Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

Setup technique   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>Lutherie >> Page: [1]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

a_arnold

Setup technique 

In setting up a guitar to have the most comfortable possible action, I was told by a local luthier that he just tunes the guitar (or any other fretted instrument) a half-step or two low, then lowers the action until he begins to get slight buzz, at which point he knows he is pushing it, then tuning it back up to 440 standard makes the buzz go away. And voila.

He says that this way, he avoids taking too much off the nut or bone when lowering it.

I guess this approach means you have to know whether your customer wants to use high or low tension strings.

Is this a reasonable way to proceed -- assuming you want the lowest possible action?

"Flamenco is so emotionally direct that a trained classical musician would require many years of highly disciplined formal study to fail to understand it."
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 29 2012 22:16:54

estebanana

RE: Setup technique (in reply to a_arnold

Or you can get a tighter tolerance by simply leaving it tuned at 440 and doing the same thing.

If you tune a guitar to pitch at A-440 and then press the string at the first fret it gives you a string height at the 12th fret. That is the data you use to set the saddle height. It tells you how much to lower the saddle because you know lowering however many mm's or 64ths at the saddle with have half that effect at the 12th fret. If you do the same thing and the string as not to pitch then that system is not reliable. So any accuracy in your reasonable calculation for saddle height goes out the window and with it any speed at which you can make decisions.

For string above the frets tolerance at the nut you want the full string tension to be able to judge the playability at full pitch. If the strings are below standard pitch the player uses then it's more guess work and tuning and de tuning to get it correct.

If you are not up to pitch you're playing guessing games and wasting time.

https://www.stephenfaulkguitars.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 29 2012 23:26:37

Jeff Highland

RE: Setup technique (in reply to a_arnold

I agree with Steven, that is a very arbitrary and time consuming method
I set relief first if the neck has a truss rod, nut slot height, then saddle height (using measurement at the 12th to make decisions), then intonation.
This way you are not just doing trial and error and having to go back and readjust.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 30 2012 1:50:04

a_arnold

RE: Setup technique (in reply to estebanana

I think the reasoning went like this:
"If I lower the saddle until it buzzes sightly with it tuned at 440, then I have taken too much off and have to start over with a new saddle.

"But if I lower the saddle until it buzzes slightly when tuned below standard, then tuning back up will eliminate the buzz -- barely."

I'm reminded of Seinfeld's take on painkillers: "I want the maximum pain relief possible. Figure out what dose will kill me, and then back off a little."

"Flamenco is so emotionally direct that a trained classical musician would require many years of highly disciplined formal study to fail to understand it."
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 31 2012 15:15:55
Page:   [1]
All Forums >>Discussions >>Lutherie >> Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post