Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

Ordering from GSI.   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>Product Reviews >> Page: [1]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

Shawn Brock

Ordering from GSI. 

I guess this could be called a review, in some ways its more of a rant though I think. I got an email from GSI which offered 30 percent off on all accessories through November 30th. To me 30 percent off is a pretty darn good deal. I was thinking of how I could save about $4 per set on my beloved J45C's by ordering them from GSI and skipping the always dreaded Guitar Center experience...

Here's my problem with GSI though, they take forever to ship orders! Here I am 5 days later and when I login to my account I see that my order still hasn't shipped. What's up with that?

I bought a guitar from them last year and experienced the same phenomenon... I was going to be down in L.A for a show and called ahead to try to set up an appointment to play this thing. For the 3 days I was down there, they never could set up a time for me to come in. I'm sure it was just coincidence because I have heard of a lot of people going in to check out instruments, and I just was around during a bad time for them. They offered to give me free shipping on the guitar to make up for not being able to see me. This was fine with me so I placed the order. It was 6 days before they shipped the guitar. When I got it I only needed a few minutes to see that it wasn't the instrument for me. I called them and tried to make arrangements to send it back the same day. It took 3 days for them to email me a "return authorization number", and they asked that I not ship it back to them until Monday. They said they didn't want it sitting in some UPS warehouse over the weekend. Well, I guess I can understand that. Once the guitar was returned it took another 5 days to get a refund. So all in all I had my money tied up with GSI for over 3 weeks...

I'm not saying they are con artists or anything, this is not true, they have always been honest and on the level. They are sure slow with shipping though. I'm sure that I don't know what its like, cause I just sell instruments on eBay every once and a while, but still I ship as soon as I get payment. Obviously with only selling 5 or so guitars a year on eBay is different than running an online retail operation, but it sure seems they could be quicker with shipping... If you have never ordered from them you may want to keep my slow shipping remarks in mind. A lot of us guitar players get inpatient quickly when it comes to waiting on delivery, so just relax and prepare to be a little patient with them. They will get the order out within a week, and if you run into a problem they will take it back... You may feel like your stuck in a bureaucratic cycle, but you will get your order or your refund, it just takes a while...
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 2 2011 16:57:36

keith

RE: Ordering from GSI. (in reply to Shawn Brock

shawn--for strings i have but one word: stringsbymail. they ship quickly and the prices are always very competetive. i suspect g.s.i. had more orders than strings and had to order more for their stock. for an company their size there should not be any issues of quick turn around time--especially for a guitar in stock.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 3 2011 12:13:09

Shawn Brock

Hey Keith, just checked out stringsbymail, and placed an order. So many of you guys have spoken about them, but for some reason I had never looked at their prices. Your right on, they are quite competitive, cheaper than folks like GC, plus it will be great to order up some mixed sets. Thanks for reminding me of them! They have my string business from now on.

As for GSI, here we are 7 business days after I placed the order, and they still haven't shipped. All of what I ordered showed as being in stock, so I don't know what the problem is. Think I'll give them until the end of the day and if the order doesn't update with tracking info, I will just cancel it... I lay odds of 10 to 1 that my stringsbymail order arrives within a day or so of my GSI order, and that's with easy shipping from GSI in L.A to me in Las Vegas. I was willing to give the benefit of the doubt last week, but 7 business days after I placed the order, and 10 true days after? That don't cut it with me... Also for some reason its starting to bother me that a company who's supposed to be a "salon" or small personalized kind of dealer is also owned by the same folks which own Cordoba. On 1 hand you are trying to sell top of the line hand made art, and on the other you are filling the world with cheap guitars made in China... Seems like it would take 2 totally different attitudes to run each business... But what do I know, I'm just a guitar player... Not that I have a problem with Cordoba, they obviously have a place with the guitar buying public. I do have a problem with them making most guitars in China now. They had some pretty good instruments for the money that they made in Spain, now those same instruments are made in China, but the price tag is the same, and the instruments aren't nearly as good. Chalk it all up to big business I guess...
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 6 2011 16:44:16

TANúñez

RE: Ordering from GSI. (in reply to keith

quote:

shawn--for strings i have but one word: stringsbymail

This is actually three words put together

I too recommend stringsbymail.com I don't buy strings anywhere else unless I need a set right that day. They provide excellent service and have good prices and ship pretty quickly.

Tom Núñez
www.instagram.com/tanunezguitars
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 6 2011 19:03:37

avimuno

quote:

I too recommend stringsbymail.com I don't buy strings anywhere else unless I need a set right that day. They provide excellent service and have good prices and ship pretty quickly.

I second that.... excellent service and really nice people too!
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 6 2011 21:32:28

keith

Shawn, GSI's official word is that Cordoba is not GSI but is a separate company. This is true I guess in the corporate legal paper biz but the two companies are owned by the same guy as you mentioned and the two are forever linked--along with Antonio Loriente (made up name) guitars. I think Cordoba is still made in Spain but the GSI label guitars are made in China. A few years ago I tried one out--not bad for a factory guitar. The guitar had no label so I nicknamed it Santos Chan.

Stringsbymail has been around for about 12 years or so and the current group is, I think, the third set of owners--I know of two and the current group might have been an offshoot of the buyer back in 2006.or thereabouts. Richard Cyr started the company and developed the practices that the subsequent owners have followed--to the "T". Richard is a great guy and we owe him a big hearty thanks for starting up the company.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 6 2011 23:22:51

britguy

RE: Ordering from GSI. (in reply to keith

I have also ordered from Strings by Mail for several (7-8-9?) years; strings, books, etc. etc.. Always by phone or email. I usually try to deal directly with John Wunsch, who I believe is the current owner. He's a great person to deal with - very knowledgeable, cooperative and patient. Always willing to discuss your needs and answer questions. Really knows his business!

I have always found their prices, service and response to be excellent. And where else can one find such a great selection of quality strings from so many suppliers around the globe, and in virtually every available variation?

Definitely check out their website. . .

Fruit farmer, Ontario, Canada
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 16 2011 20:40:59
Page:   [1]
All Forums >>Discussions >>Product Reviews >> Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll