files. I reduced them in size and gathered them into one PDF that was small enough in size to be sent in one email. The files I got from him were so big it took three or four emails to send! 😂

But I think the main point of his essay is less about the origin of the word flamenco, but more about how flamenco contributed to the development of the guitar. With the emphasis on how there becomes a cultural schism between ‘classical’ and flamenco guitars. And he takes great care to set the history to a more real time line of development which disproves the early to mid 20th century revisionist history by the Segovites.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 14 2021 15:49:08

Ricardo

RE: The Cultural Origins Of The Mode... (in reply to estebanana

For guitar history everything in the article is great. The issue with reading Borrows book is of minor consequence and if the song letra is the interpretation, his statement is not “wrong”, but since it tied in to recent investigations, clarification was in order.

CD's and transcriptions available here:
www.ricardomarlow.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 14 2021 16:00:40
Page:   [1]
All Forums >>Discussions >>Lutherie >> Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll