Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

The soundport thread   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>Lutherie >> Page: [1] 2    >   >>
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

Anders Eliasson

The soundport thread 

A pretext:

The idea of this thread is to make a possitive discussion of soundports. I would like some input from other members which are building or using soundports. I have some questions myself and I´m sure others will have to.

Blog: http://news-from-the-workshop.blogspot.com/
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 3 2011 8:10:36

Anders Eliasson

RE: The soundport thread (in reply to Anders Eliasson

On topic.

I´ve been building and playing guitars with soundports for some 3+ years now. I still build guitars without soundports and have absolutely no problems with that.

My own experience has been very positive. I find that a port only makes a good guitar better. I dont think that it makes it louder overall. The listener wont get an input which is very different. But the player gets a lot more input. For me, this means that the guitar feels more lively. It feels bigger with more volume and since you as a player can hear what comes out of both the soundhole and the soundport, it gives you a kind of stereo or surround feeling which I personally find very inspiring. Also when playing in noisy environments, what I call "real" flamenco situations like Spanish bars and peñas, the soundport is really a good thing to have. I can hear myself a lot better and I dont have to overpower the guitar in order to hear myself. It also makes tuning the guitar a lot easyer.

Since this is a pretty new tendency in flamenco guitar building, I would like to know other builders and players experience with ports. There are so many fators:
*what are the negative sideeffects (if any)
*Size and placement of the port
*finetuning the guitar
* whatever... Just shoot

I will stop here. I dont want to add all my thoughts at this moment. I prefer this thread to hear others thoughts and later add my experiences and hopefully we´ll all learn something more.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 3 2011 8:22:03

El Kiko

A very interesting thread , Although not so good for Mr Blackshear who you really invite to defend himself here...however.
I was considering putting a sound port in an old guitar I have and am experimenting with , or will be next year,
I also was wondering about optimum size and placement of the sound port.
I think that it is purely for the player , so the sound comes striaght out of the guitar into your ear, and not out the front and reflected back ,
This is a bit like the opposite of those Ovation guitars with the round fiber backs (steel string , remember thoses?) well I had one years a go and that design was for the projection of sound to the listener , but not really for the player at all.
So I feel that , in theory , the sound port is for the player but will have little or no effect for the listener.
However for the player it should increase volume , I dont know what effect size has , perhaps it lets more of the lower frequencies through.

Don't trust Atoms.....they make up everything.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 3 2011 13:32:31

at_leo_87

my experience with soundports was with a cheap factory. but still, i got a general idea of the effects of soundports.

as far as i or anyone else could tell, there was no discernible difference in front of the guitar.

from the player's perspective, there was more bass. and the trebles had a bit more "fullness" to them. and slightly more volume overall. but this was with a guitar that already lacked bass.

when i got a navarro, the bass was already strong, the guitar was loud (to the point where i couldn't hear others sometimes), and i was already low on funds so i didn't feel like putting in soundports.

during loud gigs, i often have a hard time hearing myself. maybe a soundport would help but i feel like it wouldn't be enough. and the issue is that most of the times, i can hear the basses fine, but it's the highs that dont reach my ears.

i already posted this link before but i'll post it again because i think it really captured what i heard from the soundports:
http://www.foroflamenco.com/tm.asp?m=114322&appid=&p=1&mpage=1&key=&tmode=1&smode=1&s=#114327

i wasn't hesitant to drill a hole into my cheap guitar. and the effects were positive with that guitar.

but i just wouldn't know what it would do to my new guitar. would there be too much bass? too much volume?

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 3 2011 14:24:37

Andy Culpepper

The best way to test soundports would involve blindfolded (or blind) people. Internet tests no matter how good the microphones do not count. Personal anecdotes do not count because the placebo or suggestibility effect is extremely strong especially when it comes to our senses.
You have to have a pluggable hole and hand the guitar to the person several times with it randomly plugged and unplugged and have them mark down each time what it was.

Personally I do believe that soundports would probably offer an improvement as far as feedback to the player. But I don't know what effect adding that other hole has on the overall sound. It might be similar to what would happen if you enlarged the soundhole.
Anyway I'm going to make one soon and find out for myself

Andy Culpepper, luthier
http://www.andyculpepper.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 3 2011 14:40:51

elroby

[Deleted] 

Post has been moved to the Recycle Bin at May 5 2012 4:17:43
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 3 2011 16:12:07

Gimar Yestra

I can imagine soundports being a advantage to players who play for themselves in the livingroom mostly, they don't need that forward projection as much as a player who plays for an audience.

i think they can create a very interesting visual aspect to guitars.

Only flamenco with a soundport ive played was a Ander cypress/cedar top, i realy liked the guitar, but im sure i'd like it just as much if i would not have a soundport :-)

also Andy, nice avatar!

www.yestragitaarbouw.nl
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 3 2011 16:39:49

Anders Eliasson

Thanks for your replys.

I´ll give my view to some of aspects that has been raised so far and I hope others with experience in building and using soundports will chime in.

Rico Kiko. The size and placement is what I find to be the most interesting point. And it depends a bit on how you sit with the guitar. When you put the port directly under your head, the input from the port is very strong and you hear that hole more than the soundhole. When you place the port far from your head is vica versa. I personally make a round port some 35mm diameter and the inlayed ones bigger. I´ve been experimenting with ports where the center on the hole was 10cm from the heel and untill 15cm. Those I build right now are 11cm but I could end up with 12cm.
I hope Stephen has some thoughts about this (or others) because he builds really large ports sometimes

Tony, It surprises me what you write about only getting bass out of the port. I´m not experiencing that. The sound might be a bit fuller, but I clearly hear the trebles. Very clearly indeed.

Andy. Blindtesting could be interesting, but using the inputs from many users and builders are also very interesting. How many guitars have you built with soundports?

ElRoby. I understand what you write about the pretext. And I´m considering deleting that part. BUT, I´m not writing about a someone but putting a name on that someone. This guy has been totally destructive when we´ve discussed things like soundports over the years. And i¨m personally totally fed up with his bullying and his turning all discussions to be about him and his way of doing things. What would you do in my situation? Not making this thread, Just shut up and walk away?

Gimar. I dont agree. On the contrary. If you only play alone in your sofa or bedroom, the port is less important. Its when you get out in noisy real time environments that it gives a real change. But I still prefer a ported guitar when playing alone. It feels more lively. more fun.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 3 2011 17:13:20

Andy Culpepper

quote:

How many guitars have you built with soundports?

None! But that is soon to change I hope. I'm getting very curious about it now.

heh thanks Gimar

Andy Culpepper, luthier
http://www.andyculpepper.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 3 2011 18:41:25

Don Dionisio

I would be curious as to feedback (from using a microphone) in a
live situation. Does the extra hole cause the guitar to produce more
feedback?
Personally, I'm not sold on soundports; although, I like the idea that
the extra hole is there for the players enjoyment. (There's something
rather erotic about what I just wrote, eh?)
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 3 2011 19:19:43

Florian

RE: The soundport thread (in reply to Don Dionisio

quote:

I would be curious as to feedback (from using a microphone) in a
live situation. Does the extra hole cause the guitar to produce more
feedback?

if u mean feedback as in that nasty noise u get in live situation from wrong placement of the speakers and mic than the answer is no, it dosent change any of that

I love the sound port still, i cant really remember what its like without cause its been a while ( i am proud to say i after, Jason, Grisha, Anders, i think i was atleast the 4th or 5th one here to get one, defenetly first in flamenco in Australia) the statement that it makes a good guitar better is true, makes any guitar better than what it already was..in my experience (to you !)..i was so excited i remember sharing with everyone and convincing a few people to get em

the volume perhaps wont be louder ...or maybe it is or gives that precption (to you)...i dont know... but the sound is more stereo, coming at you from 2 directions and most importantly to me......it makes your guitar fell more alive, more responsive, more vibrating in your hands, u feel the vibration of every note in the body of the guitar...i love it when a guitar does that!!!..

i hate it when u play a note and besides sound there's absolutely nothing else...cant feel anything in the body...

one thing i know for sure...there's nothing negative about a soundport, dosent detract anything out of what u already had weather u feel the difference or not( which u will, its hard not too, i remember first time i played it after putting the soundport in, it was like wow) .....

the only downside is...the hole in you guitar...its a big commitment, i get that...do i want a hole in my guitar....is it worth it for me for the possibility that it might sound better...do i wanna sell this after......everyone has to decide for themselves, for me absolutely, best thing i ever did, i got this thing to play it...not to sell after...if a little hole can increase my experience by even just a couple of nudges ( and to me it does...by alot more then just a couple) ...why the hell not

quote:

I can imagine soundports being a advantage to players who play for themselves in the livingroom mostly

it works in everything...i enjoy it especially in dance classes, i play unamplified over 20 or 30 dancers at one time...rehearsals etc...

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 3 2011 20:04:25

TANúñez

I built a guitar with a soundport a few years back around the time Anders started doing it and we the forum, began many many discussions on the topic. I had never played a guitar with soundport so I decided to build one to experiment for myself.

The guitar itself came out very nice. I was please with it. With the port, it allowed me to hear the instrument in a way I had never been able to. The only way I could explain what I mean is like if you were to compare a regular TV to an HD TV. I could hear the details and sounds better if that makes any sense. However, it did not make the guitar better in any way. It only helped me, the player, hear the instrument better. It was a nice experience but not enough to make me decide to put ports in everything.

I do understand the concept of it and when it's all said and done, I believe it is more of a personal choice. Do you the player, want to hear the notes better, or is what you hear from an un-ported guitar enough for you?

What I do not understand is when builders also install a port on the lower bout. Where your leg would be. What is the point of that? I believe it serves no purpose as no one, the player nor the audience benefits from that.

Tom Núñez
www.instagram.com/tanunezguitars
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 3 2011 20:31:26

Gimar Yestra

how about i cut a soundport in ym guitar once its compeltely finished and played in?? that would mmake a good reference right?? :D I'm not planning to sell my first blanca anyway

www.yestragitaarbouw.nl
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 3 2011 20:37:09

Florian

RE: The soundport thread (in reply to TANúñez

thats a good point TANúñez made, that's important to know..and to remind

Soundport makes the guitar better ..to you...not to anyone else...but then again...its hard to know how everyone else hears you, with soundport or without isn't it ? our perception of how good something is, is formed on what we hear, what our ears tell us daily, ......so if the soundport is lying to you...i love being lied to that way...

and my fav feature is not even necessarily the sound..its how it makes you guitar feel ....more responsive, u feel every note, every pull off...i like that...thats not a perception...it makes the guitar feel more responsive..one feels the vibration of every note and every action in the body...its really nice when u do a rasqueado or picado scale and besides the sound u feel the vibration of it against you body ( some guitars will do that anyway) this amplifies it

I am absolutely 101% a soundport guy

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 3 2011 20:37:26

estebanana

I cut a pasted this from that Infamous thread. ...Basically I say this:

The first one I made with a sound part was in 2007. It was a happy accident. The rib cracked in the exact spot where you would put the soundport, so I cut out the crack and re enforced the sides behind it. I've never looked back about making them with soundports. Antonio Moya and Jason played that guitar an loved it, that clinched it for me.

They give the player more of the sound that is out front of the guitar. When you are behind the guitar you can't hear it the same way a person 5 feet in front hears it.

Soundports don't always give a mass volume increase in every guitar. I have noticed it can change the volume and I have made a few REALLY loud guitars with soundports. In fact Brian Moran's is so loud I'm waiting for him to sue me for hearing damage.

Sound ports don't always change the projection of the guitar. I also think that the guitar has to be good first without the soundport in order for the port to do anything to make the guitar respond to the port. A bad guitar is a bad guitar with or without a port.

Essentially I use the port in the guitar for the player to hear more of the overtones in the guitar and to give the player a richer more complex sound under the ear. The by products are some increase in overall sound and also a kind of openness to the way the harmonics are heard in front of the guitar.

Some players have noted it is easy to get seduced by the sound under your ear, and that they have to work harder to keep vigilant about what the audience in hearing. That seems like an issue not all players would have, depending on how they play.

The sound port is not going to go away, it's an option and i moderates how the guitar sounds. If we can keep working with it and its done right it does add a positive element to the guitar. It's not an either or proposition as in all against or all for the sound port. I hope guitarists learn that it is not a panecea or cure all, a sound port will not make bad guitar turn into a great guitar. But on the other hand a sound port will enhance certain qualities on the guitar.

Like anything else you design into a guitar it has variables depending on the wood the guitar is made of, the main air resonance of the top, the size and placement of the sound port in relation to the size of the front sound hole. Where you place the Soundport has a relationship with how air moves though the instrument. Even the people who study guitar acoustics have not figured it all out yet.

Jason once had a very good in sight on the sound port: He said think of a bamboo flute. If blow through it before you put the first hole in it, the column of air in the flute makes a lower pitch. When you drill the first hole and blow through it again the pitch rises. You changed the air column in the flute. When you think about a guitar and an extra hole you're changing the air column in the guitar, you have to get it in the right place at the right diameter to make the guitar play at it's optimum with that extra hole.

Lucky for us non immortal guitar makers the Gods of Guitar Making have experimented enough before us to give us some rough guidelines to use and work with. And I agree with Anders you can make a hole in the guitar later, but a god guitar will pretty much be a good guitar and great guitar will pretty much be great guitar, but it will have that extra presence of harmonics that comes with the soundport concept. To me the sound port does not radically change the character of the guitar, it just accentuates certain parts of that character more.

https://www.stephenfaulkguitars.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 3 2011 21:10:47

XXX

Images are resized automatically to a maximum width of 800px

Фламенко
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 3 2011 21:19:14

jaggedsphere

RE: The soundport thread (in reply to XXX

quote:

Jason once had a very good in sight on the sound port: He said think of a bamboo flute. If blow through it before you put the first hole in it, the column of air in the flute makes a lower pitch. When you drill the first hole and blow through it again the pitch rises. You changed the air column in the flute. When you think about a guitar and an extra hole you're changing the air column in the guitar, you have to get it in the right place at the right diameter to make the guitar play at it's optimum with that extra hole.

I'm no luthier but I did at one point a number of years ago begin reading books and watching DVDs on the subject of acoustic guitars. So I'll go ahead and hazard a guess.

But what I think is along the lines of what Faulk mentioned above. Granted, the sound port does 'push' air to the player(thus acting as a sort of personal 'monitor'). This aside, I would like to know more about the behaviour of the air on the inside of the guitar as it is being played. How much pressure the vibration of the strings cause on the air inside of the guitar and if there is a maximum amount of air that the soundboard can push through this hole. You see? What I mean is that if the air chamber inside the instrument can only push air out at a certain rate then this could hamper the soundboard's capability to move(as it is being countered by the 'cushion' of air inside the guitar)
Is anyone here an aerodynamics expert and can debunk or re-phrase my hypothesis?

PS, I played my first sound port guitar many years ago at 12th Fret in Toronto. It was a steel string with a very small sort of oblong ellipse for it's main sound hole. In fact, this instrument had TWO side ports. So it was in STEREO! After leaving the store that day I called it 'The most pleasurable playing experience of my life'. So IOW I am a keener on the idea of side sound ports. But the question remains is how a side port can effect the overall character of the instrument. It's tough to quantify this stuff methinks!
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 3 2011 23:06:42

Sean

I think some makers get a little nervous about screwing up a good guitar by putting a port in it, I know I still am a little bit. I had an experimental guitar kicking around that I made a couple years back just to try out new ideas on, I ported it a few months back, I ported the hell out of it lol. Now since I didn't care about wrecking this particular guitar I had a chance to see how far things would go and dare I say the hole ended up Andalusional in size by the time I was done. So what did I learn from this guitar? First guitars with soundports are very cool to play, being able to hear what other people do can only benefit your playing, its kinda like people singing and not knowing how bad they are till they hear their voice recorded. On the size issue at least in the case of this guitar it seemed to be self limiting, once the hole reached a certain size nothing more was gained or lost by increasing it and I went pretty large just to see what would happen, covering back up some of the hole made no change to what I could hear. This particular guitar was a smaller Santos size plantilla and I wonder if a soundport would have the same dramatic effect on a much larger bodied guitar like I make now. A soundport has a strong possibility of showing up on my current project, although a little more artistic and a little less Andalusional

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 4 2011 1:42:48

turnermoran

I have only one guitar with a sound port (Stephen's 7 string), and a bunch without, but there's no denying that the sound port works in terms of getting more sound to the player's ear.

And I can say that I've played 2 of Stephen's guitar with larger ports, and 1 with a smaller port, and the size of the port is directly proportional to the volume. Location too. in fact, the one with smaller port seems to have a very subtle effect, while my guitar with the big port sound super loud when you sit and play it.

I also think that while yes you hear more of the guitar (overtones, harmonics, etc), the port is most useful in loud situations, and those details of the sound of the guitar are lost anyway.

And when everything is quiet and controlled, you can hear the overtones of any good guitar just fine - with or without a port. Plus, when everything is quiet, there are innumerable variables that contribute to one's perception of the sound: room size, room and floor materials, acoustical things... so that's always a variable, and I don't think the port is at its most helpful.

I'm of the opinion that beyond anything, it's an amplifier for the sound for the player. And as Anders says, in "real" playing situations (audience talking, loud percussionists, etc), the extra volume from the port works. And in those situations, I think it's reasonable to expect that the port experience is about volume and little else. And that's what you need more than anything else. Who plays well when you can hardly hear yourself? Getting blisters as you hammer on the strings just to be heard?

So in summation, if you're the type of player who plays in front of polite and quiet audiences, a port is cool, but won't revolutionize your playing experience. But if in the trenches, playing amidst the chaos, the sound port is your best friend.
Anyway, that's my 2c.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 4 2011 6:46:21

Anders Eliasson

RE: The soundport thread (in reply to TANúñez

quote:

The only way I could explain what I mean is like if you were to compare a regular TV to an HD TV. I could hear the details and sounds better if that makes any sense.

Isnt it so that we pay thousands of €, $ or whatever to get a guitar with better sound and more detail. For me, the port gives me a guitar that sounds thousands of (money) better. So it inspires me more and when I´m inspired, I play better.... Its pretty simple stuff.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 4 2011 7:24:40

Anders Eliasson

SIZE AND PLACEMENT OF THE PORT

SEden has an interesting post about a guitar where he made a port and gradually made it larger. At a certain point, there were no more changes in the sound.

I have a question: ¿What was your experiences before reaching that certain point?
was there any change in what you could hear comming out of the port? Louder, more trebly, more bassy etc?

One of the things I´ve worked a lot is placement but since I only have my own taste I would like some inputs from others.
I personally dont like when the port gets to dominant. Then you end up hearing mainly the port and not so much the rest of the output of the guitar. You also loose some of this stereo effect that Florian describes with much enthusiasm. (I like your post. Very personal) So I make ports which are moderate in size and placed a little bit to the left of a player sitting in cross leg position. Thats my taste and nothing else. So what do the rest of you guys say?

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 4 2011 7:32:45

krichards

There's a consensus here about the soundport getting more sound to the player but making no difference to the audience, and I agree with that.

I've only made one soundport myself, some time ago, so I guess that tells you what I think of them.

But its good to have the option.

I'll be interested to learn what the consensus is on position and size/shape.

Kevin Richards

http://www.facebook.com/#!/kevin.richards.1048554
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 4 2011 8:03:58

odinz

I have only positive opinions on the soundport....

It is great in noisy places but, I think personally it also helps me fall into the music easier, I feel like I just float inside the music, surrounded by an ocean of sound.

I have not sensed that so completely before I got this blanca with a soundport.

I guess that is the stereo effect many talk about..

But there is something very special there for me, like there is a barrier between the player and the guitar that has become torn down, so I atleast feel more able to communicate with my instrument anywhere, not just noisy places and such.

Many people also seem to be worried about the look of the guitar with a hole in it, I like how you did it Anders, with the ornamentation, also the newer design with the dark circle around the hole looksway more appealing to me than just a hole.

About the placement, I think the way you places the soundport on my guitar was good, I dont really know any others though... But placing it so that it sits on the left side when you play makes sense,as that creates this stereo effect, but then there is also the posibility of the sweet spot for it, for example someone playing in a classical position might want the hole more closer to the heel than someone playing with the guitar completely horizontaly , I dont really know if that matters though.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 4 2011 8:12:50

rogeliocan

RE: The soundport thread (in reply to estebanana

quote:

The first one I made with a sound part was in 2007. It was a happy accident. The rib cracked in the exact spot where you would put the soundport, so I cut out the crack and re enforced the sides behind it. I've never looked back about making them with soundports. Antonio Moya and Jason played that guitar an loved it, that clinched it for me.

They give the player more of the sound that is out front of the guitar. When you are behind the guitar you can't hear it the same way a person 5 feet in front hears it.

Soundports don't always give a mass volume increase in every guitar. I have noticed it can change the volume and I have made a few REALLY loud guitars with soundports. In fact Brian Moran's is so loud I'm waiting for him to sue me for hearing damage.

Sound ports don't always change the projection of the guitar. I also think that the guitar has to be good first without the soundport in order for the port to do anything to make the guitar respond to the port. A bad guitar is a bad guitar with or without a port.

Essentially I use the port in the guitar for the player to hear more of the overtones in the guitar and to give the player a richer more complex sound under the ear. The by products are some increase in overall sound and also a kind of openness to the way the harmonics are heard in front of the guitar.

Some players have noted it is easy to get seduced by the sound under your ear, and that they have to work harder to keep vigilant about what the audience in hearing. That seems like an issue not all players would have, depending on how they play.

These are good comments.
I think there is a lot of personal judgement on the preferences of people. And what would be interesting is to know what results in what. What I mean by that is that, on the same guitar, what happens to the sound when you change or/and move the port?
What does it change to the player, and what does it change to the audience.
Does it change the actual sound, or does it change only volume? same for both listeners?

So you luthiers can do tests, would it be possible to build a guitar and have the whole top side just built with an empty frame, that is, a normal side where you have cut most of the middle of it, so the piece would look like kind of a ladder but with less bars. Then you could cover it up changing the hole as much as you want on the same guitar....

I wonder if you would come up with: when it is at x cm, it does this, at y cm it does that (for the player..... for the listener).

I take it that because all sound holes are in the front, the results are mostly aimed at the player.

Finally, doesn't a port reduce what comes out from the front? As the sound now has 2 exits it gets separated, some now goes out the side instead of the front. The player hears more but the audience hears less. To me, this would be a negative side effect.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 4 2011 12:39:20

Sean

I think what I could play around with is making the hole this big, then making a curved patch with different sized holes, this would also allow moving the hole around position wise. The only problem with these kind of experiments is the variables and the results that apply to this guitar may not be the same for a guitar with a different sized internal volume, shape, etc.

Images are resized automatically to a maximum width of 800px

Attachment (1)

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 4 2011 15:31:50

Anders Eliasson

RE: The soundport thread (in reply to rogeliocan

quote:

Finally, doesn't a port reduce what comes out from the front? As the sound now has 2 exits it gets separated, some now goes out the side instead of the front. The player hears more but the audience hears less. To me, this would be a negative side effect.

Nope. It doesnt work like that. There´s not a max of sound produced. My own experiments say that there´s no loss of volume in the front of the guitar and others have the same results. Some even claim that the overall volume in front of the guitar is higher with a soundport.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 4 2011 15:41:04

Derek Woulds

Hi There,
I presume there are sound waves bouncing around inside the guitar body. Surely if you remove some of the solid wall structure it will affect the wave pattern and thus the sound, could be good could be bad. What do you think?
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 4 2011 16:10:48

odinz

soundports is an interesting subject to me to learn more about the guitar, so I have been playing around a bit and I think I have understood something but I am not sure though..

Some people have talked about the volume of the front, and some of those said that the volume from the front would be decreased but that is only possible if you think the guitar has air only coming out and in from the front hole and only out of the soundport hole or something like that, but I think both holes gets air in and out of the body to the same degree relative to the size of the holes of course.

That means that the size of the soundport on also location makes a different volume effect and also possibly effects on tone of guitar regarding overtones because different places on the guitar will naturally vibrate air out and in differently? but also both the holes will project sound relative to each other?

To me this stuff reminds me of the ocarina wich is a flute like someone else said.

Im just trying to understand more about this too sorry if I am way off here

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 4 2011 16:38:05

Sean

Soundwaves have to displace air, adding a soundport makes that a little easier which I think is why you don't end up stealing any of the volume from the soundhole. Soundports are here to stay and the only thing we as guitar makers need to do is find the right balance in regards to size and location to compliment the sound without overpowering it.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 4 2011 16:43:33

Jim Kirby

Anders,

As a point of reference, would you give a list of the range of soundport diameters and placements that you have tried so far?

I think it is a very interesting concept, which I haven't tried yet. I do think that there has to be some interplay between the soundport area and the regular soundhole area that has to be taken into account - there is too much physical principal there to think otherwise.

Jim
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 4 2011 18:13:23
Page:   [1] 2    >   >>
All Forums >>Discussions >>Lutherie >> Page: [1] 2    >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote