Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

Flamenco chord-variation chart   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: [1]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

Ramón

Flamenco chord-variation chart 

I'm working on chord variations, and am using www.chordfind.com, but it has no clue with many of the chords used in flamenco. Keeps telling me there's "no chord found"!

Is there some website showing flamenco chords and their variations up the scale?

Thanks to all

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 22 2005 2:54:04

Ricardo

RE: Flamenco chord chart (in reply to Ramón

We talked about this in another forum. I clipped what I wrote there because it sort of goes w/ what you are asking for:
quote:

Good question. Keep in mind that flamenco guitar is very technique oriented vs other styles. In other words the special fingerings are more for how one will pass from one chord to another rather than like in jazz were you want a certain voicing for a musical or harmonic reason...Anyway, don't worry so much about ALL the chords in a key vs., the chords that pass from one to another. For example moving from C7-Bb, would be different than C7-F bar chord, and C7-F maj 7 is different too. Regardless if you are in the "key" of A phrygian, Aminor, E phyg, etc. Here are examples:

E--0--0----(1)-1----0--0--
B--3--3-----1--1----1--1--
G--3--3-----3--2----3--2--
D--2--0-----2--3----2--3--
A--3--1-----1--3----3-(0)-
E-------------3--1------------

The right hand technique can also dictate which chord fingering is most appropriate. I can imagine making a book that goes through different chord voicings through flamenco progressions, would be a very big task. Best to focus your time on right had strumming and technique and learn the different chording combos slowly as your right hand progresses.

One place to start is Merengue de Cordoba's Cante accompaniment vid from Encuentro. Many different palos w/ tons of typical chord progressions. Comes w/ huge tab book and a smaller chord chart book.

Ricardo

Basically there are special voicings depending on the fingering you use, and where you are headed. If you want chords used in a specific palo, maybe folks can give some examples, but there is not a chord book for flamenco that I know of.

Ricardo
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 22 2005 15:52:00

Ramón

RE: Flamenco chord chart (in reply to Ricardo

Hi Ricardo,

Thanks, but what I was seeking was...well, I went to chordfind.com. What they have is a chord chart that when you hit 'variations', it shows EVERYWHERE on the neck it can be played... That's what I was seeking.

The problem is, like a Buleria in por medio, the flamenco B doesn't really exist in the rest of music, it's like a 'color chord', as my neighbor say - very Spanish.

So what I was looking for, was a chart that showed me everywhere that flamenco B could be played - along with some of the other chords inherent to flamenco.

Thanks
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 22 2005 17:02:53

rickm

RE: Flamenco chord-variation chart (in reply to Ramón

quote:

Merengue de Cordoba's Cante accompaniment vid from Encuentro. Many different palos w/ tons of typical chord progressions. Comes w/ huge tab book and a smaller chord chart book.

ok, im a dummy where would one get this and does it indicate the progressions via the style , like in a buleria you play a, b etc and solea e, em7 fm7 etc etc.??? thanks. If it just a chord book it wouldnt help me much the progrsssions via the style would be more helpful thanks.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 22 2005 19:24:25

Doitsujin

Hi Ramón,
some time ago I too screened many books and the internet for that.
To find chord-variations of simple chords, which doenst exist in the usual hamonie-theorie. In flamenco u can use many chords which sound nice, but are from a harmonical-point of view absolute nonsense..
I tabed some variatinos only for some chords to make my falsetas more modern.
Its for la tonalidad of farruca -solea--- take a look at it.
I cant upload it here. I upload it here"http://www.foroflamenco.com/tm.asp?m=17775&p=1&tmode=1&smode=1 ".
But you may already know all.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 23 2005 10:48:00

Ramón

RE: Flamenco chord-variation chart (in reply to Doitsujin

Thanks guys.....Lots of good variations... I'm not all that familiar using Guitar Pro, so I'm not sure if there is something I missed, but I am seeking the 'flamenco B', and everywhere on the neck that B can be played. Couldn't find it on this page (GP-4). Any thoughts on that?

Appreciate all the input...
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 23 2005 20:07:32

Ricardo

Hi Ramon,
first of all it is Bb you are looking for. Second, the "flamenco" version just has some open strings ringing so look for Bb#11, or Bb6#11, Bb9#11, etc, and you will find variations all over the neck. But, again, why do you want that? Why not learn the "flamenco" fingerings, since that is good enough for flamenco.

The special flamenco chords are ideomatic for the instrument, but learning all the variations on the neck is more for jazz and transposing to different tonalities. What sounds "flamenco" about a chord or progression, is the way it is fingered. Alot of the "wrong" harmonic notes, are simply the result of employing open strings against fretted notes. It is not meant to be a part of the harmonic anaysis where one would want to harmonize the thing all over the neck.

"Flamenco Bb"

E--1--0--0--0--0--0--5--0--5--0-------0-- There are others...
B--3--3--3--3--3--1--3--3--5--6------11--
G--3--3--3--3--3--1--3--3--7--7--7--10--
D--3--3--3--0--0--0--3--7--8--8--0---8---
A---------1--1--1--1--0-----5--0--8--------
E----------------1--1---------6-----6--10---

quote:

If it just a chord book it wouldnt help me much the progrsssions via the style would be more helpful thanks.

There is a HUGE tab book w/ falsetas and fingerings. The chord book (2 books come w/ the vid) is useful if you are a guitarist who can read a chart, and already understands the rhythm of the flamenco forms. Like, you know the compas already, but want to understand the song structure (harmonic progression) of both popular and some obscure cantes. It is a good reference. You can get it from anyone selling Encuentro vids, such as Flamenco World or Flamencoconnection.

Ricardo
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 24 2005 6:43:02

Ramón

THAT...is what I was looking for..that 5,3,3,0/3,3,7/11,10,8,10...Thanks for the help and patience...

What interested me was I saw two guys doing a Sevillana, and one guy was playing a harmony of the chords higher up the neck. Sounded great, so I figured out some of it (could be mixed into a falsetta), but the B / Bb thing was throwing me.

A great help. Thank you...
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 24 2005 13:40:02

Francisco

quote:

and already understands the rhythm of the flamenco forms

This is next on the list...
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 27 2005 3:12:39

HolyEvil

RE: Flamenco chord-variation chart (in reply to Ricardo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ricardo

There is a HUGE tab book w/ falsetas and fingerings. The chord book (2 books come w/ the vid) is useful if you are a guitarist who can read a chart, and already understands the rhythm of the flamenco forms. Like, you know the compas already, but want to understand the song structure (harmonic progression) of both popular and some obscure cantes. It is a good reference. You can get it from anyone selling Encuentro vids, such as Flamenco World or Flamencoconnection.

Ricardo

sorry to bring up a long dead post.. but ricardo or anyone can remember the name of this video/book?

cheers
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 17 2011 21:33:53

Ricardo

RE: Flamenco chord-variation chart (in reply to HolyEvil

quote:

ORIGINAL: HolyEvil

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ricardo

Ricardo

sorry to bring up a long dead post.. but ricardo or anyone can remember the name of this video/book?

cheers

http://faststrings.com/decordoba.html

CD's and transcriptions available here:
www.ricardomarlow.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 17 2011 22:30:24
Page:   [1]
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread