Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

Does anyone remember Jack Buckingham?   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: [1]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

Paul Magnussen

Does anyone remember Jack Buckingham? 

I have a flamenco guitar tutor of his from the library, dated 1957.

Does anyone know anything about him?

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 14 2011 17:30:49

Ramon Amira

RE: Does anyone remember Jack Buckin... (in reply to Paul Magnussen

I met Jack Buckingham once in California. He relates in the preface to one of his books that he had originally been a bandleader, and one day he saw a flamenco guitarist perform. Being a musician himself he was struck by the music, and decided to take up flamenco guitar.

The guitarist he saw was Vicente Gomez, who was living in California at the time, and with whom I studied classical and flamenco guitar. Vicente was the nicest and most amiable man I have ever met, who was never without a smile, even when playing.

Jack studied flamenco guitar with Vicente, then went to live in Spain. He actually performed professionally in Spain under the stage name of "Nino de California." He was a fine flamenco guitarist, and wrote two books of flamenco guitar music in standard notation, both of which are excellent. One of them, entitled "Flamenco Guitar" published by Carl Fischer, Inc. is one of the best books of flamenco sheet music that I have found, and it can still be bought online. I have had several of my students get it.

He is referred to by some flamencos in the superb book "The Flamencos of Cadiz Bay," who describe him as a "very fine flamenco guitarist," or words to that effect.

Ramon

Classical and flamenco guitars from Spain Ramon Amira Guitars
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 14 2011 18:10:10

Paul Magnussen

RE: Does anyone remember Jack Buckin... (in reply to Ramon Amira

Thank you. The book I have is El Arte Flamenco, I will try and get hold of the sheet music.

I couldn't agree more about Vicente: I spent several days with him in the late ’80s and interviewed him for Guitar International. He and Betty were two of the most charming people I’ve ever met

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 14 2011 19:04:11

estebanana

One of my teachers studied with him in the mid sixties for a while.

https://www.stephenfaulkguitars.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 16 2011 2:07:03

ibear60

Hello forum Paul… I knew Jack Buckingham as my first classical guitar teacher at Laney College in Oakland, Ca. The years were from 1968 thru 1973. He was a wonderful man who loved teaching and sharing his love for guitar. Today I still have a poster sized photo of him that I took while in class. He's always been an inspiration to me and my guitar playing.
I found this forum by searching for an original copy of his first book "The Classical Guitar". He often mentioned his mentor Vincente Gomez. Jack knew cuban guitarist Jose Rey De La Torre who lived in San Jose and organized a masters class with him at Laney College.
My first flamenco song "Tanquillo de Cadiz" was from his classical book. Rest in peace Mr Buckingham. kind regards, Guadalupe Ybarra
(photo attached)

Attachment (1)
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 3 2013 22:58:24

Ramon Amira

Nice photo. When Jack got involved with flamenco he grew a dark mustache to look more “Spanish.”

I was friendly with Rey de la Torre when I was living in California. He was one of the greatest classical guitarists I have ever heard. In the sixties he was frequently mentioned in the same breath as Segovia, and if you walked into a record store (remember those?) all you would find under “Classical Guitar” would be Segovia and Rey de la Torre.

Tragically, he contracted a terrible disease – rheumatoid arthritis, which crippled his hands and made it impossible to play. He ended up teaching classical guitar, and married his physical therapist.

Ramon

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 4 2013 1:34:47

ibear60

Thanks Ramon…thats funny about the mustache. Jack was also a gifted water color artist and taught art at the college.
Who could forget Rey de la Torre back then when his picture was on every package of LaBella strings. Segovia's picture was on Augustine string packs.
Lupe
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 4 2013 6:46:12

Ramon Amira

RE: Does anyone remember Jack Buckin... (in reply to ibear60

quote:

Segovia's picture was on Augustine string packs.

Still is!

Ramon

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 4 2013 20:14:48

Wannabee

I checked to find the book "Flamenco Guitar" published by Carl fischer.

I could only find a used copy available from Amazon.

I am wondering if I should buy this, but I am a bit concerned that it would be

too "old school" for me. I watched a video on youtube

and am wondering if this is typical of what's in the book?

Thanks in advance.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 8 2013 17:39:17

ibear60

I've had that book for over forty years. When it was published by Carl Fisher back in the late '60s it filled a void for guitarists who read music and wanted to try flamenco. Note that its written in standard music notation….No tabs.
Yes, with perfect hindsight, the book is "dated". The falsetas and coplas are clearly rudimentary. He (Jack Buckingham) played his granadinas with so much passion. He had a way of making the simplest arrangement seem full of character. He used lots of tremelo with which he was very skilled.
Unfortunately, with todays flamenco direction this book may be more "collectible" than useful for most players. I keep it as a memory to maestro Buckingham and his vision to bring flamenco into the mainstream of guitar education. regards Lupe
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 8 2013 19:58:46

Ramon Amira

RE: Does anyone remember Jack Buckin... (in reply to ibear60

quote:

Yes, with perfect hindsight, the book is "dated". The falsetas and coplas are clearly rudimentary.

The music in this book is not “rudimentary,” nor is it “dated.” It is very good flamenco, and good flamenco is not dated.

Moreover, “today’s flamenco direction” is hardly universal or universally accepted.

Ramon

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 8 2013 20:41:54

ibear60

Now I feel bad for being critical of Jack Buckinghams book on Flamenco. Especially since this book has helped me for so many years and years and I'm one of his biggest fans.

Ramon is correct in stating "good flamenco is not dated"…in fact I wish I had said that because its true. Plus I genuinely love the "old school" or retro flamenco toques. I think the new guitarist of today should study every old book they can get their hands on and maestro Buckingham's is one good one to find.
No retraction is complete without an apology…so yes…I'm sorry for being too critical and for calling the material "dated", "rudimentary" because thats wrong. Anyone into flamenco should try to find this book. Cheers Lupe
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 9 2013 22:00:15

IgorPolk

I have obtained the book "The Classic Guitar, Traditional and Related Techniques" by Jack Bookingham, by Carl Fischer Inc. It was published in 1964.
I played Soledad from it. Very nice, not difficult tune. I feel respect for the author and wanted to find more about him.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 27 2014 18:06:55

fredthrane

I knew Jack quite well. I studied classical and a Flamenco guitar with him during the summers of 1964 and 65, when I was in college, and also went on a memorable trip to Spain that he organized in 1966. When I saw this post, I wanted to comment. Jack was a terrific man. As was mentioned earlier, he taught water colors and guitar at Laney College in Oakland. He and his wife, Carmen were lovely people. Jack was very helpful to me in my career as a professional guitarist and I am very thankful for all the support and encouragement that he gave me.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 17 2018 17:06:47

estebanana

My first guitar teacher in Berkeley CA was one of Buckingham's students in the mid 60's - said he was an interesting and engaging person who was very smart. A good musician and painter.

https://www.stephenfaulkguitars.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 17 2018 23:23:08

tele

It seems to me like California has the best flamenco guitarists after Andalucia

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 18 2018 11:28:33
Page:   [1]
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages