Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

RE: PdL too clinical   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: <<   <   2 3 4 5 [6]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

Pimientito

RE: PdL too clinical (in reply to Ricardo

quote:

...the flamenco guitar genre as a solo instrument somehow has managed to evolve into one of, if not THE, most advanced styles (in terms of form, technique, expression, sophistication, and difficulty in achieving mastery) on the planet. It is shameful how many flamenco aficionados don't appreciate that or take it's implications with pride, as a triumph for the genre as a whole, but would rather take the extra effort to put down one who would choose to play a guitar solo...

Excellent comment.

Images are resized automatically to a maximum width of 800px

Attachment (1)

Follow my blog http://pimientito.wordpress.com/

"Ceremonial" by Mark Shurey "Pimientito". CD and digital download vailable on Amazon and
CDbaby. http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/markshurey
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 7 2011 8:13:35

Ruphus

RE: PdL too clinical (in reply to Pimientito

In my view it appears to be a question of appreciation, or maybe better to say sophistication.

With no idea of instrument playing requirements the focus seems to rest on lyrics and vocals. Joe average, it quite seems, judges his popular music mainly by that, enjoying the ever story of neglected or craving love etc. After all, the vast of pop music is being propelled that way.
- So much that consumers don´t even realize anymore that they are celebrating the x-th musical plagiat of an original song with one other time just a new kind of vocal track on it.
As long as only the vocals being new, to audience the song will be a new invention.

Whereas for listeners who appreciate the beauty and challenge of instrument playing, the actual musical quality much rather comes into focus.

I for one always found it undue how singers are being valued far above their fellow musicians in the combo; as vocal actually being the most natural task to manage.
( If only grown up in a somewhat natural ambience, singing ability will come in rather self-evidently from ground up / not nearly as demanding like mastering an instrument. - Let alone a very challenging one like the guitar.)

This is not to devalue exceptionally gifted singers and their beautiful voices ( in all genres ), neither to dismiss the very worthy preservation of traditional cante for historical reason at the latest.

But musically (= not lyrics conveying in the first place ) it seems only consequential to me how a fascinating instrument like the flamenco guitar has shifted into foreground.
It clearly deserves it.

- The singer might be allowed to accompany it. hehe

Ruphus

PS:
Once, for a song of mine I had engaged two female singers. For reason of arrangement it needed a male background vocal too, which I did myself.
Later, one of the girls told me how she played that song to her aunt or so, and how her bewildered aunt asked her to wind back to where the male vocal was, saying like: "This singing sounds like an instrument!"
Possibly no accident.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 7 2011 11:54:19

Florian

RE: PdL too clinical (in reply to Pimientito

Yeah yeah yeah everybody loves cante bla h blah yet in my cante discussion and accompaniment examples tread it was always the same handful of the same people getting involved over and over, noone more involved than Ricardo

talk is cheap ...get involved...dont say cante is important...proove that is important and that you ve paid attention to it

that's not to anyone in particular...but id love to see the guys who say or seem to be so passionate about cante getting involved...this looped discussion is not really helping anyone...wanna help, inspire? share your wisdom ... upload some nice examples of some cante acomp...etc...something that can be actually used..something we can discuss that dosent feel like a waste of time...something worthwhile that a member reading it might actually walk away with something practical they have learned...something they can use

good point Ricardo

Id like to present a small challenge to anyone who says the love and respect cante..(prove it) .download any of the non accompanied audio tracks and accompany them and share your take on accompanying them ....that would ACCTually help...inspire and show why and how ...etc

1000 pages of writing about how much you love it and appreciate it and respect it and arguing the point wont do anything...cannot say what 4 minutes of music will

Its always amazing to me how many people there are around when we talking about loving cante....always amazed how few there are around when we doing practical examples

with soo many people loving and respecting and appreciating cante soooo much ...that thread should have been 50 pages long by now

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 7 2011 12:43:41

runner

Ricardo, you've simply got to get rid of those pesky straw men of yours; they keep coming back. Now you have me "trying to say that...solo guitar music is simply not flamenco". Let's return to my original post--it was triggered by ToddK's strange remark that one cannot understand flamenco without understanding PdL, thus implying that PdL and thus guitar were the central pillar of flamenco, when that's historically just not accurate. Flamenco's central pillar is cante (or was cante, until the cult of the guitarist became entrenched). And when I say Read About It (history), I'm not referring only and specifically to cante, but to the history of flamenco--but that history will show that cante came first, then baile and toque entered in. How about this as a new ToddK-style pronunciamento: You cannot understand flamenco unless you are familiar with its history. We can all agree on that (can't we?).

Deniz, your reply speaks for itself. Thank you. Ruphus, WTF?? Florian, the point of my posting is/was not to have a clinic on cante, but rather to (again) try to keep in the back of people's minds certain fundamental truths about flamenco's origins and structure. If this post motivates some aficionados to delve into flamenco's past, then it will have served its purpose.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 7 2011 13:35:20

Florian

RE: PdL too clinical (in reply to runner

quote:

Florian, the point of my posting is/was not to have a clinic on cante, but rather to (again) try to keep in the back of people's minds certain fundamental truths about flamenco's origins and structure

i know buddy as i said it wasn't aimed at anyone in particular...but everyone that loves cante....

its got nothing to do with this, or your point in the argument...trying to get more cante lovers more involved in a more active, practical and helpful way

If you are a man who loves and respects and appreciates cante...you are just the kind of man i was hoping could get more involved in the active side of talking and most importantly showing about acomp cante

To be honest i am a little bored with this discussion and for completely selfish reasons (sorry), i see all you cante lovers around and so i thought to myself...what a good opportunity... trying to resurrect the more active and practical one about cante

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 7 2011 13:40:21

[Deleted] (in reply to Ricardo

[Deleted by Admins]

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 7 2011 21:04:36

runner

RE: PdL too clinical (in reply to Guest

Romerito, it could not be better said than that! You have exactly expressed what I had hoped to convey in this series of posts.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 8 2011 0:03:06

[Deleted] (in reply to Guest

[Deleted by Admins]
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 8 2011 0:27:30

[Deleted by Admins]

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 8 2011 4:20:36

XXX

quote:

ORIGINAL: romerito
To ignore that history is to ignore how the solo guitar came to be.

How the solo guitar came to be doesnt interest me so much. I enjoy listening and practicing bits of solo guitar as it is played nowadays.
runner, just out of curiosity, what is your history in flamenco? Do you play guitar, sing or dance?

Фламенко
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 8 2011 7:16:43

[Deleted] (in reply to XXX

[Deleted by Admins]

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 8 2011 7:34:57

runner

There is a simple explanation for the explosive growth of flamenco guitar compared to cante: the average person who has not grown up listening to cante will be repelled by it. Cante is harsh, slurred, often strongly and disturbingly emotional, and sung by people with "untrained" and raspy voices. Out of a random group of 1,000 people, 900 will like flamenco guitar, 900 will like baile (José Greco once said that all women wanted to be loved by José Greco and that all men wanted to be José Greco), but only one person will really like cante. Among modern-day flamenco aficionados, such as those populating this Foro, the number of those enjoying cante will be larger than one out of a thousand, but it will still be far, far smaller than those whose afición is centered on the guitar. Cante is just not everybody´s cup of tea, and that´s why it never, ever could have spread flamenco throughout the world to the extent that the guitar and the dance have--no surprise at all there.

Again, none of this is to detract from the mastery of PdL or the beauty and grandeur of the best flamenco guitar (that does not accompany cante, its traditional and original role). But are the millions out there who may be grooving on the various guitar gods of flamenco being exposed to the full essence and core of what flamenco is/was? I don't think so, and, if they were, a huge majority wouldn't like flamenco at all (all that nasty, screeching "singing"--who likes that??). Just sit somebody down and show them Agujetas singing his martinete on Saura's Flamenco DVD, and see how long they last.

Deniz, I'm happy to answer your question. My interest in flamenco is strictly that of a non-performing aficionado. I fell in love with cante flamenco back in the 1950s, and have loved it ever since, even though everyone I've ever exposed to cante has hated it, though they love the guitar and the dancing.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 8 2011 13:47:00

Ricardo

RE: PdL too clinical (in reply to runner

quote:

But are the millions out there who may be grooving on the various guitar gods of flamenco being exposed to the full essence and core of what flamenco is/was? I don't think so, and, if they were, a huge majority wouldn't like flamenco at all (all that nasty, screeching "singing"--who likes that??).

Lot of assumptions there. I am sure there are not "millions" that view flamenco guitar FIGURAS (gods if you must use the term), but among the perhaps thousands, I doubt the fans are totally unaware of any of their guitar heroes work with singers. In fact in cases such as Vicente Amigo, who has produced albums FOR singers that have had huge success such as Jose Merce, it turns out to be a commercial hit...at least in Spain. Of course abroad there will be more guitar albums sold, but when you are counting heads of who cares about a "flamenco guitar hero", you have to include everyone.

Perhaps Jose's album would not have been such a hit if not for Vicente's name on it? But wait, then he played with only Moraito and sold EVEN MORE. And even did a tour that included USA.

It is true the audience for cante has always been and always will be elite. I put flamenco guitar solo in the same "elite" bin, compared to the world of guitar lovers. In spain you don't see many guitar concerts compared to cante. In fact you don't get as much dance either as outside spain.

Now an interesting question. Who has sold more recordings, Pepe Marchena or Jesus del Rosario? Camaron or Manolo Sanlucar? Manolo Caracol or Gerardo Nuñez?

Once again, none of this topic is appropriate for the point about PDL being important to listen to or hyped up as an artist. I felt ToddK's remark to a one years level GUITAR student (a "wannabe" is not such a nice term for a student) about Paco's importance never implied he or guitar in general was the only pillar of flamenco...but even if it DID, taken as a whole, Paco 's work with singers is also exemplary and implied as something to be looked at. It was never implied one needs to look at ONLY paco's solo guitar work (although many have stated they prefer his older period to his recent work).

Simple fact:Flamenco is 3 pillars big. Depending on where you are, or who you are, any one of the 3 may seem larger in terms of popularity or artistic merit, or historically, or simply what has great meaning to you. At certain point a guitar student needs to focus on just guitar. At another time, baile. And at another time focus only on cante. All 3 are important for appreciating the art form completely.

CD's and transcriptions available here:
www.ricardomarlow.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 8 2011 14:55:18

elroby

[Deleted] 

Post has been moved to the Recycle Bin at May 5 2012 4:24:27
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 8 2011 15:12:20

Ricardo

RE: PdL too clinical (in reply to elroby

quote:

ORIGINAL: elroby

quote:

Just sit somebody down and show them Agujetas singing his martinete on Saura's Flamenco DVD, and see how long they last.

Very well said. My first interest was guitar followed closely by dancing, cante was something I had to tolerate in order to work and I used to feel terribly inadequate for failing to grasp what others were telling me I should be feeling. I now enjoy it tremendously but it was a slow, slow process of many years of listening and learning.

Problem is you can't just force people in like that and then be disappointed average joe america doesn't like it. You have to ease em in with this first:

and then

And if they STILL don't like Agujeta's martinete, well then I guess they must just be guitar heads and all is lost.

CD's and transcriptions available here:
www.ricardomarlow.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 8 2011 15:29:45

runner

Ricardo, thanks for calling me out on my use of the term "millions". I don't have access to album sales figures or concert attendance, so "many thousands" would have been a better choice. On another point: do you have an answer to your question about relative sales of the cantaores you mentioned vs. the guitarists? I'll join the others who would like to know. I will note that Pepe Marchena had a long career founded on deeply corrupting and altering cante so as to attract a much larger audience that just wasn't there for traditional cante, especially cante gitano. He sold lots of recordings. Pohren covers this well in Lives and Legends of Flamenco. Manolo Caracol was a fantastic singer of authentic cante, when he wanted to be, but, also in a long career, he would sing just about anything that would make him pesos, so his sales, while large, only have a small flamenco component. Camaron's career took place during a period of profound change in what many considered flamenco, and he surfed that wave until he died, so we'll have to postpone judgement for a while. But your hints about relative sales really don't alter the truth about traditional cante and its relative popularity. Elroby states accurately the reality of the situation.

I, for one, am not disappointed that average joe america doesn't like cante. For the reasons I mentioned above, it would be amazing if he did. Cante is an acquired taste, and will appeal only to a relative few, compared to toque and baile. That's just the way it is.

P.S. Great YouTube selections!!
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 8 2011 16:07:37

BarkellWH

quote:

Simple fact:Flamenco is 3 pillars big. Depending on where you are, or who you are, any one of the 3 may seem larger in terms of popularity or artistic merit, or historically, or simply what has great meaning to you. At certain point a guitar student needs to focus on just guitar. At another time, baile. And at another time focus only on cante. All 3 are important for appreciating the art form completely.

After all the verbiage expended on the topic, the above-cited statement sums it up best. And while some may like only guitar and not cante (which is a perfectly legitimate stance based on taste), they will not truly understand the origins, development and, ultimately, flamenco as it exists today. The last line above is key: "All three are important for appreciating the art form COMPLETELY." (Emphasis mine.)

Cheers,

Bill

And the end of the fight is a tombstone white,
With the name of the late deceased,
And the epitaph drear, "A fool lies here,
Who tried to hustle the East."

--Rudyard Kipling
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 8 2011 17:45:52

[Deleted by Admins]

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 8 2011 23:48:02
Page:   <<   <   2 3 4 5 [6]