Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

My 5 piece bracing system   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>Lutherie >> Page: [1] 2    >   >>
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

Anders Eliasson

My 5 piece bracing system 

Back on topic

Before summer I promised to upload somthing about my "new" bracing system.
So here you have a small photo of it. Its Kozz´s guitar.
On my blog I wrote:
Well, here it is, the bracing system that I use now. Its my own.... Well you can say that there´s nothing new in it. Evereything is traditional and tryed before. But its not a copy. Thats why I call it my own. Its the bracing system that I prefer when it comes to pulsation and feel of the guitar. I like the response. It took me years to understand what the pro players meant when they talked about the feeling. I was always thinking about the sound as the basic point. Well, the sound has to be right, but the feel is more important. If the guitar feels right, then you play well and then YOU sound well. Its actually pretty simple. Its just the other way round as what most not so good players think.
The guitar is number 90.

There´s a small serie on my blog about the bracing of the sound as well:
http://news-from-the-workshop.blogspot.com/

Images are resized automatically to a maximum width of 800px

Attachment (1)

Blog: http://news-from-the-workshop.blogspot.com/
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 12 2011 8:41:42

Julian

RE: My 5 piece bracing system (in reply to Anders Eliasson

Thank you for the picture, this looks really good and is very informative.
Your blog and your posts here are very very helpful for us hobby-guitarbuilders. I learned very very much from them since I found the foro - thank you!
I'm actually working on my first build and I have to admit that I use your bracing as a starting-point. I try to keep everything as simple as possible and therefore plan to just use 5 fan-braces and the bridgestrap but no closing struts. Have you tried this before?

Julian
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 12 2011 9:02:54

doublek

Very Nice Anders..

Is this a Santos traditional plan?
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 12 2011 9:11:04

KMMI77

quote:

Well, the sound has to be right, but the feel is more important.

Yes, I couldn't agree more. The best guitars actually feel as though they are guiding your hands to comfort. They respond in a way that not only encourages the hand to relax, but reward such playing. It's rare to find a guitar with the combo. Good luck with this one.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 12 2011 9:45:10

Anders Eliasson

Hi

Julian
I have used 7 piece fan with and without closing struts and I prefered to use the closing struts. So on the 5 piece I stay with that for now.

doublek
No its not a santos system. I dont think you´ve read my initial post because it pretty clearly answers your question.

KMMI77
The feel of this guitar is absolutely awesome and I like the sound. Judge by yourself:

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 12 2011 10:49:45

KMMI77

quote:

The feel of this guitar is absolutely awesome and I like the sound. Judge by yourself:

How would you describe the differences in sound between your latest blancas and the one in this video?

What do you like or dislike about each guitar? yours and Antonio Reys?

I hope it's okay to ask? It's just that reading your answers will help me know more about your guitars and you as a maker.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 12 2011 11:53:25

Ruphus

Ole!

I can imagine what you are saying about pulsation there, seeing how seamlessly the strings appear to give way eventhough rasqued ´n plucked close to the bridge.

And congrats to the playing!

( Worth observing, besides, how you relieve that RH shoulder; even returning to lose right away after having pulled up for a blink in between.
Allowing unhampered protagonists and gravitation to do their work, instead of imploying countering antagonists.)

Ruphus
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 12 2011 12:14:46

Anders Eliasson

KMMI77
I cannot comment on the sound of Antonio Rey´s guitar. I think the sound mix is horrible. with a lot of bass rumble. The golpes sound like a bass drum... I dont know.

My own guitar has a very strong midrange and it can sound a little harsh at first. But for me it was just a matter of adapting and sometimes play a little bit closer to the soundhole. Because besides that I really like how the notes kind jump out of the guitar. Its very lively and very easy to play

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 12 2011 15:48:17

stratos13

It seems you made the body deeper than previous guitars.
Is that the case?
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 12 2011 16:10:17

Anders Eliasson

nope

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 12 2011 16:15:36

estebanana

You're using cedar for the pieced in section under the bridge. That's interesting. Do you always or is that selection based on flex and weight?

One of the things that those who don't build guitars don't understand about bracing systems and which is really difficult to explain are the details about the order of assembly and how that effects the feel of the guitar. How much arching, how much flex, how the bridge is introduced, it all makes the system personal. It's not just about a pattern of sticks layed down in side the top.

And once you arrive at a pattern it's how yoo get used to working the details and shifting them slightly each time to get results. It's part science and part art that relies on having expereinced the feel of the braced top over and over. It's tactile and much as it's engineering and intellectual.

https://www.stephenfaulkguitars.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 12 2011 18:38:10

Richard Jernigan

Speaking of playing...

Notice how Anders' right forearm does not rest against the sharp corner where the top of the guitar joins the sides. It looks as though his right forearm seldom touches the guitar at all. If it does, it touches very lightly, and is parallel to the top, so there is no interference with blood circulation or nerve action.

Great sounding guitar, Anders.

RNJ
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 12 2011 19:41:50

Gimar Yestra

Funny how I'm more attracted to the inside of most guitars rather than the outside.

looks very nice Anders!!

www.yestragitaarbouw.nl
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 12 2011 20:28:53

estebanana

BTW that is among the best flamenco guitars I've ever heard.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 13 2011 0:49:31

JuanDaBomb

Hi,

I'd like to ask: how come you used kerfling blocks for the soundboard, and a solid continuous wood strip for the back??
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 13 2011 0:56:57

Andy Culpepper

Cool, very nice work there. So the bridge strap is notched out for the braces nice vice-versa?
I'd be curious to see how your bridge lies over the fan braces.
Ole!

Andy Culpepper, luthier
http://www.andyculpepper.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 13 2011 1:21:32

malakka

Very nice sounding! Nice growl and strong, punchy trebles. Maybe the best Anders Eliasson I have heard yet. Thank you for sharing.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 13 2011 2:29:30

RTC

Ole!
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 13 2011 3:50:19

kozz

Looks good to see it come together.
What's the square piece of wood between the sound hole and the neck block ?

My heart is already pulsating when seeing this, wandering what the fingers will do

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 13 2011 5:29:30

VietFlamenco

RE: My 5 piece bracing system (in reply to kozz

Kozz, my guess is that's just a clamp.

Edit: nm, was looking at wrong thing.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 13 2011 6:57:09

Anders Eliasson

Kozz. The square piece uf wood on your guitar and every other I make is a reinforcement. Its slightly wider than the fingerboard. Its there in order to avoid cracks in the soundboard because of schrinking of the fingerboard.

Andy, my soundboards are pretty flat. Just a few mm of arch. The bridge is ached a tiny wheeny bit

I use Cedar for the strap because its light. The strap is very thin. some 1,5mm and shaved down towards the sides. Its there to control the arch of the pretty flat soundboard. Otherwise soundboards tend to flop down towards the sides. A kind of depression. That makes the guitar loose tension, power and response.

My sitting position has evolved over the years. Its very comfortable and relaxing with no strain on the body and I dont have to lift the neck because I use a rubber cloth under the guitar so that it doesnt slip.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 13 2011 7:33:04

Ruphus

RE: My 5 piece bracing system (in reply to Richard Jernigan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Richard Jernigan

Speaking of playing...

Notice how Anders' right forearm does not rest against the sharp corner where the top of the guitar joins the sides. It looks as though his right forearm seldom touches the guitar at all. If it does, it touches very lightly, and is parallel to the top, so there is no interference with blood circulation or nerve action.

Instead he rests the upper arm on the bout.
Which is not ergonomical, as it levers your hand away / requesting active position retain at the soundboard ( encreased pulling-up efforts of the lower arm).
Resting the upper arm aids relaxation of the shoulder, but unfortunately counteracts RH poise simultaneously. - And should effect blood circulation still, as the main vessels do run through the inner side of the upper arm.
It´s Anders´otherwise economical technique that allows him introducing such a roundabout without significant obstruction.

It doesn´t mean however that he couldn´t be gaining even more seamlessness if he rested his lower arm near the ellbow at the spot you mentioned.
- And implemented an arm bevel to comfort it.

BTW, how about those, Anders. Have you considered possible implementation of bevels, yet?

Ruphus
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 13 2011 11:52:37

Anders Eliasson

nope no guitar bevels from me. I bevel my boats and thats it.

I used to play classical violin and there you have huge discussions on how to hold the bow. There are "schools". High and low elbow, pinky on, pinky off, spread fingers, center 2 fingers no spread. You name it.

Funny enough, There are violinists of the very top level using all kinds of different tecniques and playing extremely well, so I i decided to forget about that and just close my eyes and enjoy the music. And once when I changed teacher and I found out that the new one was "religious" when it came to how to hold the bow..... I just found another one who concentrated on the subject. teaching me how to play.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 13 2011 17:21:41

estebanana

I've had the same thing with the cello. Some teachers are stinkers about the bow and others make a comment now and then. Everyones hand and arm length is different.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 13 2011 17:41:26

Anders Eliasson

You can meet the exact same attitudes in the flamenco guitar world. Square headed teachers and people in general are everywhere

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 13 2011 20:47:28

Richard Jernigan

RE: My 5 piece bracing system (in reply to Ruphus

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ruphus

Instead he rests the upper arm on the bout.
Which is not ergonomical, as it levers your hand away / requesting active position retain at the soundboard ( encreased pulling-up efforts of the lower arm).
Resting the upper arm aids relaxation of the shoulder, but unfortunately counteracts RH poise simultaneously. - And should effect blood circulation still, as the main vessels do run through the inner side of the upper arm.
It´s Anders´otherwise economical technique that allows him introducing such a roundabout without significant obstruction.

It doesn´t mean however that he couldn´t be gaining even more seamlessness if he rested his lower arm near the ellbow at the spot you mentioned.
- And implemented an arm bevel to comfort it.

BTW, how about those, Anders. Have you considered possible implementation of bevels, yet?

Ruphus

Next time I talk to Paco, I'll pass along your tip. He'll be glad to know what's been holding him back all these years.

And have you noticed what a mess Paco's picado is? He picks his whole arm up off the guitar! What a shame, when he could be doing so much better.

Seriously, resting the inner upper arm on the side of the guitar does not interfere with blood circulation or nerve function. The area of contact is large enough that the pressure is reduced below a harmful level. At least it has been for the fifty or so years I've been doing it...

Quite a few, perhaps most classical players play the way you describe. I find I tend in that direction when I play classical, but I keep the upper side of the guitar tilted back a bit to reduce the pressure on the forearm.

Quite a few, perhaps most flamenco players play the way I describe, including many of the great virtuosi. I can get quite a flamenco sound out of my Romanillos with the right hand technique I describe, though the rasgueados aren't as crisp as on my flamenco guitars, nor is the sound as brilliant nor quite as solid as on my Arcangel. Of course the Arcangel has nowhere near the range of tone qualities as the Romanillos played classical style.

RNJ
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 14 2011 4:27:49

kozz

quote:

Kozz. The square piece uf wood on your guitar and every other I make is a reinforcement. Its slightly wider than the fingerboard. Its there in order to avoid cracks in the soundboard because of schrinking of the fingerboard.

Thanks Anders!

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 14 2011 5:33:05

Ruphus

RE: My 5 piece bracing system (in reply to estebanana

quote:

ORIGINAL: estebanana

I've had the same thing with the cello. Some teachers are stinkers about the bow and others make a comment now and then. Everyones hand and arm length is different.

Yes and no. If the instrument is too small in relation to the players body size: yes; if about relation of extremeties in regard to each other: commonly no.

Just envision the three limbs, upper arm, lower arm, hand, slack dangling down from the shoulder joint.
Now imagine how to position them optimally as to have the hand placed at string hight with the least active ( extra ) effort. Taking into consideration suspenses and leverings there remains only one ergonomical way.
Iznaola states that you want your hand to be pending, and rather "fall" into the strings ( be there from get go / "The hare and the hedgehog" principle ), not levered away ( taking "eagle swoop" planting, as I´d call it ), and who actually cared to explore on this, will realize its physiological benefits.
I have seen it happen with old hands after only a ~ 20 minute introduction, with them coming back to me elated after only a couple of days of new practice.

I mean, just don´t repell news from the get go without conscious trying first. But if you chose to reject still, again, certainly no offence taken by me.

What the bow is concerned, I have no special insights, but observed this:

When its is about economicallly efficient lifting of the arm, an ellbow kept close to the torso will do. ( Correspondingly adviced for posture at painting, for motor bike riding, etc.)
Whereas when it is about brief precision a high ellbow can be handy ( like in chemical laboratories where learners are instructed to raise the ellbow while filling test tubes ).

Anyway, I am not trying to contribute on ergonomics for to annoy anyone about his habits, but to spread practical bits for those who seek them.
( And no: For there being virtuousos who overcome counter productive posture, it won´t mean such to be in the same time what one should mimic for optimal application [ least efforts]. After all it could be why we don´t see rational conservatories teaching a Glen Gould or Luis Armstrong technique, despite the unquestionable results these artists achieved).

Richard,

Agreed, a pointy leverage will excert more pressure on vessels than a plain one. What I meant is that you can have your hand get numb from upper arm resting too, as I remember from lengthy acoustic guitar sessions, when I used to rest the upper arm on the bout.

Ruphus
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 14 2011 16:47:25

Richard Jernigan

RE: My 5 piece bracing system (in reply to Ruphus

Resting the forearm on the edge of the guitar contributes positively to the modern ideal of classical technique, playing everything from the same right hand position. Exceptions are moving along the length of the strings to modify tone quality, damping the strings with the right side of the palm in pizzicato, and slight alterations in the angle of attack of the fingers.

In 20th century flamenco technique, the right hand is far more mobile. Alzapua and abanico both involve significant rotation of the forearm. "Abanico" specifically refers to the rotation of the forearm at the elbow when using a fan. Resting the forearm on the edge of the guitar inhibits rotation of the forearm at the elbow.

Resting the upper arm on the side of the guitar can result in numbness through at least a couple of mechanisms. One is through pressing against the edge where the top joins the side. Another is through exerting too much force. The guitar can be held quite firmly in the traditional position, lower bout against the right thigh, upper bout above but not touching the left thigh, through only the weight of the upper arm laid along the side, without any muscular force whatsoever.

Paco's position, now almost uniformly adopted by flamenco players, rests the waist of the guitar on the right thigh and lays the upper arm along the side, also without muscular force.

Now we've hijacked the thread. Sorry, Anders.

RNJ
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 14 2011 18:13:24

Ruphus

RE: My 5 piece bracing system (in reply to Richard Jernigan

quote:

Now we've hijacked the thread. Sorry, Anders.

Yes, but I guess he won´t mind, as him being just as much a player as a luthier. ( Admirable besides how well he managed to cover both in the same time!)

quote:

Resting the forearm on the edge of the guitar contributes positively to the modern ideal of classical technique, playing everything from the same right hand position. Exceptions are moving along the length of the strings to modify tone quality, damping the strings with the right side of the palm in pizzicato, and slight alterations in the angle of attack of the fingers.

Well observed!
However, ergonomical details have yet spread rather little, if you look around and see what hampers so many members of the community, at times throughout decades of great love and passion with practice.
Aware of how certain constructive details can change one´s path / progress so drastically, I assume a helpful potential through pointing out thelikes.

( Had been stuck myself for so many years, in the end wondering if it could be individual physics or whatever that prevented me from conquering certain technical realms; which naturally it was not. - Aside of having developed FD through wasteful approach towards speed.)

It´s all in the head.

quote:

In 20th century flamenco technique, the right hand is far more mobile. Alzapua and abanico both involve significant rotation of the forearm. "Abanico" specifically refers to the rotation of the forearm at the elbow when using a fan. Resting the forearm on the edge of the guitar inhibits rotation of the forearm at the elbow.

Further than that, I am trying to introduce a ( counter clock-wise) forearm rotation into almost all techniques, including rasgueado and arpeggio; as it turned out to help a great deal with smooth, even and fast release, and spare heaps of miniscule motorics / neural energy. ( Even if the leading rotation be only subtle, hardly / not visible.)

For most, I do this including whirls with the forearm rested as recommended by Iznaola ( very close to the ellbow), and can´t see why you think that the rest wouldn´t allow rotation.

( Should there be need for more posts for exploring details we can open an extra thread.)

Ruphus
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 15 2011 13:13:58
Page:   [1] 2    >   >>
All Forums >>Discussions >>Lutherie >> Page: [1] 2    >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote