Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

Building violin no. 1   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>Lutherie >> Page: [1] 2 3 4 5    >   >>
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

Anders Eliasson

Building violin no. 1 

I will try to participate a bit on the luthiers section again. I´ll try to concentrate on practical and direct issues and I´ll try to stay clear of all the supermental discussions that some members seem to like and which have dominated the foro for a long time now and which to me has very little to do with building stringed instruments.

So here we go and totally off - topic:
When I´ve had time, the last month or so I´ve been doing little things and one of those has been to start the building of what hopefully will end being my violin number 1. Its a journey into a new world and I´m where many of you guys are/where when you made/make your first guitar. Its, of course an advantage to have built 100 guitars. I have the tools and some of the tecniques, but violin making is something very different from guitarmaking. I´m not going to pretend I know things I dont know, so this violin is copy all the way through or better said a copy of a copy of a copy. I´m using Strobels books on the subject and he builds a copy of a french copy of a Stradivarius.
Good enough for me.
So far I´ve made the sides and linings. I was worried about bending the 1mm thick highly flamed mapple sides. Specially the middle part, the C´s, but it went pretty flawless and I´m happy with the result. My bending iron is a home made one made of a 25mm irontube, a stripped chineese soldering iron and a bit of aluminium cloth to stuff itt all together inside the bending iron. Its a matter of taking your time and work slow. What a joy, this with working slowly. I´m so happy I´m not working out there in the "real" world where everyone is running faster every day. What a monster of society we are creating.

Images are resized automatically to a maximum width of 800px

Attachment (2)

Blog: http://news-from-the-workshop.blogspot.com/
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 26 2012 16:10:09

Gimar

RE: Building violin no. 1 (in reply to Anders Eliasson

Hey Anders, seems like a nice project you are working on, keep us posted!
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 26 2012 16:33:23

jshelton5040

Nice work Anders. What a fun project!

Like you I've been considering a new endeavor. If I can find room in the shop I'm planning to build a harpsichord for my 71st birthday.

John Shelton - www.sheltonfarrettaguitars.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 26 2012 18:13:57

Dave K

Looking professional already Anders - Can't wait to hear you fiddle a tune on it.

Avise La Fin
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 26 2012 18:31:14

tri7/5

Are you going for more of a classical sound or a folk/bluegrass fiddle type of sound? I don't even know if there is a construction difference between the two or if it's ultimately the player getting what he wants out of the instrument.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 26 2012 18:42:27

Anders Eliasson

RE: Building violin no. 1 (in reply to jshelton5040

quote:

If I can find room in the shop I'm planning to build a harpsichord for my 71st birthday.

Cool. Isnt that dificult??? If you do it, post some photos. I like the words "fun project" Thats what its supposed to be. Its fun to build guitars as well, but after 100, it can get more like work if you know what I mean. Building a violin will hopefully bring some fresh air into the workshop. A new point of view
Dave.. You´ll have to wait. This is not a speedy project
Dyingsea: I´ll go for a good sound. In general, violins/fiddles are the same thing. It could be interesting to make a fiddle with a more nasal open sound and with some crusty midrange. But I think It´ll be a project after violin number 25 So for now, I can live with a good standard stradivarius sound
It takes a good time to know what you´re doing when building instruments and I dont think I´ll go pro in the violin world.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 26 2012 18:49:45

estebanana

Rage on quietly against the monster Anders.

https://www.stephenfaulkguitars.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 26 2012 19:49:06

jshelton5040

quote:

ORIGINAL: Anders Eliasson

Cool. Isnt that dificult??? If you do it, post some photos. I like the words "fun project"

There are many books on the subject and one can buy premade parts like jacks and action parts to speed up the process. There are even kits available but they are very expensive. I doubt it's more difficult than building a violin but it might take a bit longer . I've wanted to build one for may years but it takes a lot of space since I see no point in building a small one.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 26 2012 20:33:03

Anders Eliasson

John,
I made a kit violin this winter. A stewmac kit. I tuned it and did everything to make it sound and it realy works very well and is a good violin. BUT.. I cant really accept that its a kit instrument and thats why I´ve started from scratch.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 26 2012 21:56:59

jshelton5040

quote:

ORIGINAL: Anders Eliasson

I cant really accept that its a kit instrument and thats why I´ve started from scratch.

I understand completely Anders although we buy premade rosettes, tuners, frets and bone for our guitars to cut the cost one would feel kind of tertiary to the production if he let someone else select the wood, bend the sides, etc. I had an offer once from some rich relatives to start and run a guitar factory and couldn't even imagine how to do it. What a bunch of dreamers luthiers are...then again, maybe it's just sloth.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 26 2012 23:32:49

odinz

Awesome Anders... I think I have asked you before if you had interest in this, seems you do...
I really admire that you do stuff yourself these days too, even your bending iron.
My great grandfather started to build a house in the early 30s and it took really long until it was liveable, because he made everything by himself, even a large portion of the tools.
Even though he lived there with the family when it was not completely done he never called it home until he had finished making a carved figure to be set atop the doorway.
My grandma remembers that he sat down laughing and smoking an overfilled pipe afterwards.

So, do you think there would be a possibility that I can own a violin made by you someday to match my precious blanca?

It would be an honour owning one more of your instruments Anders.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 27 2012 2:09:45

FlamencoD

Very cool. I hope that you can make some videos of someone playing it when you are done.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 27 2012 3:43:04

Anders Eliasson

John, I make my own homegrown rosettes for the cery same reason.
Jonas, This with the bending iron was mostly a money thing. It cost me 3,- €. I dont mind buying tools.
And of course I will make a video and I will be playing it myself. I´m getting pretty good now.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 27 2012 7:22:48

krichards

Great project Anders.
I made my one and only violin 33 years ago, under the guidance of a violin maker.
After that I moved on to guitars and I've managed 28 in the intervening years.

But you've got me thinking........maybe another violin one day.

Kevin Richards

http://www.facebook.com/#!/kevin.richards.1048554
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 27 2012 7:46:42

estebanana

Anders,

I'm really happy to see you started your violin. It will be fun to watch. I have my cello moving along, but it's going slow.

What have you decided to do for varnish?

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 27 2012 23:09:12

Ricardo

Cool man, good project. Now, is that the front of the violin, or the BACK????
just kidding.

CD's and transcriptions available here:
www.ricardomarlow.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 28 2012 4:12:23

estebanana

RE: Building violin no. 1 (in reply to Ricardo

quote:

Now, is that the front of the violin, or the BACK????
just kidding.

That is the interior resonator panel, fool.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 28 2012 4:42:08

Anders Eliasson

Varnish is going to be sugarseal and true oil (oil varnish) I´ve done that before and I liked it.

Sometimes my use of language confuses me. I´m a dane in Spain and everything connected with instrumentmaking or boatbuilding is in english. All my jigs and molds heve things written on them in english and I never speak english. Its a bit weird.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 28 2012 7:19:13

Flamingrae

quote:

I´m a dane in Spain and everything connected with instrumentmaking or boatbuilding is in english.

Ah, so the Dane in Spain goes mainly against the grain? - sorry, but I could'nt resist.

Well done Anders - it's good to try something new every now and then. I still have a violin that needs finishing and a viola, no corners - that wants some varnish. I'll never forget my violin making skills - taught me so much about wood and instrument construction. The bass bar was always the hardest part to fit and get right. Later on I got into oil varnish making. Thankfully it lasts a long time as it's a bit smelly. French polish is a bit more straight forward. Best of luck with this.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 28 2012 9:51:48

Anders Eliasson

Making the scroll and head of the violin

So here´s another one of those processes that was unsure about. It looks so difficult and it aint easy, but everything have their tricks and so does the scroll of a violin. Lots of small cuts, patience, very sharp gouges and some homemade scrapers.
This is the way it looks now. Its far from being finished, The pin in the scroll is not totally straight from all angles, but you have to look with a critical eye to see that.
I will leave it like it is for now and do the final shaping and finishing off when I´ve made the box of the violin.

Images are resized automatically to a maximum width of 800px

Attachment (4)

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 3 2012 8:28:52

johnnefastis

Hi Anders

I just watched "El Guitarreo" this weekend... inspirational work well done to you and Simon for that. If I ever make a guitar I think I will wear out the pause button.

Now I am wondering.

quote:

I dont think I´ll go pro in the violin world.

Why not ? You make amazing guitars and thats not easy. Is it just because violins have more compound shapes and a more complex geometry, that makes them harder ?

Don't stop posting about this project, its great to see.

Cheers
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 3 2012 9:43:42

gerundino63

This is a sculpture Anders!
Very nice!

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 3 2012 9:51:51

Anders Eliasson

John
The main thing in being a pro is not to build but to sell........ Besides, I think I´ll better finish a couple of these things before I start dreaming
Also, the violin world is pretty closed and very oldfashion.

Peter gave the answer to what the difference between building a guitar and a violin. On the guitar, you mainly work plates almost even thickness and the instrument is more square, the violin is sculpted and has round forms all over the place.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 3 2012 16:11:16

Dave K

quote:

The pin in the scroll is not totally straight from all angles, but you have to look with a critical eye to see that.

That is what makes it art I believe - You may be the only person to actually "see" that imperfection, but that is what will make it stand out from the dull CNC carved scrolls. Beautiful work Anders.

Cheers,
Dave

Avise La Fin
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 3 2012 17:38:14

srshea

Hey, Anders. Don't want to take your thread too far off topic, but I thought of you when I saw this. I remember you asking around about busking a while back and thought maybe you were thinking on taking a leap and hitting the road yourself...

http://vimeo.com/47265755
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 3 2012 18:14:13

estebanana

Anders,
Your scroll looks good.
I'm in the middle of carving my cello back, but it's about four times as much work as carving a violin so I'm going to be slower.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 3 2012 19:18:57

Anders Eliasson

Thanks a lot. I like the scroll myself. Its got character

Stephen, get ready for that double bass project. I know you´ll do it. You´re crazy enough.. Meanwhile, why dont you post some pictures and storys about your cello. This section could do with something real and not just all this MrB mental yingy yingy.

Adam, I was in France for some weeks this summer and did some busking with the violin. I liked it. When you´re alone in a city it might be lonely, but when you busk, you´re part of it.
Thats next summers project. Drive around in Europe in an old van and play number 1 violin in the streets. Visiting family and friends and sometimes stay in the forest for some days learning new tunes and reading books.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 3 2012 19:43:02

gj Michelob

RE: Building violin no. 1 (in reply to estebanana

quote:

Anders,
I'm really happy to see you started your violin. It will be fun to watch. I have my cello moving along, but it's going slow.
What have you decided to do for varnish?

There seems to be an intimately innate proclivity in every luthier to eventually take the violin (or cello) challenge. I am sure not many will share their results, but it would be interesting to see how many of the other luthiers who post here have indulged the “call of the fiddle”.

And yes (as Stephen insightfully asks) to see how they sorted out the vexing "varnish" dilemma.

gj Michelob
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 3 2012 20:58:52

Escribano

quote:

Visiting family and friends and sometimes stay in the forest for some days learning new tunes and reading books.

You better make it to Bath.... or else Gina, Queenie and I will have to hook up with you in a forest somewhere, with my 6-string steel and we work out some reels and jigs.

Foro Flamenco founder and Admin
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 3 2012 21:02:31

estebanana

quote:

Stephen, get ready for that double bass project.

Yeah, I'll just build that rowing pram you made last year and put a neck on it.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 3 2012 21:11:54
Page:   [1] 2 3 4 5    >   >>
All Forums >>Discussions >>Lutherie >> Page: [1] 2 3 4 5    >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote