Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

Examples of good folk music   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>Off Topic >> Page: [1] 2 3    >   >>
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

Anders Eliasson

Examples of good folk music 

Since there a general idea here, that folk music is out and not interesting, I´d like those of you who actually think that folk music is great to upload an example or two.

I start with this one. Kevin Burke, Irish fiddler, born in London and living in Oregon US.
One of my absolutely favorite musicians. Every single note he plays is elaborated and with feel and there´s an idea in everything he does.

KB makes it look so easy to play like this, but I can tell from personal experience that its very difficult.

Blog: http://news-from-the-workshop.blogspot.com/
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 28 2012 16:18:44

Anders Eliasson

RE: Examples of good folk music (in reply to Anders Eliasson

And another one. I love the sound of Nyckelharpa: Traditional Swedish polska (3/4 with accent on 1 and 3)

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 28 2012 16:31:11

Erik van Goch

My view in the other discussion was that i don't like to separate (world) music in structurally "lower"* and "higher"* classes. I only believe in interesting/less interesting forms and/or performances. I don't think anyone will dispute that above examples fits in the same category as well performed flamenco :-)

* Obviously one could distinguish forms that everybody can learn in an hour (like the chicken dance) and forms that takes a (very) long time to master (like flamenco and above posts). The (folk) music i like in general takes years to master.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 28 2012 18:11:13

Anders Eliasson

quote:

The (folk) music i like in general takes years to master.

I agree. Why dont you upload some. I´m interested.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 28 2012 19:35:19

Richard Jernigan

Sorry for the long post, Anders, but I believe it is to the point.

Looking up "folk music" on Wikipedia, one sees that the term came only recently into English, in the mid-19th century. One of the definitions is "indigenous music""

"Indigenous music is a term for the traditional music of the indigenous peoples of the world, that is, the music of an "original" ethnic group that inhabits any geographic region alongside more recent immigrants who may be greater in number."

This put me in mind of the Bali Aga, indigenous people of Bali. The idiosyncratic Hindu culture of the great majority of Ballnese resulted from the transplantation into Bali of the court culture of Majopahit. Modern Indonesia is the second largest Javanese empire. Majopahit was the largest. As Islam became dominant around 1500 in Java, the Hindu Majopahit aristocracy fled to Bali.

The Bali Aga are the remnants of the original Balinese culture. They avoided military service to the Hindu Rajas and maintained ownership of their own lands in a very few scattered villages.

Here is the bamboo gamelan of Tenganan, a Bali Aga village. These men are rice farmers or small merchants, not professional musicians, though the music is sophisticated.

(An erroneous caption says the Bali Aga are Hindu. Not so.)

There is also an ancient iron gamelan in Tenganan, housed in the village meeting hall. When i visited Tenganan in the late 1990s I inquired diligently into the possibility of hearing the iron gamelan. No one would give me a straight answer. My Balinese driver concluded that the iron gamelan was used only for village ceremonies, from which foreigners like he and I were rigorously excluded. A recording was available for sale, however.

Here, on the other hand is music of the Balinese majority culture. It is a prelude to a performance of shadow play, the wayang kulit.

This resembles flamenco, in that it is a personalized performance based on ubiquitous elements.

The shadow play has been prevalent throughout southeast Asia for at least a thousand years, probably much longer. I have seen it only in Bali and Java. The music is provided by professionals. After the prelude, during the drama itself the music is coordinated with the action. The shadow puppets move in rhythm to the music. The musicians put in a lengthy apprenticeship. The master and his leading assistants make their living as musicians.

When compared to Javanese wayang kulit music, it is clear that the indigenous Bali Aga music has had a strong inflluence on professional Balinese wayang kulit music.

RNJ

http://www.bali-indonesia.com/culture/bali-aga.html
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 29 2012 0:21:01

BarkellWH

RE: Examples of good folk music (in reply to Richard Jernigan

quote:

As Islam became dominant around 1500 in Java, the Hindu Majopahit aristocracy fled to Bali.

Although Islam pushed the Hindu Majapahit aristocracy to Bali, where its remnants flourish today as a unique form of Hindu-Balinese culture, most Javanese today bear their Muslim identity lightly, atop a very deep Hindu-Buddhist legacy. Most Javanese are "Abangan," that is, they are Muslims but not strict in their religion, whereas most of the outer islands of Indonesia are "Santri," or much more pious in their religion. As a result, the Javanese court traditions are much more Hindu in their observances than Muslim.

I lived in Java for four years, and I really grew to appreciate the Javanese performances of the great Indian-Sanskrit epics: the "Ramayana" and the "Mahabharata," both in the wayang Kulit "shadow play" and in actual performances with live actors. The music was wonderful, and the stories timeless. The Ramayana is the story of Rama and his bride Sinta, who is kidnapped and rescued by the Monkey-God Hanoman. The Mahabharata is the story of two families' struggle for power. It is interesting that the stories and music from the two great Indian-Sanskrit epics remain so popular in Java. This is real folklore and folk music, although very different than what we in the West are familiar with. I had learned (and still speak) Indonesian very well. Indonesian is a nationalistic term for what actually is a variation of Malay, and Malay is very largely based on Sanskrit. So it helped to understand the language.

Another Javanese musical form that could be called "folk" is the gamelan orchestra playing with a "sinden," a female singer singing in Javanese. Very haunting. Very beautiful.

Cheers,

Bill

And the end of the fight is a tombstone white,
With the name of the late deceased,
And the epitaph drear, "A fool lies here,
Who tried to hustle the East."

--Rudyard Kipling
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 29 2012 1:47:50

Richard Jernigan

[Deleted] 

Post has been moved to the Recycle Bin at Sep. 29 2012 6:29:24
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 29 2012 5:30:37

Anders Eliasson

Interesting post Richard. The music... I have to be in a very special mood in order to listen to it for more than a few minuts.
Its culture of course. I´m not used to it. Just as many people cant stand listening to the introvert compositions of Shostakovitch, which I totally love doing.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 29 2012 8:24:57

Ruphus

I used to think that folk music means modern interpretation and modern creation of folklore kinds. Usually I prefer folk music to folklore as it spices up traditional interpretation in terms of arrangement, musical variety within a piece and variable rhythm. Preserving the style, yet freeing it from lingering and often times unrelieved simplicity.

Some names of corresponding interprets / bands of folk music I was listening to in the venyl times: Steely Dan, Pentangle, Jose Afonso, Magna Carta, An Triskell, Tri Atma.

- These days scarcely listening to venyls, as my tangential record player seems a bit out of order, making me uncertain about possibly harming the LPs. Need to recollect the albums as CD, if available.

I know that there is still a lot of harmonically and rhythmically rich stuff waiting for me to be collected from the "celtic" / Irish realm, from traditional African choruses and from Gregorian ones.

Also latin folclore and folk music, and the special charme of American native musical tradition. Am further interested in hearing modern creations of the latter . - Got one such album that´s not too bad, but there must be much better still. Their patterns should also yield great for rock music, in the way like Paul Revere & The Raiders´ "Indian Reservation" song.

Ruphus
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 29 2012 10:21:14

Anders Eliasson

So that sounds interesting Ruphus. Why dont you give an example?

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 29 2012 10:29:10

Anders Eliasson

Ok, many may not like this statement, but to me this is folk music and of a very high quality. I simply cant see why its not folk music.... (its very distorted unfortunately)

And for those interested in knowing more about Tio Borrico, IMHO one of the best Jerez singers.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 29 2012 10:37:11

Ruphus

quote:

ORIGINAL: Anders Eliasson

So that sounds interesting Ruphus. Why dont you give an example?

Can´t access Youtube, unfortunately.
Only possible through cumbersome VPN, which on top has been stocked with nasty spyware at last update.

Ruphus
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 29 2012 11:05:41

mezzo

quote:

Tio Borrico

he might be good in his field, but i never heard him doing such stuff like at 0:07

"The most important part of Flamenco is not in knowing how to interpret it. The higher art is in knowing how to listen." (Luis Agujetas)
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 29 2012 13:54:57

mezzo

I like folk music of southern Italy : tammuriata, pizzicata, tarantella...

Since the Mezzogiorno has some caracteristic that rub off on folkorista too
http://youtu.be/eHlbf41xZrU

"The most important part of Flamenco is not in knowing how to interpret it. The higher art is in knowing how to listen." (Luis Agujetas)
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 29 2012 14:21:43

shaun

Although modern blues is sometimes a bit camp, the old style blues was very much in the folk music tradition.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 29 2012 15:32:09

Anders Eliasson

Mezzo, you´re destroying my thread. Folksmusik internazional.... Jahh sheisse.

So, is blues folkmusic? The guy sure is cool and has something to say...

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 29 2012 15:42:08

shaun

I'd say Mississippi delta blues and hill country blues are folk music. The other forms of blues that were spawned from the Mississippi forms are less so in my opinion. The old blues was derived from the human condition whereas the modern blues you here in the blues clubs today is derived from the old blues.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 29 2012 17:30:10

[Deleted] (in reply to Anders Eliasson

[Deleted by Admins]
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 29 2012 19:33:48

Anders Eliasson

RE: Examples of good folk music (in reply to shaun

Shaun
I follow your idea of what kind of blues is folk music, and to me Tio Borrico is in the same. Authentical and totally 100% representing a local style.

Lionell. Nice uploads. And very complicated music. Very much culture from Argentina. Complicated, elaborated and full of corazón.
Cedar soundboard. A very good choice for all kinds of latin music.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 29 2012 20:30:55

estebanana

The Baka and other Pygmy peoples from Central Africa really deserve long close listening.

The music these tribes produce is unique, but also related to many other forms of music from Europe. Some of the compositions they create are ancient and polyphonic. These forms predate European polyphony created in the late middle ages. I also hear concepts related to Ornette Coleman's idea called "Harmelodics", Philip Glass, Meredeth Monk and Bobby Mc Ferrin. This is just one clip, but the music of these people is quite varied and rewarding to explore. I don't know what to call it or if it needs a label, all I know is I heard this stuff in African History class in college and have been in love with it ever since. Also check out the mic stands.

https://www.stephenfaulkguitars.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 30 2012 0:51:13

Richard Jernigan

Thanks for the Cacho Tirao, Shroomy. Years ago, some of us in Austin were great fans of Atahualpa Yupanqui, copping guitar solos off his LPs
Here is a milonga, an Argentinian folk form, with words by Atahualpa

If you click on the YouTube logo, the resulting window lets you see the printed lyrics.

Here's "Zamba de mi Pago." Atahualpa still had his youthful chops when he recordd this. "Zamba" is a folkloric dance form, "mi Pago" is Argentinian dialect for "my village". Atahualpa arranged it from a piano version by Los Hermanos Ábalos.

http://www.foroflamenco.com/tm.asp?m=211883&p=1&tmode=1&smode=1

I learned if from a transcription by my friend Jerry Lobdill, but of course never came close to Atahualpa`s virtuosity.

RNJ
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 30 2012 5:49:43

kozz

quote:

Since there a general idea here, that folk music is out and not interesting, I´d like those of you who actually think that folk music is great to upload an example or two.

Hello Anders,
probably you might have watched this allready, Latcho Drom by Tony Gatlif:

the violin part is here:

I am not so much into violins, but the guy plucking his string in the beginning I found quite amazing...
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 30 2012 6:37:15

[Deleted] (in reply to Anders Eliasson

[Deleted by Admins]
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 30 2012 6:38:03

Ruphus

Yep, forgot to mention the traditions around Mississipi; the ancestors of rock!

Never wished as much to have a broadband connex and uncensored access to check out fella´s recommendations like with this thread. :O(

Ruphus
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 30 2012 10:09:29

hamia

RE: Examples of good folk music (in reply to Ruphus

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ruphus

Yep, forgot to mention the traditions around Mississipi; the ancestors of rock!

Never wished as much to have a broadband connex and uncensored access to check out fella´s recommendations like with this thread. :O(

Ruphus

Like you, Youtube is blocked where I am. Are you trying free VPN? In my experience they aren't so good. I use a commercial one which works ok. PM me if you want the name (the censors might be monitoring open channels - lol!).
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 30 2012 11:59:07

Ruphus

RE: Examples of good folk music (in reply to hamia

Hi Hamia,

Yep, it´s a free VPN.
Will PM you, to bookmark the info in case of inevitable future demand.

Thank you!

Ruphus
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 30 2012 12:04:19

Anders Eliasson

Aaahhh Lacho Drom. Long time no see. I couldnt remember that scene with the old man with the violin. What is he dragging in order to get that sound????

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 30 2012 16:27:58

BarkellWH

RE: Examples of good folk music (in reply to Guest

Shroomy,

Since you are originally from Argentina, I have to say that one of my favorite pieces is a poem, put to music and accompanied by guitar, entitled "La Leyenda del Parron," by the Uruguayan poet Juan Pablo Lopez. When played well with an accompanying guitar, the recitation of the poem is like a ballad, and it tells an interesting story. I first heard it when I was assigned to the American Embassy in Santiago, Chile. Several of us hired horses and a couple of "Arrieros" (guides) and made a five-day horse back trip into the Andes. The guides provisioned us and cooked meals, as well as brought along much good Chilean wine. One of the guides brought his guitar, and the first night we sat around the fire singing old Chilean "Huaso" (Gaucho) songs.

After the wine had flowed copiously, the Arriero with the guitar started playing his guitar and reciting "La Leyenda del Parron." The rest of us listened, and you could tell everyone was absolutely entranced. Not a word was spoken as the arriero continued his recitation, accompanying with the guitar. I had never heard it before, but I was mesmerized, and when we returned to Santiago, I immediately tried to find a cassette (this was in 1988) with the poem set to accompanying guitar. It took awhile, but I finally found it in a shop in Santiago.

Since then, it has remained one of my favorite pieces. It may not be on the same literary level as "Martin Fierro," but it is close enough, and, when played and recited well, it is great.

Cheers,

Bill

And the end of the fight is a tombstone white,
With the name of the late deceased,
And the epitaph drear, "A fool lies here,
Who tried to hustle the East."

--Rudyard Kipling
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 30 2012 17:00:32

Richard Jernigan

RE: Examples of good folk music (in reply to shaun

The Chicago blues of McKinley Morganfield "Muddy Waters" is a step removed from the country blues of Bukka White. Though more sophisticated in a way, it still shows strong folk roots.

Muddy Waters, guitar and vocal, Little Walter harmonica, Willie Dixon, bass. All were born and raised in the Mississippi/Lousiana delta area, and moved to Chicago as adults.

An intermediate stage between Bukka White and Muddy Waters is Robert Johnson, perhaps the strongest influence on the British blues players of the 1960s, many of whom went on to careers in rock 'n roll. Johnson was born and raised in the Mississippi delta, and died at the young age of 27. His recorded material has strong folk elements. Many pieces are Johnson's personal versions of blues sung by a number of other musicians.

RNJ
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 30 2012 20:32:58

kozz

quote:

Aaahhh Lacho Drom. Long time no see. I couldnt remember that scene with the old man with the violin. What is he dragging in order to get that sound????

Good question, I assumed it was a string, but looking at the video again it looks if he's playing Air-Violin
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 1 2012 5:46:02
Page:   [1] 2 3    >   >>
All Forums >>Discussions >>Off Topic >> Page: [1] 2 3    >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post