Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

Juan Estruch 1900-1909 Flamenco Guitar - SOLD   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Useful Stuff >>Classifieds >> Page: [1]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

heavymellow

Juan Estruch 1900-1909 Flamenco Guit... 

Juan Estruch 1900-1909 Flamenco Guitar

Here is an awesome example of a very old flamenco guitar, made in Barcelona Spain, from the year 1900-1909 aprox. The guitar maker was Juan Estruch (senior). I imported this guitar and basically re-strung it, added white golpeadours ( not shown in pictures) and played it.
Juan Estruch Rosell Bio:
Juan Estruch Rosell was the founder of the firm Guitarras Juan estruch, father of Juan Estruch Sastre and grandphater of Juan Estruch Pipo. In the years 1898-99 were guitar makers at calle Ancha, 50, and in the period 1902-1912 at calle Ancha , 30 Barcelona... (Jose Romanillos & Marian Harris - The vihuela de mano and the spanish guitar)

The guitar label shows Juan Estruch, but the label is not in perfect condition.

The plantilla (guitar shape) is similar to the modern guitar, but smaller like a parlour guitar. There has been some small repaired cracks, on sides, back and top. See images
The nut is bone, but the saddle is WOOD! Yes wood. Can easily be changed to bone. Also, white golpeadours has been added not shown in pictures. This can be easily removed if the buyer wants.
The pegs hold tune, but should be restored. I believe they are the original pegs but not 100% positive.

The french polish has been re-done - the finish is far from perfect with playing wear and finish spots.

PLEASE NOTE : This is a very old guitar and is not perfect. It plays and sounds very traditional - that dry, treble, raspy Flamenco one would hear on old Flamenco records. I love it, but some are used to a modern tone with a more full bass sound.
Please realize that this was made between 1900 -1909. It has seen some playing and is a great start of a restoration or part of a players collection. Again, this guitar is antique.

SPECIFICATIONS : * Soundboard: Spruce
* Back and sides: I'm not sure... maybe clear mahogany or spanish walnut
* Neck: Spruce
* Fretboard : Ebony
* Saddle & Nut : Saddle is bone -Nut is WOOD! Yes - they used wood.
* Pegs for the tuners
SIZES : * Size : 930mm from bottom to headstock
* Scale : 620m (from bridge saddles to nut)
* Ribs : 82mm
* Nut width : 48mm // 56mm 12th fret
* Sounboard curves : 255mm / 330mm / plantilla shape
* Action : 12th fret 4.5mm E String, 4.8mm e String

Here is a short improvisation I posted on youtube
http://youtu.be/8IEQdCy_LoY

http://youtu.be/8IEQdCy_LoY">Here is a short improvisation on the Antique Juan Estruch Flamenco Guitar I have for sale. http://youtu.be/8IEQdCy_LoY

Images are resized automatically to a maximum width of 800px

Attachment (1)
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 17 2012 19:41:44

kudo

RE: Juan Estruch 1900-1909 Flamenco ... (in reply to heavymellow

uuufffff, does that even play??

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 17 2012 19:54:46

ChiyoDad

Interesting instrument.

Am wondering if this is typical of the affordable instruments that were made for the gitanos back then?

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 17 2012 20:12:16

heavymellow

Hello -
Kudo : - Yes, it does play. I will try and post a video a bit later. The playability is decent. Could use some set up work, but I am no Luthier, so I haven't messed with it.
ChiyoDad : The size of this guitar seems to fit the old Tabloa Ramirez guitars of the same years. Smaller scale, smaller body.
This guitar is a really interesting guitar. I brought it back with me - purchased when traveling and was my travel guitar while in Barcelona.
Thnaks for the interest - Saludos!
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 17 2012 22:33:00

C. Vega

Actually, what are now commonly referred to as the old Ramirez "tablao" guitars had/have a rather large plantilla (outline). The sides are relatively shallow and they are usually highly domed on both the top and back. Old Jose Ramirez calalogs refer to them as forma ahuevada or "egg-shaped". I used to own an example from Jose I's shop that was dated 1906 and had a scale length of 648mm, certainly close to what many modern guitars have.
Generally speaking they were not small guitars but, for what it's worth, the earliest known guitar by Manuel Ramirez (who learned the craft from his older brother Jose) dates from 1889 and was built along these lines but is very small, having a scale length of only 374mm although this is certainly not typical. The guitar is in the Ramirez collection in Madrid and still in perfect condition. Even though it has a top braced with five fans, accurately placed frets and is nicely constructed from quality materials it may well have been made as a display piece and not really intended to be played.

I'm not trying to derail your sale but just pointing out a few things in the name of accuracy.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 18 2012 0:57:33

heavymellow

Thanks for the clarification C. Vega. I had the guitar looked at by a local luthier and he referenced the old Ramirez Tablao instruments. I appreciate the facts and as I know very little about the guitar, it is nice to have someone clarify things.

ChiyoDad : I do believe that this guitar was an affordable Gitano guitar - nothing fancy about it. I actually like the fact that it is a "no frills" instrument - especially the rosette with simple black wood strips.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 19 2012 19:56:35

RTC

I am looking forward to the video or sound file of this guitar.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 21 2012 0:31:52

heavymellow

Here is a short improvisation on the Antique Juan Estruch Flamenco Guitar I have for sale.
http://youtu.be/8IEQdCy_LoY
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 21 2012 4:56:33

RTC

That was very nice, I like your playing and the guitar sounded lots better than I expected. So I guess is still for sale?
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 22 2012 1:37:19

heavymellow

Hello -
I have had a bunch of inquiries regarding the guitar but no takers so far.
The guitar is listed locally on Craigslist and the guitar is definitely still available.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 22 2012 5:38:40
Page:   [1]
All Forums >>Useful Stuff >>Classifieds >> Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post