Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

RE: Would you like to have Jason McGuire back on foroflamenco?   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: <<   <   1 [2] 3 4 5    >   >>
[Poll]

Would you like to have Jason McGuire back on foroflamenco?

Yes - we want Jason back!
  86% (86)
No - we don't want Jason!
  14% (14)

Total Votes : 100

(last vote on : Jun. 10 2020 23:42:50) 
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

El Kiko

RE: Would you like to have Jason McG... (in reply to hamia

quote:

An overly pious attitude I think. Although we are guests we have rights and the users of the forum are what makes the forum. I don't see why we should be tiptoeing around trying to avoid upsetting those with thin skins. For example, if we see a 4th rate flamenco player setting himself up as a guru we have every right to have a go at him - respecting certain limits of decency of course. It seems these days that everyone's opinion is equally valid no matter how crazy.

Not sure what you mean by "pious "as there is no reference to religion at all here , and I dont claim that we should "tiptoe "around.
As you said the users of the forum make the forum , so lets make it the best one we can for everybody , ....Now you really belive you have the right to have a go at people? , because you dont agree with what they do ? and what are these limits of decency that you mention ?, and who sets them?
Is'nt what you mention the same as what i said about "deliberately controversial or annoying messages" and "any rules that have been put down for the usage of this site " would not all that cover the limits of decency?

I may well set myself up as a 4th rate flamenco guru (if I could get that good) , those that dont like it dont follow me, or read any posts.
those that realize how bad I am would know, and could warn others against me or not . So long as I didnt post deliberaly annoying messages or start arguments etc... then , Here on the net , I can do quite a lot , and , no I dont belive you have the Right "to have a go" at people.

P.S.
Having thought about this I also realize that this may be in itself a controversial post , it's not intended to be annoying but merely in keeping with the thread so far ...just to make that bit clear.

Don't trust Atoms.....they make up everything.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 23 2012 14:57:31

elgreco

RE: Would you like to have Jason McG... (in reply to Grisha

Same as Grisha.

D.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Grisha

I strongly respect moderators' opinions and decisions, but I would LOVE to see Jason back. He's a gold mine of flamenco knowledge.

Captain Esteban: Caballeros! I believe you all know each other?
Don Diego from San Fernando.
Don Francisco from San Jose.
Don Fernando from San Diego.
Don Jose from San Bernardino.
Luis Obispo from Bakersfield.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 23 2012 15:43:55

Ricardo

RE: Would you like to have Jason McG... (in reply to hamia

quote:

It seems these days that everyone's opinion is equally valid no matter how crazy.

My first enounters with internet forums other then lurking was with Flamenco Teacher. As a lurker in other forums not related to flamenco I learned a lot just reading, and never felt compelled to post opinions of my own that were un informed....yet I noticed LOTS of others doing it with no problems. Questions are a different matter, but even there it is funny to see people not liking the more informed and experienced answers in some cases, and challenging back in what I would consider a disrespectful way if we were in a face to face situation or class room or lecture hall etc. But behind a computer console it seemed there are new rules to having a discussion.

Anyway, my first postings at FT, I tried to present things in a matter of fact way, and was told bluntly that I spoke very arrogantly as if from an ivory tower and challenged at every turn to prove myself. I was told that respect is something earned and that I was not entitled to it. So I felt, after all I had gone through in the REAL world to gain expertise in a certain field, I now had to start over by carefully wording everything before posting and add the redundant "IMO" after every controversial idea that might go counter to another's, obviously inexperienced opinion.

It was frustrating for me because till then I only was used to real life dealings with colleagues and students face to face with guitar in hand. But I still saw value in the idea of an internet community and ever since have learned to be VERY political with posting my opinions and wording my posts, and swallowing certain back lash attitudes with hope of a real face to face meeting with certain online personalities one day. So I do feel certain compromises that have to be made when posting in forums...compromises that some very experienced artists honestly should not need to make.

I have had several posts wisely deleted by admin with no warnings or anything, as for whatever reason my political filter was off and my emotions and true thoughts poor out un checked. I guess I am known and respected enough that admins see that and are like "oh, Ricardo must be drinking or something better delete it!"

But anyway, my point is that a guy like McGuire deserves a special respect for his credentials....if that is always respected there wouldn't be a need for arguments and such on FLAMENCO topics. It is just silly. For example, if McGuire has an opinion counter to my own, I have to first respect MY PLACE in the flamenco world of reality, that is that he has more years of experience, is an older person then me as well (I try to respect anyone older then me if I actually know their age, another problem with internet communications), and can do some things on guitar I can't do. If I need to challenge him it would not really benefit me or anyone else until I felt as his equal....and in most cases once I get to that point I find myself more in agreement with the more experienced anyway. I feel the same about certain other members as well, such as Norman. It is very uncomfortable for me to disagree with him on cante subjects, even though we have had some differences, he just has done so much more work on the subject that I need to just shut up and listen to the guy most of the time.

Anyway, NO I don't want Jason back.

CD's and transcriptions available here:
www.ricardomarlow.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 23 2012 16:04:11

Shawn Brock

RE: Would you like to have Jason McG... (in reply to rombsix

I two will never reach Jason's level in flamenco, even if I live 150 years! Anyone who don't see his skill is just jealous or lying...

Before ever joining the Foro I had watched his videos, and some of them can give the impression of arrogance... If I was that good maybe I would also give an impression of arrogance...

I don't know what the falling out was about, but it is clear that Jason has strong opinions as most of us do. Only thing is, he can back it all up with a smile...

Often times artists tend to be misunderstood and perhaps that's part of the problem. On the other hand I emailed him about coming up to Oakland and taking some lessons from him and found him to be a little short. It was almost like I was wasting his time. I told him I would like to get a flight up and take some lessons for as much as 6 hours per day, for 3 days. He emailed me back with some one sentence reply that just said something along the lines of, we can do that in a few months. No, thanks for contacting me, no, sure we can set up a few days for you to study, nothing friendly at all. When I replied back and enquired as to his rates for 3 days, he gave another one line message which just said, "I charge $75 per hour." For those prices I thought I would just save the money toward a new guitar and hang in with Jose Tanaka... A man can charge what ever he wants to charge, but that don't mean I'll pay it... I didn't want a handout, but most smart folks will give a discount for multiple lessons. Guess Jason just didn't need the money, and there isn't anything wrong with that either.

People can think and say what ever they want and it makes no difference. It does seem that some get away with it while others get shut down. I don't mean that remark to be about the Foro as much as I do life in general...

I wouldn't mind having Jason back, I'm sure he could add a lot of enrichment to things. As I said, the guy is just a great player hands down, but sometimes things are about being more than a great player, you need to have a good attitude. I'm not saying Jason don't, because I don't know him. My only direct dealings with him were short and apparently wasn't worth either of our time.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 23 2012 16:52:48

Tomrocker

RE: Would you like to have Jason McG... (in reply to Elie

quote:

check the date of that recent post
it's "Date Nov. 18 2010 21"

Oh Man!!Never reply to threads after a 12hrs shift! I was drunk of work then

This is hard stuff!
Don't give up...
And don't make it a race.
Enjoy the ray of sunshine that comes with every new step in knowledge.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 23 2012 16:54:02

Arash

RE: Would you like to have Jason McG... (in reply to Shawn Brock

guys, please do not talk about someone who is not there to answer or say something about it.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 23 2012 17:05:49

Ricardo

quote:

I told him I would like to get a flight up and take some lessons for as much as 6 hours per day, for 3 days.

man...that is extreme. 2hrs can be exhausting to teach unless your job is only teaching and even still, with just one (possibly annoying just kidding) guy that you just met??? Then you ask his fee and think he is driving up the price or something. Why should you deserve a DISCOUNT because you want to take up SIX hours of his time??? It ain't always about money man. But anyway, that is just me, maybe he was just busy....I mean I hung out with him and he seems pretty busy man.

www.ricardomarlow.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 23 2012 18:19:23

Shawn Brock

RE: Would you like to have Jason McG... (in reply to El Kiko

Ricardo,

Having the experience of giving lessons I know how tiring it can be, especially when someone don't get what you are trying to teach them. I also know that time goes faster when you are working with someone who wants to learn and can make steady progress.

As for if he should discount his time, that's subjective and all depends on the person. Think of it this way, if someone offers you a gig across the country, would you charge them the same price per night if they were hiring you for 3 nights, or would you discount your nightly rate? Most professionals I have ever worked with including myself tend to cut the rate when its more than one engagement. As I said, people need to do what ever they want to do, but I will only pay that kind of money to spend time with god, not a musician. That's about a third of the price as a good trip to Spain, and I would value that experience more... But that's just me. I know classical guitar professors who get half of that per hour, but people can charge what they want... We have traveled off topic, and I'm sure that's my doing...
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 23 2012 18:39:24

estebanana

Bwing back Bwian!
Bwing Back Bwian!

Piss off ! I'm not your savior!

Bwian has been very naughty and he cannot leave the house!

Wewease Bwian!

https://www.stephenfaulkguitars.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 23 2012 18:46:51

rombsix

RE: Would you like to have Jason McG... (in reply to davidheis_24

quote:

hehehe maybe jason hacked rombsix account and started the thread!

Hello everyone,

Thanks for the contributions. I can't read them all because I'm very tight on time preparing for an exam that I need to take next week. I just made this thread because one of the foro members told me to. I thought it was a good idea. I am still in contact with Jason on Facebook, and I know he is an amazing person and musician. I read some of the replies about making Simon uncomfortable with this poll. All I try to do on this forum is learn and help others, and I thing that Jason was a great asset here. In the end, the admin will decide what happens and if he wants to delete this thread or not. I'm sorry if I caused trouble. My intentions were pure, and maybe I didn't see all the points of view regarding starting such a poll.

Cheers!

Ramzi

http://www.youtube.com/rombsix
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 23 2012 19:33:41

XXX

RE: Would you like to have Jason McG... (in reply to Ricardo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ricardo
It ain't always about money man.

Yeah, its also about sharing with others and helping dedicated students to become better players.

Фламенко
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 23 2012 19:56:34

Ricardo

quote:

but I will only pay that kind of money to spend time with god, not a musician.

I think Paco charges more then THAT! Only Ruben Diaz knows I guess.

www.ricardomarlow.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 23 2012 20:25:10

kudo

quote:

Only Ruben Diaz knows I guess.
ROFL

YES I WANT MCGUIRE BACK

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 23 2012 20:39:35

Mark2

75.00 for an audience with the almightly? Sign me up!

Seriously, what some folks might not understand is that normal rates for labor by the hour simply do not apply to musicians because musicians don't get 40 hours a week of work, or paid holidays and sick pay, etc. Not to mention SS benefits, so although 75. an hour sounds like a lot of money, it really isn't.
I employ tradesmen in a small business. The gross wage is 62.32 an hour for regular time. Plus SS and worker's compensation insurance. A talented motivated individual can reach journeyman status in three-four years. That can't happen with a music instructor.

A mediocre player can earn more than 75. an hour doing a background music gig. A top player is going to charge what the market will pay for his/her services.

There are many music instructors who charge more, and many who charge less. Six hours of lessons in a day-I can't see how either the instructor or student could benefit or want that kind of arrangement, but if both parties agree, so be it.

A trip to the promised land, including food, lessons, and a place to stay is closer to 5k.

As far as Jason, I saw him play maybe 15 years ago, and it took me no time at all to decide I wanted to study with him. He's a great player and teacher. In an hour he, as well as most pros, can give most players enough to chew on for quite some time.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shawn Brock

Ricardo,

Having the experience of giving lessons I know how tiring it can be, especially when someone don't get what you are trying to teach them. I also know that time goes faster when you are working with someone who wants to learn and can make steady progress.

As for if he should discount his time, that's subjective and all depends on the person. Think of it this way, if someone offers you a gig across the country, would you charge them the same price per night if they were hiring you for 3 nights, or would you discount your nightly rate? Most professionals I have ever worked with including myself tend to cut the rate when its more than one engagement. As I said, people need to do what ever they want to do, but I will only pay that kind of money to spend time with god, not a musician. That's about a third of the price as a good trip to Spain, and I would value that experience more... But that's just me. I know classical guitar professors who get half of that per hour, but people can charge what they want... We have traveled off topic, and I'm sure that's my doing...
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 23 2012 21:01:40

FredSanford

quote:

man...that is extreme. 2hrs can be exhausting to teach unless your job is only teaching and even still, with just one (possibly annoying just kidding) guy that you just met??? Then you ask his fee and think he is driving up the price or something.

he stopped teaching privately last year except for the wiz kid. he had been teaching privates in the Bay Area for 14 years and needed a break from it. there is some rumor going around about him working in some capacity with SF Conservatory and/or UC Davis. He shared a concert billing over the weekend with David Tannebaum and after Maestro Tannebaum played he took a seat in the front row right in front of McGuire and seemed to really enjoy the show, so it would make sense if he were actually invited to share his perspective to these institutions given Tannebaum is the chair of the guitar department and is quite adventurous in his approach to music and repertoire.

kind of a funny thought. like the Big Lubowski lecturing on quantum physics

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 23 2012 21:10:36

Doitsujin

Man here is a lot going on..much activity. I like that!! Keep going guys!
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 23 2012 22:44:44

kudo

RE: Would you like to have Jason McG... (in reply to Doitsujin

quote:

Man here is a lot going on..much activity. I like that!! Keep going guys!
funny as always doit . I really dont understand why some people are against having Jason back? like seriously wtf?? we are men , not kids and women who hold feelings or **** like that.... someone is probably gonna hate me for this now. LIFE IS SHORT at the end, Jason might be dead after 1 minute, YOU might might be dead in 1 minute, whats the point of fighting and hating if all of us can die anytime, anywhere for no reason?? theres no room for such silly things if you want to be happy in your life. someone who is full of hate or holds grudge against people can not be TRULY happy in this world even if he/she were a millionaire or was the best player in history!!
anyways, thats my point of view of things.
Had i been active in this forum before Jason was banned, I would have probably left after he got banned.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 23 2012 22:51:23

FredSanford

RE: Would you like to have Jason McG... (in reply to estebanana

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 23 2012 22:55:35

kudo

FredSanford , sometimes i dont understand the relationship between videos and topics that are being discussed, sorry, but what are you trying to say?

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 23 2012 22:58:20

RE: Would you like to have Jason McG... (in reply to FredSanford

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 23 2012 23:02:52

FredSanford

RE: Would you like to have Jason McG... (in reply to kudo

quote:

FredSanford , sometimes i dont understand the relationship between videos and topics that are being discussed, sorry, but what are you trying to say?

What AlVal said..... above. Basically, these videos are well known comedies that many including myself have peed ourselves watching in the past and we are drawing correlations with these video clips and this discussion. Estebana's post above if a reference to the Monty Python clip I posted. Its just good old fashioned bong smoking fun for guys of a certain older generation.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 23 2012 23:17:45

Adam

Not voting on this. Jason clearly wasn't banned because foro users don't want him, he was banned because he caused the admins headaches and, if I recall correctly, potential legal hassles. If Simon and Jason want to work out something, then it would of course be a good thing for us plebs, but it's not right for the users to try to push the admin's hand when he's poured blood, sweat, tears, and hard-earned quid into the site.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 24 2012 0:17:31

Elie

kudo I like your attitude man

I agree with you guys but maybe Ramzi created this thread to ask Simon indirectly ... " Are you ok with Jason back to the forum ? "

anyway I partially remember what happened here ... the cause was the presence of that Corey pretending he is a professor or something ... some of us attacked him ( I was the first one calling him a " Joke " ) and Jason pushed the argument little bit further as I remember

so according to what i mentioned I guess that banning Corey was enough ? and would have solved the problem ... maybe

anyway i'm half asleep not sure what i wrote above

http://www.youtube.com/user/GuitarristaAD
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 24 2012 0:45:12

marduk

RE: Would you like to have Jason McG... (in reply to rombsix

I have always enjoyed his posts here at the foro. it would be nice to see him here again
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 24 2012 1:23:06

chester

RE: Would you like to have Jason McG... (in reply to marduk

I think Jason was a nuisance and ruined this foro. Sure he gave some tips and prizes but that was just to distract the rest of us from his ANNOYING posts.

Also, $75 an hour?!? What can this guy teach that isn't available in a book?
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 24 2012 1:53:01

FredSanford

RE: Would you like to have Jason McG... (in reply to chester

quote:

I think Jason was a nuisance and ruined this foro.

Finally, an intelligent reply.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 24 2012 1:57:16

estebanana

as for 75 per hour- Jason's hour usually lasts an hour and half. And you're welcome to take lessons with someone cheaper, but I don't know anyone good these days who is not charging between 60 and 100 and hour - for any one who is a musician of note.

I took some cello lessons for 110.00 per hour which was a 50 minute hour- glad I took them. Top people cost top dollar.

https://www.stephenfaulkguitars.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 24 2012 2:26:49

KMMI77

RE: Would you like to have Jason McG... (in reply to chester

quote:

What can this guy teach that isn't available in a book?

Aire, rhythmical pulsation, soniquette....etc

The important stuff that books can't exemplify.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 24 2012 2:26:58

Doitsujin

RE: Would you like to have Jason McG... (in reply to FredSanford

quote:

I think Jason was a nuisance and ruined this foro.

nah.. thats my job!! :(( ^^
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 24 2012 2:31:26

FredSanford

RE: Would you like to have Jason McG... (in reply to estebanana

quote:

I took some cello lessons for 110.00 per hour which was a 50 minute hour- glad I took them. Top people cost top dollar.

Cellists need 110 an hour to teach because the Mexican restaurants never hire cellists. Flamenco guitarists however do get hired often in Mexican restaurants and that is why 75 is way too much.

I think if someone calls and wants to come into your home for 6 hours straight and in the process of asking makes the implication that they could learn all you know in 6 hours, the price should go way up. I say he's lucky he got any reply at all.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 24 2012 2:39:27
Page:   <<   <   1 [2] 3 4 5    >   >>
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: <<   <   1 [2] 3 4 5    >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post