Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

RE: Union Prize winners 2011   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: <<   <   1 [2]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

bursche

RE: Union Prize winners 2011 (in reply to Pgh_flamenco

Yeah...the doodle stuff...

Visit me on Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCRaGz6Lf-Uz0HxUv-dGQFLQ
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 19 2011 15:32:54

ralexander

RE: Union Prize winners 2011 (in reply to bursche

quote:

ORIGINAL: bursche
Jeronimo Maya does it too.

indeed - example at 2:14 here:

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 19 2011 16:25:54

Doitsujin

RE: Union Prize winners 2011 (in reply to Pimientito

quote:

He posted the video on facebook today, enjoy.

'If I am late sorry. This taranta kind of is played with an incredible technique, but it is absolutely boring and from a musically point of view very poor. It is just a technical demonstration and a torture for my ears. Im sure he has better stuff. If not,...what a waste of talent.

By the way, for this Jeronimo bulerias just above my post here the same things are true. It is crap.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 19 2011 18:02:30

veet

RE: Union Prize winners 2011 (in reply to Pimientito

.. I too was thrilled to see that a So. California friend, Lakshmi Basile, took the 2nd prize in baile. I've been watching her develop her art for years, and this is a huge honor.

Vytas
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 20 2011 0:24:03

Estevan

quote:

There is a Guajira he played after it, but I can't seem to find the video again.

It's re-appeared:

(I wish that he hadn't disfigured his grandfather's guitar with the clip-on tuner that is so trendy in Spain these days ).

There are also a couple of pieces from the "third semi-final" - that same taranta, and here's a rondeña:

Me da igual. La música es música.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 20 2011 17:49:02

Andy Culpepper

He is an interesting player. He doesn't seem to follow the trends of the other young hotshots coming up these days.. his playing is more just old school jaw-dropping technique, very structured with not too many weird harmonies. I'd be tempted to call him the new Serranito. I like that because I think he has immense respect for the older generations, his playing is more studious but he is definitely pushing the technique forward. Some of his compositions don't do much for me but I think he's an amazingly solid and strong player and he deserved the prize.

Andy Culpepper, luthier
http://www.andyculpepper.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 21 2011 16:00:28

ralexander

RE: Union Prize winners 2011 (in reply to Doitsujin

quote:

By the way, for this Jeronimo bulerias just above my post here the same things are true. It is crap.

I've been trying to think of an appropriate response for this for the last few days, but I can't find the words. To each their own, Doit!

I haven't listened to much from Juan Habichuela Nieto, and my first gut reactions were similar to what some have already said. His musicality and technique seem a bit unbalanced, however it's clear that he is a great player. I find it difficult to judge players on just a few videos, and the more I listen the more I like him. I think Orson made a good point about how the vibe and energy of a live performance is sometimes difficult to appreciate through a recording. I have several live recordings from shows I have attended, and I've definitely found this to be true.

There are some nice vids on youtube of him accompanying Enrique Morente (padre y hijo) - check it out.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 24 2011 13:46:57

Kate

RE: Union Prize winners 2011 (in reply to veet

quote:

ORIGINAL: veet

.. I too was thrilled to see that a So. California friend, Lakshmi Basile, took the 2nd prize in baile. I've been watching her develop her art for years, and this is a huge honor.

Vytas

Oh yes, she must be thrilled. Not many foreigners get honoured at La Union.

I am going to see Juan Habichuela Nieto tonight do a homage to Morente at the Caves of the Sacromonte. That is if I have the energy to climb the hill in this heat We have recorded him a few times in the studio, he is a lovely gentle person and an amazing player and still so very young. We were delighted to hear he had won at La Union.

Emilio Maya Temple
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000CA6OBC
http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/emiliomaya
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 24 2011 14:07:22

omvipul15

RE: Union Prize winners 2011 (in reply to rombsix

does juan habichuela nieto teaches flamenco ???
is there anyway to contact him,? i am looking for long term devotion to a teacher
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 19 2017 22:18:57
Page:   <<   <   1 [2]
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: <<   <   1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post