Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

RE: The internet is in danger!   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>Off Topic >> Page: <<   <   1 [2] 3    >   >>
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

mezzo

RE: The internet is in danger! (in reply to Elie

at least i found one happy angry supportive

"The most important part of Flamenco is not in knowing how to interpret it. The higher art is in knowing how to listen." (Luis Agujetas)
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 20 2012 8:50:19

Elie

RE: The internet is in danger! (in reply to mezzo

quote:

at least i found one happy angry supportive

that guy has serious issues

http://www.youtube.com/user/GuitarristaAD
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 20 2012 9:09:18

mezzo

quote:

that guy has serious issues

as i understand he's a communist

and like Bill he doesn't like Wikipedia

"The most important part of Flamenco is not in knowing how to interpret it. The higher art is in knowing how to listen." (Luis Agujetas)
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 20 2012 9:20:30

Arash

somehow i like this guy

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 20 2012 9:29:21

BarkellWH

quote:

and like Bill he doesn't like Wikipedia

It's not that I don't "like" Wikipedia, Mezzo; its just that I find it a poor resource for serious research because it is often wrong or misleading. Yes, it gets it right, too. But contributors are generally not serious scholars of the subject, and if I were grading a paper in which the author used Wikipedia as a source, I would give it a failing grade.

Cheers,

Bill

And the end of the fight is a tombstone white,
With the name of the late deceased,
And the epitaph drear, "A fool lies here,
Who tried to hustle the East."

--Rudyard Kipling
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 20 2012 13:45:48

Ricardo

RE: The internet is in danger! (in reply to XXX

quote:

But that is no reason to say its not useful, and not extremely extremely important for other artists.

Man I never said it was not useful. I just said it ain't the end of the world like folks are making it out to be. We can still do even illegal sharing if we MUST without any internet. Anyway, my main point is that it is wide open to too many idiots to do as they please. Look at youtube....great idea and super useful. Now...look at all the comments.....what a mess. Those folks should not be allowed on line unless they meet some sort of basic standards. I mean a 13 yr old cussing out a knowledgeable elderly gentleman is normal now a days online. In real life, that aint gonna happen.

After all the great knowledge sharing and great world wide publicity potential, what I see is a bunch of unnecessary bickering and ill feelings instigating and retaliating all across the board. At some point it needs to stop I would hope. Simple face to face meetings of individuals would put it in perspective, but people seem to feel empowered behind a keyboard.

CD's and transcriptions available here:
www.ricardomarlow.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 20 2012 14:02:29

Ruphus

RE: The internet is in danger! (in reply to Ricardo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ricardo

At some point it needs to stop I would hope.

If I see that right, things have already improved considerably.
At least in view of my personal experience with the way things used to be for instance on audio forums.

It used to be a complete mess, mainly by teenies who would heftily misuse the cyber condition for blatant misbehaviour.
( Some got challenged for it and kicked in the butt physically.)

Over time however constructive and friendly exchange of reasonable participants appears to have influenced the overall temper of the communities ( much better than any stale censoring could ) and given example to some of the young.

In the end; after stupidity and loss of behavioural landmarks, everyone is better up with friendly association.
-

Besides, I do not consider the internet to be all that unreal.

I have been succesfully relying on internet chaps ( sent thousands of EUR to individuals I had never seen in person, without the cash been misused), just as I have been failing with recognizing true low-life in "real life".

In fact, it appears as if there can be figured quite some through correspondence, if participants go deep enough into matters and opinion over time.

Ruphus
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 20 2012 15:27:10

rombsix

quote:

a7la shee el "lulz" bel a5er lulz

Ramzi

http://www.youtube.com/rombsix
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 20 2012 17:16:41

chester

quote:

Man I never said it was not useful. I just said it ain't the end of the world like folks are making it out to be. We can still do even illegal sharing if we MUST without any internet..

I see you're still missing the point. Illegal sharing? Youtube comments? Is that what you think the internet is all about? Do you think that the effort by the government to censor the internet is to get people to go outside and meet face to face?

The internet was not created so you can sell your CDs and let people know about your weekly gig at Raymond's Lounge. Just like life - it's way, way bigger than that.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 20 2012 17:45:31

chester

quote:

ORIGINAL: Elie

although those laws seems to be so powerful but personally I don't think they will be able to control piracy completly ... man hackers are all over the web ... p2p apps such as LimeWire are spread like crazy ... torrents and emule project etc .....
I really doubt they will be able to control all that

Yea Elie I agree. It will be like the 'war' on drugs here. No one will stop but people will start getting hurt and going to jail.

I don't think anyone thinks that they'll end piracy but it's more of an ego thing with the copyright industry. They feel like '****ty little kids' are 'stealing' when in fact sometimes it's easier to get a pirated copy of something then it is to hunt down the legal version and buy it legitimately (like Ricardo's tabs =P).

Just make things easier to buy online and I'm pretty sure most people will do the right thing.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 20 2012 17:54:17

XXX

quote:

I mean a 13 yr old cussing out a knowledgeable elderly gentleman is normal now a days online. In real life, that aint gonna happen.

I know what you mean, its very apparent on the net, but still i think it could happen in real life too. If its the same person who likes to curse online then he probably does it offline too. The difference is just that online there are faaar more youngsters than what you and probably we all are used to from offline life. I dont think the internet changes how people are, its just a different social environment all together, one of the reason being the young age of the users i think.

Фламенко
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 20 2012 17:54:39

Richard Jernigan

...a different take on one of the ills of the internet:

It is by now a cliche that communication by text alone suffers severely from the lack of non-verbal cues.

This was emphasized for me by a very pleasurable experience. Last weekend Larisa and I saw the movie "The Artist". It is a modern, 21st century silent film. It has maybe a half-dozen captions where it is crucial that the audience know exactly what was said. But all the rest of the story is conveyed with body language only, using the "vocabulary" of the silent films before the 1930s.

The film immediately captures the viewer and deeply engages the emotions. It is an exhilarating experience. The positive experience of seeing how much can be conveyed by body language alone, emphasizes how much is missing from attempts to communicate by text.

Yes, there are plenty of 13-year old dweebs, 20-year old morons and 60-year old conspiracy theorists cluttering up the net. But I think there were just about as many back in my younger days before the internet.

In those days in Texas, you would likely be asked to go outside and defend yourself if you behaved the way many do now on the net. Or you might just have been embarrassed into better manners by the reaction the net insulates the idiots from.

I think there was just about as much bullsh1t in circulation in the pre-internet days. People were just more careful about what they said in public.

I highly recommend the movie "The Artist". It's an uplifting story. It just won the Golden Globe awards of "best movie" and "best actor". The Jack Russell terrier "Uggie" should have gotten an award as well!

As for piracy, clearly SOPA and PIPA were terribly defective bills. Unless, of course Hollywood's objective really was just to cripple the net. They would have worked well for that.

Steve Jobs was right when he saw that giving people an honest, easy to use alternative to pirating music in iTunes would quickly grow into a huge business, and largely suppress piracy.

RNJ
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 20 2012 22:01:02

rombsix

RE: The internet is in danger! (in reply to Richard Jernigan

quote:

I saw the movie "The Artist". It is a modern,

He Richard - seeing as to how meticulous you are with grammar and spelling, and how great a writer you are all-around, I just thought I'd share with you what I know about ending a sentence with quotation marks.

I have learned that your usage above is wrong because it should go as follows instead:

... I saw the movie "The Artist." It is a modern, ...

Meaning, the period (or other punctuation for that matter) should go INSIDE the quotation marks rather than outside them.

Cheers amigo!

Ramzi

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 20 2012 22:18:16

Estevan

RE: The internet is in danger! (in reply to rombsix

quote:

I have learned that your usage above is wrong because it should go as follows instead:

And if you take an editing class (or look here) you will learn that the way Richard wrote it is also correct. It depends on the "style sheet" used in your publishing house, institution, or country. His is (broadly speaking) British style, yours is Chicago.
Sorry, but.

(Ending a sentence with "but" is good Yinglish, by the way.)

But back to internet censorship; anybody miss Flamencoapaloseco.blogspot?

Me da igual. La música es música.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 20 2012 22:41:09

Ricardo

RE: The internet is in danger! (in reply to chester

quote:

I see you're still missing the point. Illegal sharing? Youtube comments? Is that what you think the internet is all about? Do you think that the effort by the government to censor the internet is to get people to go outside and meet face to face?

The govts of the world, most of em, can do whatever they want. They have nukes and power and guns. they can destroy the entire world in blink of an eye if they want. Yet...being scared about losing internet surfing options does not seem to be such a big deal to me in bigger picture, sorry. Am I missing something else here? Like the bill wont' let me pay bills on line or check email? Seems most people on line are more concerned about losing their quick ease entertainments then bigger picture.

So far I did not here about anything in the bill that directly affects my life other then the entertainment areas.

CD's and transcriptions available here:
www.ricardomarlow.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 20 2012 22:51:17

Pgh_flamenco

quote:

I saw the movie "The Artist." It is a modern, ...

Richard is correct. When text is quoted using proper conventions it is possible to reconstruct an original document from the quotes. Modern journalistic style is typically colloquial and even a bit lazy. The internet hasn't helped much either in this regard.

Esteven, did you have an issue with one of your fingernails? If so has it healed?

On topic: Have no fear--as long as Al Gore is alive the internet will be safe.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 20 2012 23:14:57

XXX

Who builds the nukes and who is electing the politicians to decide about building nukes? I find it to be a common mistake to assume that the govts do things their people do not want. Of course it cant be in their interest to let things like nukes, environmental damages, economic crisis' threaten their lifes, but they are captured in certain ways of thinking, which includes accumulating property and contributing to their nations wealth and power, and certainly not world peace or something like that. The economic interests of nations contradict each other, as each nations aims to get powerful and surpress every other. Even Europe, which is oh so famous for economic cooperation and piece, is falling apart just because this very fact that every nation only cares for itself.

Фламенко
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 20 2012 23:26:28

Pgh_flamenco

SOPA, PIPA Postponed Indefinitely (in reply to mezzo

Looks like SOPA, PIPA are dead:

http://money.cnn.com/2012/01/20/technology/SOPA_PIPA_postponed/index.htm?iid=SF_T_LN

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 21 2012 0:02:00

BarkellWH

quote:

Even Europe, which is oh so famous for economic cooperation and piece, is falling apart just because this very fact that every nation only cares for itself.

Wrong, Deniz! Europe is falling apart (at least the southern tier: Greece, Italy, Spain, and to an extent Portugal), not because "every nation only cares for itself." Rather, Europe (the southern tier) is falling apart because it promised its public too much in terms of social welfare, and it borrowed far more on the international market than it could pay for in order to finance this bloated social welfare policy. Europe (Greece, Italy, Spain, and Portuigal) is now paying the price of unsustainable public spending and borrowing.

And the end of the fight is a tombstone white,
With the name of the late deceased,
And the epitaph drear, "A fool lies here,
Who tried to hustle the East."

--Rudyard Kipling
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 21 2012 0:02:41

Doitsujin

quote:

then the entertainment areas.

That actually IS your life ;)
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 21 2012 0:42:03

rombsix

RE: The internet is in danger! (in reply to Estevan

quote:

And if you take an editing class (or look here) you will learn that the way Richard wrote it is also correct. It depends on the "style sheet" used in your publishing house, institution, or country. His is (broadly speaking) British style, yours is Chicago.

Wow! I had no clue my friend. Thanks for point that out!

Ramzi

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 21 2012 0:52:33

rombsix

http://usdoj.s3-website-us-east-1.amazonaws.com/

Ramzi

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 21 2012 1:03:27

Doitsujin

RE: The internet is in danger! (in reply to Doitsujin

quote:

quote:

Ricardo: then the entertainment areas.

Doit:That actually IS your life ;)

And that area is where the money is... just imagine to shut that down.. thats about billions of $ and lost jobs over and over... that would hinder business massively..
And the major people who are for the bills are from the movie and music industry who are affected by piracy.
But billions of people would be affected by these bills. The music and movie people are actually nothing against all the other side.

Another funny thing is..these bills are mainly made to affect main piracy website like megaupload and others..but there have been analists who looked at these bills...and they said..the bills wouldn´t even affect these websites...so the people who made these bills have no idea what they are doing. They have no idea about the technology the culture ...of anything regarding the internet...
Ther were millions of people in the last 6month telling ..these bills make no sense.. they are counterproductive. But the politicians didnt listen.. thats ridiculous.
Why do you think you almost never heard in the main stream media like cnn.com and so on about these bills?? Almost never..but only over the last couple of weeks..? Coz main stream media is owned by the motion picture association ... the same people who promote the bills are the people who control the news. Thats the reason why you dont hear anything bad about the bills in the news.
Even white house is against these bills .. they said..the bills are to general..
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 21 2012 1:25:12

Richard Jernigan

quote:

ORIGINAL: rombsix

He Richard - seeing as to how meticulous you are with grammar and spelling, and how great a writer you are all-around, I just thought I'd share with you what I know about ending a sentence with quotation marks.

Meaning, the period (or other punctuation for that matter) should go INSIDE the quotation marks rather than outside them.

Cheers amigo!

I put the period inside when it is part of what is quoted, outside when it is not:

Sally said, "I'm going to see the movie, 'The Artist'."

It has been at least twenty years since I consulted any handbook of style, but thank you for your concern for stylistic purity.

RNJ
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 21 2012 2:07:36

rombsix

RE: The internet is in danger! (in reply to Richard Jernigan

quote:

but thank you for your concern for stylistic purity.

Ramzi

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 21 2012 4:08:46

Elie

look who's on your side ramzi

http://www.youtube.com/user/GuitarristaAD
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 21 2012 4:45:35

rombsix

quote:

Ruben rules! (he's actually blocked me on FB for some reason, but I still like him)

Ramzi

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 21 2012 7:21:16

mezzo

So the doc changes nationality?

Personnaly I came across some biographical info about the owner of Megaupload. This fat crook disguts me. I'm very glad that I never ever gave him 1 cent.
I don't say I never use his website service btw
I'll not cry because he and his colleagues will be on the wagon.

quote:

But back to internet censorship; anybody miss Flamencoapaloseco.blogspot?

Yes me. I came across with so many stuff that I'd never listen coz of the out of print, the lack of money...
But one could find it anyway. Try it with : flamencoasecas
That's mean that if one site close, ten others will take their place.

Maybe some people are very angry coz they subscibe a megaup premium account to fatten the Dotcom scoundrel. But hey take it easy it's just $ and you'll be able to ddl many stuff via others site

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 21 2012 8:49:09

Arash

quote:

ORIGINAL: Elie

just because of this, you HAVE TO be for SOPA and PIPA now

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 21 2012 8:52:20

Ruphus

quote:

ORIGINAL: mezzo

Personnaly I came across some biographical info about the owner of Megaupload.

He must be having some excellent connection, seing how he would be left alone and in the end still got away with just the minimum of sentence to only still the public eye. Yet, I suppose that he spent his time in prison with services like a prince.

Should his connex not suffice to keep New Zealand officials from surrendering him to the US, he might be threatened with up to 50 years of jail over there. Unless, his protectors know someone in the US.

Ruphus
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 21 2012 9:59:45
Page:   <<   <   1 [2] 3    >   >>
All Forums >>Discussions >>Off Topic >> Page: <<   <   1 [2] 3    >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote