Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

CG172SF Yamaha   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>Product Reviews >> Page: [1]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

RTC

CG172SF Yamaha 

I had a few minutes to kill today as I drove by the Guitar Center in Plano, Texas.
I decided to stop and check out some Amps for my nephew. Soon I found myself in the Acoustic Guitar area.

I am not in the market for a guitar, if I was I would be contacting a Luthier from this forum, but I picked up a Yamaha, and a couple of Cordobas to plink on. I was pleasantly surprised by what I heard coming put of the Yamaha CG172SF, i enjoyed playing it.

If anyone is in the market for a first guitar and on a budget, you can't go wrong. It might make a good beach/pool/travel or just to have guitar.

I can't believe I walked out of there with out it, i really enjoyed it.

No comment on the others I played.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 28 2012 23:19:08

LBrandt

RE: CG172SF Yamaha (in reply to RTC

I bought a Yamaha CG172SF from that same store in Plano just a few weeks ago. I have other classical guitars, and I have a better flamenco guitar than the Yamaha, but I wanted the Yamaha as a second flamenco. I agree that it's a good value for the money.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 29 2012 0:35:48

El Kiko

The good old Yamaha Flamenco ,,,,,,,,, be it the 171 or 172 . is one of the things that comes here every few weeks ,,,, .. I think it should have a little section of its own , to stop the 'going around in circles thing' ,,,everybody says the same or similar . its worth it ... as a beginners guitar ,,, penny for penny ,,, you cant go wrong ,,,,,,.. the top end of the market is clear ,,,,.. you pay and get what you need .... the bottom end of the market is clear , and that's where Yamaha come in ,,, I have one ........ I am very happy with it ,,,,,,,,,,,,
maybe a guitar reviews section is needed ,,, . ......
its only the mid range guitars that are questionable ...
..like you paid enough, but still not good enough , ?? maybe , ?/
my advice is would be , if you are being professional , stay away from medium priced guitars as you will be unhappy in the long run , put your hand in your pocket and get a good friend , ,. ...or.......... stay Yamaha,, . as a hobby ,, .. either way you gain ...
My 2 cents ...

Don't trust Atoms.....they make up everything.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 29 2012 0:57:39

yourwhathurts69

Sorry, guys, I have to disagree. I just played a 172 again today and reminded myself of how terrible the last one I played was. I used to think yamaha guitars were actually pretty decent for the money, but after trying the newer flamenco model, I realize I would never buy a 172, not even a cheap used one. It looks like a cheap chinese guitar, the binding is a so square you can almost cut yourself on it, the guitar has no response, no volume, and has a really cheap, matte finish. Even the price seems too high for what you're getting. I think the only thing good about it was the neck - that actually felt all right.

If anyone is looking for a decent, cheap flamenco, go with the older flamenco model (CG171SF). You can find them all over ebay. I've played a few of those and was impressed. I've been tempted on several occasions to pick one up as a beater, but still haven't gotten around to it....

So, just a quick summary of my review: the newer yahama flamenco model is garbage. I wouldn't waste my money. Look for a nice used older model.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 29 2012 7:02:25

LBrandt

RE: CG172SF Yamaha (in reply to yourwhathurts69

Having been a member of this forum for some time, and also being a member of another guitar forum, I am surprised to see a word such as “garbage” used to comment on another member’s guitar purchase. I have always operated on the notion that if I had nothing nice to say about another member’s guitar, then I would say nothing.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 29 2012 13:15:21

[Deleted] (in reply to LBrandt

[Deleted by Admins]
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 29 2012 16:26:35

LBrandt

RE: CG172SF Yamaha (in reply to Guest

I have nothing against anyone posting a negative review, but I don't consider that my Yamaha CG172SF is garbage.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 29 2012 17:16:09

Elie

IMO Yamaha guitars in general are great for the price they cost ... the sound might be not the best but they are playable and easy
I have two classic yamahas and I tried the flamenco one and it was good and the price was shocking cheap

http://www.youtube.com/user/GuitarristaAD
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 29 2012 17:32:17
Page:   [1]
All Forums >>Discussions >>Product Reviews >> Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote