Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

Habichuelas en El Sacromonte   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: [1]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

Kate

Habichuelas en El Sacromonte 

Hey Simon, sorry you could not make it last night, it was quite a special night and the party carried on afterwards with everyone jamming.

I'm posting this here because I thought I'd tell everyone about the young guitarist who played last night as he was pretty special and someone to look out for. His name is Juanillo and he is one of the Habichuelas, grandson to Juan Carmona Habichuela who was also there last night, looking very well but sadly not playing. Juanillo opened the evening with Rafaela ( wife of Rafael Santiago Habichuela, Juan Carmona's cousin) singing and El Morena ( their son) on percussion and la Repompa dancing.

Now a quick word about this dancer as I remember a thread here a while back where it was argued that dancers were not musicians, well I have always though that dancers were percussionists and last night was no exception. In fact watching La Repompa beat out the compás in 32s while arching her back, clapping her hands and leap flying across the stage like a demon was awe inspiring and the musicians around me just gasped and stood with mouths hanging open. Anyone who made it to Emilio Maya's Uk gigs in Nottingham and Brighton will have seen this dancer. She makes quite an impression.

Oh and another digression .....excuse me while I rant .... afterwards I was talking to a young woman who said she was a flamenco dancer ( not sure if she was a professional or just that she took classes) from Austria who told me that she thought the dancer lacked elegance. She had assumed that as a foreigner I would not know the dancer, or much about flamenco. I replied "I guess if you want elegance you go for trained ballet style dancers and not Gitanas who learnt from their mother's knee, or in this case her aunt ( the famous La Repompa de Malaga)". I should have asked her which dancers she liked especially as she is writing a thesis on the culture behind flamenco but her statement about elegance intrigued me enough to ask her how she would write about the the payo/gitano question of flamenco. After all for me without a doubt the flamenco culture is Gitano, even if you are Payo flamenco artist and by saying the Gitana dancer lacked elegance I took it that she prefered sanitised choreographed elegant flamenco. Anway she told me she had no opinion on that, or perhaps she was scared as I was probably looking a little fierce and ready to attack.

The reason I am bothered about this so much is there we were watching a dynasty of Gypsy artists who have shaped and upheld flamenco for generations. Meanwhile she was talking about writing an academic thesis about flamenco culture without taking into account the Gypsy one. Then I got to worrying who will judge this thesis and at what point will her thesis become regarded as an academic truth, and a basis for another thesis. Ah well if I bump into her again I shall enjoy a good academic debate or maybe knives at dawn

Back to the gig, the second part of the performance was Emilio Maya on guitar, with Victor 'EL Charico' and Juan Angel EL Tirado' singing, Juan Masana on bass and el Moreno on percussion. Emilio played a lot from his album and it was great to see Juan Carmona Habichuela pull up his chair and listen intently. The show ended with la Repompa taking the stage again and behind me I heard a man say " Es muy mujer, pero MUY MUJER"

The show took place at the Centro de Interpretación in the Sacromonte barrio of Granada. Anyway coming to Granada should check it out for flamenco shows and also film screenings. Nothing better than a cool evening watching flamenco films in the open air with a beer, surrounded by the caves of the Sacromonte. There is also a musuem there, in that they have renovated caves to show the crafts, the forge, etc and a rather sanitised way of Gypsy life. One cave is dedicated to the history of the Sacromonte Gypsies and they have the famous old picture of the original Habichuela flamencos, a young girl with a guitar and an old man standing and singing. They also have all the local plants growing there, all labelled, and explanations ( in English) of the geological make-up of the two micro climates the Sacromonte hill and the Alhambra hill. Oh yes and it has fantastic views. Worth a visit.

Phew long post, sorry

Kate

Emilio Maya Temple
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000CA6OBC
http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/emiliomaya
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 1 2005 15:40:27

Escribano

RE: Habichuelas en El Sacromonte (in reply to Kate

quote:

Hey Simon, sorry you could not make it last night, it was quite a special night and the party carried on afterwards with everyone jamming.

There you go, right on my doorstep but not enough notice Now if Pepe or Juan had been playing, I would be sick. Haven't seen Emilio yet (except in his studio), so keep us posted on future gigs. I'll be around for a few years more yet, espero.

I know what you mean about Gitana versus ballet dance - I like the slot in Saura's "Flamenco" that makes the differences clear, though those elegant payas (?) do look good

Foro Flamenco founder and Admin
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 1 2005 16:01:01

flyeogh

quote:

a good academic debate or maybe knives at dawn

Scratch her eyes out Kate, it is your duty to defend the honour of true flamenco. For me spanish culture and not only flamenco comes with fire, strength and adrenalin in abundance. Perhaps I just go to the wrong places but it is how I like my Espana.

Great read

nigel (el raton de Watford - now Puerto de Santa Maria, Cadiz)
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 1 2005 16:17:45

Kate

RE: Habichuelas en El Sacromonte (in reply to Escribano

quote:

There you go, right on my doorstep but not enough notice Now if Pepe or Juan had been playing, I would be sick. Haven't seen Emilio yet (except in his studio), so keep us posted on future gigs. I'll be around for a few years more yet, espero.

Last night I saw that the Centro has an email list so next time I am up there will put the admin foro email on and then you can post things on the site as well as know in advance what is happening there. They showed Misa Flamenco last week. Though there is the problem of the shows changing at the last minute, last night it should have been Rafa Habichuela playing but he stepped aside to let Juanillo take centre stage.

I dont want to rub it in, but it was fine that Juan did not play, simply because if he had been on stage I would not have got to sit at the table with all the family and listen to him talking.

I'm pretty sure Emilio will have some gigs lined up soon. Its almost time for the Eshavira to put on shows again and now that he has finished with Mario Maya's show he can get back into putting on his own shows. We hope to get him back to the UK again next year. Cant see why not when they sold out three shows this year.

Hasta pronto Simon, see you soon

Kate

Emilio Maya Temple
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 1 2005 16:36:01

Kate

RE: Habichuelas en El Sacromonte (in reply to flyeogh

quote:

ORIGINAL: flyeogh
Scratch her eyes out Kate

je je je well it would be one way of winning the debate.

kate

Emilio Maya Temple
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 1 2005 16:38:45

Escribano

quote:

next time I am up there will put the admin foro email on and then you can post things on the site as well as know in advance what is happening there

una idea buena

Foro Flamenco founder and Admin
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 1 2005 17:33:19

flyeogh

Kate sorry to put upon you and you have probably answered this before but :

do great flamenco events occur daily, weekly, seasonally or whatever in Granada. By that I mean special events that are not like large concerts but sort of where you can get close and intimate with the atmosphere. Where when you get home others would have heard of the names.

For example I think I will be visiting Anders in the second week of October (to collect my new baby). At the mo Ryanair are doing London Granada for 2.99. OK plus tax and you cannot be fussy with dates but to find less than £40 return all in is not difficult. So to drop in for 2 or 3 days is no problem. But might I or anyone else be dissappointed?Or does the place sort of throb with Compas day in, day out?

Its just that you make it sound so great

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 1 2005 21:47:27

Kate

RE: Habichuelas en El Sacromonte (in reply to flyeogh

Well not exactly great flamenco events, though it is possible to be in the Eshavira when Enrique Morente or Estrella pass by and sing until the early hours, but it does not happen daily and I know people who have been here years and then it happens the one night they stay at home. Coming in October you have a better chance of there being more going on. The Eshavira should be putting on gigs by then. The Habichuela family ( ok not Juan or Pepe) often gig there, as does Emilio Maya. Every Monday night you can catch El Niño de las Almendras singing at the Upsetter. Not a big name but well known here, he's one of the old flamencos and worth catching. You may get lucky and find there is a festival going on or "Flamenco Viene del Sur' series of flamenco concerts could be happening at the Teatro Alhambra, nearly always well known artists. The Peña could well be doing their usual open to the public flamenco nights with flamencos visiting from Jerez but they have new management and things are changing there so who knows. Granada is nowhere like Jerez for flamenco but you can find it if you are lucky and prepared to stay up late. Hanging out at La Bulería in the Sacromonte late at night is another place to catch people. Hanging out during the day in Plaza Larga you can often see the likes of Mario Maya and Manolete having a coffee.

I wouldn't say the place throbs with compás, but if I make it sound great it's because I am quite lucky in that I am very involved with the daily life of the flamenco world so tend to get to hear about stuff or get called up and invited or just happen to be there when things happen. I was invited out to see and hang out with Vicente Amigo when he played here but I was organising a gig the same night so missed out.

Granada is addictive though and I know people who come back time and again, and many like myself and Simon make the move and stay here. With flights so cheap and now direct to Granada it is even easier to do.

How wonderful to have one of Anders' guitars. Now there's something to treasure.

Kate

Emilio Maya Temple
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 1 2005 22:08:32

flyeogh

Thanks a bundle Kate. I think I'll try and make it 5 to 6 days to increase my chances and plan for late nights

Edit: Someone has just suggested "thanks a bunble" might be a negative thanks
It was of course meant as a muchas gracias con besos

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 2 2005 6:16:45

Great idea this with posting events on the forum. The jungle drums never reach my village.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 2 2005 7:39:33

Tomrocker

RE: Habichuelas en El Sacromonte (in reply to Escribano

quote:

if Pepe or Juan had been playing, I would be sick.

Hey all,

Getting this post again back to life only because Pepe Habichuela performed this morning at 11.00 am here in Milan, Italy with Dave Hallen and even if i got the tickets i couldn't simply make it to the theatre as i catched the flue yesterday evening and this morning it was even worse http://www.aperitivoinconcerto.com/index.php?idPagina=2-1&evento=1

Hence, i enjoyed so much El Gitarrero, the documentary that reached my mailbox and i didn't order all this time dunno why!. THANK YOU SIMON

Images are resized automatically to a maximum width of 800px

Attachment (1)

This is hard stuff!
Don't give up...
And don't make it a race.
Enjoy the ray of sunshine that comes with every new step in knowledge.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 6 2011 21:06:44

Ricardo

quote:

afterwards I was talking to a young woman who said she was a flamenco dancer ( not sure if she was a professional or just that she took classes) from Austria who told me that she thought the dancer lacked elegance.

i often encounter surprising opinions of dancers, by other dancers. There are details depending on the person's discipline and training (not necessarily ballet it could be just they way they learned from whatever flamenco teachers) that are totally out of my experience but they catch it. I have heard things like "well, she has good feet, but the arms are a mess" or "she has nice lines, but can't do a turn" and things like that. When asked my opinion of dancers as a guitarist, I make it clear I don't like to give my opinions to other dancers because my point of view is different. See, I don't get to see much of what is expressed to the audience, because 99% of the time I am behind them. So my opinions of what dancers are good or not, is based on how clear musical signals are being given to me based on some stomping heels and jiggling butts! I could care less about hand movements and lines and turns and such. But I respect opinions of others on these matters that have had extensive training.

Oh, and at this point we aficionados should not get too bent up any more about flamenco dissertations and stuff. It is just a way for people to get more deeply involved with this art they love, especially when their grandparents are NOT from a gipsy family. Not unlike this foro here, it is just another way to share and discuss what we have learned with others that are into it. Sure, not the same as participating in a performance or juerga, but valid to the art none the less. Of course hearing people talk authoritatively about this stuff when it might seem counter to our own experiences, it can seem, well, annoying.

CD's and transcriptions available here:
www.ricardomarlow.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 6 2011 21:49:40

Tomrocker

RE: Habichuelas en El Sacromonte (in reply to Ricardo

quote:

Oh, and at this point we aficionados should not get too bent up any more about flamenco dissertations and stuff. It is just a way for people to get more deeply involved with this art they love, especially when their grandparents are NOT from a gipsy family. Not unlike this foro here, it is just another way to share and discuss what we have learned with others that are into it. Sure, not the same as participating in a performance or juerga, but valid to the art none the less. Of course hearing people talk authoritatively about this stuff when it might seem counter to our own experiences, it can seem, well, annoying.

Say no more maestro

This is hard stuff!
Don't give up...
And don't make it a race.
Enjoy the ray of sunshine that comes with every new step in knowledge.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 6 2011 22:11:18
Page:   [1]
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post