Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

Body depth of Yamaha CG172SF   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>Product Reviews >> Page: [1]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

LBrandt

Body depth of Yamaha CG172SF 

Hello,

I just had the opportunity to check out a Yamaha CG172SF at Guitar Center. I liked the guitar ok (but didn't buy it), but I was surprised at the fact that the body depth (at the neck connection) was 3 3/4 inches. That depth is the same as the depth on 2 of my other classical guitars, but Ramon had said (in another post) that the body depth of the CG172SF was less than that of the CG171SF. If that's true, then the CG171SF must have had a larger body depth than most classical guitars, and that suprises me, since I would have expected a flamenco guitar to have a shallower body depth.

Louis.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 23 2012 12:05:45

GuitarVlog

RE: Body depth of Yamaha CG172SF (in reply to LBrandt

I have the CG171SF. Its body depth is the same as my classical guitars. You could describe it as their classical guitar design modified to have cypress B/S, a lower bridge, lower action, golpeadors, and full fan bracing.

What I liked most about the CG171SF is that they used the same (and better) European spruce tops that were found on the discontinued CG201S and the CG171S.

Upgraded Yamaha CG171SF
The Guitar Student Journal
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 23 2012 14:57:16

LBrandt

RE: Body depth of Yamaha CG172SF (in reply to GuitarVlog

You're saying that the CG171SF has the same depth as your classical guitars, and when I measured the depth of the CG172SF, I found that it also has the same depth as my classical guitars.

But Ramon said that the CG172SF has a thinner body than the CG171SF. It sounds to me as if they are both the same size, about 3 3/4 inches at the point where the body meets the neck.

I just thought that the 172 would be thinner than the 171, based on what Ramon said, but it sounds like they're both the same.

But in general, aren't flamenco guitars typically thinner in depth than classical guitars?

Louis
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 23 2012 15:51:26

GuitarVlog

RE: Body depth of Yamaha CG172SF (in reply to LBrandt

quote:

ORIGINAL: LBrandt
But in general, aren't flamenco guitars typically thinner in depth than classical guitars?

Yes but Yamaha didn't build the CG171SF (nor apparently the CG172SF) that way. They just changed used cypress laminates for the B/S, changed the bracing to full fan, used a lower bridge, lowered the action, and added the golpeadors.

My Prudencio Saez flamenca negra has a thinner body depth than all of my guitars.

Upgraded Yamaha CG171SF
The Guitar Student Journal
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 7 2012 15:07:03
Page:   [1]
All Forums >>Discussions >>Product Reviews >> Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll