Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

Picado practice and scales   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: [1]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

Munin

Picado practice and scales 

This year I have finally decided to take picado and scales seriously...I rarely practice picado because a) it bores the hell out of me b) I have a severe lack of knowledge in regards to scales that I need to fix, which might also be the indirect reason for a)

But now this is really becoming a big obstacle that I need to sort out. I have done a search on the Foro but found nothing conclusive that's answering my questions..

So I was wondering if anyone has any advice how I should tackle this. My problem is that I know my music theory in, well, theory, I know how to construct scales and chords but I have very little actually ingrained and applicable in practice. In particular I need to improve fluency between individual positions/patterns, "knowing where I am" etc...not sure how to practice that.

I think I should start by learning common flamenco scales in their open positions and across the fretboard...so E Major/Phrygian, A Major/Minor/Phrygian, C# Phrygian would be a good start I think.

Is there any website that can spit out diagrams for these in different positions across the fretboard? Or a recommended book? I am a bit unsure if simply figuring the notes out for myself and creating my own diagrams is a good idea. But I guess I could buckle down and do that too.

Any advice regarding the learning approach?
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 6 2012 10:47:47

Elie

RE: Picado practice and scales (in reply to Munin

I recommend you Diatonic Major and Minor scales by Andres Segovia it seems to be a Favorited book among classic players and some flamnecos (most scales on Jason McGuire site are taken from that book)
just google it

H.Villa Lobos has very nice etudes, try to learn the N.1 etude it helped me improve my picado very well

also don't forget about this ( one of my fav videos )

best luck

http://www.youtube.com/user/GuitarristaAD
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 6 2012 10:58:58

aleksi

If you want something useful in the same time as learning positions, I recommend take some picado remates from different palos and play them. You'll learn how flamencos use positions/fingerings.

Alegria C,E
Bulerias, tangos
Tarantas
Solea,Malaguenas,Fandangos,
Granainas

they are all in different keys, so practising stuff from these will give you many useful positions and patterns.

I think practical aproach works for flamenco, but if you want to just fiddle around with scales and little by little build your all around guitarism :) I recommend guitar scales method. Its a good step by step program learning the diatonic scales.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 6 2012 11:22:39

Ricardo

Three note per string diatonic scale patterns map out the neck
completly And there are only 7 patterns for any type of scale
want to study... Segovia scales and such are more left hand technique
oriented and don't help visualizing the keys necessarily.

CD's and transcriptions available here:
www.ricardomarlow.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 6 2012 13:52:57

El_Tortuga

Ok, you should start with the CAGED keys:

C has no sharps, no flats
G has 1 sharp (F#)
D has 2 sharps (F#, C#)
A has 3 sharps (F#, C#, G#)
E has 4 sharps (F#, C#, G#, D#)

Foro would let me upload only 4 attachments, so I'll add the 5th in the next reply.

Images are resized automatically to a maximum width of 800px

Attachment (4)

http://liveguitartutor.com
http://www.youtube.com/user/Duendito
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 6 2012 13:55:52

El_Tortuga

Here's Part 2 of my reply, the 5th of the CAGED series which is E major:

Attachment (1)

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 6 2012 13:57:22

El_Tortuga

Advice re scale practice:

If you're not familiar with a particular scale, don't try to train picado while learning the scale, just focus on the left hand learning the fretting.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 6 2012 13:58:33

Munin

Thanks guys for the advice, lots to keep me busy now. I have heard of CAGED as well, I'll dig into it as soon as I can find the time.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 9 2012 17:57:26

machopicasso

Once you can play picado both with proper technique and in a relaxed manner, I would recommend practicing with a metronome; both for even playing and to gradually (!) increase speed.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 10 2012 10:14:46

paul.troutfisher

RE: Picado practice and scales (in reply to Ricardo

Ricardo,

Found these 3-notes per string 7-pattern diatonic scales. Thought I'd follow your advise and use them to practice picado.

Some of these have questionable fingering. One could make this into a real stretching exercise if they so desired. Seems like you want to keep it simple and work on the right hand, as you said. Do you have any fingering suggestions?

thanks

Attachment (1)

troutie
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 2 2012 22:29:05

Ricardo

RE: Picado practice and scales (in reply to paul.troutfisher

quote:

ORIGINAL: paul.troutfisher

Ricardo,

Found these 3-notes per string 7-pattern diatonic scales. Thought I'd follow your advise and use them to practice picado.

Some of these have questionable fingering. One could make this into a real stretching exercise if they so desired. Seems like you want to keep it simple and work on the right hand, as you said. Do you have any fingering suggestions?

thanks

Fingering should be easy to understand assuming you are simply running up or down the scale and not doing a pattern of sorts. Simply start first note with index ascending and end with pinky on each string....the fingers in between to should be logical. Half step use middle, whole step use ring. It's that simple. In the case you must to two whole steps some players feel more comfortable doing that stretch 124....Pepe Habichuela for example. Most other flamenco players used 134 for whole step stretches as we often need to do those under an index barre. But it is really what you feel more comfortable with when it comes to simply running the scale.

I wanted to add to munin's original post about achieving fluency on the fingerboard, I would avoid running full scales all together. Get used to rhythmic sequence patterns. For example up 3 notes jump back a third and continue up. Or up 4 notes, down 3, up 5, drop a third and continue same pattern. Another is up 6 notes, down a third and continue pattern up. Using 3 note patterns above, you cover more ground interms of fluency of string crossing with specific note groups and gain speed faster then just running up and down scales. Those types of patterns you can reverse sequence when you get to the top string.

Lastly focus on right hand picados in short bursts. Like the unison picados of Mediterranean Sundance, 23532 on E string, 45754 on B string, etc but in compas....that is important. Also the short run in Zyrab is a good exercise in short bursts. 2520 on E string, 2520 on B string, 3430 on G string, 4 on D string and stop on beat. Start slow in 3 beats starting on down beat of one measure and end on downbeat of the next. Lead with index of Right hand and don't increase speed past where you can control the timing. You can wait several measures before your next speed burst. Over time you will develop speed with short bursts of simple patterns, you can increase the range of strings you cross. ONE AT A TIME though....don't just get good crossing 3 strings then jump to running full scales. Work your way into it.

www.ricardomarlow.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 3 2012 12:20:42

paul.troutfisher

Ricardo,

Thanks for such a thorough and informative reply. I can now come up with a meaningful and effective picado practice. Great stuff!

troutie
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 3 2012 15:17:14

hamia

The last scale in the picture doesn´t have the correct interval pattern for a major scale (or related mode).
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 4 2012 0:29:00

Ricardo

RE: Picado practice and scales (in reply to hamia

quote:

ORIGINAL: hamia

The last scale in the picture doesn´t have the correct interval pattern for a major scale (or related mode).

Ooops your right didn't notice. looks like they ran out of room on their "fingerboard" and there was shift back plus overlap.
Wait, no it's correct they just missed two notes on the D string whole step up and G string whole step up.

Last pattern should be, if the root was A for an A natural minor:

E---------------------------------------------7-8-10-
B-----------------------------------6-8-10-----------
G---------------------------5-7-9---------------------
D-----------------5-7-9-------------------------------
A---------5-7-8-----------------------------------------
E-5-7-8-------------------------------------------------

They left out what would have been my 9th frets.

www.ricardomarlow.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 4 2012 12:05:37

dararith

quote:

This year I have finally decided to take picado and scales seriously...I rarely practice picado because a) it bores the hell out of me b) I have a severe lack of knowledge in regards to scales that I need to fix, which might also be the indirect reason for a)

But now this is really becoming a big obstacle that I need to sort out. I have done a search on the Foro but found nothing conclusive that's answering my questions..

So I was wondering if anyone has any advice how I should tackle this. My problem is that I know my music theory in, well, theory, I know how to construct scales and chords but I have very little actually ingrained and applicable in practice. In particular I need to improve fluency between individual positions/patterns, "knowing where I am" etc...not sure how to practice that.

I think I should start by learning common flamenco scales in their open positions and across the fretboard...so E Major/Phrygian, A Major/Minor/Phrygian, C# Phrygian would be a good start I think.

Is there any website that can spit out diagrams for these in different positions across the fretboard? Or a recommended book? I am a bit unsure if simply figuring the notes out for myself and creating my own diagrams is a good idea. But I guess I could buckle down and do that too.

Any advice regarding the learning approach?

Ah! I share your pain in picado / chord scale / theory frustration. I have been on and off during this whole process and have been trying to make this less painful to learn. I'll be reviving this few month old thread in hopes of anybody having any new ideas.

quote:

Fingering should be easy to understand assuming you are simply running up or down the scale and not doing a pattern of sorts. Simply start first note with index ascending and end with pinky on each string....the fingers in between to should be logical. Half step use middle, whole step use ring. It's that simple. In the case you must to two whole steps some players feel more comfortable doing that stretch 124....Pepe Habichuela for example. Most other flamenco players used 134 for whole step stretches as we often need to do those under an index barre. But it is really what you feel more comfortable with when it comes to simply running the scale.

I wanted to add to munin's original post about achieving fluency on the fingerboard, I would avoid running full scales all together. Get used to rhythmic sequence patterns. For example up 3 notes jump back a third and continue up. Or up 4 notes, down 3, up 5, drop a third and continue same pattern. Another is up 6 notes, down a third and continue pattern up. Using 3 note patterns above, you cover more ground interms of fluency of string crossing with specific note groups and gain speed faster then just running up and down scales. Those types of patterns you can reverse sequence when you get to the top string.

Lastly focus on right hand picados in short bursts. Like the unison picados of Mediterranean Sundance, 23532 on E string, 45754 on B string, etc but in compas....that is important. Also the short run in Zyrab is a good exercise in short bursts. 2520 on E string, 2520 on B string, 3430 on G string, 4 on D string and stop on beat. Start slow in 3 beats starting on down beat of one measure and end on downbeat of the next. Lead with index of Right hand and don't increase speed past where you can control the timing. You can wait several measures before your next speed burst. Over time you will develop speed with short bursts of simple patterns, you can increase the range of strings you cross. ONE AT A TIME though....don't just get good crossing 3 strings then jump to running full scales. Work your way into it.

This is immensely helpful. Part of the reason why I stopped is because I didn't know if I should practice scales using fingers 124 vs 134 (it's a pathetic excuse, but enough to not want me to do it anymore!) simply because I didn't want to learn it the 'wrong' way. Maybe I felt that even if 134 felt uncomfortable, I had to learn it anyway, or else I won't be able to learn certain phrases correctly down the line. Nice to know that it's whatever that is comfortable.

So it seems that the impression here is to:

1) Know CAGED chords/scales

2) Practice the scales by using rhythmic patterns in compas (i.e. up 4 notes , down 3, up 5, etc)

3) Practice short burst picados in compas on each string

4) Combine Steps 2/3

When I look at some of these scales, they are spliced in sections. I see that there's a lot in the open position, some in the 5th position, etc. Is it more beneficial to practice the above in these sections? i.e. go through the scales that El Tortuga has shown in the pics or what Paul has shown in his picture where I would just pick one of the fingering positions and practice each of those?
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 10 2012 7:09:42

tele

RE: Picado practice and scales (in reply to dararith

I recommend learning the major/minor scale on the whole fretboard. For example here's Aminor/Cmajor:
http://www.all-guitar-chords.com/guitar_scales.php?scch=C&scchnam=Major&get2=Get&t=0&choice=1

In the link one can also find E phrygian, D dorian and others.

By learning this pattern helped me alot and it's easy to move it depending on the scale being used, the pattern remains the same.
Later on one can add own "chromatic notes" and see relations between altered scales(such as melodic minor) and standard scales.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 10 2012 16:26:03
Page:   [1]
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post