Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

RE: foroflamenco.com youtube collection "only guitar playing by members"   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: <<   <   1 2 [3] 4 5    >   >>
[Poll]

foroflamenco.com youtube collection " only guitar playing by members"

Yes
  81% (45)
No
  18% (10)

Total Votes : 55

(last vote on : Jan. 4 2013 2:52:23) 
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

Ricardo

RE: foroflamenco.com youtube collect... (in reply to El Kiko

quote:

You dont need this 2 or 3 videos stuff , just a link to your YouTube channel and all the stuff you have is there , or not ,..if you dont want it

Obviously but even more time consuming. What I proposed was to keep it simple and minimum so any new members can be pointed to choice material quickly. I have tons of stuff on my channel and not all are exemplary playing or even ME playing. But seeing a hand picked video for foro members would be simpler IMO.

CD's and transcriptions available here:
www.ricardomarlow.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 12 2012 17:29:09

El Kiko

RE: foroflamenco.com youtube collect... (in reply to Ricardo

quote:

But seeing a hand picked video for foro members would be simpler IMO.

Yes true , but if only there was some way of organizing some of this stuff by Palo rater than anything else , then you could have hand picked videos of foromembers playing ...Alegrias , example , and you could flick through quite a few of the same palo ..

I just dont see how that can be organised easily , but if it could it would be the best way ........

Don't trust Atoms.....they make up everything.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 12 2012 19:07:01

Doitsujin

Why do you want to organize it? The title should include the palo and there is a search engine. Btw. Does anybody open up a channel on youtube? Let´s get to the next phase...

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 12 2012 19:44:01

britguy

RE: foroflamenco.com youtube collect... (in reply to Ron.M

It seems like everyone agrees this is not a bad idea.

Seems like there's an awfull lot of arguing back and forth and up and down here, with no clear resolution or agreement on how to accomplish the original objective.

So why don't the more interested and more knowledgeable of the leading members ( 'fellows' or whatever?) elect a kind of steering committee - say seven (?) members - to put together a list of rules, concepts, do's and don'ts, etc. etc, and just go ahead and DO IT!

Maybe this same 'committee' can also review the submissions and decide what goes in and what doesn't. Instead of dumping it all on poor old Ricardo. (Who probaly has plenty of other stuff to occupy his time. . . )

If most of us in here think it is in fact a 'good idea', why doesn't someone just grab the Bull by the E strings, and go ahead and get it on.

In other words, my vote is : Yes

(For what it's worth. . . )

Fruit farmer, Ontario, Canada
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 12 2012 19:59:20

KMMI77

RE: foroflamenco.com youtube collect... (in reply to Doitsujin

quote:

Let´s get to the next phase...

Ain't nobody got time for Dat?

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 13 2012 5:26:53

estebanana

quote:

(Estebanana should perhaps post some wise words at this point.)

Bwahhahahahahaa Bwahhahahaa...

Odd day when I'm called on for wise words.

Anyway I love this idea, everyone should get a chance to post stuff. And not just hot shots. Everyone should post things at their own level.

Organizing it by palo and date makes a lot of sense. There must be way of doing without a few people needing to archive. Certainly comments should be disabled on youtube for general public. But a note on each video description saying this is being discussed on Foroflamenco at this URL would be splendid. Could attract new members.

Splendid I say.

I've been busy the last few days grinding away on a guitar delivery deadline, but when I get a minute I'll look over You tube and see if I get any ideas on how to organize the material.

https://www.stephenfaulkguitars.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 13 2012 6:26:43

estebanana

RE: foroflamenco.com youtube collect... (in reply to estebanana

And I like Fruit Farmers idea about a committee hashing out the particulars. But I say thecommittee should be made of only vetted Foro members. ( so having said that I recuse myself )

I think three or four people could do it in the beginning. I also suggest a trial period where we would go for a set amount of time and then stop for a few days. Then have an open discussion about how it works where the committee would only listen to other Foro members take in feedback without defending it.

I think the key is to set it up not only with good organization so it does not become a cataloging mess, but also think about how those who tend it could rotate in and out for a few months at a time. Three people could run it, with one person being changed every three months so those who do the archive work don't get burned out. So several members could be archivists, but work in shifts of a few months.

The archivists would also have some discipline about fairness and ethics. Some ground rules about what material is appropriate to video publish should be clearly elucidated and posted.

And last, but not least, ask Simon what he thinks and will abide with on his site when the trial model gets set up.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 13 2012 6:43:34

estebanana

As far as disabling comments, I think each person needs to disable comments on their own video if it is selected as a favorite in order to become part of the Foro channel.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 13 2012 6:48:51

gounaro

I think every member has to stay open in others comments... Good or bad ones...

Spyros
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 13 2012 6:52:47

Ron.M

I'm not a computer or IT expert, but it seems to me that when doing internet shopping on a site of a store I am normally presented with 2 questions.

1. What are you looking for? (eg "lawnmower")

I am then presented with say 50 lawnmowers of all types (eg, petrol, electric, battery, rotary, hover)

2. Search WITHIN results.

So basically there is a two step process to finding what you want.

OK, so is it possible for any of you software eggheads to produce a piece of software that would link a ForoFlamenco member with his YouTube channel so you could click on a "This Member's Videos" hyperlink?
You would then be presented with EVERY video that member has posted on YouTube.

Second step would be "Search within results" to find say "Bulerias".

I know this is easier said than done and "plugging in" a routine to existing forum software could be very difficult.
Maybe the link could take you "offsite" to a "sub site" where this program would run as a separate entity to the main forum software?

I dunno?

What I quite liked about my INDEXING post further back was that it allowed searching and commenting to be kept "on site" and it was the duty of EACH member to keep the index updated...and not the duty of any one, two, or three people.

cheers,

Ron
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 13 2012 7:45:18

Florian

quote:

I am then presented with say 50 lawnmowers of all types (eg, petrol, electric, battery, rotary, hover)

2. Search WITHIN results.

I think i understand what you are saying.....soo.. maybe bulerias WITH a wig....or bulerias WITHOUT...can be another page breaker

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 13 2012 8:37:14

KMMI77

quote:

OK, so is it possible for any of you software eggheads to produce a piece of software that would link a ForoFlamenco member with his YouTube channel so you could click on a "This Member's Videos" hyperlink?

Second step would be "Search within results" to find say "Bulerias".

Isn't that exactly this,

quote:

Guitarists

Florian- Link
Ron- link
kozz-link
ricardo- link
arash-link etc..

Luthiers,

estebanana--link
anders--link

dancers,

notmanydancers-link

singers--

nosingers-link

The link would be to the users you tube home page, From there you can type in key words to search the persons videos. "bulerias" for example

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 13 2012 8:51:06

Ron.M

RE: foroflamenco.com youtube collect... (in reply to KMMI77

Yeah Kris,

That's good and simple.
I didn't know you could search WITHIN a specific YouTube member's videos.

I suppose each member could include their YouTube channel URL in their signature maybe?

cheers,

Ron
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 13 2012 9:00:15

KMMI77

Looks like the foroflamenco name is already taken on you tube anyway

http://www.youtube.com/user/foroflamenco

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 13 2012 9:02:36

Florian

snobs

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 13 2012 9:07:50

Ron.M

quote:

Looks like the foroflamenco name is already taken on you tube anyway

Hmmm Kris,

I think that might have been Arash a while back (for innocent purposes of course....he just wanted to reserve the name for our future purposes).

cheers,

Ron
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 13 2012 9:09:03

KMMI77

quote:

That's good and simple.
I didn't know you could search WITHIN a specific YouTube member's videos.

Hey Ron,

I don't think it would be to much work to maintain a page like this. Like El Kiko says, not everyone will want to participate. The people who can only upload audio could create an account on a site like "sound cloud" and provide a link to their music on there.

For me i like the idea of having a page like this because sometimes on here, I remember a member that played something i like, but then after searching, find that they don't have the same user name on youtube, and I can no longer find the old thread. Or sometimes i just wonder what someone plays like after reading their comments.

It would be cool to be able to just go to a page and find a link if they provide one.

I thought the foro you tube channel idea could be used as a great tool to generate more interest and attract new members. It could work to the advantage of this sites owner and to the advantage of members. Provided some time and thought was put into it.

It could be interesting for people to subscribe to and watch members develop over the years. It could also be used to display some of the great things that come out of this site to an outside audience.

Don't forget we already have this site where anyone can upload anything they want. I kind of thought about it as a "best of" foro flamenco type thing. And when i say "best of" I don't mean only "the best player" or biggest hotshot. But the most interesting and beneficial contributions. Whatever they may be?

Take the foro CD for example. Unless people come here they have no way of knowing about it. It would take about 10 mins to take the cd cover image, display it as a slide in a video and add some sample audio from the cd. You upload it to you tube and it's out there marketing itself. Add simons anders video promo, and a few interesting videos from members, and you start to get a following.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 13 2012 9:23:32

Doitsujin

I got another idea, it is probably the solution.

I open up a blog where the admins + me and a couple of well chosen people can just link the videos in different categories without allowing comments on that blog.
Like that we get a nice overview where we could also insert explenations. And we link back to the foro on each video.

Here in the foro should be somewhere a button to get to the main page of that blog. So, no comments or writing on that blog, just the links to the videos with image and if needed short explenation and link to the foro.

I think that might work.
I think its not necessary to request disabling commenting on the individual youtube page of the uploaded since it wouldnt be any different for the actual situation. We are already linking youtube to the foro.

Ah and last thing. Only videos will be linked that occurred here in the foro. And, I wouldnd look for old videos to link to that page. I would go from what comes now. Maybe just some good old videos could be linked there to have a start. And....everything that is good from now onwards.

I will try to start that blog idea (without comments, so basically just a categorized link collection) this weekend and present it to the Admins and you guys. Then we decide if that is good or worthless.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 13 2012 9:25:25

Florian

quote:

I will try to start that blog idea (without comments, so basically just a categorized link collection) this weekend and present it to the Admins and you guys. Then we decide if that is good or worthless.

good idea

quote:

Ah and last thing. Only videos will be linked that occurred here in the foro. And, I wouldnd look for old videos to link to that page. I would go from what comes now. Maybe just some good old videos could be linked there to have a start. And....everything that is good from now onwards.

i am not so hot on that idea ...i have videos of previous performances with certain dancers and singers that cant be redone that i like and would like to be represented with on a page like this...do you mean not videos already on your Chanel now...but its ok if i re-upload the same vid specifically for this ?

and also as our vids get better with time (well hopefully) it would be good to have the option to update...delete certain vids...update them

EDIT..

never mind ...i never even got to the end of the sentence that i quoted you on...i did now...cool, apologies

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 13 2012 9:33:08

Elie

quote:

do you mean an offline software or an online one ?

if an offline one that wont be hard at all, here is a simple example

Images are resized automatically to a maximum width of 800px

Attachment (1)

http://www.youtube.com/user/GuitarristaAD
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 13 2012 9:53:43

xirdneH_imiJ

RE: foroflamenco.com youtube collect... (in reply to Elie

if Florian got a boob job he'd look like the lady on the left :)
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 13 2012 9:57:24

Ron.M

RE: foroflamenco.com youtube collect... (in reply to xirdneH_imiJ

quote:

if Florian got a boob job he'd look like the lady on the left :)

Yeah...with his Right hand in position to accept bribes!
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 13 2012 10:01:44

Elie

lool

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 13 2012 10:15:45

Doitsujin

Florian you could include older videos. We build that up step by step.

And guys wait till I show you the blog prototype. It should be a foroflamenco look alike somehow. So no gay dancers. ;P And it should be serious… not like a cheesy commercial. Its just a link collection. Clean, tight, minimalistc. Minimal design in the style of the foro. Let´s not overdo it.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 13 2012 10:24:31

Doitsujin

And Elie I appreciate your ideas! You might be the first person since years who wrote my nick completely..and correctly..haha ;)

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 13 2012 10:35:52

Elie

you're welcome Doitsujin and thank you for your directions about the style, very helpful.

I am not sure if I was accurate by calling it an offline version. but what popped up on my head reading Ron's comment is a lightweight software that would work as a link collector and could be downloaded from the foro like Flamenco Master and when opened, it will provide buttons same as the figure and when a button is clicked, it will lead to the member's channel (hyperlink) i.e it will open the browser. or it will lead to another form that will show the pieces or palos that member played and when those links clicked it will open the particular chosen youtube video
the problem would be updating the software and the links after each new video added

that was an idea .... it might be silly i admit

another idea and I think this is what you're talking about
we could create a sub site from the foro ( another simple site that collect links )
using asp.net I can achieve that easily
each user will be able to register and add his own links and those links will be available to others under his name.
the problem is finding a hosting server, or we could use a free one.

the second Idea I think is similar to the blog you will made , the only advantage is each user will be able to add his own links so there is no one person who will post every link.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 13 2012 11:19:03

Doitsujin

I think only some admins should be able to add videos. Otherwise it would end up in chaos or things against the rules. It must be controlled by not too many people.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 13 2012 15:24:32

Ron.M

quote:

I think only some admins should be able to add videos. Otherwise it would end up in chaos or things against the rules. It must be controlled by not too many people.

Hi Doit,

Remember anything posted on THIS site can be removed by Admin.... say if someone posted a cat video in the index, or a video of PdL etc.

Apart from that I'm not so sure I would want to be responsible for saying what video is acceptable and what is not.
I think if someone makes an effort to make a video of their playing, be it a complete piece or a few falsetas and feel they want it included in the index, then it should be....regardless if they are an ace player or a beginner.
(But that's only MY view and has no more weight than any other member.)

cheers,

(not signed. )
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 13 2012 15:47:19

Doitsujin

I think it would be pretty easy to decide what to add. Where is the problem?

Just give me 5 difficult examples...and I will show you how easy it would be.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 13 2012 16:20:57

Florian

RE: foroflamenco.com youtube collect... (in reply to xirdneH_imiJ

quote:

f Florian got a boob job he'd look like the lady on the left :)

Thats my mom !!

seriously did you do that on purpose pick the ugliest most masculine female dancer you could find ? reminds me of Jim Carry playing the female bodybuilder

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 13 2012 16:31:19
Page:   <<   <   1 2 [3] 4 5    >   >>
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: <<   <   1 2 [3] 4 5    >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post