Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

a guitar shop in Barcelona   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>Lutherie >> Page: [1]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

mottallica

a guitar shop in Barcelona 

hello everyone
i've been playing guitar for 10 years now (mainly electric - blues,rock,metal etc.) and just started playing flamenco after just thinking its impossible but now after i play the paco pena santuario solea after a month of playing flamenco i think im on the right path.

to make a long story shorter , im going to Barcelona next month to see a FCB match and i want to take advantage of being in Spain and get a better guitar for what i can spend since the price is substantially higher here then in Spain.

are there any good guitar shops in Barcelona? or if i really want to get a good guitar price i should just look in Andalusia?
( i don't really have much time in spain)

i plan on spending about 600-700 euros . i know of course i wont get a conde guitar but as far as i know that should get me a decent guitar

any help on where to look for in barcelona?
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 25 2012 23:07:40

malakka

RE: a guitar shop in Barcelona (in reply to mottallica

Casa Luthier - http://www.casaluthier.com/
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 26 2012 18:40:32

mottallica

RE: a guitar shop in Barcelona (in reply to malakka

thank's :)
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 26 2012 22:19:06

Jackjack

Also try Musical Emporium (La Rambla 129, Barcelona 08002; nearly at the end of Las Ramblas).

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 29 2012 4:55:16

Jackjack

Try Casa Par Ramon (Carme 8, Barcelona 08001; at the junction between c/Carme and Las Ramblas). They made their own instruments. I bought a negra there some years ago. Good value for the money.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 29 2012 4:58:40

Ed Sorinas

All guitar shops in Barcelona are heavily tourist oriented.
Perhaps Casa Luthier could the only decent one but they deal with classical stuff mainly, I would not spend my money there either.
Beware of this:
- Musical Emporium is a nice old shop (full of cheap instruments), take a look but you'll see what I mean. Buy a cheap uke or a mouth harp, not much else.
- Casa Parramon specializes in violins and so on, they do not make guitars themselves: they buy average middle priced guitars from factories in Valencia and put their stamp on them. By the way, some lower priced guitars from big names in Madrid do the same.
- avoid streets near Las Ramblas like the plague: they deal with electric guitar stuff. They have some classicals or flamenco guitars but they're not very helpful, don't know much about them and in some places you will not be able to try any guitar when they label you as a "tourist". (Unfortunately I know all this too well as I had to work in one of them for several years...).
Go to Granada if you have big bucks, otherwise you can have several middle-prices factory made guitars which fit your budget. Check these brands in you price range:
- Alhambra (they make both classical and flamenco, different prices: the higher the number, the more expensive the guitar) - made in Valencia
- Camps (made in a little factory, some of them are not very conventional: they even have truss rods!) - made in Girona (north of Barcelona)
- Prudencio Sáez (Guisama): nice for the money, cutaway models, good electronics installed in certain modesl if you need them - made in Valencia
- some other brands in Valencia are OK, but not very consistent in their quality: Raimundo, Aparicio... all factory made in Valencia.
- some small manufacturers make "Concert Models" (big bucks, no big deal on most of them) but they have "Studio Models" too: these are nice, decent, not very expensive guitars aimed at beginners. An old guy called "Farré" (Vilanova) is now nearly retired, but maybe you can find some studio model for some 400-500 euros. Don't pay more than this.
Be extremely careful when you play ANY instrument (after asking for their permission, of course:): speak some words in crappy Spanish and they'll treat you better, smile, be aware of buckle marks, nail marks, imaginary paranoid marks that most sellers think they will find in their "precious" polyester finished guitars after you have played them (just because you're a tourist, don't forget this...
In your price range you could get solid top, back and sides, do not expect the highest quality woods though. Finishes will be poly on any of them.
There are some small makers around Barcelona but their guitars are more expensive and they don't deal with Barcelona shops (for a reason...)
If you cannot find anything that makes you fall in love, do not buy just because you're in Spain and all that romantic hype (I'm Spanish, by the way): save a little bit more, contact a maker and buy a handmade instrument... wherever. There are excellent guitarmakers anywhere now, and if you go to Granada you'll find out that many of them are not Spanish anyway. So...
Enjoy football and -if you drink- bad beer at huge prices, Barcelona has nothing else to offer you appart from the sun (which is still for free, as of today) and some crowded dirty beaches. Most people who used to live in Barcelona live on the outskirts, you will mostly find foreigners now ("tourists": the rich ones, who spend their hard-earned money on sub-standard products of any kind; and immigrants from South-America, Eastern Europe and Africa: the ones who work like slaves for those tourists). Welcome to Barcelona.
My advice: go north (next to France, Cadaqués... Dalí used to live there) and enjoy good meals, good beaches, beutiful sights. Or go south, before Valencia (Delta de l'Ebre, great authentic paellas)
Wow, what a rant for my first post!!!
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 29 2012 13:53:35

mottallica

RE: a guitar shop in Barcelona (in reply to Ed Sorinas

wow dude thanks a lot
now im abit uncertain about what shuold i do lol
the reason i want to buy a guitar in barcelona is not the romantic idea but the pric
lets put the saez guitar as an example - the saez 22 which cost in casa luthier 585 euro costs back here about 1000 euro? get my point?
i still need guidane though if you could help me further i'd appriciate
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 29 2012 21:48:31

johnguitar

Ed,

I agree with most of what you say and I think it needed to be said. Casa Luthier does not have any good flamenco guitars but for classicals I often send people there. My experience as a maker has been very good with them. Would you like to share your reasons for "I would not spend my money there".

thanks,

John Ray
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 30 2012 5:45:55

Ed Sorinas

Hi John,
I wanted to say "I would not spend my money there" if I were looking for a flamenco guitar: they just don't have many of them in stock, that's all. I guess this guy wanted to try several middle-priced guitars, Casa Luthier don't specialize in flamenco as far as I know. They have excellent classicals -yours among them- and at least they're nice to people (tourists or non-tourists) so if someone looks for a classical it's a decent place, as I said.

However, even good shops have to sell anything to survive these days, and you notice that when you walk in: they may have beautiful handcrafted instruments but it's quite strange when you noitce they have middle-priced (and lower-priced) stuff on the walls that is not a very good sign, in my opinion: they have cheap steel-string guitars (eastern imported guitars) and I have even seen some banjos (?!), they may sell some of these "instruments" often (otherwise they would not have them), I'm not a snob of any kind -some cheap guitars are great- but this kind of mixture makes this shop a little strange (they used to offer good quality classical guitars only).

So, maybe that's just me but even if I wanted a good professional classical (like yours) I might try several of them there, but I would prefer to contact the maker and order directly from him/her, even if I have to wait. But that's just my option. The sellers at Casa Luthier may be nice but when I once talked to them -I just buy some books and strings from time to time- I asked their opinion about a certain maker and all they had to say was "We don't sell many of his guitars..." with a face that made you wonder why they hade them in stock (or why they said this to potential customers like me).

Anyway, a shop is a business and having a guitar shop nowadays is better than not having any kind of shop, at least good guitarmakers have a showroom to potential customers. Plus, I don't want to say bad things about anyone, I just report what I've found in places around here.

To mottallica: well, you can save some money (shipping cost and taxes, you're right: it's the same as if I buy something from the US) but just beware of what you buy (many cheap guitars are very well-disguised plywood, no solid woods) and let your ears be the guide. Bear in mind: when you change the strings (different brand), you may notice a change; if you live in a different climate (humidity and so on) your guitar will adapt to that; common sense, there's no better guide than that.

(EDIT: By the way, Casa Luthier specializes in classical -not flamenco- because the same owners also have a classical music school next door and on the same street (same logo, you'll notice it): it's aimed at preparing young kids (mostly) for official music exams -very "institutionalized" teaching, old school- and, as we all know, there's no real exam for "duende" and flamenco!!!)
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 30 2012 12:08:43

mottallica

thanks ED.

are there any luthier workshops in barcelona where the luthier sells studio models for my price range that you can recommend ?

and is there a city close to barcelona that might be better to look in for a guitar?
(close will be 2 hours drive or less ^^ )
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 30 2012 13:05:40

beno

Hi Ed,

What's Your opinion about flamenco guitar schools in Barcelona?
Do You recommend any of them? Do they speak english?
Rafael Canizares?

http://www.lasonanta.es/index.php/english/2008072113/Faqs/Rafael-Canizares.html

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 30 2012 13:23:48

mottallica

(/quote) thanks ED.

are there any luthier workshops in barcelona where the luthier sells studio models for my price range that you can recommend ?

and is there a city close to barcelona that might be better to look in for a guitar?
(close will be 2 hours drive or less ^^ )(quote/)

and another thing , is the prudencio saez and all those guitars made in factorys any good for their prices? or is buying one just a waste of money
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 30 2012 14:15:49

mottallica

sorry for bringing this subject up again, i really need help with this
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 31 2012 17:31:56

Morante

Ask in the tourist office for directions of local guitarros.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 31 2012 22:31:10

keith

mottallica--in one of your posts you mentioned the cost of a guitar "back here" and where you live may figure in the price if you have to pay any taxes/duty. additionally, if you are flying to spain you may have to pay to bring the guitar back on the plane or have the guitar shipped to your home. just something to think about.

not to trying to be a buzz kill here but i have read over the years posts in several forums of people wanting to go to spain to find that great guitar hanging on the wall in some shop with a price tag that makes it a great find. unfortunately most of the people who have experience in this area say the same thing--be prepared for lots of factory guitars with either the factory label (e.g., alhambra) or the shop's name (e.g., bellido) in a factory built guitar. i mention these names as i once owned a "bellido" that was a alhambra 7fc but had a bellido label and stamp. i bought the guitar used (it was a good guitar) but i wonder how much the price was jacked up at the point of the original sale with the "bellido" label slapped inside rather than the alhambra label.

as to factory guitars--in your price range most are acceptable for someone getting into flamenco but there is a lot of variability. a few might be good, many will be less than good. maybe a few will be great.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 1 2012 9:29:59

mottallica

RE: a guitar shop in Barcelona (in reply to keith

quote:

ry guitars--in your price range most are acceptable for someone getting into flamenco but there is a lot of variability. a few might be good, many will be less than good. maybe a few will be great.

i know about taxes but bare in mind, 1)not beeing spanish im not supposed to pay VAT so i'm getting some of it back when i leave spain
2)when i go back i have only 15% tax to pay which is basicly what i get back from the VAT refund

at the end of the day im paying abot 600 euros for a seaz 22 for example where else in shops here it cost about 1150 euros
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 1 2012 11:42:27

keith

mottallica--i saw a saez 22 at my spanish guitar website for 521 euros/$695. the mark-up to 1150 euros seems to be a lot. yikes! good luck with your search in barcelona.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 1 2012 12:02:06

mottallica

RE: a guitar shop in Barcelona (in reply to keith

I'm from israel, everything is expensive here unfortunately. funnily though , if you have any interest in electric guitars, there's a distributor fight between the 2 PRS distributors here so now PRS guitars cost here less then in the USA
but anything is usually high because we have high tax rate in order to fund security.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 1 2012 14:05:35

tele

RE: a guitar shop in Barcelona (in reply to malakka

quote:

ORIGINAL: malakka

Casa Luthier - http://www.casaluthier.com/

I have heard that they sell good tuners. But I couldnt find any on the website... Has anyone dealt with them and do they ship internationally?

OK I contacted them and they have sloanes for 290 eur and some alessi tuners, just if someones interested

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 3 2013 16:08:05

HolyEvil

quote:

ORIGINAL: mottallica

but anything is usually high because we have high tax rate in order to fund security.

but also the highest quality of living in the middle east.
But security is very important =)

Have you tried going to other countries in europe? would it be cheaper to fly over and get a guitar and fly back?

here in australia, it's cheaper to fly to the USA and get some PC suites from Adobe and fly back than buying it locally.

cheers
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 3 2013 21:46:31

rojarosguitar

This is a late update of the OT through my newest experiences in Barcelona.

I have spent a few days last week in Barcelona and took the chance to see what I can find in terms of guitar shops there.

1. Llobet on Rambla is selling out and liquidating the shop. I have been there before more then 31 years ago and it seems they haven't stood the test of time... If it is not the usual rag shop trick: "total sales, shop liquidation..."

2. Casa Luthier: great museum of classical and flamenco guitars of famous maker. Only to see, no touching or playing. Some very interesting contemporary guitars.

I tried only a few flamencas, one great blanca by John Ray and one also very good blanca by René Baarslag; both guitars were truely remarkable; John Ray very traditional light blanca with the dry percussive sound; the Baarslag sounded almost like a negra...

There was a friendly young staff member who either didn't knew much or thought I'm completely dumb. A little dialogue: "Me: What strings does John Ray put onto his guitars? A: I will ask my boss". Comes back: "There are many different strings, but these are nylon strings..." LOL. The other two of the staff, including the one who was designated as the boss, were totally uninterested to even show a sign of welcome, totally unfriendly, almost inimical ... very strange for a shop...

Anyway, most likely for the greatest selection of guitars this seems to be the best address - though not up to the feel of an international metropolitan city ...

3. Casa Parramon c/Carme 8: 'Specialized' mainly in bowed instruments, but they have also classical and flamenco guitars; I asked there, whether they have a Antonio Mateu guitar (one of the great Barcelona makers) there. Answer: there are thousands of makers, we cant have everything in stock ... LOL. They were defending themselves against an attack that has not been mounted.

After these strange experiences I really lost my interest in seeing further shops in Barcelona. I really enjoyed being there, but had the impression, the salespeople in music shops have some peculiar problem I have never encountered anyplace else in the world. Maybe I have changed so much and became a person that is difficult to be sympathetic with???

Music is a big continent with different lascapes and corners. Some of them I do visit frequently, some from time to time and some I know from hearsay only ...

A good musical instrument is one that inspires one to express as free as possible
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 1 2014 22:00:46

Ricardo

RE: a guitar shop in Barcelona (in reply to rojarosguitar

I was under the impression "flamenco guitars for sale dot net" was located in barcelona. They were the ones that had tomatito and antonio rey personal guitars for sale, tons of cheap conde's and other vintage makes at low prices. Do they not have a public shop to visit?
EDIT, looks like they are in Terrassa.

http://www.flamencoguitarsforsale.net/en/About.html

CD's and transcriptions available here:
www.ricardomarlow.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 2 2014 14:20:49

johnguitar

RE: a guitar shop in Barcelona (in reply to rojarosguitar

Hello Robert,

I am glad you liked my guitar and I am sorry about your experience in Barcelona. Although I imagine the answer is not very relevant now I usually use D'addario normal tension on a guitar like the one you tried. However, at Casa Luthier they very often prefer to change the strings to another brand. Sometimes Alliance New Cristal. I hope to see you one day here in Granada.

John Ray
https://www.johnguitar.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 2 2014 19:55:47

rojarosguitar

RE: a guitar shop in Barcelona (in reply to Ricardo

They are located a bit outside and I didn't have the time to go there. I'm sure that would be the address #1 for flamencas in Barcelona...

Music is a big continent with different lascapes and corners. Some of them I do visit frequently, some from time to time and some I know from hearsay only ...

A good musical instrument is one that inspires one to express as free as possible
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 2 2014 20:55:34

rojarosguitar

RE: a guitar shop in Barcelona (in reply to johnguitar

I really did like it, and I'm sure, if I visit Granada, I'll try to come around and see you... They told me I was the first person to try your guitar. The strings were nylon, not carbon, and feelwise I thought it could be d'Addario normal tension...

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 2 2014 20:58:00

orsonw

RE: a guitar shop in Barcelona (in reply to Ricardo

quote:

I was under the impression "flamenco guitars for sale dot net" was located in barcelona. They were the ones that had tomatito and antonio rey personal guitars for sale, tons of cheap conde's and other vintage makes at low prices. Do they not have a public shop to visit?
EDIT, looks like they are in Terrassa.

http://www.flamencoguitarsforsale.net/en/About.html

They don't keep the higher end guitars in their public shop but it's easy to arrange viewing. Just contact Jordi, in my experience he is very easy to deal with, really knows flamenco guitars and sells at a fair price. He is well connected in flamenco circles, he sells to the professionals and also gets ex-professional guitars for sale.

quote:

I'm sure that would be the address #1 for flamencas in Barcelona...
For me the best flamenco guitar dealer in the world. (Terrassa takes about 40 minutes by train from central Barcelona.)
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 2 2014 21:57:34

rojarosguitar

RE: a guitar shop in Barcelona (in reply to orsonw

that's good to know about that "flamenco guitars for sale net"... I thought they have good instruments but wasn't sure how reliable they are, because it's difficult to tell just from looking at a web site...

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 3 2014 15:27:28

eitanfar

I realize that it's way too late to give you any useful information regarding your question, but I only recently joined the foro, so ...

Anyway, my point is this:
I'm from Israel too. I also was interested in the Prudencio Saez 22, and found it to be extremely expensive in Israel. I finally bought it from the guitarfromspain.com website.

It costs there about 460 euros (90 less than the cheapest shop I could find it in Spain !!!), but there's a shipping fee of 150 euros (notice that if you buy more than one guitar the shipping charge doesn't go up !). That's a total of 610 euros. Add to that the Israeli VAT of 18% and you get the guitar delivered to your door for 3500 ILS.

I'm really really happy with the guitar, and think that for my level of playing (advanced beginner maybe ?) it's absolutely enough. I think that it would do the job for me for many years to come.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 5 2014 5:22:15

retroriff

Hello! You will find the biggest Alhambra Guitars catalogue in Spain at Fanatic Guitars. It is the best guitar shop in Barcelona. Ask them if you are looking a custom model.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 20 2017 11:02:15
Page:   [1]
All Forums >>Discussions >>Lutherie >> Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post