Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

Manuel Rodriguez FF: anyone have any information?   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>Lutherie >> Page: [1]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

cbecker78

Manuel Rodriguez FF: anyone have any... 

Hi all. I am considering a used Manuel Rodriquez FF. I can't seem to place the age though. Does anybody recognize the label and know when / where it may have been made?

It has a three piece back with an unknown dark wood in the center...

The bridge is also made with a curved saddle slot... (see picture) and I can't seem to find that as a feature in the current FF or FF sabicas model...

I'd really appreciate any info!

Images are resized automatically to a maximum width of 800px

Attachment (3)
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 27 2012 17:52:14

theblackcat

RE: Manuel Rodriguez FF: anyone have... (in reply to cbecker78

My beginner blanca was from the "El Memoria: Del Gran Sabicas" series as well. It was a C3F though, with a serial number of 31, that I bought in 2008. Does this help in any way?
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 27 2012 19:54:34

cbecker78

RE: Manuel Rodriguez FF: anyone have... (in reply to theblackcat

Thanks! It does give me an idea of time frame... If you don't mind a few extra questions:

Did yours have the "MR" headstock logo?

Do you remember if the label was in color or black and white?

The only other similar label image I could find online was colored. Making me worry about authenticity:
other label image
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 27 2012 20:08:49

theblackcat

It didn't have the MR headstock logo, but the label was in colour like the pic you attached.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 27 2012 20:13:33

keith

i played one once and it was ok. it is a factory guitar with thick polyurethane. a guy at another forum had one and stripped the poly and finished it with tru-oil and found once stripped it sounded good. most factory guitars come with a thick finish--why is beyond me since everyone knows a thick finish is a killer but it is probably cheaper to apply and therefore it is used.

as to the age--e-mail the rodriquez folks and see if they can give you an age. i think they went to the sabicas reference in the early to mid 2000's.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 28 2012 10:25:59

TANúñez

quote:

The only other similar label image I could find online was colored. Making me worry about authenticity:

This is a factory guitar so you don't have to worry about it being a copy or fake. They probably just changed the color of the label when yours was made or they use alternate labels.

Tom Núñez
www.instagram.com/tanunezguitars
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 28 2012 12:28:45

cbecker78

RE: Manuel Rodriguez FF: anyone have... (in reply to keith

Thanks Keith. Yeah, It looked like poly finish, though the description had indicated it would be laquer. I don't see why anyone would pay 1500 USD for this guitar. At 800 used, I am leaning towards not too bad.

Tanuez: You're probably right. I'm going to try to contact the company like Kieth suggested for a manufacture date on the guitar, and if they respond with information, that should put it to rest.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 30 2012 21:14:46

keith

checker--$800 for it? unless you have personally played this guitar i think you can do much better for that amount of money. for the money you are spending you can get a navarro which i think would be better. just my opinion.

by the way, if this guitar is at the bay is returning it an option? if yes then the shipping cost might be acceptable to try it out. if not, get the belt sander.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 31 2012 9:29:41

cbecker78

RE: Manuel Rodriguez FF: anyone have... (in reply to keith

Hi Keith. I've had the guitar in my possession since a few days before original posting (that's my carpet in the picture). I got the guitar used from the MusiciansFriend.com website. Shipping was free and I have about 30 days to return it still. It sounds and plays well, but I always have my reservations. I've previously tried a Cordobra, a different used Rodriguez, and a Yamaha flamenco from the same distributor.

I've purchased from MF for years, so I know they will not bend me over some loophole when I decide I want something exchanged or my money back because I don't like the guitar. But this is the most expensive thing I've ever bought from them.

I like the idea of the Navarro, but the cheapest model was a little over my current budget even before shipping, And I couldn't find out any information about return policy.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 31 2012 16:14:41
Page:   [1]
All Forums >>Discussions >>Lutherie >> Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post