Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

Planatery Tuners   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>Lutherie >> Page: [1]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

Kalo

Planatery Tuners 

Hi All,

What I am trying to find out is are Palnatery Tuners reliable??

I am going to have a flamenco guitar built and thought I would check out my options...

I've heard that after a while Planatery Turners don't work as well...

Can anyone shed some light?

Thanks,

Kalo
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 1 2012 16:52:31

etta

RE: Planatery Tuners (in reply to Kalo

I have four guitars with them, pegheds; no problems, and if a problem did develop the defective peg could be replaced
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 1 2012 17:04:42

Anders Eliasson

I´ve just finshed one with planetary pegs and they work VERY well. I will upload some pictures and a video soon

Blog: http://news-from-the-workshop.blogspot.com/
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 1 2012 17:26:23

Kalo

Thanks for the feed back, Etta, and Anders!

Anders, I am looking forward to seeing your pic of the the finished guitar with planetary pegs

One more questions is do you all think that planetary pegs make a difference in the sound of the guitar? I've heard a lighter stock head is better for toneand response...Yes, I know bracing and top means a lot...

Kalo
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 1 2012 17:34:24

Shawn Brock

Well, I love them myself. I have 1 guitar with planetary pegs, and when I place an order for my next custom guitar, that's what I'll have installed.

I can't say for sure that there's a sound difference when comparing guitars with planetary pegs to guitars with tuners. Lots of people say that guitars with pegs sound different than guitars with tuners, and I think they are probably right. I think the extra weight provided by tuners causes more sustain than guitars with any kind of pegs. In theory, the attack is also quicker on guitars with pegs because there is less weight on the headstock.

I have never seen planetary pegs stop functioning. The only problems I have heard of is when people forget that the E strings go on the outside of the peg head and not the inside. Then what happens is the tension of the string fights the gear and causes the string not to hold, and or the peg to come unscrewed. Also I have heard of people who don't know that if you want the peg to feel tighter while tuning, that you need to lower tension on the string a little and give the peg a push to drive it deeper into the shaft. If you want less tension while tuning, just bring the pitch of the string down some, and pull the head of the peg away from the headstock. I know, seems pretty easy right? And it is, but somehow some people seem to miss those points.

In short, I like them as good as I have ever liked any tuner and highly recommend them. Oh, and if your wondering, I have a flamenco with Pegheds, one with ebony pegs and one with tuners, so I have all bases covered... Plus, you can string a guitar in no time with these things! Way quicker than using tuners... I think you would like them!
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 3 2012 1:45:20

Kalo

Hi Sean,

THANKS, for the awesome reply on planatery tuners..

It's always great when players who do have them give great reviews and makes me feel very confident that I will look into it...

Kalo
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 3 2012 3:18:02
Page:   [1]
All Forums >>Discussions >>Lutherie >> Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote