Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

RIP Steve Jobs   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>Off Topic >> Page: [1]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

Escribano

RIP Steve Jobs 

RIP to a man who inspired me. I spoke with him and BillG at WWDC in San Jose, 1986. I thanked them both and shook their hands. I subsequently had the privilege of working for both of them and my life was set.

Foro Flamenco founder and Admin
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 6 2011 0:15:54

GuitarVlog

RE: RIP Steve Jobs (in reply to Escribano

Upgraded Yamaha CG171SF
The Guitar Student Journal
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 6 2011 1:44:31

Escribano

RE: RIP Steve Jobs (in reply to GuitarVlog

How to live before you die? That's one of my favourites. Sniff...

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 6 2011 1:46:52

Escribano

I was never part of the Jihad and having worked for both companies, I also know this to be true:

"For those of us lucky enough to get to work with him, it's been an insanely great honor. I will miss Steve immensely" - Bill Gates

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 6 2011 1:55:29

GuitarVlog

quote:

ORIGINAL: Escribano

How to live before you die? That's one of my favourites. Sniff...

I wish I had heard something like those three stories when I was much younger.

At least my teenage daughter has learned from them ... and I'm prepared to support her own journey going forward.

Upgraded Yamaha CG171SF
The Guitar Student Journal
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 6 2011 3:12:35

HemeolaMan

To the man who gave me the opportunity to change and grow in a way no one else has. Thank you Steve.

[signature][/signature]
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 6 2011 3:30:20

kovachian

Modern life would not be the wonder that it is without tireless visionaries like Steve.

Don't look at me in that tone of voice.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 6 2011 3:58:34

at_leo_87

r.i.p. Steve.

i heard the news today at my friends house when we were downloading beatvibe through itunes on his macbook and recording with his iphone. so crazy...
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 6 2011 4:38:45

Ruphus

Great that he must have been good for some of you. ( Seriously.)
There have been partners / coworkers of him who saw not so nice / upright sides of his, though.
In general I don´t see his work as anything outstanding or good.

Ensuring functionality through propriety essembly ( in times of PC imponderables ) and selling it far overpriced to none-tech safe users. No real ingenuity, let alone economical benefit to buyers he could be praised for.

Anyway, may he R.I.P.

Ruphus
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 6 2011 9:50:47

kudo

i never liked any of apples products, because of its hard to use, not until very recently when i got my first apple product, ipod touch, now im a fan!! I do acknowledge that mac is superior and is much better than PC BUT I find it hard to use, im just used to windows. my next computer would be a mac, but I just hope that apple remains the #1 company and does not degrade after steve. RIP !

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 6 2011 13:03:36

Richard Jernigan

Having learned 11 computer operating systems as a secondary skill during a long career as mathematician, physicist and engineer, I believe OS-X is the best of the lot in both stability and ease of use. It sits on top of Unix, so if you go to terminal: you can do anything.

I don't own any other Apple products, but my daughter the lawyer finds her iPhone and iPad very useful.

I lived in Silicon Valley half the time for a few years. The evident enthusiasm and team spirit of Apple employees and independent developers was a strong tribute to Jobs's vision and leadership.

A loss to the world.

RNJ
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 6 2011 16:00:37

at_leo_87

RE: RIP Steve Jobs (in reply to kudo

quote:

i never liked any of apples products, because of its hard to use, not until very recently when i got my first apple product, ipod touch, now im a fan!! I

yup, that's the way it is with most folks.

mac computers have a very short learning curve. and after you get used to it, you'll find that it's actually much EASIER than pc.

for instance, to uninstall a program, just drag the icon and drop it into the trash. with windows, you have to go to control program, click on uninstall/install programs, find the program, and then go through the uninstall wizard, and even then, you still have some folders and info left behind.

so don't let that small learning curve put you off.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 7 2011 20:03:07

cathulu

RE: RIP Steve Jobs (in reply to at_leo_87

Yes, that may be true, but I have a mac mini (the motorola CPU version) and I have never gotten completely use to it - I just feel more comfortable with windows. And it had barely any processing power which was clearly evident with garage band for example which is why I think Apple finally went to Intel. They held out a long time... to their detriment imho in the PC market. And their closed ecosystem held them back also.

But the ipod / iphone coupled with itunes was a game changer - although it comes with a walled garden, nicely tended.

I choose to remain in the wilds outside. It is not all bad, and there are some things that are advantageous. Many things in fact.

Back to Steve, he was the right guy at the right place, who said yes when someone else may have said no. He was a visionary, but he was also a massive salesman and a bit of a huckster from what I have seen and heard. People loved that in him though.

RIP Steve, you went too soon like so many before you. Cancer is a scourge. I hate it.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 11 2011 2:30:46
Page:   [1]
All Forums >>Discussions >>Off Topic >> Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post