Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

RE: What is the mythology behind the smart asses on the Foro ?   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>Off Topic >> Page: <<   <   1 [2] 3    >   >>
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

odinz

RE: What is the mythology behind th... (in reply to estebanana

The mythology behind them has taken some different variations over the years, but it all began when the world was not yet made and a tree was seeded by Odin in the emptiness, on that tree the world grew out as an apple and today we call it earth.

Before there were men there were only the gods and they liked to pull practical jokes on eachother so Amaterasu created Humankind and told Odin that they were his children, Odin tried his best to fulfill the fathers role of course but having only one eye was a problem and there was quite many of the humans so he needed a way to heard all of the best ones together and so Foroflamenco was made.

But after a while, a new breed got word about the Foroflamenco.
They lusted for it, and was grimly jealous of the blessed people of Foroflamenco.
So they asked the gods for help, and they were answered only by Loke, the maker of mischief.
He promised them that they should also get a place in Foroflamenco and so they came, with all of the mischief that Loke had planned and his dark grin was shaking with joy as he sent his army of smart donkey's into Foroflamenco.

I don't know...

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 21 2012 0:33:33

orsonw

RE: What is the mythology behind th... (in reply to kudo

quote:

e has a Buleria in D# where he accompanies La Tobala. I have listened to that song a lot, the whole track is a manifesto of kick-ass accompaniment IMO. Well Pedro is maybe one of my favorite accompanists anyway.

hey, where can i find this track? in whcih album is it in??

Not sure which track Deniz refers to, maybe 'La Veleta' from album 'Lenguaje Puro'? Even if it isn't I really like this album, give it a try. (PS I enjoyed your recent 'solea moderno' falseta swapshop upload. I think you are progressing all the time, the arpegios are beginning to sound a bit stronger Ole!)
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 21 2012 7:21:46

El Kiko

RE: What is the mythology behind th... (in reply to odinz

quote:

and they were answered only by Loke

Awsome saga telling there......just needs a bit of Erik BloodAxe to spice things up a bit .....
And I would sell my soul to Loke if he could help me get a tremolo sorted out ..........FaeN.....

Don't trust Atoms.....they make up everything.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 21 2012 7:31:32

El Norte

RE: What is the mythology behind th... (in reply to estebanana

I saw this thread and just had to jump in.

As a player with only beginning rudiments of flamenco under my belt, I joined this board expecting a few tips and pointers.
Instead I was attacked on my first post like the runt in a pack of wolves...

I have come to the conclusion that many flamencos (not unlike serious rock dudes, man) have little patience, and a short fuse...

Must be a macho thing
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 12 2014 23:52:28

Ricardo

RE: What is the mythology behind th... (in reply to El Norte

quote:

ORIGINAL: El Norte

I saw this thread and just had to jump in.

As a player with only beginning rudiments of flamenco under my belt, I joined this board expecting a few tips and pointers.

I have come to the conclusion that many flamencos (not unlike serious rock dudes, man) have little patience, and a short fuse...

Must be a macho thing

YOU were not at all.... it was manitas and you didn't like it so tried to defend. Manitas always sucked. But he was popular. No need to defend he banged tons of dumb chicks and had tons of kids.

CD's and transcriptions available here:
www.ricardomarlow.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 13 2014 7:47:44

Leñador

Whether rock flamenco or whatever I don't think it has to do with short fuses, it's strong convictions.

\m/
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 13 2014 16:15:33

BarkellWH

RE: What is the mythology behind th... (in reply to Ricardo

quote:

No need to defend he banged tons of dumb chicks

Including Brigitte Bardot, who was his girlfriend in the late sixties. Google the key-words "Manitas de Plata and Brigitte Bardot" and one can watch a video of Manitas playing guitar with Brigitte sitting next to him with adoring eyes, playing with her hair, and generally looking like she is a female dog (dare I say "bitch"?) in heat.

Bill

And the end of the fight is a tombstone white,
With the name of the late deceased,
And the epitaph drear, "A fool lies here,
Who tried to hustle the East."

--Rudyard Kipling
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 13 2014 19:19:33

runner

RE: What is the mythology behind th... (in reply to Leñador

I agree: it's a matter of strong convictions and the self-righteousness that flows from strong convictions displacing, often, courtesy, civility, even the openness to different ideas, or even the idea that others can actually hold other views. Some of this comes from what we have discussed elsewhere--whether people are confusing personal preference with the notion of Good and Bad in art. I myself happen to be the intended audience for art I like, and not the intended audience for art I don't care for. How about you?
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 13 2014 19:28:40

BarkellWH

RE: What is the mythology behind th... (in reply to El Norte

quote:

Good God, El Norte! The post you refer to above was dated December 6, 2010, and, as Ricardo points out, you were not personally attacked; rather, there were posts that challenged the idea that Manitas was a good flamenco guitarist. Nearly four years later are you still feeling slighted over their lack of agreement with your position? Time to let go of it.

Bill

--Rudyard Kipling
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 13 2014 19:40:28

Leñador

quote:

How about you?

Obviously, if I don't like it, it sucks.

I know your not saying this. But I'm not a believer of the notion that anything deemed "art" is not allowed to be bad. There's more grey area then not, but some stuff really is just bad.
EG Someone picks up a paint brush for the first time and paints random BS on a canvas and demands the same respect as someone who's spent years learning and getting better at their craft. No, it sucks, go do some book learning! lol

\m/
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 13 2014 20:05:52

Ruphus

Gimme five!
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 13 2014 20:33:22

Escribano

RE: What is the mythology behind th... (in reply to BarkellWH

quote:

Including Brigitte Bardot, who was his girlfriend in the late sixties.

Picasso also painted on his guitar. I would easily have settled for that. Flamenco is really hard work .

p.s. One day, I will tell you how I got a date with Princess Diana before she was a Princess (seriously).

Foro Flamenco founder and Admin
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 13 2014 20:49:14

El Norte

quote:

Time to let go of it.

Don't worry - haven't lost any sleep

The swift reaction to my post simply proves my case...this board is not for the faint of heart...
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 13 2014 22:58:04

runner

I know, I know--it's hard to accept the idea that the art we don't like (that we are not the intended audience for) isn't Bad Art, and that the art we like may not be Good Art just 'cause we like it, but there it is. Don't believe everything you read in books about what is good and bad in art; the authors may just be trying to make a living.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 14 2014 0:05:50

Leñador

Some art I don't like I accept as good art and some art I like I know is not really good art.....

\m/
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 14 2014 0:07:56

n85ae

RE: What is the mythology behind th... (in reply to Escribano

Seriously? Is there a Prince Escribano out there we don't know about?

quote:

p.s. One day, I will tell you how I got a date with Princess Diana before she was a Princess (seriously).
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 14 2014 0:12:01

estebanana

One of my first art teachers in college said: When I meet a guy who says "I know what I like." it means I like what I already know.

Then in a later class one of the assignments was to take piece of art you detested a live with it for a week or two in a prominent place where you engage it often during the day. Then so a bit of research on the artist and the ideas that drove the work. After one week report back to the class how your process of dealing with the work you detested went and if your opinions changed.

Then still a few years later, Bill Berkson was the teacher of an art history course I took. He said: "Familiarity does not breed contempt." The cliche is backwards. The more you learn about something the more the subject opens up to you and vice versa.

---------------------------

I believe one can have strong likes and dislikes while at the same time still holding a profound grasp or understanding of why a certain type of art is valid or functions well. I don't mentally negate the value it may hold or question the validity, but I may not want to spend time with it. It certainly does not mean it does not have redemptive qualities for others.

The thing that does bother me a great deal, and in some cases makes me angry, are those who disparage others the experience of fine art works or music that they themselves don't fully understand. Just because one does not fully understand or profoundly grasp does not mean that others are wrong. Sometimes it just takes extra work to get over ones own attachments in order to grow, but insulting someone else's sensibilities because of your own short comings in viewership is just plain rude and insulting. It's simply bad manners to disrupt someone elses sense for what is beautiful. If you are making jokes sure we all makes jokes, but a serious assault on another persons sense of beauty only shows a lack of real understanding that each person has to grow by themselves.

I've shown art works I like to others and tried to explain why it works for me. They may or may not 'get it' the same way I do, they in fact may not even care to put the time into seeing it deeper. And that is ok, because everyone has to choose which things they care to grow with and life is too short to take those choices from others with rudeness.

https://www.stephenfaulkguitars.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 14 2014 3:10:15

Leñador

I can see that.
Have you ever though liked something enormously in your younger years, so much so that it was basically your identity for a bit and as you got older began detest it more and more, till eventually you can argue how it's the cause of all things bad in the world??

\m/
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 14 2014 3:20:47

estebanana

quote:

I can see that.
Have you ever though liked something enormously in your younger years, so much so that it was basically your identity for a bit and as you got older began detest it more and more, till eventually you can argue how it's the cause of all things bad in the world??

Yes. A syllogism based on your idea:

My identity used to be all about surfing.

Now I see surfing as the root of all strife for humanity.

Therefore, surfing is detestable.

https://www.stephenfaulkguitars.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 14 2014 4:05:07

Ruphus

When you come out from hospital one day with a clamp and some old rags forgotten in your guts, remember:
There exists no such traceability in the world like proficiency and inability. It´s just you that don´t appreciate certain items for some peripheral reasons ( like having a clue about producing of art).

And guys like Michelangelo or Repin ought to have been no different with their abilities and creations from some action like Pollocks or Beuys.

And when the intellect is low enough to be spoonfed by pseudo intellectual levelling buIIshit that was once promoted for mere reactionary political reasons in the Cold War, maybe a quote may help, which goes like:

"When the sun of the art is standing low, even midgets will cast big shadows."

Give me a break with all that clumsy trash on a level of kindergarten productions that is being declared by creaming off agents and parrots of Salomo´s wisdom as on par with demanding, impressing and inspiring works.

Art is essential indicator and effect to the level of civilisation and progress. And when a distinguished subject like art is being declared as allegedly completely arbitrary, so will be the paradigm of the era.

And in fact that is what we are having.
A world turned upside down in which people seeking social justice and preservation of habitat are being painted as lunatic nuisance, whereas an asocial kaste that is leaving people in poverty and expropriation is being delcared as natural and even heroic.

As a fellow member on an audio forum once said:
quote:

Am I the only one that tires of this "everything is subjective" watered-down-pop-culture-pseudo-philosophy buIIshit?

Use your brain autonomously.
It ain´t that hard really to find out how. Only that it is demanding your thinking.
- And engaging a bit in basic shaping to find out what is easy to do and what not, won´t hurt either. In fact every kid should have made that experience in school.

Ruphus
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 14 2014 8:31:36

runner

In reading over the various posts in this thread, I am struck by the effort made over and over to retain the notions of Good and Bad in art, or the notions of valid and invalid, or of functioning well or poorly, while keeping a parallel set of notions about liking or not liking some particular work. Sometimes the two sets of notions are bound up in one another; sometimes people can be "objective" and say ( or think) that, while some piece of art is Good, they just may not like it. While I understand the powerful drive to retain both sets of notions about art, it became clear to me long ago that there is actually no sound foundation underlying the idea of Good and Bad art, and that such notions are best jettisoned entirely. This leaves us free to talk about our preferences in art without assuming airs of either moral or aesthetic superiority over one another. If there is indeed Good and Bad in art, then it would be both possible and desirable to publish a master list of composers, sculptors, artists of every sort, genres, works, you name it--in ascending or descending order. Ruphus mentions Michelangelo and Repin as against Jackson Pollack. Is Repin the equal to Michelangelo? Better? Worse? I know I like Repin; I don't know if Repin is better than Georgia O'Keefe (I like some of her stuff also; not all of it, just some of it. Which O'Keefe should I like more?). This is the kind of real-world, real-art nonsense that results from dragging in Good/Bad notions into discussions of art. I personally like Journey, yet rock critics for generations have told me I should not like--I Must Not Like--Journey: they were just Bad Rock. Like losing my religion, I long ago lost my faith in critics (who disagree with me).
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 14 2014 9:55:57

Escribano

RE: What is the mythology behind th... (in reply to n85ae

quote:

Seriously? Is there a Prince Escribano out there we don't know about?

Nope, but it was a mildy entertaining period in my life. I was hanging out with some famous people in the Kings Road area of Chelsea in the early 80s.

Foro Flamenco founder and Admin
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 14 2014 10:22:36

Ruphus

Runner,

If there is no qualification why insist on being treated by qualified personel?
The vast of manuakl workers over here have never seen a special education ( and their work absolutely shows) and even among those who have been granted official exam passings many are failing in their profession like awfull physicians ( maltreating and even killing patients in horrendous numbers).

For some reason I know with great certainty that you would rather pass services like that / prefer to be treated by reputated experts, suddenly acknowledging the phenomenon of proficiency and qualification.

And that aspect of qualification exists in all metiers, including art.

There also exists a qualification in judge.
And as you can´t distinguish between the worlds-apart proficiency of an Ilja Repin and a Georgia O'Keefe, you are lacking appreciation of what takes working on canvas.
With just a basic knowledge on the matter of painting you would clearly know that an O´Keefe / Repin comparison is like equalling Madonna with Peter Green or Ottmar Liebert with Paco de Lucia.

Don´t seek what you consider political correctness of equalitty in a field that is before all distinguished by distinct and towering skills.

There exist experts, aspirants and dilettants. And among diverse kinds of disregard it is embezzling of outstanding achievement to elevate amateur and dliettant make to the ranks of the masters.

It all really starts with the knowledge of the observer. You levelling overlookers should at least try to shape a piece like Michelangelo or place a brush like Repin. Try it for decades without even just coming close, and then come back and let me see if you will still lump awkward botch wiith grand master work. ( And should you think to have achieved it - which may happen just as well -, I will point out to you where the difference actually lies.)

I can tell you in advance: It will cure from ignorant egalitarianism.

After all I suppose appreciation comes from experiencing lacking skills beforehand.

Ruphus
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 14 2014 11:58:46

BarkellWH

RE: What is the mythology behind th... (in reply to runner

quote:

it became clear to me long ago that there is actually no sound foundation underlying the idea of Good and Bad art, and that such notions are best jettisoned entirely.

On an abstract level, I can agree with you, Runner. One can place the rotting carcass of a cow in a plexiglass enclosure and call it "art," (this has been done, by the way), although it takes no particular talent on the part of the "artist" to do it. And while the "meaning" of the piece may elude me, as long as the artist's mind extracts meaning, I suppose it does not matter whether or not I see anything morally, aesthetically, philosophically, or artistically meaningful in the piece. That I look on the piece and simply see the rotting carcass of a cow, and the fact that I grew up in Arizona and have actually seen rotting carcasses of cows that died in the desert, without anyone gathering around the carcass and commenting on how artistic and meaningful it all is, may simply indicate my lack of artistic sensibility.

Nevertheless, let's bring your notion down to the concrete example represented by El Norte's original post concerning Manitas de Plata and the responses it elicited. I don't think anyone who responded was suggesting that Manitas did not produce art. I think all would agree that he did. The question was, was it flamenco? And there I think your notion breaks down. It may be valid in the abstract realm of "art" writ large. But surely it does not hold up in discussing the various genres and sub-genres of art and music. In other words, there is a genre of music called "flamenco," and to say that "there is actually no sound foundation underlying the idea of 'Good' and 'Bad' flamenco" means that the rules and parameters governing how flamenco is performed (such as compas) can be thrown out the window by any fool who wishes to proclaim his opinion and bring the discussion down to the lowest common denominator.

Bill

--Rudyard Kipling
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 14 2014 12:10:05

runner

Bill, in the several previous discussions we have had on this subject, I have always made it clear that it is perfectly legitimate to discuss and judge a work of art on whether or not it is correctly and accurately labeled. Truth in Advertizing, if you like. I asked whether the Prokofiev Piano Concerto #2 is or is not Baroque. We can then fruitfully discuss Baroque, in music, in art, etc. Similarly, the place of Manitas de Plata in flamenco can be discussed, depending on one's definition of flamenco. In a way, I see you as agreeing with my point--let's talk our heads off about definitions, genres, sub-genres, time frames, influences, histories, whatever, but let's do it with some objectivity, and not drag a whole lot of Good/Bad rhetoric with its implication of moral superiority or depravity into the equation. As far as flamenco, in reviewing my posts on various forums, I've held the position all along that when flamenco has "evolved" to the point where it has become obvious to the meanest understanding that it no longer grossly resembles the music that persisted for perhaps 125 years, then it is a new thing and deserves a new name--it's not better or worse but it is different enough to require a new name. Nobody called the music of Mozart "Baroque" even though it represented an evolved form of the Baroque.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 14 2014 14:25:03

BarkellWH

RE: What is the mythology behind th... (in reply to runner

quote:

depending on one's definition of flamenco.

This is the root of the problem with your notion. You seem to be saying that "flamenco" is whatever anyone wants it to be. If that were the case, the term would have no meaning. In spite of university English departments flogging the post-modern idea that there is no meaning outside the text, most rational people still adhere to the quaint notion that words do, in fact, have meaning that can be applied in concrete instances. If anyone's definition of flamenco is as valid as anyone else's, regardless how the conclusion was reached and the parameters and standards used, there is no common meeting point for discussion. Language becomes unintelligible. And so does art.

Bill

--Rudyard Kipling
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 14 2014 14:59:39

Ruphus

Well said, Bill!
-

If art was to be just anything, the term would be rendered meaningless. However, the subject in fact is supposed to be something. Something actually special. And even demanding.

Otherwise it would obviously be named "anything" or maybe "modern fart" or something.

Ruphus
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 14 2014 15:29:15

runner

Bill, I freely admit to rising astonishment at the things you appear to read into my posts. Over my many posts on flamenco or any other art, I am always at pains to decry the notion that flamenco or the Baroque or any other genre is whatever anybody says it is. Please!! While all these things are open to discussion, rigorous and widely-accepted definitions can be agreed upon, and then common usage will ultimately ensure a sort of shared understanding of what people are talking about. Communication is possible. The elimination of the Good/Bad dead end has nothing to do with our ability to choose and to discuss. Is a man sitting in a chair on a stage alone, playing a guitar, flamenco? If so, how flamenco is it? We can talk about these things without being overwhelmed by premonitions of the unintelligibility of art. Manitas de Plata represents someone on or near a borderline at the edges of flamenco, and such individuals always pose areas of vigorous discussion among interested parties. I never cared for Manitas, considering him strictly a creature of the media, and not liking his music, but it has been so long since I heard any of his stuff that I can't say at this time whether or not he is flamenco. I'll get back to you on that; maybe we can discuss it.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 14 2014 15:51:00

Leñador

http://youtu.be/1UQ_ZhC-1CU

I'm pretty confident that this is allowed to be listed below Paco in a list of good to bad.
I like judging things and people and don't mind being judged myself.

\m/
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 14 2014 15:53:42

runner

I am reminded of a remark made by the Roman general and onetime Triumvir M. Licinius Crassus when he learned that his rival general and Triumvir, Cn. Pompeius, had assumed the title Magnus, or "the Great": Crassus inquired, "Great in relation to what?". I also often return to Edmund Burke's often-quoted remark: "Though no man can draw a stroke between the confines of night and day, still light and darkness are on the whole tolerably distinguishable". I always liked the way John Lee Hooker played guitar--kind of lean and mean.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 14 2014 16:42:09
Page:   <<   <   1 [2] 3    >   >>
All Forums >>Discussions >>Off Topic >> Page: <<   <   1 [2] 3    >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post