Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

tuning a guitar top   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>Lutherie >> Page: [1]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

Gimar Yestra

tuning a guitar top 

ok so I just started glueing the fan braces to my top (pictures soon on my build thread).

what im curious about is, do you guys tune the top before or after glueing the harmonic bars? I know some rough shaping is done before glueing the harmonic bars because its easier to reach.

I understand there are a lot of but's and if's but im curious to hear some thoughts.

www.yestragitaarbouw.nl
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 16 2011 21:51:29

Andy Culpepper

RE: tuning a guitar top (in reply to Gimar Yestra

My advice would be to gather as much information as possible at every point in the process. Glue on the fan braces, tap/flex. Carve them, tap/flex. Glue on the cutoffs, tap/flex, etc.
You may not know if you are hearing and feeling what you're supposed to, but at least it will feed your intuition for future guitars.
As far as "tuning" a top, my own personal opinion is that your thumbs are more important than your ears at this stage. After the top is assembled I flex it at various places, long grain and cross grain, and work towards a target stiffness by perhaps shaving or tapering down certain braces differently. Mostly what I change is the braces at the edge, i.e. outer fans or cutoffs. You pretty much know that you need a certain amount of long-grain stiffness to resist the string pull, so I mostly fiddle with the cross-grain stiffness.
Then when the guitar is assembled I take down the top thickness until I think it's right.
I would urge you to glue the bridge on before you finish so you can play the guitar "in the white". That's where I do most of my voicing because you have access to top thickness taper, bridge wings, and even braces through the soundhole. And more importantly, you can actually hear the sound of the guitar!
Hope that helped.

Andy Culpepper, luthier
http://www.andyculpepper.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 16 2011 22:33:20

Gimar Yestra

thanks Andy, every input is appreciated.

I do flex and tap non-stop, I'm used to doing this from the steelstrings and archtops I've build in the past, and I always tested acoustic guitars in the white before finishing them, also because I cant wait to hear is a guitar turned out ok :-)

so far I've only glued on the fan braces and the closing bars (im drew a bracing patters somewhat iclose to the Barbero bracing pattern). So the next step would be the harmonic bars and shaping them.
I guess I'll just go for it, I'm definatly making more flamenco guitars in the future, so I might aswell get it over with and learn from it.

www.yestragitaarbouw.nl
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 16 2011 23:30:07

MarTay6

Gimar-
As you have questions tuning a guitar top, so do others behind you... it would be of benefit to all if you kept docmnenting your efforts/results for others behind you to follow! Especially a video of the sound of the finished effort!
Good luck!
Wes
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 17 2011 12:37:37

Gimar Yestra

my questiong wasn't realy about HOW to tune a top, I know how to tune a steelstring top.

but i'd like to share my toughts on tuning a top from steelstring and archtop guitar making experience... I'm by no means an expert, so dont read the below as being the thruth, this is just my interpetation and this works for me sofar :-)

also i might want to add that I was trained by a master luthier, eventhough never building acoustics while being an appretice, i was always interested by tap tuning and acoustic guitar making, so my master told me alot of his ways etc.... I just never seen him build a flamenco :D

Tap tones can be a guideline, but don't give a guarantee for a good guitar.
Ive inspected some flamenco guitars (1 gerundino blanca, 1 Eliasson blanca and 1 Eliasson negra) all 3 guitars had a top pitch of around F# /G the backs were +- 2 semi tones up in pitch (so around G#/A).
Ive also read articles wich pretty much gave the same guideline.

You can tell the pitch by tapping the top or back, and finding the same note on the fretboard (make sure all strings are tuned lol).

if you have a high mass on the top (overbraced) you will hear a high pitch, lower mass will produce a lower pitched tap tone.. so there is the guideline wich gives you and idea of how much mass there is on the top.

find some cheapass guitar and tap the top and back and find out what pitches they are, you will most likely find them to be rather high pitched, then there is the whole top and back thickness/stiffness issue, wich is mostly experience I think.

the real thing is WHERE you take away wood, obviously you want the whole top to be able to vibrate, so around the edges the braces are made thinner to allow for more flexability. but these things are mostly experience aswell.

curious to hear some other toughts.

www.yestragitaarbouw.nl
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 17 2011 13:46:58

Stephen Eden

I go shave the braces the add the harmonic bars, shape them and then adjust accordingly. When using the closing struts I add them at the same time as the harmonic bars shape and tune from there on. Its the way I have always done it so I continue this way so I can gain most understanding out of every instrument.

I find tapping very important. Its not just the main pitch that that you need to listen to but the the other virations around it. The real trick is finding your own voice. Don't get too wrapped up in my top must be this and my back must be that.

For me all top thicknessing is finished before I glue the struts on. I even polish with the bridge off to get an easier and nicer finish on the top.

Classical and Flamenco Guitars www.EdenGuitars.co.uk
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 17 2011 16:37:54

Gimar Yestra

thank for your input SEden. Im not strictly using the pitches and what my top HAS to be, likei say in my previous post, i use it as an indicator, this is my first flamenco guitar, so i have no clue where to go and where to end.

I just shaped and finished the braces today (just finished actually), im recharging some batteries and then I'll take some pictures and post them in my build thread.

I have to say it was a bit different to tune my flamenco top compared to the steelstrings Ive build.
Steelstring tops give more indication imo of what to expect by just tapping, loud snappy tap (gives an idea about the attack and high end), sustain, the lowend can be heard very well and the overall balance between trebble and bass

For (in this case) my first flamenco top it all sounded kind of liveless, wich makes sence because its such a thin top and light bracing etc.

The top is now slightly under F# and I made the back to match 2 semitones higher in pitch. So I can keep these pitches in mind for a future build.

I also might add that I made the top 2mm thick, back 2.2mm thick.

well see how this turns out.

www.yestragitaarbouw.nl
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 17 2011 16:55:27

Gimar Yestra

here a pic of the top

Images are resized automatically to a maximum width of 800px

Attachment (1)

www.yestragitaarbouw.nl
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 17 2011 18:00:54
Page:   [1]
All Forums >>Discussions >>Lutherie >> Page: [1]