Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

Players (especially): Preferred Nut Width?   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>Lutherie >> Page: [1]
[Poll]

Players (especially): Preferred Nut Width?

50 mm
  3% (1)
50.5 mm
  0% (0)
51 mm
  7% (2)
51.5 mm
  0% (0)
52 mm
  34% (9)
53 mm
  38% (10)
Depends on the shape of the neck.
  15% (4)

Total Votes : 26

(last vote on : Aug. 21 2020 14:57:44) 
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

constructordeguitarras

Players (especially): Preferred Nut... 

I have built guitars with 50.5, 51, 51.5, and 52 mm wide nuts. I have a 1971 Jose Ramirez Modelo Sabicas (beat up and not for sale; I study it) that has a 53 mm nut. What width do you prefer?

Ethan Deutsch
www.edluthier.com
www.facebook.com/ethandeutschguitars
www.youtube.com/marioamayaflamenco
I always have flamenco guitars available for sale.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 4 2012 7:31:53

El Kiko

RE: Players (especially): Preferred... (in reply to constructordeguitarras

I find a wider neck is better for Flamenco and classical . I was used to a very narrow neck with the electric guitars but I think 52 is just fine , although I really have never tried a 53 , I would think it would be very good as well.
As a standard most people will own a 52 mm nut...

Don't trust Atoms.....they make up everything.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 4 2012 10:58:03

Anders Eliasson

You forgot to put the 54mm nut on the list.
I prefer a 53mm nut but there are other factors involved. Shape of the neck and stringspacing.
In general, if I like a guitar, I adapt to anything between 52 and 54mm and if I dont like the guitar, then I just dont care about milimeters

Blog: http://news-from-the-workshop.blogspot.com/
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 4 2012 19:11:46

beno

quote:

anything between 52 and 54mm

same for me it also depends on the shape, but 54 comfy too

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 4 2012 19:52:52

Shawn Brock

I voted tor "depends on the shape of the neck", because that seems the most logical to me. Being that I have a steel string background, I can live with a 50 MM nut just fine. I have played guitars with thin neck profiles and a 50 MM nut which just didn't feel right to me. If the neck profile had been thicker, then I would have been fine. By the same I have played a few 53 MM necks which felt killer good to me. All in all if I bought a guitar that was used or something, and I had no say on how the neck was made, I wouldn't hesitate about buying a guitar with a 52 or 51 MM nut. If it was a 50, 53 or 54 MM nut, I would have to play it first before I would consider putting in an offer... Like Anders, most times I can get used to anything if I like the guitar, but I don't see any 54 MM nuts in my future... Maybe I should vote again and just split my difference and vote for 51.5 MM...
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 4 2012 19:57:33

JuanDaBomb

I recently bought a cedar/indian rosewood guitar from Benito Huipe. Since he lives in Paracho, I had to buy it without playing it first. All I specified was a 660mm scale, and the rest I left up to him. As it turned out he made the nut 55mm. This wasn't what I expected in my mind, but even so I was surprised how comfy and playable it turned out. I do have fairly large hands, but others have played it as well since I got it and no one has complained about the nut width. I currently have guitars with 51.5mm, 52mm, and now this 55mm. I think I agree with Anders too, that if I like the guitar I can get used to the neck shape and width. But I think that given a choice, a wider nut is more comfy for me. My narrowest guitar requires me to pay more attention to my technique, mainly to avoid muting the 1rst string when I don't mean to. Although I think that little issue might have more to do with neck shape, I dunno.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 4 2012 20:52:02

Shawn Brock

Darn it Juan! Some time I would like to hear your thoughts on your Huipe. I had considered ordering this latest negra from him, and was even offered a big discount... I was afraid to take the plunge cause I had only played one of his guitars from years ago. Plus he never returned my emails, not sure if he got them or not though... I had to email with Alex, the guy who helps him sort out the money and shipping... He seemed like a good guy. Sorry for going O.T...
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 6 2012 0:21:19

Dave K

I think you're missing out not including wider necks too...
Here is a very comfortable (for me) '99 De Voe.

Images are resized automatically to a maximum width of 800px

Attachment (1)

Avise La Fin
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 7 2012 20:02:51

Anders Eliasson

I agree. 54mm is much more common nowadays than less than 52mm.

Blog: http://news-from-the-workshop.blogspot.com/
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 8 2012 7:38:34

Shawn Brock

It seems for me, there has to be a balance between neck thickness and neck width. If a neck is 53 or 54 MM, I like for it to be pretty thin, (I should measure just how thick), but if a neck is 52 or 51 MM, I definitely want it to be on the thicker side. That's just me and my average size hands... It also seems that if I'm playing on a wider neck that I don't like as much graduation in how the neck is tapered. I have also noticed that I like a neck to be a little more on the flat side if its wider, and somewhat more rounded if its 52 MM or less.

All in all, it still seems that if a luthier is making a guitar, and he don't know who the buyer is going to be that he is still better off going with a 52 MM nut. But I'm just talking as a guitar buyer, not a luthier. As I said before, I have no reservations about playing on a guitar that has a 52 MM nut.

I just sold a 2008 Navarro which I had here for a short time, and I wish I had measured the thickness and taper of the neck, because that was hands down the best feeling neck that I had played. I don't know what it was about it, it didn't have a carbon fiber rod, it just had an ebony reinforcement strip, the neck wasn't to thick and chunky, and the string spacing was just killer. Aw yes, the lost opportunities...
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 9 2012 0:36:26

Turner

I have a Federico Sheppard with a 54mm nut and it's actually easier to play than some 52mms I've had.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 9 2012 19:51:43
Page:   [1]
All Forums >>Discussions >>Lutherie >> Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post