Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

RE: All Flamenco chords in Tab   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: <<   <   1 2 3 [4] 5    >   >>
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

Led00

RE: All Flamenco chords in Tab (in reply to M.S.A.

Yeah, but I really have a feeling that I am missing one note... not sure which thou...
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 8 2013 18:12:51

Erik van Goch

RE: All Flamenco chords in Tab (in reply to Led00

quote:

ORIGINAL: Led00

Yeah, but I really have a feeling that I am missing one note... not sure which thou...

Yes, it must be power chords (whatever those are :-).

I don't have the energy to check all the details but at first ear it sounds like shifting 9-chords in full barree covering 1th, 3th and 4th position like

----3------1------4--------
----5------3------6--------
----5------3------6--------
-----------------------------

(the 9 part is the note covered by the b-string. In musical terms it is the note next in line on the alphabet compared to the root note of the chord, so in C it's d, in Bb it's c etc.).

If i'm wrong i'm sure someone will tell us.... chords like these are nice to know anyway.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 8 2013 18:53:20

gslavonic

RE: All Flamenco chords in Tab (in reply to Ricardo

Just remember we do this because we love to play the guitar, right?
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 14 2013 18:51:33

Robug

You know, I could put all these chords in notation/TAB format in an archived file that will actually play the chords back, if anyone is interested. That way, you can see the TAB, see the Notation, and hear what it will sound like. Just a suggestion.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 22 2014 18:45:05

Robug

Greetings Ricardo, I put your "A" flamenco chords into a file that shows TAB, notation, and chord fretboard fingering. I had to reduce the file greatly because this foro has very little options for files so the quality is much reduced (we can examine some other means of sharing this file, that is if people are interested). I have not completed it or proofed for mistakes yet, but you can get a general idea. If you and others here think this is of interest, I will complete the "A" chords and then proceed to include all the others you so kindly posted. This was done in Finale 2012 and the original file can actually be "played" using a free reading version from the Finale MakeMusic web page. Personally, I find notation to be of great value when used in conjunction with the TAB and chord symbols. Please let me know if you like this, or not, and make suggestions. I send you greetings from tropical Panama.

Attachment (1)
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 25 2014 7:35:12

revendel

This thread has done wonders to my falsetas, thank you!
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 5 2015 21:04:39

Ricardo

RE: All Flamenco chords in Tab (in reply to Robug

quote:

ORIGINAL: Robug

Greetings Ricardo, I put your "A" flamenco chords into a file that shows TAB, notation, and chord fretboard fingering. I had to reduce the file greatly because this foro has very little options for files so the quality is much reduced (we can examine some other means of sharing this file, that is if people are interested). I have not completed it or proofed for mistakes yet, but you can get a general idea. If you and others here think this is of interest, I will complete the "A" chords and then proceed to include all the others you so kindly posted. This was done in Finale 2012 and the original file can actually be "played" using a free reading version from the Finale MakeMusic web page. Personally, I find notation to be of great value when used in conjunction with the TAB and chord symbols. Please let me know if you like this, or not, and make suggestions. I send you greetings from tropical Panama.

Measures 3,4,5 are missing the open first string.

CD's and transcriptions available here:
www.ricardomarlow.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 6 2015 13:56:34

Paul Magnussen

RE: All Flamenco chords in Tab (in reply to Erik van Goch

quote:

Yes, it must be power chords (whatever those are :-).

Look up Power chord on Wikipedia: there’s a good article.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 6 2015 15:03:09

Ricardo

RE: All Flamenco chords in Tab (in reply to Paul Magnussen

Power chords have roots and 5ths or 4th intervals only. In Vicente case above the chord is barred and Eric has it right but the note is called "sus2" instead of "9". 9 implies the chord contains the 3rd and 7th as well, which is not the case. Chords stack as such in thirds (1-3-5-7-9-11-13...if you dont' make it to 7 you don't use 9,11,13, you instead use sus2,4 or just 6...you can use "add"9 or 11 if the 3rd is present).

The "sus" means the third interval (which determines the quality of a chord being major or minor) is suspended...possibly to resolve in the future with the sus note moving up (from sus2) or down (sus4) with the other two intervals holding (root and 5th). In the Vicente example, all those chords could be substituted for either major triad barre chords, or dominant 7 barres with similar musical effect in context of flamenco. Point being, the theory behind the names of the chord is arbitrary in comparison to the musical point to rematar his falseta. Doubling roots and 5th tends to make the chords "growl" nicely, hence the term "power" used in Rock.

I remember as a kid learning power chords for Iron Man and such type of songs, my dad was not happy with the term "chord" as they were only "intervals" to him. A "chord" by definition must contain 3 different notes (not including octaves), so he said. I used to roll my eyes...now a days I accept that different music disciplines will have their own terminology.

www.ricardomarlow.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 6 2015 16:01:29

Sr. Martins

The funny thing with the power chord thing in guitar playing is that leaving out the tonic (results in a 4th, which is an inverted fifth) gives a more mean and agressive sound than what would be expected (the lower the register of the notes you play, the more metal it "should" sound).

From what I hear, Vicente often uses inversions not for voice leading purposes but for the sound effect he wants to get out of that particular chord (the growl Ricardo mentioned). That being said, I totally agree that in this case there shouldn't be much thought given about theoretical reasons behind the approach.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 6 2015 17:10:52

revendel

Explain (in reply to Led00

I would appreciate it if someone could explain to me how the following chord in this thread is humanly possible.

E-0-
B-2-
G-2-
D-2-
A-0-
E-6-
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 6 2015 20:58:18

chester

RE: Explain (in reply to revendel

quote:

ORIGINAL: revendel

I would appreciate it if someone could explain to me how the following chord in this thread
is humanly possible.

E-0-
B-2-
G-2-
D-2-
A-0-
E-6-

Get a small guitar?
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 6 2015 21:05:14

El Kiko

probably easier because you may be playing with a capo on , thereby reducing the stretch .. also the 2,2,2, would all be with the same finger

Don't trust Atoms.....they make up everything.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 6 2015 21:07:31

timoteo

RE: All Flamenco chords in Tab (in reply to El Kiko

Restoring thread title ...
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 6 2015 22:18:58

Leñador

It's tough but possible, one of my teachers has that in a falseta he was teaching me.
Pinky on 6
index on the first set of 2's and middle finger on the last 2.

\m/
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 6 2015 22:20:06

Sr. Martins

I play that one with two fingers (barre with index plus pinky), isn't it the most natural way?
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 6 2015 23:27:09

revendel

Switching to this chord is very difficult. I was looking for an A chord with something on the low E sixth fret for extending an alzapua I had in mind. But dosent look like it will be happening for a while now.

Don't mean to hog the thread.
Restoring original thread.....😀
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 7 2015 0:44:27

Sr. Martins

RE: All Flamenco chords in Tab (in reply to revendel

Why not use everything else that's reachable to you on the 6th string? Try fooling around with F (1st fret) and G (3rd fret) and pass through G# (4th fret) when you want to lead back to A... just an idea.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 7 2015 1:02:34

Leñador

Just got home and checked, yup, bar index pinky on 6 not so bad.

\m/
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 7 2015 2:05:18

Ricardo

quote:

I would appreciate it if someone could explain to me how the following chord in this thread is humanly possible.

E-0-
B-2-
G-2-
D-2-
A-0-
E-6-

Part of the reason I started this thread was because this topic of chord voicing comes up often and there are some interesting left hand techniques you don't find in other guitar styles. "Andalusian hand Jive" estebanan called it once.

I have small hands and can grab this chord no problem even quick amidst some fast bass note falsetas etc., even my 670mm scale guitar no capo. The first trick to master is the half barre by bending the index first joint in a way to get the 4th,3rd and 2nd strings held with the top E string open. It's a matter of milimeters, most students will mute accidently the first string at first attemps. Next the pinky stretch is achieved by using thumb down very low behind the neck, the wrist almost straight and the elbow tucking quite close to your rib cage, in effect pointing your forearm back toward the headstock.

As some one said use of capo will make this chord more comfy.

www.ricardomarlow.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 7 2015 17:54:52

Blondie#2

RE: Explain (in reply to Ricardo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ricardo

quote:

E-0-
B-2-
G-2-
D-2-
A-0-
E-6-

Part of the reason I started this thread was because this topic of chord voicing comes up often and there are some interesting left hand techniques you don't find in other guitar styles. "Andalusian hand Jive" estebanan called it once.

I have small hands and can grab this chord no problem even quick amidst some fast bass note falsetas etc., even my 670mm scale guitar no capo.

See you and raise you one, I can make pinky to 7th

...wouldn't want to try it in a hurry though.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 7 2015 18:41:12

revendel

RE: Explain (in reply to Blondie#2

HOW!? Where is your thumb placed, behind second or first finger? And below fret board center or at the center line?

My hands are made from solid metal, gonna take ages to flex like that.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 7 2015 19:12:29

Ricardo

quote:

HOW!? Where is your thumb placed, behind second or first finger? And below fret board center or at the center line?

My hands are made from solid metal, gonna take ages to flex like that.

I can get to 7th fret too. The thumb is way below the center line, almost down to the ebony board below the first string, and about centered under the third fret. My elbow is way in near my ribs.

www.ricardomarlow.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 7 2015 19:44:09

Blondie#2

quote:

Ricardo already described forming the chord, spot on. Do what he says and the thumb position takes care of itself. My thumb is kind of behind the fourth fret, low down on the back of the neck below the centre.

Granted you need quite flexible joints to get that arched partial barre with the index though.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 7 2015 19:49:52

chester

Seriously though, when would you need to play that voicing and have all the strings ring?
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 7 2015 20:43:53

Paul Magnussen

RE: Explain (in reply to Blondie#2

quote:

you need quite flexible joints to get that arched partial barre with the index though.

I can do it with my 1st and 4th fingers, but not with my 3rd. 3rd & 4th are useful because you can use them to play a B shape, which is especially handy at the higher frets. If your 3rd is flexible enough then you can also get B7 by adding the 4th finger on the 1st string, and B6 by flattening out the 3rd.

This technique is also handy with jazz chords, for instance B9: (F#)-B-D#-A-C#-F#; or with the occasional classical piece, for instance Francisco Calleja’s Cancion Triste.

P.S. The technique feels very strange at first.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 7 2015 21:52:24

Sr. Martins

I also got to the 7th fret with the pinky, but then I discovered something else...

Index almost along the fretboard, middle and ring on the back of the neck (near the 6th string), pinky at 8th and thumb just touching the edge of the ebony near the 1st string.

Sounds really nice! Asus2/C or a first inversion A minor chord add ninth.

Yogamenco.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 8 2015 0:26:07

revendel

RE: All Flamenco chords in Tab (in reply to chester

quote:

Seriously though, when would you need to play that voicing and have all the strings ring?

Moraito uses this progression in his bulerias sometimes

--x-x-x-x-x-E
-3-1-1-2-3-B
-3-3-1-2-3-G
-3-3-0-2-3-D
-5-3-1-0-5-A
-5-1-1-6-5-E
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 9 2015 11:35:20

Ricardo

RE: All Flamenco chords in Tab (in reply to revendel

quote:

quote:

Moraito uses this progression in his bulerias sometimes

--x-x-x-x-x-E
-3-1-1-2-3-B
-3-3-1-2-3-G
-3-3-0-2-3-D
-5-3-1-0-5-A
-5-1-1-6-5-E

only with top E sounding on last two Bb9(#11)/F, and A(addb9)

www.ricardomarlow.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 9 2015 17:14:24

DavRom

reading tabs gives me a headache

who came up with that crap?

and why is it so popular?!
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 5 2015 4:03:18
Page:   <<   <   1 2 3 [4] 5    >   >>
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: <<   <   1 2 3 [4] 5    >   >>
Jump to: