Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

whats your resonance   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>Off Topic >> Page: [1] 2    >   >>
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

Kevin James Shanahan

whats your resonance 

I have been checking out a lot of physics theories on youtube . The most exciting for me is that we are all made of tiny particles of resonating light and that these particles respond to frequencies . It made me ask myself the question what is my intention behind playing music , what effect am I hoping to create for myself and my environment . Also got me thinking that the phisical act of touching the strings of my guitar , or fretting is not where my sound is coming from , more so from my intention to make sound . I found this little clip interesting , I found my special note to be B , interestingly a fifth of E . Which has also led me to alegrias as my focus of study and thankfully the intention of this palo is joy . Anyway I hope some of you find this interesting and perhaps have opinoins on music and intention .

Peace.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 21 2012 21:10:53

KMMI77

RE: whats your resonance (in reply to Kevin James Shanahan

Hi Kevin,

I tried the finger strength thing listening to all the notes two times. I wasn't able to feel any strength difference being influenced by a particular note. Maybe that particular exercise doesn't work so well for everyone.

I really tried to keep an open mind and allow myself to be influenced if possible, but I felt that my finger strength was being overly influenced by the extent of relaxation applied to the first extended finger. I was able to stay relaxed while listening to all the notes. I'm interested to hear how it works for others?

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 21 2012 21:36:39

Munin

I think the video thumbnail speaks volumes about what we're dealing with here Sorry, no offense.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 21 2012 22:28:23

Kevin James Shanahan

What does the thumbnail say ? and just for the record I expect very varied opinoins on this way of thinking , no offence will be taken .

Peace.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 21 2012 22:39:53

KMMI77

If a note does result in added strength for some people, Then I can understand the feeling of strength having a positive effect within the healing process, but a note resulting in tension could just as likely be one that is conflicting with ones frequency causing the body to react in a negative way.

So i think it's simplest just to listen to music that helps you feel good

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 21 2012 23:04:50

keith

amazing what some will do with a little knowledge but not thinking something the whole way through. problem number 1--he is both the subject and the person running the experiment and as it is taught in research methodology classes, one cannot do both without a lot of bias being thrown in the mix. problem 2--he is not quantifying the effects of the different notes--that is, what are the units of change? will a given note increase the effect by 1% 10% 50%? problem 3, there is no indication the note he is playing is a true on the spot note (say 440 hz for the note A). the note could be 442hz.

bad science i would say. the theory may be valid but the research methodology is not.

too bad he could not figure out the combination of notes that would have encouraged him to give up the z.z. top look.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 21 2012 23:20:33

Kevin James Shanahan

Here is another example of the effect of frequencies , a lot more scientific . The point of the matter I am interested in , if we are made of particles far smaller than these grains of sand how is our music afecting us .

Peace.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 21 2012 23:44:21

z6

Can I take your first sentence as my new sig? "I've been checking out a lot of physics theories on Youtube"

How low have ZZtop sunk?

We're all made of tiny particles of resonating light? I don't think that's something you should excite yourself over, even if it said so on Youtube.

He was feeling the joy though. His fingers must have been jammed up his butt off camera. And his guitar had no E sharp. That would negate the experiment, no?

And your sound does, in fact, come from your physical interaction with the guitar. (Or, to get a little technical, one bunch of resonating light particles interacting with another 'responding' to 'frequencies'.) If intent were all that mattered I'd be Paco.

Anyway, this guy mentioned his video. How much does it cost and do I have to commit suicide when the spaceship arrives disguised as a comet?

Why is it interesting to you that your 'special note' is A fifth above E? Would a fourth be uninteresting? What if the guitar is out of tune? Do microtones matter in this macro vision of the micro world?

In seriousness, for a moment, there are thousands of wonderful books, not on Youtube with nutjobs trying to steal money from the feeble-minded, that will explain non-bonkers theories. The real story, as far as we, as a species, have been able to find out, is infinitely more interesting. There is an energy-matter equivalency, as Einstein's most famous equation shows, and light is energy. But, and any physicists out there can correct me, it is only a 'belief' that in some corners of the universe, such as neutron stars, where there are unimaginably strong magnetic fields, there could be photon-photon collisions that result in the creation of matter. (Or possibly in a particle collider, and only for trillionths of a second.)

That is to say, no amount of tofu or positive thinking will have any bearing on what we are made of or whether we can commune with some inner physical core... with our guitars in C major.

You're 'avin' a laugh mate, an't ya? Nice video though. I watched it to the end... just in case.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 21 2012 23:44:24

Kevin James Shanahan

ZZ's happy note was E my happy note that I was pretty loose on alowing myself to have was B ( not A the fourth ) . And as far as I know the the resonance of a root and fifth played together is the most pleasing sound to humans . Great input z6 I appreceiate the different angles on this .

Peace.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 21 2012 23:55:37

z6

quote:

if we are made of particles far smaller than these grains of sand how is our music afecting us .

Why do you need the bit about particles? What did particles ever do to you? You can use sound waves to smash buildings. I've had to run out of a practise room for fear of a female opera singer making my ears bleed. Evelyn Glennie, the Scottish percussionist, is deaf but one of the world's most accomplished musicians.

What gives with all the voodoo? Why isn't everyday reality enough?

No need for any unrelated conditionals. Music affects us. Sound waves affect us but music is something we bestow upon those 'frequencies'. Keep the particles out of it man. And Youtube is for dancing kittens; it excels in that field.

But it was fun. Keith, I see you got in first with the corny ZzTop reference. And I have their first album as well. It was downhill all the way from there. Even the beards couldn't save them.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 21 2012 23:59:01

Kevin James Shanahan

The god particle discovered by the hadron collider .

Peace.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 22 2012 0:17:51

tri7/5

Kevin, since you're interested in this it seems you should do some research into the ancient solfegio frequencies sometimes also referred to as the frequencies of the universe. I know a guy who tunes his guitar to a solfegio frequency which I believe is A = 417 Hz.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 22 2012 0:20:08

z6

quote:

And as far as I know the the resonance of a root and fifth played together is the most pleasing sound to humans .

Kevin, I'm glad you're taking it all in the spirit intended.

Here's your homework for the weekend. Go to the orchestral thread (like it, don't like it, etc.) scroll down to Estebanana's posting of the Webern and write down how many perfect fifths (or to be more 'rigorous' root/fifth perfect fifths) aren't there. (You will be tested!)

'Pleasing' is opinion. How about the sound of dogs vomiting in perfect fifths. Notso hotso, yeah?

So, you're saying that, even without jamming your fingers up yer back passage, and while playing a tortured C major scale, you happen to be 'made of' the most pleasing sound to humans?

Man, you must be catnip to the ladies. I'll bet my particles are all dissonance and farty bassoons. It's not fair.

See what insomnia does to a man? I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 22 2012 0:22:36

z6

quote:

The god particle discovered by the hadron collider .

I'll see your God particle and raise you two bosons, a baryon and a Milky Way wrapper.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 22 2012 0:36:52

estebanana

My old girlfriend was into this kind of healing stuff. She wanted me to lay on this table full of strings and vibrate me instead of have sex.

Give me minute and I'll find this book she gave me that traces the Chaladmi patterns back to the 19th century tests.

I wish Ron was still with us because this is the kind of topic I could write about and ensure that he would fall out of his chair laughing. He would then send mea note telling me it's Friday night and I should be out chasing women. Ah....

https://www.stephenfaulkguitars.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 22 2012 1:43:03

estebanana

RE: whats your resonance (in reply to z6

quote:

Here's your homework for the weekend. Go to the orchestral thread (like it, don't like it, etc.) scroll down to Estebanana's posting of the Webern and write down how many perfect fifths (or to be more 'rigorous' root/fifth perfect fifths) aren't there. (You will be test

Interesting...those pieces of Webern are 12 tone compositions. Previous to atonal composition in Western classical music harmonizing in fifths was almost always a sin. It was done, but not a lot. Gesualdo and Wagner, who lived three centuries apart are the main offenders. Harmonic movement in fifths is generally found in Asian musics from China, Japan and some South East Asian countries.

I've never thought of fifths as pleasing in themselves, but V-I or IV-I resolutions to chord sequences resulting in that back to tonic cadence is good. It keeps you for going crazy if they let you hang without closing. There are false cadences in Western music, Beethoven mastered them and used them all over the place. Beethoven's false cadences remind me of the way extra sixes work in flamenco, they almost close, but keep on rolling until they do close keep yo in suspense.

In Bach I often find the most amazing, pleasing or profound interval leaps in any music. Seldom are those leaps fifths unless they are closing a line and need to be fifths to give closure.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 22 2012 2:05:35

estebanana

Wow z6 your sarcasm amazes even me.

Kevin look up 'Monochord tables'. There is whole genre of this kind of healing with sound vibration called somatic healing. Some of it is far fetched quackery and some of it is interesting.

I live in Northern California where there is a dearth of this kind of stuff, whole free monthly magazines devoted to advertisements for people who practice this stuff. I'm skeptical of almost all of it. I get tired of the hippies really fast, I think too much bliss leads to unreality. If hot goth chicks were into this kind of stuff I could see it in whole other light, but most of the time it's the boiled lotus eaters who...I could write book, but you would not want to read it.

That guy in the video reminded me more of Rasputin than Billy Gibbons ( from ZZ Top).

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 22 2012 2:36:20

Kevin James Shanahan

Thx estebanana , I will check out the monochord tables . It is hard to find a way between sceptics and bad hippy practice but I am keen to explore . Thx dyingsea I will also look up solfegio frequency . I have also heard that A 445 is a more harmonius tuning , which is the equivelent of a capo at the first fret as common in flamenco .

Peace.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 22 2012 3:09:44

Yojimbo

The internet is a great vehicle for all sorts of wackos to put their crazy nonsensical theories in front of people.

And some people actually respond......

The universe is indeed expanding - to get away from this planet.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 22 2012 5:29:08

Kevin James Shanahan

Like Ruben Diaz

Peace.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 22 2012 7:48:51

mark indigo

RE: whats your resonance (in reply to estebanana

quote:

I live in Northern California where there is a dearth of this kind of stuff

did you mean dearth? as in "an inadequate amount"? i'm thinking maybe you meant "glut"?!
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 22 2012 9:51:50

mark indigo

quote:

if we are made of particles far smaller than these grains of sand how is our music afecting us .

the music i listen to doesn't sound anything like this, if it did maybe my internal organs would be distorted into weird shapes too.

seriously, what is this all about? if you are a tortured soul desperately seeking inner peace then i would recommend psychotherapy and/or vipassana meditation....

....and if that doesn't work, try medication.

If you want to play music, then learn, practise, and and above all play and enjoy playing - this "energy" stuff will not help you become a better musician.

the way this hippy appropriation of science works is a bit like this: you can read that each atom is like a bunch of tomato pips flying round the edge of a football field with a cherry stone in the middle, so all of the solid matter we take for granted is actually FULL OF SPACE!!!! So if we could resonate our atoms at the right frequency we could actually WALK THROUGH WALLS!!!

yeah right
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 22 2012 10:10:12

El Kiko

RE: whats your resonance (in reply to mark indigo

quote:

did you mean dearth? as in "an inadequate amount"?

correct , and what is an adequate ammount of wierdo vids ? it suggests some kind of level or equilibrium of nutty videos has been surpassed .....

I actually watched the begining and started to do it ...then ........Suddenly ..

.....................' out of nowhere.........

...........when I was about half way through............

......I was hit by a realization ............

It was ..........

What am i doing !!! and then reality came back and i was OK again so i didnt have to watch the rest of the vid ....whew ... almost saw it all ......
so if you have a special note , that makes you stronger or whatever ...what do you do with that info ? what happens next?
is it a key thing or just one note? , as you can nearly always find a lot of notes in most compositions , and notes occur in many keys ...
So what do you do with this old mans revelation???

More interesting would be Synesthesia, where people 'see' colours associated with notes etc....and thats real....

Don't trust Atoms.....they make up everything.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 22 2012 10:18:45

XXX

People have the ability to fool themselves to extraordinary degrees. It becomes obvious with this hippy science only because it is not an accepted way of thinking. Less obvious when people risk their lives go to war for a country or blow up themselves in front of embassies. Of all the ways to get rid of your sanity this seems the least harming one to me though, tbh.

Фламенко
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 22 2012 10:20:29

keith

what this internet dude needs is a pair of cheap sunglasses.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 22 2012 10:42:13

Kevin James Shanahan

Thx Kiko for mentioning Synesthesia as real . I would like to know how you got such a firm belief in this phenomina . Thank you Deniz very profound words . Unfortunately this thread has become more of an attack on our hippy kineseologist . Interestingly though this thread has shown how still people feel the need to ridicule anything unproven . This energy stuff that I am interested in for me is a very real pursuit of becoming a better musician / performer . How you enter a room will effect the whole dynamic of an occasion . So how you enter a room open your guitar case and start playing is very important .

Peace.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 22 2012 15:15:40

El Kiko

quote:

Thx Kiko for mentioning Synesthesia as real . I would like to know how you got such a firm belief in this phenomina .

I saw a few programmes about it . but it was more taste/sound and numbers to colours than anything , but its been well researched and im sure there is a lot of stuff online about it .
Also almost every one uses it to some lesser extent , eg, by agreeing that low bass sounds are 'heavy ' or 'round' and treble sounds described as 'thin' or 'bright'
and many phrases such as 'thats a very loud shirt you have ' and all that kind of stuff is a mixture of senses really .
A bass note has no weight but it described as heavy almost invariably .....

thats all

Don't trust Atoms.....they make up everything.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 22 2012 16:12:39

z6

Synesthesia is an involuntary reported phenomenon with gargantuan amounts of reports ranging over hundreds of years.

Some researchers believe they are getting closer to an understanding using brain imaging.

Also, it has the added bonus of not sounding completely nuts. It seems as if the people who report it somehow get their senses, or processing gear, mangled in some way.

Implying that Kiko is stating something similar to this guy and his fingerbutting is missing a phenomenon that really is interesting.

The way you open your guitar case may indeed have some bearing but I would guess it is so small as to forever remain pointless to even bother about. For example, the way a pool hustler opens his cue case would provide evidence, to the trained eye, of his level of skill, and thus offer an edge to an opponent who might be aware of the level of 'handicap' he would require to make some money.

Ergo, the way you open your guitar case might tell the trained eye whether you can play or not, before you have even touched the guitar.

But no waves or particles or quantum effects will be massaging your actual ability. That is already where it is and where it will go according to hard work and study and experience.

This is not a matter of open- or closed-mindedness it is nothing more than recognizing delusional or corrupt behaviour. (The preacher may believe he has a close relationship with his maker but that does not stop him from making a good living out of the gullible.)

Synesthesia is just a name for what seems like a very wide variety of reported experience, but that fact that such similar experiences are reported across vast scales of time and geography, and culture implies it is an area worth pursuing; especially since it is often accompanied by profound abilities. (For example, I once saw a young boy play piano. He was 12 years old. He was simply insanely talented. He babbled on and on about how he saw everything in colors. Everything he played he saw in colors. He had over forty concertos in his repertoire. His teacher said the usual stuff about photographic memory, etc., and I don't know what happened to him. Maybe he ended up competing with all the other crazy virtuosos out there? Maybe he walked into the sea. I do not know. But he wasn't even aware that such things were unusual.)

Your guy is just a boob. But you're entitled, like the rest of us, to use any and all psychological tricks or crutches to help our progress or knowledge.

But there are differences. Religion and science battled long ago and religion lost.

People can believe what they believe. But Kiko doesn't have to believe in what is currently called synesthesia for those reported effects to exist. Indeed, 'accusing' Kiko of demonstrating some kind of belief, similar to your own, touches upon some of the most interesting areas of science and the real differences between loony tunes beliefs (e.g. fairies, or visions of Jesus, or light particles vibrating in such a way as to induce a personal resonant frequency, in a Western scale.) and as yet not understood phenomena.

And remember that the reporters of these phenomena are almost entirely unaware that such a thing has a name, or even that others do not have the same experiences. This is not some pathetic creature talking s h i t, it is a body of evidence that bears further investigation, even though that evidence is mostly reports of personal experiences.

Personally, I always open my guitar case very carefully. I've dinged more guitars than I'd care to mention. But unless I actually concentrate quite hard when I open the case, I end up putting the guitar in ding peril.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 22 2012 16:29:05

Ruphus

RE: whats your resonance (in reply to z6

quote:

ORIGINAL: z6

Why isn't everyday reality enough?

Well said!
And damn, how exactly this question is spinning around my head while watching the world go down.

It´s not that mysthicism or the unknown ought to be strictly rejected. Only if people knew the significant difference between considering something very vague and the one of strongly believing in it.

There have been quite a number of weird / unexplainable appearing orrurances in my personal life, yet not necessarily making me a believer of metaphysics.
And when nothing else in reach I have freed former girl friends from diverse kind of aches by laying on of hands.
Though it appeared to work, it never made me swear by it or enforcing. Rather did I forget about it until my dogs got severally sick with slim chances according to the doc and his means. He then was surprised that they did survive.

Similar when the two male dogs became painfully effected by a desease called Panosteitis. First with Charlie who developed worse and worse until ... He healed right after me in the end tried to help. Same with his brother Hermann whome I treated days ago, with him improving right afterwards, now being almost fully back to order.
Yet, as long as individuals fancying to heal by laying on of hands are being proven unable to verify blindly whether others´limbs are being held under their hands, I file the procedure as vague and imaginative.

The actual and definite of this world is so unbelievable, surprising, thrilling or shocking, and that while yet well informed individuals are having a clue of only just a minute particle of the fascinating reality out there.

Why the hell, for any other reason than shirking from the challenge of learning and recognizing, would people seek and evade to superstition? Let alone replacing the difinitely known by Jumbo Mumbo, wearing down, warshipping and even killing for fancy.

The answer is cowardliness before sober entity, and mental laziness. For, the comfort with superstition is being the quick and instantly ready answer.

The simplicity of mental escape has led us to the brink.

Ruphus
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 22 2012 16:35:19

z6

RE: whats your resonance (in reply to XXX

I agree Deniz.

But do people really call this 'hippy science' now? If they do, that's a shame. The hippy movement yielded a lot of good things, even though it was very short and mostly associated with the children of the new American middle class.

Your point is well-taken and reminds me of the Physics Nobel Prize winner Steven Weinberg's assertion:

"Religion is an insult to human dignity. With or without it you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion."

He had some other things to say that might be relevant here, if we had any idea what fundamental particles were:

"Elementary particles are terribly boring, which is one reason why we're so interested in them."
"Elementary particles and the laws of Physics" in The 1986 Dirac Memorial Lectures (1987)

And if you want something approaching the metaphysical, and not entirely unrelated to the subtle differences between truth and h o r s e s h i t:

"It seems that scientists are often attracted to beautiful theories in the way that insects are attracted to flowers — not by logical deduction, but by something like a sense of smell."
Physics Today (November 2005) page 35
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 22 2012 17:35:02
Page:   [1] 2    >   >>
All Forums >>Discussions >>Off Topic >> Page: [1] 2    >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote