Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

Paco de Lucia's Performance in Washington, DC   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: [1] 2 3 4    >   >>
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

BarkellWH

Paco de Lucia's Performance in Washi... 

Last evening, I went to see Paco de Lucia's performance at the Strathmore Music Center in Bethesda, Maryland, a suburb of Washington, DC. As usual, Paco put on an amazing display of guitar virtuosity. His group consisted of a second guitarist, a cajon player, a bass guitarist, a harmonica player, a singer, palmas, and a male dancer. Each piece was long, with many different riffs and lightning-fast picados. There was very little rasgueado or tremolo. The bass guitarist was good, and the harmonica player really put his soul into it. And, as I stated, Paco's virtuoso performance on the guitar remains unrivaled.

What the performance was not, however, was great flamenco. I would call it "jazz-infused," fusion-flamenco. (I hate that term "fusion," but there you are.) In fact, my wife (who is Brazilian) and I both agreed that some of the performance sounded very much like Brazilian jazz with a bit of samba thrown in. There were riffs when Paco sounded very much like early Carlos Barbosa-Lima. I don't think he deliberately meant to, but then, maybe he did. At the end, Paco and his group came back on stage for a great encore. To sum up, It was a great performance and a fine musical evening. But if I want to listen to what most of us think of as more traditional flamenco, I would turn to Paco Pena.

Full disclosure: I did not take my guitar with me, I did not run back-stage to try and catch Paco in his dressing room like some aging groupie, and I did not try to get him to autograph my (non-existent) guitar or my wife's posterior.

Cheers,

Bill

And the end of the fight is a tombstone white,
With the name of the late deceased,
And the epitaph drear, "A fool lies here,
Who tried to hustle the East."

--Rudyard Kipling
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 19 2012 14:29:28

Ricardo

RE: Paco de Lucia's Performance in W... (in reply to BarkellWH

no it was all traditional flamenco. By now i would hope folks that follow flamenco know what paco's show is about.

Pretty much same program as that full length concert video filmed in Germany 2 years ago on youtube. He played Rondeña instead of Minera. The oldest falsteta he did I think was from Doblen Campanas the tremolo. He was pretty on this time considering he has ups and downs via youtube cel vids over last few years. The buleria was acceptional with a couple new remates, an extra C# falseta from zyrab with different thumb falseta ending which was a surprise, and overall good energy despite the fact his group looks burnt out. 17 concerts in US I heard will be the tour! Time to change out the band members I am afraid. Well, the 2nd guitarst Antonio Sanchez looked enthusiastic.

The buleria group number also was in C# and Duquende threw off everybody with some wacky key changing letra. Paco, bass player and Antonio all fishing for different chords....then paco gave duquende the evil eye and the singers all laughed. LIke I said, seems the band is getting burnt out. All the cantes that were sung in either F# like taranta, or C#. Duquende did buleria por solea in F# and siguiriya! Thats like super high. THe other guy David did Solea alcala in F# and later in C# for farruco dancing. Oh yeah tangos was in E phyrigian. Again very high keys for the guy singers....they have to really strain at times....makes me miss the female singers he had a few years back.

I posted a pic in the thread of Rumba king where he played and signed his Peter Tsorba guitar.

Ricardo

CD's and transcriptions available here:
www.ricardomarlow.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 19 2012 15:04:19

BarkellWH

RE: Paco de Lucia's Performance in W... (in reply to Ricardo

quote:

no it was all traditional flamenco. By now i would hope folks that follow flamenco know what paco's show is about.

I understand what Paco's show is about (having seen him on several occasions), and I very much enjoyed it. And I certainly accept different individuals' definition of "traditional." Mine, however, does not include lots of bass guitar and harmonica. It is all a matter of personal taste, and for the more traditional flamenco, my taste runs to Paco Pena.

Cheers,

Bill

--Rudyard Kipling
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 19 2012 15:14:34

Bulerias2005

quote:

ORIGINAL: BarkellWH

quote:

I understand what Paco's show is about (having seen him on several occasions), and I very much enjoyed it. And I certainly accept different individuals' definition of "traditional." Mine, however, does not include lots of bass guitar and harmonica. It is all a matter of personal taste, and for the more traditional flamenco, my taste runs to Paco Pena.

Cheers,

Bill

Bill, that sounds exactly what Humberto said after the show. You know what's funny, though, Paco seems to agree... here's part of their backstage conversation:

Paco: "You know, Humberto, I have this thing where I tell my bandmembers that they sucked after every show. Why don't you tell that to them this time?"
Humberto: "Not only were they crap, but your playing was terrible as well!"

*gasps from bandmembers*

Paco: "I know! I retired from flamenco 30 years ago".

Daniel Volovets
Jazz, Classical, Flamenco, & Latin-American Guitar
http://www.danielvolovets.com/
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 19 2012 15:18:49

Ricardo

RE: Paco de Lucia's Performance in W... (in reply to Bulerias2005

Paco has fought with purists since his first album. Saying he doesnt play ANY traditional flamenco after all he is been through in his career is odd to me. Do folks really need a restating that he has changed flamenco? I mean I am about ready for the big april fools where some people come on after a recent paco concert and say "wow, great traditional flamenco ....I think he play guajiras de lucia and some Nino ricardo and sabicas falsetas. FINALLLY a nice flamenco concert from paco! "

www.ricardomarlow.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 19 2012 15:24:03

XXX

Since when is traditional the only definition of great flamenco.

Фламенко
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 19 2012 15:37:55

mezzo

quote:

All the cantes that were sung in either F# like taranta, or C#

Ricardo how do you determinate the keys for cante?
Is it by the singer' voice only (regardless of the guitar or capo position. eg without capo). Or is it relative to the capo position of the guitar?

I mean isnt' the pitch' voice always the same? If a cantaor sings various tunes, the guitarist could varied the key by moving the capo. But his voice remains always in the same key.
Am I right?

quote:

Paco Pena

Ah! This brave traditional pillar. Fortunatly he's there...

"The most important part of Flamenco is not in knowing how to interpret it. The higher art is in knowing how to listen." (Luis Agujetas)
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 19 2012 15:53:32

Ricardo

RE: Paco de Lucia's Performance in W... (in reply to mezzo

quote:

ORIGINAL: mezzo

quote:

All the cantes that were sung in either F# like taranta, or C#

Ricardo how do you determinate the keys for cante?
Is it by the singer' voice only (regardless of the guitar or capo position. eg without capo). Or is it relative to the capo position of the guitar?

I mean isnt' the pitch' voice always the same? If a cantaor sings various tunes, the guitarist could varied the key by moving the capo. But his voice remains always in the same key.
Am I right?

quote:

Paco Pena

Ah! This brave traditional pillar. Fortunatly he's there...

Sorry I was not clear. The guitar is the driving force in Paco's group if you have not paid attention to his performances for the last 25 years or so. The cante is placed inside his arrangement of familiar themes he has recorded throughout the history of his career. He doesn't just play new material or "Jam on jazz fusion" numbers as many casual listeners seem to think (judging by their reviews). Often he has to arrange older falsetas to new keys, or change keys in the middle of a piece. And it is not always the same arrangement, the band has to be well versed in all his typical falsetas for a form so Paco can sort of improvise the arrangement.

Anyway solea por buleria was in F# no capo, as was Zyrab. While perhaps most of the audience just hears jazz, the singers both sang Solea alcala joaquin 1, Buleria larga, and Siguiriyas (manuel torre style) in this key which is equivalent of 9 por medio! The buleria, siguiriya/solea por buleria medley was in C# no capo, equivalent of 4 por medio. So the singers had to have the equivalent range of jumping the same type of letras between 9 por medio and 9 por arriba in order to accomodate Paco's pieces. Tangos was in E no capo, so 7 por medio. HOpe that makes some sense.

ANd about "brave" paco peña.... I guess if you consider interpreting N. Ricardo Sabicas and Montoya live your entire career (with a sneek here or there from 70s era PDL por fandango) as brave....where as someone like Paco de Lucia plays is so playing it safe by evolving EACH form with every new recording and continues to change it up here and there live at 64 years old.....

www.ricardomarlow.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 19 2012 16:23:26

n85ae

Well hopefully he's playing well Friday here in Chicago when we see him. Last
time I saw him was during the time when he recorded Live in America, which
was a almost exact rendition of the concert I saw.

Regards,
Jeff
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 19 2012 16:28:24

mezzo

quote:

HOpe that makes some sense.

So singing for Paco is something too specific

quote:

interpreting N. Ricardo Sabicas and Montoya live your entire career (with a sneek here or there from 70s era PDL por fandango) as brave

Well as Angus Young.

"The most important part of Flamenco is not in knowing how to interpret it. The higher art is in knowing how to listen." (Luis Agujetas)
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 19 2012 16:36:09

Ricardo

RE: Paco de Lucia's Performance in W... (in reply to n85ae

quote:

ORIGINAL: n85ae

Well hopefully he's playing well Friday here in Chicago when we see him. Last
time I saw him was during the time when he recorded Live in America, which
was a almost exact rendition of the concert I saw.

Regards,
Jeff

The last time he came to US I think was 2007. 5 year gap, yet he plays around the world every year. With the general (I say 80 to 90% of "Flamenco" fans that go see him) attitude that what he plays is NOT flamenco anymore, or just some jazz ****, I am surprised he comes to USA AT ALL EVER. Same thing every time he comes I hear "oh I hope he plays some good ol flamenco this time" or "I saw the same exact concert 10 years ago" or "paco doesn't have the speed anymore" etc etc type crap. He said in an interview I think in 1997 or so that America audiences are warm, but still stuck on Sabicas era flamenco and don't understand what he is playing. Sorry fellow americans, but its true and it's embarrassing. I hope Paco has SOME good success with tour and decides to return cuz he still plays great and these gaps are getting longer and longer between visits it seems.

Ricardo

www.ricardomarlow.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 19 2012 16:44:03

ToddK

quote:

Then why the hell would you go to a Paco de Lucia concert in the first place?

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 19 2012 16:57:13

Ricardo

quote:

So singing for Paco is something too specific

No, it's what they have settled on. Paco has arranged his stuff to accomodate lots of different singers he has used...or shall I say EXPOSED to the world. I have seen Paco drop falsetas to lower keys...he has played tangos for example in D, D#, and E. Por medio is por medio so he is able to adapt to whatever key por medio for all those cantes. Obvious he likes some estribillos of camaron or his brother wrote, or ones HE wrote... It is not like he is forcing cante to do what HE wants....I was just surprised at what keys the singers have settled on, knowing what paco has done for singers in the past, and was just trying to share it with you guys. As far as catoring to a cantaor totally....I remind that he stopped doing that LONG ago because he was embarressed to get more accolades then the singer. So after his brother left, he has promoted what I call "Camaroneros" with his world tours and recordings. Potito, Duquende, Utrera, Chonchi, Tana, Cigala, and now this David guy, all possibly could have remained wannabes if not for Paco's support. IMO.

Ricardo

www.ricardomarlow.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 19 2012 17:01:55

ToddK

The show was great. The band was outstanding.

The sound was exceptionally good in this hall. Great acoustics and a
great sound system.

However, Paco's playing, other than some nice punchy picados, was
pretty soft and tired. At least in comparison to 20 years ago when i saw
him at Lisner auditorium.
Dont get me wrong, he's still playing great. There were some nice powerful
rasgeo's, and some stops that hit you in the face.

But overall, especially the thumb work, which is a majority of the night, sounded weak and muffled compared to what i expected. I could follow the falsettas i knew pretty well, but much of the night, i couldnt really hear what he was doing.
I dont think it was a sound system issue. I could hear him when he dug into a part. I just think at this point, he doesnt want to kill his right hand blasting
out every note full bore like he used to. I caught him at several points of the night during other members solos, rubbing and massaging his hands alot.

And though the band was fantastic, i got the overall feeling that they were
desperately fighting boredom, and were totally burnt out on the set.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 19 2012 17:08:13

Mark2

There are flamencos everywhere(not just in the US) of different ages that like different kinds of flamenco. No one is obligated to enjoy Paco's latest experiment more than his older stuff. Many people don't even like his early solo stuff because it was too modern. It doesn't make them bad afficianados and it doesn't mean they don't understand the key of F#

Artists of all kinds have been frustrated by their fans because they want to hear the stuff that made them famous more than the latest creation. I think it's legit to consider if what Paco is playing today would make him famous today or if he gets to continue to perform in front of large audiences based more on what he has done and who he is.

For sure many people don't understand what he is playing, that has always been the case, but there are also many other supporters who know well what he is doing, but prefer to hear something else. Is it wrong to prefer Cepa to the latest bulerias in C#? No, it's human nature, and I think Paco , and any other artist who has had the good fortune to have a career performing for fifty years or so, might want to throw a bone to followers that like the old stuff, instead of insulting them.

Having said all that, I'm really taking a contrary position to make a point. I don't need Paco to play his old solos to enjoy his performance, but I would rather see him get rid of the harmonica and the bass player. I have very little interest in hearing those instruments in flamenco, and it's not because I can't dig F#

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ricardo

He said in an interview I think in 1997 or so that America audiences are warm, but still stuck on Sabicas era flamenco and don't understand what he is playing. Sorry fellow americans, but its true and it's embarrassing. I hope Paco has SOME good success with tour and decides to return cuz he still plays great and these gaps are getting longer and longer between visits it seems.

Ricardo

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 19 2012 17:11:23

ToddK

RE: Paco de Lucia's Performance in W... (in reply to Mark2

quote:

but I would rather see him get rid of the harmonica and the bass player.

Hmm, interesting. I'd like to see him play what he likes and wants to play.

I guess im a Paco De Lucia fan.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 19 2012 17:15:07

mezzo

Ricardo thanks for the replies

quote:

Potito, Duquende, Utrera, Chonchi, Tana, Cigala, and now this David guy, all possibly could have remained wannabes if not for Paco's support. IMO.

You didn't named Montse Cortes on purpose?

quote:

I dont think it was a sound system issue. I could hear him when he dug into a part. I just think at this point, he doesnt want to kill his right hand blasting
out every note full bore like he used to.

I saw him in a particular context. Not in a theatre but outdoors under a tent. The sound was set up also low for him regarding the rest of the band. I was standing up very close to him and could notice that he played super soft.
Add the softness, the low set up volume, and the public behaviour (speaking loudly as if it was a rock gig), at the end of the show, several peoples complained about the issue that it was hard to hear Paco.
One even said to me that this way Paco's mistakes go unnoticed

quote:

might want to throw a bone to followers that like the old stuff, instead of insulting them.

wow! that's HARSH man! Do you really think that Paco insults his public??!!

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 19 2012 17:46:23

Mark2

Didn't mean for it to come across as harsh. I'm a huge Paco fan. There have been cases where modern style players, when traveling abroad, find that aficianados in other countries in some cases prefer older flamenco styles. It has been said on more than one occasion by the artists that these aficianados don't understand the modern style. Maybe some don't. But some do, and they still prefer the old. For an artist to infer that because people prefer what the artist recorded 30 years ago to whatever they are playing now is because of a lack of understanding as opposed to a matter of taste could be considered an insult.

Imagine you go see led zep and they don't play stairway..........and say because you don't like the new stuff they do, you simply don't get it. Maybe you don't, maybe you do. Point is, they would most likely play it. I personally don't care what Paco plays, I'm happy just to see him play flamenco. and i don't care if he plays some stuff that isn't flamenco. But I do have a preference as far as the supporting instrumentation.

quote:

quote:

might want to throw a bone to followers that like the old stuff, instead of insulting them.

wow! that's HARSH man! Do you really think that Paco insults his public??!!
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 19 2012 18:12:10

Ron.M

RE: Paco de Lucia's Performance in W... (in reply to ToddK

quote:

But overall, especially the thumb work, which is a majority of the night, sounded weak and muffled compared to what i expected. I could follow the falsettas i knew pretty well, but much of the night, i couldnt really hear what he was doing.

Hi Todd,

Long time no speak...

Yeah, that's the overall impression I got when I saw him.
I felt it was a different artist to the one I "knew".
Things seemed very muffled with occasional 5 seconds burst of stuff.

Nothing like the immaculately clean stuff like Guajiras de Lucia or El Tempúl or even the brilliant falsetas when he was with El Camaron.

Sounded tired,

Came away pretty disappointed with the sound of a pretty average club band and Larry Adler ringing in my ears.

Where was this Paco de Lucia?

Got back and put on some early albums and he was there!

Hey...not exactly running out to buy the latest Bob Dylan album either.

Guess that's the way it goes....you make your mark and become a legend and folk will pay good money just to say they have seen you.

He deserves his money IMO.

Just like McCartney or Chuck Berry.

cheers,

Ron
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 19 2012 18:13:37

Bulerias2005

The impressions here are pretty interesting, because the concert in Minnesota was totally different... I don't like Paco's newest live album at all because his playing sounds lifeless and bored... but he gave it his all at the concert... maybe because it was his first (and probably last) time here?...

Daniel Volovets
Jazz, Classical, Flamenco, & Latin-American Guitar
http://www.danielvolovets.com/
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 19 2012 18:14:53

Paul Magnussen

quote:

ANd about "brave" paco peña.... I guess if you consider interpreting N. Ricardo Sabicas and Montoya live your entire career (with a sneek here or there from 70s era PDL por fandango) as brave

An exaggeration, but yes, Paco Peña’s style is nearer to the that of Sabicas/Ricardo generation harmonically and rhythmically than it is to that of the post-Lucía generation. But so what?

Dozens, maybe hundreds, of guitarists are trying to play like Lucía, more or less successfully, usually less. Why be another one? PP composes in the style he’s comfortable with, and fortunately there’s a still large audience for it. Personally, I’m glad that someone‘s keeping the old style alive — as are others, for instance Luis El Zambo & Diego Amaya.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 19 2012 18:19:17

mezzo

quote:

Imagine you go see led zep and they don't play stairway.

To be fair, Paco still plays Entre 2 Aguas. So it match your analogy imo

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 19 2012 18:21:40

TANúñez

I will see him on the 30th and to be totally honest, I don't care what he plays. It's just always a thrill to see and hear what his hands do on the guitar. It's Paco!

Tom Núñez
www.instagram.com/tanunezguitars
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 19 2012 18:24:06

Mark2

Good point!

quote:

quote:

Imagine you go see led zep and they don't play stairway.

To be fair, Paco still plays Entre 2 Aguas. So it match your analogy imo
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 19 2012 18:29:24

Ron.M

HaHa!

Me and the (then) wife went down to a local venue/bar to see Billy J Kramer some years back.

The Liverpool Sound!

It wasn't even an evening concert thing but a lunchtime happy hour scene in a bar!

The sound of the 60's!!!

Good to hear his 3 hits but he stood there, pretty fat in a worn out leather suit and minus the production stuff of a London recording studio or the big acoustics of a big concert hall or arena.

Actually just sounded like someone from the audience had just got up there for a bit of karaoke with a younger local band who didn't even get the chord changes right and were chewing gum and laughing..

Oh yeah...

And saw an advert poster for another famous 60's band "The Searchers" ( Needles n Pins) playing at the local school hall in nowheresville in the north of Scotland....

Long way from the screaming teen girls ..

cheers,

Ron
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 19 2012 18:46:41

BarkellWH

quote:

Then why the hell would you go to a Paco de Lucia concert in the first place?

Because, as I stated in my original review, Paco's virtuoso performance on the guitar remains unrivaled. I go to listen to his performance and the music he creates. That I do not consider it my taste in flamenco has nothing to do with my enjoyment of the virtuosity he displays on the guitar.

Cheers,

Bill

--Rudyard Kipling
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 19 2012 18:58:24

BarkellWH

RE: Paco de Lucia's Performance in W... (in reply to XXX

quote:

Since when is traditional the only definition of great flamenco.

If you recall, Deniz, I wrote,"I certainly accept different individuals' definition of "traditional." Mine, however, does not include lots of bass guitar and harmonica. It is all a matter of personal taste." I made it clear that I was only giving my opinion. You are free to have yours, as is everyone else.

Cheers,

Bill

--Rudyard Kipling
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 19 2012 19:02:27

jg7238

RE: Paco de Lucia's Performance in W... (in reply to n85ae

quote:

Last
time I saw him was during the time when he recorded Live in America

In my humble opinion, when I saw the Paco de Lucia Sextet back in the mid 90's, it was as good as it can possibly get. I saw him at Avery Fisher Hall, Lincoln Center and it probably was the most memorable concert for me with John Williams being a close second. I have the concert recorded on cassette and all I can say is that Paco is a true Genius. His band members (Jorge Pardo, Carlos Benavent, Rubem Dantas, Ramon and Pepe) were all phenomenal as well. It's kind of sad to see that Paco does not play half of what he used to and I don't mean just technically but it seems like he just plays because he has a responsibility to his fans. I just get the impression he no longer enjoys playing as much as he once did. He must be burnt out; after all he has been touring almost nonstop since he was 12.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 19 2012 19:03:48

BarkellWH

quote:

The show was great. The band was outstanding.

I completely agree with you, Todd. As I wrote in my original review, "To sum up, It was a great performance and a fine musical evening." That I did not consider it great flamenco did not in any way diminish my enjoyment of the performance.

Cheers,

Bill

--Rudyard Kipling
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 19 2012 19:06:35

Ron.M

RE: Paco de Lucia's Performance in W... (in reply to jg7238

Hi jg,

I think myself it was a waste burying Michael Jackson.
I mean commercially...

They could have got a good Taxidermist and with today's robotic prosthetics he could have appeared all over the world for years yet, with some great backing tracks and firework shows at the end...

Business plan "FAIL" imo...

cheers,

Ron
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 19 2012 19:17:03
Page:   [1] 2 3 4    >   >>
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: [1] 2 3 4    >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message