Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

RE: My photo of the week 29   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>Off Topic >> Page: <<   <   1 [2] 3    >   >>
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

Ruphus

RE: My photo of the week 29 (in reply to Escribano

Leo,

The catholic churchs introduction of the celibacy ( in order to keep funds from being spend through priest´s heredity) changes little on the overall situation.
You may infrom yourself about typical occurence of child abuse, incest, rape and excesses of extreme prudery, first. Realize the actual proportions in the individual cultural spheres, before trying to equalize yet very different conditions.

Arash,

I am as far from being pessimistic as it gets. This is not just my personal empirics, but just the same of common people.
Yet, mine as unspeakable as they are, only cover occurances of a short period in time. Wheras I can introduce you to as much people as you want, who once starting to tell of sheer incredible low-life encounters will individually be taking hours over hours to only encompass a fraction of their life-time experience.
And apart of that, once you come to see how above mentioned aspects work on principle you will understand the inherent issue of misleading doctrins and how they yield in daily life and culture.

Could it be that you are referring to conditions of at least 25 years ago, when there was still some societal ostracism / loss of face in place?

If so, it might be about time for you to update on a staus quo that has drastically worsened.

I really do understand how romantic detain comes about, but man, bettering is exclusively possible by prior perception of a desaster that is.

If you are in Germany I can hook you up with countrymen of yours, who may provide you with some fresh info. They are not like most who keep travelling back and forth, pretending things were about normal, without concern and utter about the misere.

Ruphus
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 1 2012 16:49:01

kudo

RE: My photo of the week 29 (in reply to Ruphus

Ruphus, what you are about to read is 100% serious (no joke, nothing), and this is also meant for everyone to read

Qualifications:
-excellent writing skills, be able to write a lot and sound like you know a lot about the subject
-have a few hours of free time, good internet connection, and know how to obtain information on the internet and know how to properly source it.
- ofcourse know how to use MS-Word and make things look good

If you are interested, please let me know. IM VERY SERIOUS ABOUT THIS! contact me via Private Message

so I hope you are interested ruphus, if not, someone else might be, since some musicians here might want some extra cash

sorry for hijacking Escribano your topic and going off-topic, we are in the off-topic section of the foro, but hey, you might be interested.
can I post this in the classified section instead?

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 1 2012 17:25:13

Ron.M

RE: My photo of the week 29 (in reply to kudo

quote:

and sound like you know a lot about the subject

Qualification for a BT Broadband Helpdesk operative.

cheers,

Ron
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 1 2012 17:36:32

kudo

RE: My photo of the week 29 (in reply to Ron.M

I would give you something to write on, thats basically it, YOU would be working for me, NOT a company or something

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 1 2012 17:38:50

Ron.M

OK....Give us all a test subject and see who can write a convincing paragraph on it.

I'm intrigued.

cheers,

Ron

PS: You don't need a $100 "registration fee" (to cover administration costs) first do you?
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 1 2012 17:46:47

Escribano

quote:

sorry for hijacking Escribano your topic and going off-topic, we are in the off-topic section of the foro, but hey, you might be interested.
can I post this in the classified section instead?

If it's real, then of course you can. This thread is going in a strange tangent.

Foro Flamenco founder and Admin
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 1 2012 18:08:55

Ruphus

You can´t insult me, Kudo.

Anyone beyound village idiocy realizes that most of my statements cannot be bodged by googling and "making things sound". ( Besides of the fact that I´m hooked to a pretty lame internet conncetion, that would take too long for googling up much.)

I´m corresponding for actual interest in matters, exchange and exploring.

If me instead was trivially in need of impressing, as you and a handful of peeved others might like to paint it, I would be alright and tranquillo long since.
But maybe you can´t imagine how curiosity, ideal and reason look like.

Ruphus
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 1 2012 18:36:41

at_leo_87

Ruphus, it comes down to this.

1. "Muslims are sexually repressed." Not really. But if you're going to say that, why not just say in general religion is sexually repressing, because there are a lot more sexually repressive religions out there. Why just single one religion out? That sounds unfair to me.

2. Camera shyness is independent of your religious beliefs. Your previous statement makes it sound like only muslims are camera shy. Well... again... not really.

Any evidence you find to support those two points above, I'll find evidence to support my viewpoint and you'll see that what you said is just not objective or true at all.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 1 2012 20:42:58

Richard Jernigan

Very nice photo of the stranger on the train, Simon.

Love the Cartier-Bresson!

Speaking of point-and-shoots, Larisa took this with a Sony point-and-shoot at least one generation out of date while we were in Japan, September, 2007. It's an inn at Tsumago, on the Nakasendo, one of five imperial highways maintained by the Shogunate between Edo (now Tokyo) and Kyoto.

Images are resized automatically to a maximum width of 800px
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 1 2012 21:24:29

Richard Jernigan

RE: My photo of the week 29 (in reply to Richard Jernigan

And here's one from my Sony point-and-shoot, January 2010 at Humayun's tomb in Delhi. I didn't feel like lugging around the bag full of Nikon stuff that day.

Attachment (1)
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 1 2012 21:29:25

Escribano

RE: My photo of the week 29 (in reply to Richard Jernigan

I was going to say that "when there is enough light" with these small cameras, but the kettle shot disproves that theory. Just straighten the vertical and it is really a sublime image.

Your shot proves that you really don't need to lug a DSLR around all day when low light and DOF are not factors.

Got my eyes on the Fuji X100 at the moment, but I am resisting the GAS... for now.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 1 2012 21:57:01

Ruphus

Dear Leo,

You are aiming to brush away all too obvious and pertinent facts.
You have to accept that religions are not all on the same level of archaism, arbitrariness and private interference. That some have at least to a degree gone through concessions to wordly facts and civilsatory standards while one has not reformed at all.

And not at last, have I talked to dozens of individuals who were trying to defend the impossible, and who on my request claimed to actually have read a holy book.
Yet, each and every time on my following up it turned out that they hadn´t at all.
( Leaving them with "ah ... uh ...")

And that´s in fact the only way it could be.
Thus, I would recommend to read your book first and see what it actually says.

You have my sympathy. ( Meant sincerely.)

Richard,

I like the atmospheric image of the Japanese inn.
Only tilt it a tad to the left, please. Otherwise I might be dropping off the chair. ;O)

Ruphus

PS:
One question that has me wondering for so long now:
What´s about the traditional Japanese houses with paper walls?
How would folks get through winter?
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 1 2012 22:06:16

at_leo_87

quote:

You are aiming to brush away all too obvious and pertinent facts.

such as?

you made a very specific comment and now you're not backing it up and instead are talking in circles.

quote:

Thus, I would recommend to read your book first and see what it actually says.

what book? im reading effortless mastery by kenny werner. i'm not talking about any book. im talking about muslims, the people.

ruphus, please be more specific. dumb it down for me if you need to. you said

1. muslims are sexually repressed.
2. muslims are camera shy.

(i've listed these points out before and you still ignore it.)

back it up. i have personal experience that both those statements are wrong. i dont know where you're coming from, but from my perspective here, you couldn't be more wrong. so please explain to me why you needed to bring up religion, with what i consider to be an ignorant statement, to begin with.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 1 2012 22:20:26

Escribano

RE: My photo of the week 29 (in reply to at_leo_87

Sounds like your experiences have been very different and I would urge you to agree on that much, at least.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 1 2012 23:07:14

Richard Jernigan

Here's the inn at Tsumago with the vertical straightened. Oddly, the tilt never bothered me.

Larisa is an art school graduate, a painter, sculptor and potter. Her approach to photography is refreshingly simple.

She buys an outdated point-and-shoot on ebay. She shoots a few shots to learn how it acts. Then she points it at what she likes. If it turns out as she visualised it, fine. If not, she hits "delete". She may crop on the computer, but she never does any other post processing.

I once commented when she was shooting a landscape with the flash turned on that she might be wasting battery power. She turned off the flash and took another shot, then showed them to me.

"Do you see the difference?" she asked.

"Yes, the colors are warmer when the flash is on. It must be the manufacturer's compensation for a flash that's a little too cool."

"That's what I thought," she replied.

Once in Manila we were standing near a group of Japanese tourists. A well dressed young man stepped forward and offered to take our photo. When she handed him her camera he took off running. She shrugged, shook her head and reached into her purse for her spare ebay junker.

Attachment (1)
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 2 2012 0:18:43

Richard Jernigan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ruphus
One question that has me wondering for so long now:
What´s about the traditional Japanese houses with paper walls?
How would folks get through winter?

It was cool and rainy the day the photo was taken at Tsumago. The inn in the photo is not open for business. It is preserved to illustrate life in the early 19th century.

A couple of miles away, a walk through the forest along the Nakasendo, at the inn where we stayed, the walls were stone, but the fire was built up higher than the one in the photo. People sat around the fire after dinner, drank tea and talked. Larisa and I were the only foreigners, but all the other guests spoke serviceable English. The woman who owned and ran the inn spoke no English at all, but was a virtuoso of body language and charades.

There was space under the dining table for charcoal burners when it turned reallly cold, but they weren't in use yet. This inn didn't look much different from the one in the photo.

There were Japanese style bathing facilities. You sit on a stool and wash with soap and a brush. After a thorough rinse you join others in the large pool of very hot water for a good soak.

Our next stop was at a well known onsen, a country inn with hot springs. You may have seen photos of the snow monkeys with their own hot spring at this inn.

It was very pleasant to soak in the hot springs in the cool fall weather, but indoors it was warm enough with just a sweater. Here too there were recesses under the big dinner table for charcoal burners when the weather turned cold.

There was no heating in the bedrooms, but we were furnished with plenty of feather filled bedding and thick futons to put on the floor. I'm sure it would have been warm enough sleeping, even in snowy weather.

RNJ
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 2 2012 0:48:32

at_leo_87

quote:

Sounds like your experiences have been very different and I would urge you to agree on that much, at least.

Sorry, Simon. Yes, my experiences are very different. I don't care much for stereotypes and having some very positive relationships with muslims, I felt I had to say something.

Anyways, getting back to photography, I'd like to share some of my wife's works. I'm sure she would appreciate any comments/feedback.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 2 2012 4:35:31

Ruphus

quote:

ORIGINAL: Escribano

Sure have they been different. Or at least does he want them to be, looking at examples through a keyhole in Boston, while I was about commonly known conditions with not really scarce traditional custom of what after all amounts to 16% of the worldwide population.

Then, intenting to puff up his PC exception, asking me to prove that elephants don´t fly. As if such silly strategy could be ressembling congruency.

I thought he wouldn´t know, but it is clear by now that he doesn´t want to know. Hence pointless bother anyway. Suffice for me to let it be, not at last with your suggestion to end the debate as well.

Thank you, Richard, for describing.
The glowing coal used to be common over here too, so I´ve been told. It would be put into a bowl and then under the table. Then a thick kind of rug would be put over the table, reaching down to the floor. Folks would then put their legs under and have the lower body warmed.

If I recall that right, Apulians ( southern Italy ) in their trulli ( conic stone cottages ) would use a similar method ( saw an old lady there with such bowl under her chair); and as of now assume the method to have been used across continents.

Ruphus
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 2 2012 5:34:47

XXX

quote:

Or at least does he want them to be, bli bla blub

You know his experiences better than him?

quote:

commonly known conditions

Exactly Ruphus. Above you mentioned that your writings could not be made up by googling something around. I hope that you see now, that your "commonly known conditions" are to be found in any half-conservative news paper in Germany and im pretty sure in the rest of the world (preferably western) too. And - what coincidence - there are at the same time 2 wars going on in muslim countries and a 3rd one (Iran) is on the to-do-list. I guess, before 9/11 there were other "commonly known conditions"
(im not a muslim btw and i reject any religion)

Фламенко
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 2 2012 8:31:19

Escribano

RE: My photo of the week 29 (in reply to at_leo_87

quote:

Anyways, getting back to photography, I'd like to share some of my wife's works. I'm sure she would appreciate any comments/feedback.

Feda has a great eye for people at their best and a beautiful technique. She also understands muted colour and lighting. Very modern and professional; I trust that she is getting lots of commissions with her portfolio.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 2 2012 10:56:52

Ruphus

RE: My photo of the week 29 (in reply to XXX

Deniz,

What are you talking about?
Where the hell in the western world do you find yourself anyway near to being defamed as impure, tarty, reprobate and for marriage inglorious like respectively an alien in the muslim world?

Do you find yourself in mortal danger like Christians in Turkey, your priest assasinated, pressured to dress in weird ways, at best left alone as fellow citizen on sufferance, etc.?

Or is it rather that you are allowed to claim before court for supposed right to build mosques in the heart of the western world and even have your muezzin call vocally over roofs in German cities, have German conservative officials partially stating that muslims were belonging to there?

Pathing equality to a religious form that demands the manifold destroyal and burning in hells fire for the "blind" and "infidel" themselves over and over again more than 1000 times (!) in a not really chunky holy book; whichs secondary literature again demands the pursuit and liquidation of those who quit the confession ( now finally repealed first time through a fatma at least of local clerical authorities in Turkey).

Granting equality to a culture that hasn´t found the necessity yet after 1400 years to reform and moderate on a barbarian and indiscriminate ancient religious legislation, let alone facing up to a manifest that is way more aggressive and discriminating than even the cruel old testament.

You don´t have the slightest clue of what you are talking about.
9/11 as indicator for growing anti islam attitude in the western world? Are you kidding me?
When the assassin took place inthe midst of Manhatten I thought the American people would protest to be having enough now. I reall thought there would be some lynching in the islam communities that exist meanwhile all over the USA. Instead the American people behaved as if they knew that it was the US-neocons themselves who beforehand had purposely reawoken an at that time declining religion on behalf of their brainless imperial strategies. ( Which in fact the majority of American public is not aware of at all.)
They good-naturedly left their muslim immigrants completely unchecked.

You sense a tendency against this religion?
What do you know of this world?

You absolutely don´t have an idea of the past to understand what has actually taken place in terms of moderation and progress in the western society, in contrast to the radicalization and regression of your hemisphere.
You should inform yourself on the sight western common sense used to have yet until nearly 40 years ago, when mussulmans were merely ridiculed for unwordly being, fustiness and disdained for lack of principle and self-respect.
( An old German term for deceit being "turking".)

And out of all now, that the western world has rosen to tolerance like never before / nowhere else, and practially political correctness up to selflessness with even advocating and patting what demands their own erasure; you fancy discrimination in the first place?

I tell you what.
Keep ignoring what´s going on right around you, but for sanity sake: Go and read up at least on what you are warshipping.
This is not even closely about a dreamy, harmless and peaceful doctrin, Deniz.

With my experience in the muslim world I have to yet meet one single devout person who would actually have read the book that he bows to. ( All they know of are selected sures at best.) Not one single person in years.
And you obviously just the same.

You might keep that pseudo political correctness in this realm to yourself and do your homework before bubbling along on what you know NOTHING about.

Man, you guys got me going in your PC ivory tower, whilst I wanted to lean back.

Cheers,

Ruphus
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 2 2012 13:55:43

kudo

i was not trying to insult you or anything, but you have the skills I need, im looking for, i was seriously considering to offer you the job, im very serious

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 2 2012 14:32:54

kudo

RE: My photo of the week 29 (in reply to Ron.M

quote:

OK....Give us all a test subject and see who can write a convincing paragraph on it.

I'm intrigued.

cheers,

Ron

ok you asked for it , here is a sample:
-----------
Choose 3 types of pollutants and briefly describe in your own words (1-2
pages) their effects on the following environments
• Coral Reef
• Tundra
------
I dont have time to do such things that are not related to my career, and thats why im looking into hiring someone. again, im very serious about this!

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 2 2012 15:21:09

Ruphus

This would take some research. From the top of my head I´be thinking of warming up of oceans, lowered oxygen contents through algea, suffocating coralls through whirled up sediments and damages through over populating starfish due to reduced natural enemy, mining for cement through idiots who then use the cement to build breakwater in place of the same mined reefs, lowering PH through melting poles, secondary effects of slowed down Humboldt stream and others, over fishing ( over 90% gone ), warming up of formerly permanently frozen soil*, effects of encreased ultra violet and logging.

What might be adding to the situation in the tundra could be coming changes to earth axis and magnetic fields / penetration of solar winds.
-

Thank you for the kind offer, Kudo, and forgive me if I misunderstood.
I am not fast enough at planned projects.
A systematically planned book with only 33X pages took me a whole intensive year.
Futher my English would be grammatically lacking anyway and semantically too compressed for common reading.

Ruphus

* Have you heard of potato harvesting Inuit? That´s no joke.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 2 2012 17:41:57

at_leo_87

quote:

Feda has a great eye for people at their best and a beautiful technique. She also understands muted colour and lighting. Very modern and professional; I trust that she is getting lots of commissions with her portfolio.

Thanks for the kind words, Simon. I'm sure she will appreciate it since she's been feeling down about her photography lately. She's been getting more work, but the clients have not always been the best (bridezillas, cheapskate designers, etc.)

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 2 2012 17:52:30

marrow3

From what you say Kudo, it seems you'd pass off as your own someone else's work, not good for your career (if you get caught!). Appology if I misread the situation, though - here are some references for the coral question. Actually coral reef bleaching is a very serious problem exacerbated by climate change that affects food supply, so it is worth everyone, from all walks of life, knowing something about it, IMO.

CO2 pollution - climate effect on corals incl. temperature, storm intensity and ocean acidity:
http://www.ipcc.ch/publications_and_data/ar4/wg2/en/xccsc2.html

video from NOAA

from Newscientist

from Nature

sewage pollution of reefs
http://www.int-res.com/articles/meps/21/m021p175.pdf

oil pollution
overview from NOAA but no references:
http://coralreef.noaa.gov/aboutcrcp/news/featuredstories/may10/oilspill_coral/
old paper (1980),but put it into a science search engine like scopus or Web of Science, look for articles citing this, look for among the mostly highly cited, particularly a 'review' article (you probably know all this):
http://www.tau.ac.il/lifesci/departments/zoology/members/loya/027.pdf.pdf

cheers,
Richard
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 2 2012 17:53:06

kudo

RE: My photo of the week 29 (in reply to marrow3

quote:

Kudo, it seems you'd pass off as your own someone else's work, not good for your career (if you get caught!). Appology if I misread the situation, though

basically I was forced to take a BS that everyone knows about , which does not help me in my career at all! its a waste of my time and energy! Im supposed to spend that time and focus on the real important career-related courses. if you went to university, you know that sometimes you get these courses which are meant to either bring up your gpa if you are good at doing something thats not related to your career or bring you down! in my cases, these courses have been bringing me down and wasting my time and is affecting me for the real courses.
I know people who have paid others to do this BS for them, and they got away with it. We know how things work and I have always found a way around such things and was never caught, and Im confident that I wont be caught because I know how they operate!
I can garauntee you know that I know what I am doing in my career, and I need to know what im doing , but such BS are obstacles for me and get in my career's way. I hope you understand

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 2 2012 19:26:38

chester

Kudo's just looking for someone to write his college papers for him! Hahaha!

I don't think you want ruphus. He might be knowledgable, but you would have to proofread the sh*t out of those essays.
(no offense ruphus)

Sometimes it's not worth the hassle. Just devote a few hours and write a paper, it doesn't have to be award winning. Who knows, you might even find something interesting - I know I did during my college years.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 2 2012 21:32:08

XXX

quote:

With my experience in the muslim world I have to yet meet one single devout person who would actually have read the book that he bows to. ( All they know of are selected sures at best.) Not one single person in years.

You might keep that pseudo political correctness in this realm to yourself and do your homework before bubbling along on what you know NOTHING about.

Man, you guys got me going in your PC ivory tower, whilst I wanted to lean back.

This is shameful. You keep inventing and criticizing things i have never said. There is a term for that - "fighting the ghosts".
Also your implicit statements about Turks aka "mussulmans" being called inferior in whatever regard make me question your neutral goals in these and any discussions that are related to islam/middle east. This is in accordance with past posts of you regarding these topics. The rest of your post is just a standard copy of what i can read in any conservative news paper, therefore uninteresting and not worth to comment on. As always, the discussion with you was a pain.

One thing that is ironic i will mention though: your interpretation that i would "fancy discrimination" when i was actually talking about concrete wars and your lamentation about barbarian methods when everybody knows that war is the biggest humanly possible barbarism, kind of reveals a gap between whats really going on in this world and what you think is going on. For the sake of my sanity, i will not draw a super-ironic connection of this thread with the Christian saying "Eye for an eye", although i have to admit, it would sum up nicely some reactions of a certain country and at the same time disavow your points about one religion being more civilized than the other pretty hardly.

Фламенко
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 2 2012 22:40:04

kudo

RE: My photo of the week 29 (in reply to chester

quote:

Kudo's just looking for someone to write his college papers for him! Hahaha!

I don't think you want ruphus. He might be knowledgable, but you would have to proofread the sh*t out of those essays.
(no offense ruphus)

Sometimes it's not worth the hassle. Just devote a few hours and write a paper, it doesn't have to be award winning. Who knows, you might even find something interesting - I know I did during my college years.

BINGO!! its not related to my career in anyway, and its wasting my time as IM BAD AT WRITING, english is my 2nd language, the language i learned by talking to people doesnt help me in writing!!

quote:

holy ****! you clearly HAVE VERY LITTLE experience there and VERY little exposure. without speaking arabic, you really cant gain the real exposure there. I lived there for half of my life, and I can garauntee you 100% that at least 50% of the muslims (if not more) READ THE FULL QURAN IN 1 MONTH IN RAMADAN!!

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 3 2012 4:43:17
Page:   <<   <   1 [2] 3    >   >>
All Forums >>Discussions >>Off Topic >> Page: <<   <   1 [2] 3    >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post