Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

La Bella 2001 Flamenco Strings - improved   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>Product Reviews >> Page: [1] 2    >   >>
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

Ramon Amira

La Bella 2001 Flamenco Strings - imp... 

I just tried the La Bella 2001 black nylon trebles, with the "New Improved Trebles" sticker on them. They really are new and vastly improved. The intonation problems that they were having have been completely rectified. (no pun intended).

The intonation is now dead on. And it seems like maybe while they were at it they tweaked the formula a bit, because apart from the corrected intonation they sound even brighter.

I was also very impressed with the sound of the bass strings. Rich and bright, and well matched to the trebles. All in all it's a really good set of flamenco strings, and inexpensive too.

It's nice to see a company paying attention to our concerns and taking them seriously enough to actually do something about it.

Ramon

Classical and flamenco guitars from Spain Ramon Amira Guitars
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 17 2012 18:46:41

TANúñez

RE: La Bella 2001 Flamenco Strings -... (in reply to Ramon Amira

I use these all the time and when I went to order more, I saw that D'Addario Pro Arte now has a flamenco string. Anyone use these? I've used the regular D'Addario pro arte but not the flamenco ones.

Images are resized automatically to a maximum width of 800px

Attachment (1)

Tom Núñez
www.instagram.com/tanunezguitars
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 17 2012 20:55:36

kudo

very interesting...

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 17 2012 21:10:39

Sean

They came out more then a year ago. Basses are composites, they sound funky when first put on, like added distortion until they settle in.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 17 2012 21:14:41

beno

quote:

I use these all the time and when I went to order more, I saw that D'Addario Pro Arte now has a flamenco string. Anyone use these? I've used the regular D'Addario pro arte but not the flamenco ones.

I've tried the EJ 25B...never again. I'm actually big fan of D'addario (the rectified trebles set EJ 30 or something like that, EXP 45 too) but this one had strange sound - metallic, also didn't feel comfy thought it's just me

I've recently tried some carbon strings and was quite suprised how my blanca reacted, so I've decided to oreder diff. kind of carbon sets, and gonna experiment with it a little. I've tried a LOT of kind, but never carbon so far...

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 17 2012 21:17:05

mottallica

RE: La Bella 2001 Flamenco Strings -... (in reply to beno

none of you just use savarez/hannabach?
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 18 2012 10:24:55

gounaro

RE: La Bella 2001 Flamenco Strings -... (in reply to mottallica

quote:

Savarez, have no long life.

Hannabach are expensive.

Spyros
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 18 2012 11:47:59

mottallica

RE: La Bella 2001 Flamenco Strings -... (in reply to gounaro

yup savazrez die fast , but sound awesome .
i usually use savarez/hannabach since i haven't found a chipper decent st
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 18 2012 12:00:47

bursche

quote:

hannabach

I use black Hannabach trebles, they are unbreakable

Visit me on Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCRaGz6Lf-Uz0HxUv-dGQFLQ
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 18 2012 13:04:35

mottallica

RE: La Bella 2001 Flamenco Strings -... (in reply to bursche

what is the difference between clear nylon and black nylon other then the color?
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 18 2012 13:44:42

gounaro

quote:

I just tried the La Bella 2001 black nylon trebles, with the "New Improved Trebles" sticker on them. They really are new and vastly improved. The intonation problems that they were having have been completely rectified. (no pun intended).

The intonation is now dead on. And it seems like maybe while they were at it they tweaked the formula a bit, because apart from the corrected intonation they sound even brighter.

I was also very impressed with the sound of the bass strings. Rich and bright, and well matched to the trebles. All in all it's a really good set of flamenco strings, and inexpensive too.

It's nice to see a company paying attention to our concerns and taking them seriously enough to actually do something about it.

Ramon

Ramon, do you have any photo of the new set?

Spyros
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 18 2012 17:36:19

gbv1158

quote:

My experience : savarez may be good for classical, not for flamenco!
their sound is soft and the time-life is in the normal range (for me)

ciao,
giambattista
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 18 2012 18:35:06

Ramon Amira

quote:

Ramon, do you have any photo of the new set?

No, but there is a photo on a different thread, which is basically the same subject.

http://www.foroflamenco.com/tm.asp?m=192592&p=1&tmode=1&smode=1

Scroll down to the post from La Bella Strings. There is a photo of the 820 Red Nylon strings package, with a circular yellow sticker that says "NEW IMPROVED TREBLES. That's exactly how the new 2001 Flamenco Black Nylon package looks.

Ramon

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 18 2012 18:45:27

Ramon Amira

RE: La Bella 2001 Flamenco Strings -... (in reply to TANúñez

quote:

Tom -

I tried those new D'Adarrio Flamenco strings a while back and I found them terrible.

Ramon

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 18 2012 18:56:56

gounaro

quote:

They're the same as Composites Hard Tension Basses and the trebles are exactly as hard tension Pro Arte's.

Nothing special for me.

Spyros
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 18 2012 19:10:11

rombsix

quote:

intonation problems

A friend of mine got me three sets of those:

http://images.thomann.de/pics/prod/197581.jpg

I strung up my José Ramirez R1 classical guitar (modded to be as flamenco as possible) two days ago with one of those sets - both trebles and basses - and I have to say I agree, unfortunately. The trebles just do NOT tune properly, especially as you go up higher along the fretboard. I thought it was just an issue of them getting settled in, but no matter how hard I try, they just refuse to get tuned properly. The basses are also accurately described here as sort of adding distortion when played just a bit hard, and I hope that improves as they get worn out a bit. I'm going to give the trebles a few more days, and if they keep up with that crappy tuning business, I'm going to take them out and go back to my old trebles (D'addario) which had been on the guitar for about a year.

I guess the three sets my friend got me are going to function more or less as bass strings only. Anyone want me to send them three treble sets that don't tune properly?

Ramzi

http://www.youtube.com/rombsix
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 20 2012 17:27:17

n85ae

This in my opinion is simply not true, I find they last just as long as any
other string, and sound a lot better than most. I use them on three
guitars, and they last long and sound good. String that last longer
are the DeadAddario's, but they sound dead so ... I don't use them.

Jeff

quote:

Savarez, have no long life.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 20 2012 19:06:44

Ramon Amira

RE: La Bella 2001 Flamenco Strings -... (in reply to rombsix

quote:

A friend of mine got me three sets of those:

http://images.thomann.de/pics/prod/197581.jpg

I strung up my José Ramirez R1 classical guitar (modded to be as flamenco as possible) two days ago with one of those sets - both trebles and basses - and I have to say I agree, unfortunately. The trebles just do NOT tune properly, especially as you go up higher along the fretboard. I thought it was just an issue of them getting settled in, but no matter how hard I try, they just refuse to get tuned properly. The basses are also accurately described here as sort of adding distortion when played just a bit hard, and I hope that improves as they get worn out a bit. I'm going to give the trebles a few more days, and if they keep up with that crappy tuning business, I'm going to take them out and go back to my old trebles (D'addario) which had been on the guitar for about a year.

I guess the three sets my friend got me are going to function more or less as bass strings only. Anyone want me to send them three treble sets that don't tune properly?

Ramzi -

The photo shows the old La Bella Black Nylon Flamenco strings. Is that what you're referring to? Everyone - including La Bella - knows the old 2001 black nylon had intonation problems. I started this thread to point out that La Bella - unlike many companies - listened to our concerns, and actually went out and completely reformulated the black nylon flamenco 2001 strings.

As I said in my original post here, I have played what La Bella has billed as the "New Improved Trebles" on the 2001 flamenco strings, and they really are new and improved, and the intonation problems have been completely eliminated.

You need to try the package that has a little round yellow sticker on the label that says "NEW IMPROVED TREBLES." They are extremely good flamenco strings - treble and bass.

Ramon

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 21 2012 3:12:25

rombsix

quote:

Ramzi -

The photo shows the old La Bella Black Nylon Flamenco strings. Is that what you're referring to? Everyone - including La Bella - knows the old 2001 black nylon had intonation problems. I started this thread to point out that La Bella - unlike many companies - listened to our concerns, and actually went out and completely reformulated the black nylon flamenco 2001 strings.

As I said in my original post here, I have played what La Bella has billed as the "New Improved Trebles" on the 2001 flamenco strings, and they really are new and improved, and the intonation problems have been completely eliminated.

You need to try the package that has a little round yellow sticker on the label that says "NEW IMPROVED TREBLES." They are extremely good flamenco strings - treble and bass.

Ramon

Yeah, that is the set I am referring to (the one I showed in the link to the photo). My friend bought me three sets from Singapore about 1 or 2 years ago, and I never used them until a few days ago. I realized that the intonation sucks, and then I ran into this thread which confirmed what I was feeling. I'm going to trash the trebles and stick with the basses only. I can't have anything returned or new sets mailed to me because I live in the Middle East.

Ramzi

http://www.youtube.com/rombsix
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 21 2012 9:12:07

Ramon Amira

I had previously reported on La Bella Improved Black Nylon 2001 Flamenco strings, and found that they were indeed improved – intonation problems gone, and sound great.

I just tried the Improved 820 Red Nylon trebles, and same thing – intonation fine, sound terrific. The 820 are exceptionally bright, even more than the 2001. They are pure bright bright, whereas the 2001 black are a more subtle bright – bright with a softer edge, and slightly more body.

But for anyone who really likes very bright, which can sound good for flamenco, depending on the players' preferences, I would recommend trying the 820 to see. Basses very good too – same as the 2001.

Ramon

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 7 2012 3:06:17

rogeliocan

I finally put on a set of La Bella 2001 Flamenco Strings on my guitar. The set had been collecting dust for a while as my experience with other La Bella strings was quite negative.
And I agree with you, the sound is pretty cool, they do sound different, I would actually describe them has having a flamenco sound. I have just had them on for less than a week so I am not sure if they have a good lifetime or if that sound will remain.
Prominent Critic posted they last a long time, that is good, can't wait to see. I will also try the 820, also from what he posted.

Ole!
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 6 2013 15:52:48

Blondie#2

RE: La Bella 2001 Flamenco Strings -... (in reply to rogeliocan

I've just switched to these (high tension - which actually aint that high compared to other brands) on my Ricardo Sanchis. Initially I didn't like the sound, and the A string actually unravelled (not at the bridge /tuner, but actually mid string). Despite that, I bought two more sets because they really do last for ages - basses on these have outlasted several other strings I've tried, and after settling the sound is very good - very bright. They are also amongst the cheapest strings available here.

Haven't tried them on my Anders blanca yet.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 7 2013 7:52:12

Erik van Goch

quote:

ORIGINAL: TANúñez

I saw that D'Addario Pro Arte now has a flamenco string.

Actually they offer them since at least the mid 80ties, but unlike the EJ25C set you mentioned they didn't advertise it on the package (only after you opened the package you saw it mentioned on the individual sleeves). If i remember well it was the J47 set, maybe with an extra closing letter like your c

Personally i like to believe the flamenco sound has to come from the guitar itself and i wouldn't be surprised at all to hear those so called "flamenco strings" are intended to pimp up lesser guitars rather then to be used on a professional flamenco guitar that already offers those qualities. On the other hand i have to admit my conde never sounded any better than with the 90ties red flamenco trebles of La Bella. Unfortunately dutch music shops stopped offering them over 15 years ago and i'm curious to find out if the ones offered by internet sellers offer the same quality.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 7 2013 14:29:32

rogeliocan

RE: La Bella 2001 Flamenco Strings -... (in reply to Erik van Goch

quote:

Personally i like to believe the flamenco sound has to come from the guitar itself and i wouldn't be surprised at all to hear those so called "flamenco strings" are intended to pimp up lesser guitars rather then to be used on a professional flamenco guitar that already offers those qualities. On the other hand i have to admit my conde never sounded any better than with the 90ties red flamenco trebles of La Bella. Unfortunately dutch music shops stopped offering them over 15 years ago and i'm curious to find out if the ones offered by internet sellers offer the same quality.

After playing the strings a couple more days, that different sound I hear is actually, as others have written, a brighter sound. I like it but I will be moving around strings for sure as I also like the fuller sound of my other strings, at times I feel these sound a bit 'thin', too bright; I guess it depends on the piece I am playing and also that I am really used to rounder sound from my other strings. I like them anyways and will try the 820s although I read they have even more brilliance, maybe too much for my taste... will see. But at least the are intonated!!!!
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 7 2013 14:57:23

rogeliocan

RE: La Bella 2001 Flamenco Strings -... (in reply to rogeliocan

Well that is sad, 11 days in and the bass strings are breaking apart at the frets, just like Savarez. So they don't last very long.

It was a very short but bright life...
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 14 2013 11:52:59

machopicasso

quote:

I had previously reported on La Bella Improved Black Nylon 2001 Flamenco strings, and found that they were indeed improved – intonation problems gone, and sound great.

Regarding the new, improved La Bella Black Nylon 2001 sets: Has anyone had a problem with the D string breaking very quickly at the bridge?

I'm used to wearing out the D string before other strings, but always around the 2nd or 3rd fret, and always after considerable use. In the new sets, however, the D string will break very quickly (e.g. in a matter of days).
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 19 2013 8:33:16

el carbonero

GBV1158,you say savarez not for flamenco?
the alliance are the best for flamenco!

no long life bass,for sure,but it's the best.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 19 2013 10:27:44

Bulerias2005

I've never used the flamenco variety, but I swear by the La Bella 2001 Medium Tension Classical set. They work for absolutely every genre and sound incredible IMO. They also last pretty long, and I play very frequently and not particularly "lightly". Fantastic set. The luthier who made my guitars, Stephen Kakos, also uses this set exclusively.

Daniel Volovets
Jazz, Classical, Flamenco, & Latin-American Guitar
http://www.danielvolovets.com/
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 19 2013 15:29:31

gbv1158

RE: La Bella 2001 Flamenco Strings -... (in reply to el carbonero

quote:

GBV1158,you say savarez not for flamenco?
the alliance are the best for flamenco!

well.....I sometimes use alliance on my classical guitar, and my opinion is that they are suitable for typical classic sound (round and more prolonged) but not for the flamenco......of course that's just my personal impression.

ciao,
giambattista
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 19 2013 16:40:39

maduroflamenco

RE: La Bella 2001 Flamenco Strings -... (in reply to Bulerias2005

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bulerias2005

I've never used the flamenco variety, but I swear by the La Bella 2001 Medium Tension Classical set. They work for absolutely every genre and sound incredible IMO. They also last pretty long, and I play very frequently and not particularly "lightly". Fantastic set. The luthier who made my guitars, Stephen Kakos, also uses this set exclusively.

For a couple of years I worked with the La Bella 2001 Medium Tension Classical sets you mention on my blanca. After changing to another brand a couple of weeks ago, I immediately figured out that the medium tension classical set was sucking most of my playing effort, producing a noticeably lower volume and bland sound. The 2001 Classicals are extremely durable but just didn't work for my guitar or purely-flamenco playing style.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 19 2013 4:32:10
Page:   [1] 2    >   >>
All Forums >>Discussions >>Product Reviews >> Page: [1] 2    >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post