Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

Beginner Flamenco Songs?   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: [1]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

FlamencoPasion

Beginner Flamenco Songs? 

I've been playing for about a month and am working on simplified versions of La Malaguena and La Cumparsita. Im wondering if there are any other beginner flamenco songs I could also work on.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 24 2012 21:51:49

Elie

RE: Beginner Flamenco Songs? (in reply to FlamencoPasion

try this one you might like it :

the tabs are on his site : http://www.hochweber.ch

http://www.youtube.com/user/GuitarristaAD
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 24 2012 22:02:50

Doitsujin

Ok,.. you mean easy flamenco guitar solos.... Elie..that one is really horrible. I would get the white book of Juan Martin as beginner and work through that.
There are beautiful easy solos inside and he works through all basic techniques you need.

Images are resized automatically to a maximum width of 800px

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 24 2012 22:04:17

FlamencoPasion

Sorry, I mean solos indeed haha. I already have a flamenco book, I'm just looking for songs to learn when I'm not working on the book. That song isn't too bad though. It sounds easy enough.

That page has some good easy flamenco songs. Thanks for that!
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 24 2012 22:16:46

El Kiko

This is kind of the idea of me starting to write complete tunes for beginners to have a go at if they wanted to ....
Maybe you could have a look at this thread and see if there is anything yo want ....

http://www.foroflamenco.com/tm.asp?m=204445&mpage=1&p=&tmode=1&smode=1&key=

Don't trust Atoms.....they make up everything.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 24 2012 22:44:32

FlamencoPasion

Thanks for your contribution :).

I'd like to play more flamenco chords, but I don't know how to even come up with them. I know my basic chords, but flamenco chords seem like this completely different beast. Where do I start learning them?
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 25 2012 1:11:45

gounaro

I think Paco's Pena "Toques Flamencos" is a good start to make the first steps.

I'm sure that all in here practiced with this book.

Me too and still do...

P.S. Begin to learn palos.

About chords there is a nice thread here by Ricardo.

http://www.foroflamenco.com/tm.asp?m=17848&mpage=1&p=&tmode=1&smode=1&key=flamenco%2Cchords

Images are resized automatically to a maximum width of 800px

Attachment (1)

Spyros
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 25 2012 1:38:17

NormanKliman

quote:

I know my basic chords, but flamenco chords seem like this completely different beast.

In very basic terms, most flamenco chords are used in other music, but there are a few in A Phrygian (based on A and B flat chords in the same way that malagueña is based on E and F chords) that you might not be familiar with. Also, taranta (F sharp Phrygian) has some flamenco-specific chords. In the forum sticky post "All flamenco chords in tab", you'll find what you're looking for and a lot more.

As many have already said to others, IMO you should forget about pieces and focus on short falsetas and rhythmic strumming. The idea is to string together different kinds of short passages. There are some simple soleá falsetas on my site:

http://www.canteytoque.es/solsamp.htm

Be here now.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 25 2012 9:18:45

FlamencoPasion

I'm really interested in the Taranta and Malaguena palos. A lot of these falsetas are too hard for me though. Whats a good way to start with these?
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 26 2012 21:41:08

RTC

I understand the you're interested in specific palos, but technique and compas are the basis for flamenco. Juan Martins book is excellent to begin with, also the Paco Pena's book mentioned above, but I feel JM is better suited to start with.

I learned Soleares first, then moved on.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 27 2012 1:05:51

gounaro

RE: Beginner Flamenco Songs? (in reply to RTC

quote:

I understand the you're interested in specific palos, but technique and compas are the basis for flamenco. Juan Martins book is excellent to begin with, also the Paco Pena's book mentioned above, but I feel JM is better suited to start with.

I learned Soleares first, then moved on.

Ι agree. Start with Juan Martin's book.

Spyros
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 27 2012 1:51:52

Leñador

I started my flamenco journey thinking, "I'd like to learn some flamenco chords and scales" only to realize that it just doesn't work like that. It's structure is so far away from traditional western music that you really have dig deep to even understand whats going on. Flamenco is the genre, within flamenco there's the palos(forms/types), then within the palos there's compas(chord & rhythm progressions) falsetas(solos), entradas, salidas, llamadas, and more that are kind of cues to tell the listener/dancer/singer whats going on and where your at in the song. Unfortunately, baby steps is the only way to do it, Juan Martin's book is great for introduction to the structure of the different palos. There's a Malaguena and a Taranto(less free version of Tarantas) in the book that can get your started and you can build from there. Last of all, get a teacher if possible, it really helps to clear up confusion and keep you from ingraining bad habits/techniques that can lead to poor sound and even injury.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 27 2012 4:32:42

Leñador

Oh yeah, some day you'll love that it works that way. I got too close to Flamenco's event horizon and now I'm sucked in.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 27 2012 4:37:35

Erik van Goch

RE: Beginner Flamenco Songs? (in reply to Leñador

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lenador
Unfortunately, baby steps is the only way to do it

That's so true. For years i had no clue whatsoever which style of flamenco i was watching or (ear)playing. When i started studying flamenco on a professional base i slowly learned the names and main rhythms. Later dance was added. Was that a llamada?.....eh no.....but that was!........oh? missed that one.... A couple of years later it was more like...a llamada will come 3 compasses from now. One of my class mates could predict the rhythmic development of an average dans solo with extreme precision, what he taped on his knee came back from stage in the very next compas, like the performing artist copied al his suggestions. At the time he was the best dans accompanying guitarist from the Netherlands and i was allowed to join in as an unpaid guest. Next to this giant everything seemed very easy so i started adding beautiful second voices, loved by everyone. After more then a year he had to quit, leaving responsibility in my capable hands.....

capable my ass. As it turned out i was not able to understand a single compas without his help. I had to learn all those patters again from scratch. I restored balance and after a year i was able to accompany dans classes of various levels very structural and solid. But still it was all bits and pieces. I had no idea of overall choreography. At the end of the year a singer joined in witch was a real revelation to me. It made me look to the material with complete different eyes once again. I worked my butts of to remember al the details (i had to tell him were to start singing which was tricky since i had no idea myself). Two days later we had a very acceptable public performance which changed my approach of this and future dans class material completely.

Once on that level you pick up things much quicker and i gained more and more ground. Now it was me predicting dance patterns performed by dancers i never saw before. But i retired 18 years ago and i am loosing ground ever since. When i visit concerts of big stars in my local theater now i can still predict all the singing, but more and more i face modern day dance levels that are very hard to grasp and sometimes i have no clue at all what the f@#* is going on onstage. And i love every second of those moments. If time allows me i see them a second time or even a third. By then i can understand them already much better(or a little bit).
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 27 2012 6:00:59

Leñador

quote:

capable my ass. As it turned out i was not able to understand a single compas without his help.

I feel you on that Erik, I've been accompanying a dance class along side my guitar teacher for about 8 months now and in a few more months he wants to leave it to me alone so he can go work on composition. I can at least stay on compas (dance teacher has a death stare that straightened me out real quick) but I miss llamada's here and there and my teacher has a way of complimenting the choreography that I just can't follow. When he takes breaks and it's just me it's technically fine but it's boring and repetitive. Oh well, keep on keepin on I guess.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 27 2012 14:36:20

FlamencoPasion

I live in Maine and I cannot find a single flamenco teacher, so I'm up a creek without a paddle on that one. So far I'm using Gerard Graf-martinez's book and dvd Vol 1.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 27 2012 22:19:59

Doitsujin

Listen a lot. U learn as much, if not even more, through listening than through reading educational books. U need to know the stuff you wanna play. Always listen. And listen to all, old and new.

EDIT: And forget about self claimed youtube teachers. 99% of em can´t play themselves. (The 1% that can play are forum members of course..:> )

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 27 2012 23:01:07

Elie

I so agree with Doitsujin, that’s a golden advice

as you want some beginner stuff don't start with "Toques Flamencos" because its just a book with no video to learn from and therefore you might develop wrong habits ( like I did )

Graf and Juan martin 's stuff are better because they include video and you can see what they're doing. although some of the foro members wasn't impressed with Graf's technique

http://www.youtube.com/user/GuitarristaAD
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 28 2012 6:42:44

Leñador

Agreed

I would say listen to a lot of old flamenco just because it's more obvious which helps when your trying to understand what makes each palo unique. I never used the Graf Martinez stuff but from what I've seen it seems fine for beginners. If his technique is poor it's pretty subtle so you should be fine for a while. What about video lessons from somebody? It's kind of important that somebody that knows what they're doing see's your hands. I think there is people on this forum that give 'em. You can get a webcam for cheap enough if you don't have one.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 28 2012 15:04:39

El Kiko

quote:

and I cannot find a single flamenco teacher, so I'm up a creek without a paddle on that one.

I think you r missing the point of the forum in a way , that just makes you the same as so many of us ...me for example ....i would have to drive for a couple of hours to get to the nearest flamenco guitarist I know of . and I only know him through this forum anyway ...
So you are not the only one with a D.I Y. flamenco thing to do .

But here we are all neighbours on the internet,.ask on here and you shall recieve ...
The most important thing is ...start playing ,,,,find what you can and start doing it ..
then when you get stuck , you will know what you need to ask .......and then ...thats the forum.....

Don't trust Atoms.....they make up everything.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 28 2012 21:16:00
Page:   [1]
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post