Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

Chocolate died :( :( :(   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: [1]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

Tenshu

Chocolate died :( :( :( 

http://www.deflamenco.com/noticias/verArticuloi.jsp?codigo=FLA%7C1226

-T
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 21 2005 11:34:07

Escribano

RE: Chocolate died :( :( :( (in reply to Tenshu

I managed to see him in London and Jerez. He will be sorely missed.

Foro Flamenco founder and Admin
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 21 2005 13:54:30

Doitsujin

He was great! I saw him at the bienal. Very very outstanding traditional.
Hmm. but I would lie if I would say that I miss him.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 21 2005 16:21:17

Escribano

RE: Chocolate died :( :( :( (in reply to Doitsujin

quote:

Hmm. but I would lie if I would say that I miss him.

I believe it is a loss to flamenco. You never know what you have, until it has gone.

Foro Flamenco founder and Admin
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 21 2005 18:11:57

El Craic

Hello, just caught the the news on deflamenco which is still my homepage even if i don't always get round to reading estela's marvelous reviews or much else these days :-)

There are many flamenco artists I may never get to see, but I caught Chocolate in Jerez with a few friends who had never seen flamenco before and they were mesmerised by his siguiriyas. It is a significant loss.

Simon, hello and sorry for absence. Hope weather is hot enough for you. I just got a week in Galicia and it was scorching, despite a negative prediction from Robin. So I thought of you shrivelling up like a sun-dried tomato down there.

You can't stop the waves but you can learn to surf
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 21 2005 18:23:13

Kate

RE: Chocolate died :( :( :( (in reply to El Craic

Hey Emma,

www.deflamenco is my home page as well and the Chocolate tribute says it all, the end of an era for cante. I was lucky to see him sing a few times, in fact one of my first cante concerts was Chocolate.

As for the Spanish weather I just got back from dropping some people at Granada airport and it was 47 degrees according to one sign on the road. Life lived in a sauna !!

Kate

Emilio Maya Temple
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000CA6OBC
http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/emiliomaya
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 21 2005 18:46:13

Florian

The other guitarist in our group was in Spain about 8 years ago, and he was on the train somewhere , apparently he noticed Chocolate and he could hardly contain his excitement
he said he was so close he overheard the conversation Chocolate was having with a woman he just meet on the train.

they were making chit chat when the woman asked Chocolate what he does for work, he said he was a flamenco singer apparently she didnt flinch a muscle she was like " Oh cool.
Neither did he, he was very humble about it ..

(the story sounded better in my head )
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 21 2005 19:04:56

Miguel de Maria

I met Chocolate a couple of years ago...it was in Moguer, near Huelva. I thought it was a big deal, kind of like a celebrity. He was calm and he _may_ have nodded when we were introduced to him. Eduardo Rebollar, who was my teacher there, was his accompaniast. They had a bit of a rough time of it, and Eduardo claimed it was Chocolate who messed up :).
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 22 2005 3:58:34

Richard Jernigan

Living in Palo Alto in the late '80s, I tried to explain to my girlfriend that the Gypsy Kings, while excellent musicians and entertainers, weren't exactly what most andalucians would call flamenco.

She had grown up in Japan, raised as a proper young lady with the correct tennis, tea ceremony, flower arranging, ballet and piano teachers. Her father was a great fan of classical music. As a girl she was regularly taken to concerts. She spoke good castellano, learned at Holy Cross High School in Tokyo from a Spanish woman, and practiced on family vacations to Acapulco.

"But my friend P___ says the Gypsy Kings are flamenco?"

P___ was a pro jazz sax player, so his musical opinion outranked mine as a mere amateur flamenco guitarist--though P___had asked me to play a time or two when he came over to the house.

A few months later a Spanish dance troupe came to San Francisco. My girlfriend showed me the advance in the Chronicle. "Is this what the andaluces would call flamenco?"

Chocolate's name was on the list. I had heard him four or five times in Spain. Not having seen the principals in the show, nor mentioning Chocolate, I said, "It might be flamenco."

"Would you like to go?"

In other words, "We are going."

The show started with some good professional dance numbers accompanied by two excellent guitarists. The dance lighting dimmed, a spot picked up Chocolate as he came forward. Accompanied by a single guitarist, his right hand exended, he launched into Frijones' solea.

My girlfriend's eyes got big. She concentrated on the singing. During a guitar falseta she tugged on my sleeve, leaned close and whispered in my ear, "My God, who is that?"

"Chocolate."

"What is he doing?"

"Flamenco."

RNJ
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 29 2005 4:07:56
Page:   [1]
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread