Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

looking to buy a flamenco guitar   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Useful Stuff >>Classifieds >> Page: [1]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

burlesque

looking to buy a flamenco guitar 

I have taken flamenco classes at school but no guitar... i have around 2k to spend and looking to buy a nicer guitar.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 21 2011 5:19:52

avimuno

RE: looking to buy a flamenco guitar (in reply to burlesque

Quite a few options in your budget I would say...

Hermanos Sanchis Lopez or Bernal... you can't really go wrong with those considering your budget... it's of course better to try before buying.

If you're in North America, I suggest you get in touch with guys like Jeff Sigurdson or Peter Tsorbia... they can build you a wonderful guitar that will be to your specifications in your budget.

Otherwise, you could technically get something which is a bit more higher end if you don't mind buying a second hand guitar... have a look around (if you look at Craigslist consistently you'll find very nice flamenco guitars pop up from time to time... La Falseta, Dan Zeff and of course this Foro are worth checking for used guitars... otherwise, there's always mundoanuncio, but you might have to pay quite a bit to get the guitar shipped to you from Spain)... I would very highly recommend Aguilarte, he's a retired builder from Granada... excellent guitars for the money and they do come up from time to time on the used market.

Hope that helped.

Saludos!
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 21 2011 8:55:35

rodrigovalt

quote:

have taken flamenco classes at school but no guitar... i have around 2k to spend and looking to buy a nicer guitar.

I have several guitars some are worth more money than others, the last guitar I bought is a Salvador Castillo (I have payed more money for the others), and i completely LOVE IT. I have to tell you is the best guitar I have ever played.

you should email him to get more information. Maybe I can record a video soon so you can hear it. Its a beautiful peg headed blanca

Cheers

Rodrigo
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 21 2011 23:38:39

Shawn Brock

I 2nd the recommendation for Salvador Castillo. I'm the owner of #239, (cedar and cypress with gears), and you get huge bang for your buck. I played a used Castillo negra at Guitar Solo in San Francisco and that got me to wanting one. It was by far the best flamenco they had in the shop, and was a 3rd of the price of some of the other flamencos. I'm completely a blanca man myself, and it took months but I found a guy who was needing money and bought his. I have been wanting to custom order something from Salvador, so am considering letting #239 go to help fund that. I could probably part with it for $1800 if that's the kind of thing you would be interested in. Also I will 2nd the recommendation for Peter Tsiorba, he's a great craftsman. Well... He's more than that, he is a true artist, and the instruments I have played that he has made impressed me. The question you have to ask yourself is what kind of sound you want. If you are looking for that dry raspy punch with a lot of midrange, Castillo will do it for you. If you are looking for that larger body tight sound, which seems more like a bright classical, than you want to not consider Castillo. Peter Tsiorba can probably build you what ever sound you want if you consult with him.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 22 2011 17:40:02

beno

I'd also recommend Castillo, as I'm in love with the blanca He made me!

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 22 2011 18:29:44

AndresL

Burlesque,
Again, if you are in North America, Spanish guitars are usually the gold standard, however, you might consider a Mexican-made flamenco. I have a student-level Francisco Garcia Navarro that is excellent-solid woods, French polish, etc. I have heard that the Garcia Navarro Grand Concert Flamenco Special Reyes model is truly very special. I have been very impressed with mine and have compared it to others that are much more expensive such as Candela's (out of LA), a GV Rubio that I owned, and some of the upper level Alhambra's (Spanish of course, specifically the "Luthier" model and the 10FC). The 10FC, incidentally, was pretty great and is within your price range. You might also consider a Carlos Pina or a Vicente Barajas, both out of Mexico and both highly acclaimed. None of these have the name appeal of a Conde, but for that kind of money, a Conde, a Bernabe, or a Barba is only a student-grade guitar. Good-luck.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 23 2011 19:34:00

pjn

You were looking back in March, still haven't found what you're looking for?
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 24 2011 14:11:04

keith

burlesque--where do you live? i know of a few guitars around the united states that folks are selling that are in your price range.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 26 2011 15:43:52

burlesque

RE: looking to buy a flamenco guitar (in reply to pjn

I had a nice guitar and posted here on forum, I sold it immediately since I had to due to very urgent financial issues.

But as you all know, when you start liking flamenco... you can not stop it.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 30 2011 6:30:43
Page:   [1]
All Forums >>Useful Stuff >>Classifieds >> Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post