Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

My beloved dog has passed   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>Off Topic >> Page: [1] 2    >   >>
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

TANúñez

My beloved dog has passed 

My Labrador who was 11 passed away from a sudden heart attack. He passed peacefully while laying at my feet. He was dubbed as my shop manager because he was always in there with me while I was building. What is difficult is the shop as well as my home feels empty and silent now. Not that he made a lot of noise but not hearing his nails click on the hardwood floor as he walks or the sound of his panting or name tag jingling on his collar makes things seem silent despite having other noises in the house like the TV, music or the children running around. It's a difficult adjustment. While building I'd often stop and ask him how it looks so far, he would just lift his head and give me a look almost as if he approved lol. I know he will not be my last dog as dogs have always been a part of life since childhood. I doubt I will ever find another like him. I wouldn't want to though. He had a special place in my heart reserved only for him.

Why am I posting this? to be honest, I really don't know. I guess because some of you here have lost an animal that was a big part of your life. I'm not looking for anyones pity or sympathy but would rather hear a story about the animal you loved and what made them special to you. This animal may also still be alive. I just like hearing stories about a good dog.

Tom Núñez
www.instagram.com/tanunezguitars
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 12 2012 15:26:51

Pgh_flamenco

RE: My beloved dog has passed (in reply to TANúñez

Sorry to hear of your loss. I could tell stories about all of my pets. My parents had two cats that were together for 10 years. When one cat died I had to take care of the other cat when they traveled. Interesting thing is this cat had no interest in people while the other cat was alive, but in the years that followed it became physically and emotionally clingy. By no interest in people I mean there was no way to even try to pet it without it attempting to bit you. Eventually it followed me around like a dog and would greet me at the door every time I visited my parents. It also found its voice and meowed and made eye contact to communicate. I ended up having this cat at my house for two years out of the last five years of its life. It was a fascinating transformation. Needless to say I was devastated when it died, but it was 15 years old.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 12 2012 15:41:15

Ron.M

I'm so sorry to hear that Tom.

It's such a heartache when a beloved dog dies.
I too had a Lab.
I remember the day we picked her up at the breeders place.
She was just a little black bundle of nonsense with a pink tongue and peed on my wife's lap on the way home in the car.

We made a little cosy bed for her in the living room with some toys and stuff, but no way was she staying there on her own and yelped until we took her upstairs to our room.

She was completely daffy and adorable and got up to all sorts of stupid things that would get me crying laughing!

She too was 11 when she sadly passed after a short illness.
It really tore me apart.
She had become so much part of my life.

Dogs just ARE special!

My heart goes out to you Tom.

Ron
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 12 2012 15:54:06

TANúñez

RE: My beloved dog has passed (in reply to Pgh_flamenco

Cats are very unique creatures. Presently I have 5! A 17 year old who is very attached to me but sadly I may be having to put her down soon as she has developed mammary tumors. We have a stray we rescued who just turned two and last summer I rescued 3 kittens that were about a day old from a sewage drain! We bottled feed them every two hours and it was difficult. We had the intentions of finding good homes for all of them but after all we went through, we fell in love with them since we raised them and ended up keeping them lol.

Tom Núñez
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 12 2012 15:56:22

TANúñez

RE: My beloved dog has passed (in reply to Ron.M

Thank you Ron. Labs are extremely intelligent creatures. Nothing like a good dog. They don't ask for anything but your love. They don't judge you. Only want your affection. Nothing like coming home and having that dog be the first to greet you with a wagging tail. No matter what kind of day you've had, a dog can always make that day better.

Tom Núñez
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 12 2012 16:00:48

Paul Magnussen

We lost our beloved cat Kiki Sue a few years ago: I managed to keep control until the vet asked if we had any last words; then I burst into tears.

One thing that amused us over the years was that after she’d eaten dinner, she always try to cover it up, even though the plate was on a hardwood floor.

But the pain does gradually grow less with time; and luckily he went as I’m sure he would have chosen: quickly, sitting at your feet.

Every sympathy.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 12 2012 16:16:16

Florian

RE: My beloved dog has passed (in reply to Paul Magnussen

i am so sorry to hear that amigo...its very sad, i never thought id be one of this people that cried when my dog dies but i broke down like a little girl when i took bobby to the vet to be put down...i guess you underestimate how much this fleabags have on your life until you lose them..

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 12 2012 17:11:40

Ruphus

Hi Tom,

Here´s a little story for you.

As you might know from the dump puppy thread, I have four almost 7 month old dogs, who I all love, but especially one of theirs.
These are from a very old Turkish breed named Kangal, meant for guarding cattle against wolves, bears and thieves.
They will be left at the herd alone without the shepperd and do their job on their own, even seek for predators on their own, before those might approach. Hence, they are meant to be very independant and making decisions on their own.

From there they are different from your average dog in that they don´t intend to please; obey rather little / only if they agree with your oder or do as inquired for loving you. ( Mine listen rather well most of the time.)

They are hard to keep / need experienced hands. ( Will often be outcasted once they reach puberty. Many being inhabitants in German shelters now ). But those who had one and knew how to, always want a Kangal again.
That is because of these dogs strong personality and often outstanding intelligence.

My darling of the four, named "Charlie", surprises me every other time.

Once I pointed to a giant ant outside of his original view, saying: "Ya, get that ant". He followed my finger, got up and got the ant. Tried this two more times and found that he wil understand my pointing at any angle other than when I point to right behind him.
Anyway, since that day he´s the only one of the four who grabs and eats giant ants, though these can bite fiercely. ( Guess the amino acid from eating them will be doing him good.)

As the country is littered with garbage, anytime there is wind, empty plastic bags will be blown into my yard. Unfortunately, the dogs will eat them, which can end up lethally easily. Specially, Charlies sister Susie likes to eat such trash.

One day I was sitting in the yard with Charlie at my side, when a bag came flying in. Susie took that thing and started jewing on it.
I said to Charlie: "Go and get the garbage form that twerp!", just in a joking way / not expecting him to understand.
Up he went right away, pulled the plastic out of his sisters mouth and returned to me.

Now when I´m fooling around with him, I keep reminding myself afterwards that this little guy might be actually understanding what I´m saying.

Having always wished to own a dog, this is my first actual time, and I dearly love these critters.
-

Yet, should find a home for at least two of them, as four take just too much of time, care and place; however despite all the inquiries from the people can´t find anyone suitable here.
Been suggested to possibly let them be flown out to Europe by animal shelter organisations. But without knowing potential adoptiv keepers first ...

I might actually be ending up with four.
Currently trying to retrieve cash and move to a place with big garden.

Ruphus

Charlie

Images are resized automatically to a maximum width of 800px

Attachment (1)
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 12 2012 18:20:33

TANúñez

RE: My beloved dog has passed (in reply to Paul Magnussen

quote:

I managed to keep control until the vet asked if we had any last words; then I burst into tears.

Ah Paul, I am dreading this as I may be putting down our 17 year old cat very soon. That is never easy no matter how long you have to prepare yourself. You tell yourself your ready but you never are.

Cats are a joy to watch. Their antics are always amusing.

Tom Núñez
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 12 2012 18:52:54

TANúñez

RE: My beloved dog has passed (in reply to Florian

quote:

i never thought id be one of this people that cried when my dog dies but i broke down like a little girl when i took bobby to the vet to be put down

Flo my friend, I am so sorry. I had no idea that Bobby was no longer with you. I remember some time back seeing some vids you would post of him. A great dog indeed.

Tom Núñez
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 12 2012 18:54:15

TANúñez

RE: My beloved dog has passed (in reply to Ruphus

Ruphus, I am very familiar with the Kangal and you are so right. They require a lot. A very strong willed breed for sure. I think it's great what you did in saving them. Charlie, there is definitely something special about him. He may be the boss of the pack that can help you keep order.

Tom Núñez
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 12 2012 18:56:06

Escribano

So sorry Tom. I still miss my lovely River dog who passed away last year. Putting him to sleep was the hardest thing I have ever done in my life.

Here is River in Granada, walking over lemons on our daily journey along the caminos.

I still cry a little when I think of him but I have lots of great memories. Maybe this video I made on my phone back then will cheer you up a little?

Images are resized automatically to a maximum width of 800px

Foro Flamenco founder and Admin
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 12 2012 19:01:33

TANúñez

RE: My beloved dog has passed (in reply to Escribano

I thought of you Escribano when I was first writing my post. I remember your heartbreak and I remember this photo. It captures his essence. Great video. Did bring a smile to my face. Thank you.

Tom Núñez
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 12 2012 19:49:47

duende

wow, Sorry Tom. Haven´t been through that yet ...hope it takes a good while before any of my cats go.

This is hard stuff!
Don't give up...
And don't make it a race.
Enjoy the ray of sunshine that comes with every new step in knowledge.

RON
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 12 2012 20:47:56

Ruphus

Hey Escribano,

Often times when looking at Charlie, I think of you.

When I was really doubting whether he could make it through, your encouraging words and the remark that puppies are some strong little fellows / that he may survive, truly helped me a lot.

And as incredible as it appeared at that point in time, you were right.

quote:

ORIGINAL: TANúñez

Charlie, there is definitely something special about him. He may be the boss of the pack that can help you keep order.

Unfortunately, as he came out most weakened of all after a poisioning attack, his brother Hermann ( who was totally cadaverous himself too ) has taken over the leader position. ( He now is the most stout of the pack.)

However, only physically. The females still adore and respect Charlie the most. Rather undermined, Hermann likes to be scruffy. Seems like I can keep him restraining most of the time though.

Charlie is properly gaining weight just as of late, don´t know though whether he´ll regain position.
-

The limited life time of pets is the only thing I dislike about them.

Maine Coon cats are being said to often get only 13. My tom cat is nearly 15,5 years old now, and I know that I have to prepare myself. But really can´t.
Can´t even think of how it would be without him.

My cousin never got himself another dog after his beloved cocker spaniel died some 12 years or so ago. For one, because he couldn´t be with him for too many daily hours / distrusting his family to be taking care enough ( who are begging him to get another dog, since years), secondly for not wanting to go through such a loss again.
-

Such on the one hand, and on the other hand billions of people who treat animals like a POS.

There´s so much educational work left to do with barbarian menkind. ( Sorry for OT.)

Ruphus
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 12 2012 20:53:16

TANúñez

Our vet feels that our recent 3 rescued kittens are half Maine Coon if not all.

I know the feeling of not wanting another animal because of the pain you go through when you lose it. However, in my opinion, you can't go through life like that. The pain of loss is temporary. It gets better with time. The amount of joy and good memories lasts a lifetime. The good far out weights the bad.

Tom Núñez
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 12 2012 21:00:52

Ruphus

quote:

ORIGINAL: TANúñez

I know the feeling of not wanting another animal because of the pain you go through when you lose it. However, in my opinion, you can't go through life like that. The pain of loss is temporary. It gets better with time. The amount of joy and good memories lasts a lifetime. The good far out weights the bad.

This is the most plausible sounding conclusion I have read to date.

I will be sending your words to him per e-mail.

Ruphus
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 12 2012 21:11:29

n85ae

Tom -

Every dog I lose hurts just as much as the last I lost, and it never doesn't
hurt, but I'll never stop having dogs.

Old men miss many dogs ....

Regards,
Jeff
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 12 2012 21:15:56

TANúñez

quote:

This is the most plausible sounding conclusion I have read to date.

I will be sending your words to him per e-mail.

Ruphus

I recently told this to a friend of mine the other day. He lost his dog two years ago. When I told him about mine he said he would never get another dog and have to go through that again. I asked him why he got married and he was like, what do you mean? I said well, you love your wife but she will in fact die one day, possibly before you so why did you get married knowing how bad that is going to hurt if and when that happens?

I'm glad to say he is currently searching for his next dog.

You can't stop loving because one day what you love will be taken away. The time we spend with our dogs is worth the pain of losing them when it's their time.

Tom Núñez
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 12 2012 21:27:36

TANúñez

RE: My beloved dog has passed (in reply to n85ae

quote:

Every dog I lose hurts just as much as the last I lost, and it never doesn't
hurt, but I'll never stop having dogs.

Old men miss many dogs ....

I totally agree Jeff.

Tom Núñez
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 12 2012 21:29:48

Doitsujin

Sad thing. Dogs ... you get endless pure love from your dogs till the end. Doesnt matter if you are old, young, dumb, stinky, cripple, jerk, handicapped, numb, crazy, poor, shy or whatever. You won´t ever get that from any human... not possible. That makes it really hard to loose one.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 12 2012 21:51:01

BarkellWH

I may be the only member of the Foro to have had a pet rabbit that traveled with me for eight years. I picked her up as a baby rabbit in 1989 while assigned to Santiago, Chile, named her Chiquita, and trained her to do verious tricks. She knew her name and would come when I called her. Shipped her back to Washington, DC, where I was assigned from 1990 to 1994, Then shipped her (via the "Pet Hotel" at Schiphol Airport in Amsterdam) to Jakarta, Indonesia in 1994, where she died of old age in 1997. Her system just gave out, and I had to have an Indonesian vet put her down. I think I felt worse than when my parents passed away, perhaps because she was a constant companion.

Bill

And the end of the fight is a tombstone white,
With the name of the late deceased,
And the epitaph drear, "A fool lies here,
Who tried to hustle the East."

--Rudyard Kipling
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 12 2012 22:54:00

TANúñez

RE: My beloved dog has passed (in reply to Doitsujin

quote:

Doesnt matter if you are old, young, dumb, stinky, cripple, jerk, handicapped, numb, crazy, poor, shy or whatever

You are right. I am all those things and my Dog didn't care

Tom Núñez
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 13 2012 1:37:40

TANúñez

RE: My beloved dog has passed (in reply to BarkellWH

quote:

I think I felt worse than when my parents passed away, perhaps because she was a constant companion.

I think I can relate to this. My Dad's passing tore me up pretty bad but there was something very different when my dog passed. Maybe because I raised him and cared for him his whole life.

Tom Núñez
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 13 2012 1:39:57

estebanana

I'm sorry to hear about your pooch Tom. You know Main Coons are great shop cats. You could probably teach one of them to band saw out neck blanks.

https://www.stephenfaulkguitars.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 13 2012 3:25:46

estebanana

That is simply awesome Bill that you traveled to numerous FS posts with your rabbit.

https://www.stephenfaulkguitars.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 13 2012 3:27:32

Anders Eliasson

Sorry to hear that Tom. All the best
Anders

Blog: http://news-from-the-workshop.blogspot.com/
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 13 2012 7:33:12

machopicasso

quote:

I know he will not be my last dog as dogs have always been a part of life since childhood. I doubt I will ever find another like him. I wouldn't want to though.

I don't have a story to share. But I will say it's a fascinating and beautiful thing when we manage to establish meaningful relationships with creatures of another species.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 13 2012 8:36:23

Ron.M

RE: My beloved dog has passed (in reply to machopicasso

I heard someone say just now (on the radio) on the subject of grief and grieving...

" I think actually our lives are defined more by loss than just about anything else."

Hmmm still thinking about that statement...
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 13 2012 11:20:42

Ruphus

RE: My beloved dog has passed (in reply to machopicasso

quote:

ORIGINAL: machopicasso

I will say it's a fascinating and beautiful thing when we manage to establish meaningful relationships with creatures of another species.

I claim it to be a precondition in the first place to develop enhanced empathical skills for humane being.

Men without emotions for fellow beings inevitably remains emotionally restricted and underdeveloped.

Ruphus
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 13 2012 11:23:31
Page:   [1] 2    >   >>
All Forums >>Discussions >>Off Topic >> Page: [1] 2    >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote