Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

RE: French Polishing   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>Lutherie >> Page: <<   <   1 [2] 3    >   >>
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

Anders Eliasson

RE: French Polishing (in reply to Anders Eliasson

I think one of the most interesting things is this with the oil. Oil is used in order to be able to move the pad around for as long time as possible. More oil, more time. The back side of oil. Especially thick one is that it stays on the guitar after polishing and it has to be removed. If not, you cant really see what you are doing.
I polish the neck without oil but I havent tried polishing the plates or sides without oil. I cant imagine that the sessions can be very long without oil on the pad. But I hope that some of you non oilers will tell me.
The oil I use is Parrafin oil and it works a lot better for me (thats very personal I know) than olive oil or camelia oil, which was what I used before. It evaporates and leaves the guitar clean. No need for cleaning off with alcohol.

Blog: http://news-from-the-workshop.blogspot.com/
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 16 2012 15:59:27

Sean

Good to know, I was thinking of trying paraffin oil for some time after watching the Michael Thames Youtube video as I'm not 100% happy with olive oil.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 16 2012 22:07:38

krichards

RE: French Polishing (in reply to jshelton5040

quote:

the sanding dust is very bad for the nose and lungs and it's hard to keep your spray gun clean

I use a brush!
I don't make much dust so I haven't had a problem.

Kevin Richards

http://www.facebook.com/#!/kevin.richards.1048554
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 17 2012 7:28:17

Anders Eliasson

Sean, Parrafin oil works differently from olive oil. You use more oil and the lubricating effect disappears faster. Its just different. Try on a piece of scrap or on the back of a guitar first. The advantage IMHO is that there´s no oil left on the guitar. Thats a BIG advantage IMO

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 17 2012 8:13:12

Shawn Brock

Okay, I don't want to stick my nose in and disrupt the thread here, but I'm always trying to learn more about the luthier's ways...

1: It seems that across the board your spending about 14/15 days on FP, and this covers the stages of polishing, drying/ curing and buffing. Please correct me if I'm wrong...

2: I have seen guitars which were undergoing FP but the guitar didn't yet have the bridge on it. Is this normal? Or is it one of those things that is based on opinion? It seems like you wouldn't want FP between the bridge and the top, although you could always mask that area off and not apply finish there I guess.

I know a lot of steel string builders and have seen those guitars come to life. Lots of times they will even do most of the guitar's setup before finishing. They will string it up "in the white", set it up and let you play it... I understand that you want to wait for FP to harden before applying the tap plate and such, but does the guitar still need days of work after the finish is buffed before you send it to its new owner?

As a clumsy player, I would think that you would want to do as much work as you could before finishing, just to minimize the risk of scratching or otherwise harming the finish. I can understand that you may not want to string it up before applying the finish, but it seems that you would get your frets pretty much level and things of that nature.

Thanks as always, and as I said, I didn't want to disrupt the flow of things. I just had those questions weighing on my mind for the last few days...
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 17 2012 16:03:19

Andy Culpepper

Anders, good tip on the parrafin oil... I use olive oil and it is annoying how it stays on the guitar.

Shawn, 14-15 days is certainly doable for a FP finish but I prefer to take about 3 weeks from beginning to putting the golpeador on. Of course 95% of that is unattended. I only spend about 30-45 minutes a day putting shellac on the guitar during the "bodying" process. And then about 5 hours for the sanding and final polish.
Some makers prefer to polish the soundboard without the bridge on and then scrape away the finish where the bridge will be glued, which has some obvious benefits because you don't have to work around the bridge. I'm like you where I prefer to have all the woodworking and gluing done before I put the finish on, and finish the guitar as a whole.
I always string my guitars up before finish to do final adjustments to tone and neck profile. Sometimes they are 100% perfect when I string them up and I happily go on to finishing, and sometimes they need a little bit of sanding/scraping here and there to bring out the voice I want. At this stage I get the setup most of the way there, but I always check the frets again and get the setup perfect after the guitar is totally finished (and preferably strung up for a few days).

Andy Culpepper, luthier
http://www.andyculpepper.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 17 2012 16:47:20

constructordeguitarras

Hi, Anders. I am interested in sharing. I seem to polish very much the way you do. I even keep my pumice in a salt shaker that looks exactly like yours. But I use olive oil and I have no problem removing it because it comes off when using the automobile abrasive polish. No need for alcohol wiping. I use Bolivian rosewood bindings, bridges, and headplates, and it needs no filling--just the Spanish cedar neck. I use cyanoacrylate to fill wormholes in the neck. My french polishing seems to be very dependent on the season. Although I keep my shop at constant humidity, the temperature varies, and thus does the drying time. Sometimes I hang guitars in a small room with a space heater, but prefer not to because they get too dry and the fingerboard shrinks and the fret ends stick out until it rehydrates. So I have had the best and fastest results in the summer.

Ethan Deutsch
www.edluthier.com
www.facebook.com/ethandeutschguitars
www.youtube.com/marioamayaflamenco
I always have flamenco guitars available for sale.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 19 2012 4:42:38

flamencositar

Awesome stuff gents!! I wished I read this post earlier...

Great knowledge share sir!

Still the body, quiet the mind, free the soul
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 20 2012 17:47:16

Flamingrae

quote:

The oil I use is Parrafin oil and it works a lot better for me

I think - although not sure, that this is the same as what is called "white oil" ??? This is what I've been using and although I'm a novice on this, it seem to be working. I put a layer on then do what some people called "gassing off" This is not the same as breaking wind, so dont get confused. Basically just wiping the surface to remove any excess oil - then leave. Never tried olive oil - probably wont now after reading, but with anything - method and approach will give results. Really enjoyed this thread. Thanks everyone.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 31 2012 2:03:16

Jeff Highland

Parrafin oil is also known as mineral oil and is sold here as "baby oil"
I have been using it for about 6months and agree with Anders that it works better than olive.
Don't know about "white oil"
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 31 2012 2:59:14

estebanana

I'll tell you guys a secret. There are many of us who use a swatch of cloth and lay the shellac down without oil. If you have the right touch, cut of shellac and cloth material it will go on like butter. You can body the whole thing quite smoothly without a drop of oil. Then go to oil and pad on some glaze layers, level, buff out, done. A combination of old, old ideas and modern materials make it possible. The answers are out there in the auto body finishing world.

https://www.stephenfaulkguitars.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 31 2012 4:30:45

estebanana

RE: French Polishing (in reply to Jeff Highland

quote:

Parrafin oil is also known as mineral oil and is sold here as "baby oil"
I have been using it for about 6months and agree with Anders that it works better than olive.
Don't know about "white oil"

Mineral oil is also sold scentless as a Laxitive! Whoo hoo, baby oil stinks. Walnut oil is wonderful too.

Olive oil is not a drying oil, but walnut oil is. So if you get walnut oil under the shellac it will dry. Mineral oil you have to chase out.

There is also a school of thought where you load shellac and walnut oil together, or just walnut oil and alcohol in your first coats to deepen the initial penetration into the wood. later the walnut oil will dry in the wood. I've seen and done a bit of this work, it can be stunning. The results are a very deep, very clear shellac film. It can be hypnotically deep and reflective on some top woods.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 31 2012 4:36:39

Anders Eliasson

RE: French Polishing (in reply to constructordeguitarras

quote:

My french polishing seems to be very dependent on the season. Although I keep my shop at constant humidity, the temperature varies, and thus does the drying time.

So do I.
I have 2 guitars waiting to be polished, but its to hot right now (27 - 28celcius) and I have to run a ventilator in order to be in the workshop. It all dries to fast. So wait wait wait..... Do something else, do something else.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 31 2012 7:32:48

Dave K

quote:

So wait wait wait..... Do something else, do something else.

Work on that "fiddle"
Cheers,
Dave

Avise La Fin
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 1 2012 4:35:02

prd1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Anders Eliasson

I had some (small) hopes that this thread would have turned into an interesting discussion about French polish. What I wrote was meant to be an intro to an open dialogue.
But it seems that other French polishers are not interested in sharing? or is my intro to long/personal/or what ever.

Hi Anders,

I visited Steven Edens workshop a couple of weeks ago, he has a few re-polishing jobs on the go - fantastic quality work...Steven - can you help here?

Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who could not hear the music - Angela Monet
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 1 2012 16:40:11

constructordeguitarras

I want to share more about french polishing, but I can't do it all in one posting. By the way, Do the padded vise jaws you are using not mar the finish on the neck of the guitar you are finishing?

I use about a one pound cut for everything. The seal or spit coat can be brushed on, but then it will raise the grain. I find that if it is padded on--which I do without oil to avoid getting oil into the wood--then I can just keep going with no sanding necessary right after it. For pads I have tried many things--T-shirt fabric with wool or cotton wool inside, linen outer layer, silk outer layer--and I have found that a simple wad of #50 cheese cloth works best. As I've mentioned, I use olive oil and find that the oil is automatically removed at the end when I use automobile abrasive polish.

After sealing everything, I fill the pores in the neck using pumice and shellac without oil. Then I sand the neck lightly with 400 grit.

I polish the back, maybe for 30 to 60 minutes.

Then I do the sides by standing the guitar on end and holding it by the neck with my left hand, polishing with my right between the heel and the widest part of the lower bout. I also polish the heel in this step. I do this, switching back and forth between each side (rib) for maybe 30 minutes. Mostly I use small circular strokes, occasionally doing long "straight" strokes on the 4 long edges (corners).

Next, I lay the guitar on its belly and do the tail, between the tail and the widest parts of the lower bout, with my left hand on the back holding the guitar down.

Now I turn the guitar around and do the neck and the back of the head for maybe 30 minutes, holding the guitar by the sides of the head for the most part, sometimes leaning on the back, with the belly down. Then I hang it up to dry for at least several hours.

After the back is dry, I do the soundboard, with the bridge in place. I sealed the bridge before I glued it on, but it still needs more polishing. I have no problem polishing around and over the bridge, and up to the edges of the fingerboard, using a small pad, maybe an inch in diameter--but they flatten out nicely like a pancake if there is not too much fabric, and this makes it easy to run up to the edges of the bridge and fingerboard. Sometimes I make "straight" strokes from the bottom edge of the soundhole, around the soundhole and along the fingerboard edge, to the top of the soundboard, which assures that shellac gets on the fingerboard edge from the edge of the pad. And sometimes I make long strokes around the corner between the sides and soundboard. The long strokes make sure there is finish on the corner and also that there are not drips or globs built up there. I work the soundboard for 30 to 60 minutes.

Then I do the face of the head and the sides and crown of the head, alternating between each of these areas for about 15 minutes.

I let the guitar dry overnight. When dry the next day, the finish may appear to have tiny bumps in it. This may be due to bits of the fabric from the pad wearing off and getting into the finish. If present, I sand them lightly with 600 grit using oil as a lubricant. I have found that whenever sanding shellac it is important to use oil as a lubricant. This keeps the powder that is formed from sticking to the surface and making a cloudy appearance. Sometimes naphtha (mineral spirits, paint thinner) has made this worse, although it seemed like a good idea because it is much thinner than olive oil.

The next day I do the same thing and keep going on in this way until enough shellac has been applied, usually a week or two. Because the shellac continues to shrink for a long time it is easy to be fooled into thinking that there is enough when there isn't.

It is very important to let it dry enough, 2-3 days at least, before the final buffing or sanding/buffing. Depending on what kind of a finish you want you could level with 600, 1000, 1200, 1500, and 2000 grit sandpapers and then buff with automotive abrasive "scratch remover" polishing compounds, or you could use 1200 grit and then apply a bit more shellac and then buff, like Andy does. Sometimes I like some texture to my finish--it shows that it is hand made. Many people want a perfect finish that looks like it was sprayed on. It's kind of neat that if there is a texture, it shrinks as the shellac shrinks over time and looks more and more refined.

A few spots will have to be finished by brush: some inside corner details on the crown of the head, the inside corner between the heel and the side (sometimes), and the valley of the bridge.

Ethan Deutsch
www.edluthier.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 4 2012 21:20:49

Anders Eliasson

As you said yourself, there are a lot of similarties in the way we things. One that is different is the porefilling. You use shellack and pumice, whereas I use alcohol and pumice. I´ve done both, but I find that with shellack, it gets to messy and you get to much shellack into the pores. This shellack dries and schrinks very slowly and after some years, the pores kind of pops out (or better said in).

With respect of oil or no oil in the process, what I´ve been taught by pro polishers is that the oil helps the crosslinking process of the finish. When using oil, you can rub harder and for a longer time. This does that you dissolve the shellack that is already there and after a lot of layers, you get one crosslinked layer of shellack and that this layer is harder and stronger than a shellack finish that has not been applied this way.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 6 2012 10:17:10

constructordeguitarras

quote:

oil helps the crosslinking process of the finish. When using oil, you can rub harder and for a longer time. This does that you dissolve the shellack that is already there and after a lot of layers, you get one crosslinked layer of shellack and that this layer is harder and stronger than a shellack finish that has not been applied this way.

I wonder if this is true. We have been handed information such as, "when cooking spaghetti always add salt to the water just before it comes to a boil." I heard this most of my life. Just recently cooks seem to have realized that it makes no difference if you add the salt when the water is cold; you still end up with salty boiling water. A lot of things are like this.

I have found from my experience french polishing guitar sides (ribs) the way I do that I get better results more easily on the tail end, where I am polishing a side that is vertical to the bench (hanging over the edge of the bench) compared to the rest of the side which I polish with the guitar standing up on end while I hold it by the neck. Because of gravity, I am pushing very hard when I do the latter, whereas when I do the tail I am pushing very lightly. And as a chemist (former) I get the impression that pressure should not really make a difference; shellac sticks to shellac and not to oil. And it shrinks as it dries; I don't think you can shrink it by pressing on it. Maybe it's true. My point is we shouldn't believe everything we're told--except on this Foro, of course!

Ethan Deutsch
www.edluthier.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 6 2012 19:06:49

Jeff Highland

After a tip from someone, cant remember who, I have been using microfibre cleaning cloth for pad covers.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 6 2012 22:01:09

Blair Russell

What type of walnut oil is suitable for french polish? The stuff for food or the stuff for finishing on wood?
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 6 2012 23:22:08

estebanana

The kind of Walnut oil you get at the health food store grocery store. Just make sure it's 100%, sometimes they mix peanut oil or other non drying oils.

Re: the cross linking of shellac, I think it's simply that one coat burns into another by prolonged rubbing which solves the layer below and they burn together. But if you can layer the shellac quickly in thicker layers it does the same thing. Like I think brushing or wiping a few coats allows the same bonding between layers as long as the brushing or wiping happens together in one fast session while the surface is uniformly tender.

After a shellac film gasses out solvent for a period of time, a few days, it takes some rubbing with a solvent to open up the dried film to bond well with the new layers.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 7 2012 7:10:04

Jeff Highland

Crosslinking is a bit more than just burn in, it is providing an additional chemical bonding to strengthen the film
I am currently using this
http://www.ubeaut.com.au/hardshell.htm
but I am only 4 days into the FP on this guitar so can't really comment except that it seems to build really easily and does not seem as vulnerable the next day.
This is my 6th FP guitar, practice makes it a lot easier.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 7 2012 7:46:56

El Burdo

Has nobody mentioned Linseed Oil for a reason? It seems to be mentioned in the same breath as French Polish from what I read generally, but not here. Maybe not good for sound?
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 7 2012 9:32:07

estebanana

Linseed oil is also a drying oil, it works fine. Although linseed oil is usually more viscous than walnut oil or mineral oil so it can be harder to use.

Linseed oil can also have siccatives mixed into it, siccatives are chemical driers and you don't want to use a siccative treated linseed oil for French polishing because it will accelerate the drying time and you can get a sticky film on your work. Linseed oil comes three basic ways: Raw, Boiled and boiled with a siccative added.

Mineral oil is just easier to sort out from the different linseed oil compounds. Linseed oil also comes in various degrees of viscosity depending on brand.

Re: The crosslink definition. I don't know what you all thinking about what "cross linked" actually means, but I disagree that it takes lots pressure to consolidate the shellac surface. In the paint film industry cross linked means that the solvent evaporates form a paint film and as it does it shrinks. The more it shrinks the closer the film molecules get because the solvent is not taking up space. Eventually the molecules touch and link together to form bigger molecules of the same substance.

I personally don't know if natural shellac actually goes through this process, but I do know that as long as the solvent is heavily saturating the shellac the layers blend together to form one film. And if you take an older finish and re saturate the surface of the film with shellac and solvent it will also take more layers and consolidate them.

I'm just mentioning this so we don't get fast and loose get the definition of "cross linked" vs. the lay mens term "burning in" which is re introducing a solvent to a dry surface to melt the layers together.

At the very least we do know that shellac does shrink and as the solvent gasses off the film, the film becomes harder. Whether or not adding an oil to the shellac causes a process of copolymerization or technically correct cross linking, I doubt any of us actually know. Copolymerization is very complex and I do not think the oils and shellac are compatible chemically to accomplish this due to the fact the the oils are not totally solvable in alcohol. For copolymerization to happen it would seem logical for the both shellac a oil to dissolve in the same solvent in order to mix together.

In the end I rest assured that as the shellac film shrinks and off gasses it becomes harder because the molecules are being pushed together by the exiting of solvent and the closing of the space it takes up.

Perhaps there is heat created by friction when a shellac surface is rubbed vigoursly and this causes the molecules to pack together tighter sooner thus enabling the solvent to exit the film and create a harder surface sooner. But eventually the solvent will gas out and amount of material solids in the shellac will pack together any way.

I'm no chemist, but this all begs the question, cross linking aside : Does any one really know if a friction induced compaction of solids in the shellac film create a stronger film and is there a reason given that is chemically known?

Otherwise it simply more anecdotal information, which is fine because the chemistry of shellac films is not really rocket science, it's really the chemistry of liquids, which in some ways is more complicated.

Right?

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 7 2012 19:40:43

estebanana

I think people make French polish more difficult that it really is:

Step one, get shellac on guitar, some how use a stick or your underwear or the hair on a Barbie doll head.

Step two, let it dry for along time.

Step three, sand it smooth, use your armpit hair, beach sand your mothers wool coat...auto body micromesh...anything rough.

Step four, smooth it out again an make it shine. Tie a rope on the guitar a drag it around though silica sand for three days. Or rub it for seven days with a rag dipped in frog juice.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 7 2012 19:48:11

Escribano

RE: French Polishing (in reply to estebanana

quote:

Or rub it for seven days with a rag dipped in frog juice.

That's where I made my mistake.. duh!

Foro Flamenco founder and Admin
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 7 2012 20:16:31

krichards

RE: French Polishing (in reply to estebanana

quote:

I think people make French polish more difficult that it really is:

Step one, get shellac on guitar, some how use a stick or your underwear or the hair on a Barbie doll head.

Step two, let it dry for along time.

Step three, sand it smooth, use your armpit hair, beach sand your mothers wool coat...auto body micromesh...anything rough.

Step four, smooth it out again an make it shine. Tie a rope on the guitar a drag it around though silica sand for three days. Or rub it for seven days with a rag dipped in frog juice.

Joking aside, thats basically right. No need to complicate a simple thing imo. Too much mystique is attached to it (as with much else in guitar building)

1 Get enough shellac on
2 let it harden
3 get it glossy

We all seem to do it in a different way, which is why its such a great technique for hand builders, and with no special equipment needed.

Kevin Richards

http://www.facebook.com/#!/kevin.richards.1048554
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 8 2012 8:02:45

Anders Eliasson

Ok, I´m the one who used the mystical mental word ´crosslinking´ And I didnt know what it meant. I know I´m an ignorant foreigner trying to be smart, using weird words in a language that I dont dominate to well. And this is a totally freaked out english dominated forum with little space for non native english speakers...

What I was trying to say when I used this super modern tecno word, was that when rubbing, the alcohol dillutes the surface of the shellack film and so you get one layer of shellack instead of many thin layers. .
It can actually be proven and I have done so some years ago: Put 10 layers of shellack on a wooden surface with a spray gun, let it dry and level sand it. Now French polish on top of that with You can then see that you sand away layers and that below your FP, there are some blotches or whatever its called. (it has another english tech word that I´ve forgotten)
This doesnt happen when you FP from the start.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 8 2012 8:20:33

Jeff Highland

I know people do spray shellac, but I can't really see the appeal.
Once you get a technique that works for you and can get a decent finish off the pad, it really is pretty straightforward. and no need for a spraybooth or a sunny day.

And as Anders says, you get one layer instead of multiple coats.

Is it "witness lines" that you are trying to find the term for
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 8 2012 9:53:54

constructordeguitarras

quote:

It can actually be proven and I have done so some years ago: Put 10 layers of shellack on a wooden surface with a spray gun, let it dry and level sand it. Now French polish on top of that with You can then see that you sand away layers and that below your FP, there are some blotches or whatever its called. (it has another english tech word that I´ve forgotten)

Thanks for sharing this information, Anders. I'm surprised that happened. I think you mean "witness lines" between the layers.

Ethan Deutsch
www.edluthier.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 9 2012 22:37:37
Page:   <<   <   1 [2] 3    >   >>
All Forums >>Discussions >>Lutherie >> Page: <<   <   1 [2] 3    >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post