Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

Using thumb in Alegrias rasgueados   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: [1]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

britguy

Using thumb in Alegrias rasgueados 

Recently been playing around trying to get a little more OOMPH into my Alegrias rasgueados, and found that using the thumb (both up and downstrokes ) plus all the fingers - similar to abanico - gave a lot of punch to the rythm.

Sorry to sound so naiive, but is this an accepted technique?

Dont recall seeing regular Alegrias rasguedos played using the thumb and the fingers, but I cant believe that others have not also tried using this technique, for greater emphasis.

Any comments. . . .?

Fruit farmer, Ontario, Canada
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 5 2012 22:10:45

dformell

RE: Using thumb in Alegrias rasgueados (in reply to britguy

Hi britguy,

The technique you described was used by Nino Ricardo over 80 years ago. In fact, Juan Martin demonstrates that very technique in his video instruction method: La
Guitarra Flamenca. Another guitarist that uses the the technique is Mariano Cordoba. Keep in mind, there is no right way or wrong way; if it sounds good and is played in compas than it's the "right way". Best of luck to you.

Dan
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 8 2012 14:32:23

britguy

RE: Using thumb in Alegrias rasgueados (in reply to dformell

quote:

used by Nino Ricardo over 80 years ago

Thanks!

My teacher in Madrid (Manolo Bonet) back in the '50's was a contemporary of Nino Ricardo. Maybe I picked it up from him? Too far back to rememeber. But it does sound good (when I can get it just right!)

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 9 2012 15:54:06

Ron.M

Yeah Britguy,

I think it works better in Trad stuff in E (like Cantiñas) than in A myself.

"Modern" style playing uses tighter, more controlled ras so tends to use fingers only IMO.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 9 2012 17:38:46

estebanana

quote:

My teacher in Madrid (Manolo Bonet) back in the '50's was a contemporary of Nino Ricardo.

Wow you're so lucky to have been there. I would love to have seen Spain in those years.

In Alegrias in those rasgueado styles you can get a lot of mileage from left hand damping with annular and pinky.

you can get that syncopated -ba bup ba bup bup ba bah- articulation at the end of a compas before ten: and 7 8 and 9 and 10

https://www.stephenfaulkguitars.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 9 2012 17:53:24

britguy

RE: Using thumb in Alegrias rasgueados (in reply to estebanana

quote:

Wow you're so lucky to have been there. I would love to have seen Spain in those years.

Actually, it wasn't all wine and roses. Being the so-called 'dark days' of the Franco era. Policia and Guardias Civiles all over the place. (And being a young Limey with a ginger beard made for a sitting target for random searches, even my rucksack and guitar case. . .) Still plenty of visible Civil War damage in Madrid. And poverty very much evident.

But it was still a fantastic place to be at that time. Such a beautifull country, but so much poverty, and fear. . .

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 9 2012 21:00:56

estebanana

Yes I have heard about the down sides of those days and researched the era through my readings. I'm sure a great many Spaniards are glad those days are behind them. My first trip to Spain was in 1989, so I missed a great deal of old flamenco. Or really all of it....Then when I returned for the trip after that it was mid 1990's it was really different even compared to 1989. I can only imagine how it was in the 50's.

https://www.stephenfaulkguitars.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 10 2012 5:43:53
Page:   [1]
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote