Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

Doctor Compás flamenco metronome available for iPhone/iPod/iPad   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>Resources >> Page: [1] 2 3    >   >>
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

Maissam

Doctor Compás flamenco metronome av... 

Hi everyone,

I just wanted to let you know that the flamenco metronome Doctor Compás is now available on the Apple app store for iPhone/iPod/iPad.

I hope you enjoy it!

www.doctorcompas.com

-Maissam
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 10 2011 1:24:25

Gummy

RE: Doctor Compás flamenco metronom... (in reply to Maissam

Are you guys still considering a vst plugn for DAWs?
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 10 2011 1:32:50

HolyEvil

hey mate.. i downloaded it on my iphone 4 cuz of my router has problem dropping off... wanted to transfer it to my iphone 3 which i use as my metronome/tuner etc in my home..
I transfered it from my iphone 4 to my PC itunes, but when I transfered the purchase from my PC itunes to the iphone 3, it defaulted back to the demo version. Is there anyway around this?

cheers
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 10 2011 2:35:49

Maissam

RE: Doctor Compás flamenco metronom... (in reply to HolyEvil

@Gummy: Yes we are, but we have lots of other things to do first!

@HolyEvil: If you just try to buy it again with the same app store account, apple will remember that you already bought it and shouldn't charge you to download the full version again on your other iPhone.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 10 2011 2:43:36

HolyEvil

awesome mate.. thanks for a fantastic product..
can't wait to show my mates.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 10 2011 2:47:27

Adam

Awesome Maissam, thanks!

Waiting on the Mac version myself, and will be mostly using the free online version in the meantime - it's just more convenient, my laptop is plugged into my speakers more often than my iPhone is!
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 10 2011 5:40:18

Munin

For an iPhone app, I find that price a bit too much if it doesn't feature anything more than the web version does, which is fantastic, but...yeah. I'll buy it sooner or later.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 10 2011 6:06:19

Maissam

RE: Doctor Compás flamenco metronom... (in reply to Munin

The iPhone version actually has many new features that the online version did not have. The sounds are all new Hi-Def samples that sound a lot better and smoother, the sounds are non-repeating, and there are expanded improvisation parameters.

The online free applet was always meant to be a temporary version for beta testing and was meant to be taken down once a proper version was released. Hopefully we'll have the desktop version ready for release soon, but I don't know how long that will take to finish. I think this is well worth the price, given the available alternatives.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 10 2011 7:15:08

Munin

Alright, I didn't know that! That makes it a lot more reasonable.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 10 2011 7:46:59

machopicasso

quote:

Hopefully we'll have the desktop version ready for release soon, but I don't know how long that will take to finish.

Will the desktop version come out before the Droid version?
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 10 2011 8:34:33

Rmn

Hello Maissam, I was really addicted to the online version of Doctor Compas and was really looking forward to this version. I just bought it for my iphone. So thanks a lot.

How ever, I find that the previous version had much better sound to it. The cajon was basier and the palmas had more punch. Also it had a lot of flow and swing to it (especially the regular buleria at 220, sublime!) Very inspiring, I could play along with doctor compas for a couple of hours on just one palo.
This feeling of inspiration is not when I played together with the new version.

Could it just be that I am expecting a certain sound that I am used to?
It feels to me like you took out some compression, I might be wrong though)

Thanks a lot once again for this wonderful program
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 10 2011 18:09:48

Rmn

and is there any way to be able to use the old program? Or that you release two versions? I would surely buy it. Sorry if I am being to rude by asking about the old version while you are very proud on the new one. I think it's a matter of taste.

cheers

Ramon
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 10 2011 18:17:05

Maissam

RE: Doctor Compás flamenco metronom... (in reply to Rmn

quote:

Hello Maissam, I was really addicted to the online version of Doctor Compas and was really looking forward to this version. I just bought it for my iphone. So thanks a lot.

How ever, I find that the previous version had much better sound to it. The cajon was basier and the palmas had more punch. Also it had a lot of flow and swing to it (especially the regular buleria at 220, sublime!) Very inspiring, I could play along with doctor compas for a couple of hours on just one palo.
This feeling of inspiration is not when I played together with the new version.

Could it just be that I am expecting a certain sound that I am used to?
It feels to me like you took out some compression, I might be wrong though)

Thanks a lot once again for this wonderful program

We thought about giving the option to switch back to the original samples that we were using in the beta version, but given that they were recorded poorly with a laptop built-in microphone we opted not to include them. I am sure given a little time for your ear to adjust, you will enjoy the new samples even more. I had the same reaction as you at first, but then I started to prefer the new samples.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 11 2011 23:33:15

kozz

Nice app!
Great grooves, that what makes it interesting, and far better than most metronomes with a lot of functionality

Maybe some small criticism:
- it runs on an iPad, but its not an iPad app
- output volume is low
- I'd like to be able to adjust volumes on-the-fly, without stopping the metronome.

Looking forward to the osx version!

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 13 2011 10:41:22

Maissam

RE: Doctor Compás flamenco metronom... (in reply to kozz

Hey Kozz,

I'm glad you like it. Thanks for the comments also. We know about the issues you raised, and we gave them a lot of thought when we were designing Doctor Compás....

We decided to keep the audio clean and distortion-free rather than slam it into the top of the device's A/D converters because Jason has an appreciation for good audio practices. Plug into a a great speaker system and enjoy the quality or put an earphone in one ear. Hopefully in future updates we can make it louder, but it's generally a compromise between sound quality and volume.

Adjusting volumes of individual palmas/cajon tracks on the fly doesn't really gel with the multi-track improvising that the app is doing right now; it looks like a limitation of the iPhone's audio properties. You can of course adjust the overall loudness on the fly using your iPhone's volume control.

It's true that it's not specifically designed for the iPad, but it runs on the iPad, and since it's just the two of us working in our spare time, we don't really have the resources to make an app specifically for the iPad. Maybe down the road we can polish the iPad version.

www.doctorcompas.com
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/doctor-compas/id449504071?mt=8
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 17 2011 7:43:54

machopicasso

quote:

It's true that it's not specifically designed for the iPad, but it runs on the iPad, and since it's just the two of us working in our spare time, we don't really have the resources to make an app specifically for the iPad.

When do you expect additional versions to come out (e.g. for desktop, Android, etc.)?
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 17 2011 9:30:38

kozz

quote:

Hey Kozz,

I'm glad you like it. Thanks for the comments also. We know about the issues you raised, and we gave them a lot of thought when we were designing Doctor Compás....

No probs Maissam!
Finally an inspirational metronome, thats what counts!

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 17 2011 9:37:27

orsonw

RE: Doctor Compás flamenco metronom... (in reply to kozz

If, as you say, it will be 6 months before a Mac version, is it possible to make the old online version available to buy for desktop now and then allow an upgrade later?
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 17 2011 12:26:34

Adam

RE: Doctor Compás flamenco metronom... (in reply to orsonw

quote:

ORIGINAL: orsonw

If, as you say, it will be 6 months before a Mac version, is it possible to make the old online version available to buy for desktop now and then allow an upgrade later?

Agreed. It's kinda BS that now that the iPhone version is out, those of us who don't have iOS or want to use the Mac/PC version can't anymore. Seriously, it was a great web service, leave it up until the paid versions for desktop platforms come out.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 17 2011 16:13:15

Maissam

RE: Doctor Compás flamenco metronom... (in reply to Adam

@Ramparts and orsonw:

I'm really sorry for the disappointment. These things would be much smoother, but we have limited time and money to spend on Doctor Compás. The problem was that since the iPhone version had significantly been updated with new samples, improved improvisational capabilities, and graphics, the free beta online version didn't accurately reflect the improvements of the iPhone version. We didn't want Doctor Compás to be judged based on the free online version that was put up for testing purposes. We also wanted to release the iPhone version asap because many people had been asking for it, so we didn't wait to first also update the desktop version.

We are in the process of making the updates for that desktop version and finding a way to release it (Apple makes the sales side of things very easy; for the desktop version, we are more on our own). Since you guys had found the desktop version very useful and don't have the iOS, we'll try to find a way to make it available, in one way or another, asap.

As far as timeframe for the droid -- I would suggest buying an iPod :) The droid version is going to take a while, because first we have to finish the desktop version, and for droid we have to rebuild everything from scratch. Honestly I don't really see it happening until 2012.

www.doctorcompas.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 17 2011 16:47:39

machopicasso

quote:

As far as timeframe for the droid -- I would suggest buying an iPod :) The droid version is going to take a while, because first we have to finish the desktop version, and for droid we have to rebuild everything from scratch. Honestly I don't really see it happening until 2012.

No problem. Thanks for your honest assessment.

Since you're finishing the desktop version first, do you think that might be available within the next couple of months?
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 18 2011 9:42:13

Escribano

quote:

The droid version is going to take a while, because first we have to finish the desktop version, and for droid we have to rebuild everything from scratch.

You might look at Titanium Desktop and Mobile from Appcelerator that cross compiles to iOS, desktop and android for your next version. Blackberry is in beta trials. Its language is JavaScript but that compiles down to the native platforms. It may not handle the intricate, low level timings you need, but you can write native modules and expose them to the framework.

I have been impressed with the speed of development and if you can do without the IDA/debugger, it's free download or else $50 a month subscription.

Just a thought.

Foro Flamenco founder and Admin
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 18 2011 10:24:39

bule_b

Trying to decide between the BeatVibe" or the "Dr. Compas" for my iphone.

The Beatvibe website has a video showing how the app works and its functonality.

Are there any youtube videos showcasing the Dr. Compas functionality??
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 20 2011 16:55:52

Maissam

RE: Doctor Compás flamenco metronom... (in reply to bule_b

@bule_b:

You can download the limited version of Doctor Compás for free and try it out, then upgrade to the full version via an in-app purchase. We have some cool videos coming for people to see the app in action. Here's a short one with Yaelisa:

@Simon: thanks a lot for the info. We'll definitely check that out to see if it's helpful.

www.doctorcompas.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 20 2011 17:15:56

marduk

i love it! its really handy because I dont get to practice with many people outside of classes.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 21 2011 18:11:12

Florian

RE: Doctor Compás flamenco metronom... (in reply to marduk

Jason has got some brilliant ideas ...and best thing about it is that he follows up on them..

i wish i had one of those trendy Iphone like all you damn trendy people :-) but here noone gives any credit for a phone plan with a phone you pay off to just a musician (too risky and unstable) and they like $1800 or something to buy outright no ?...i did play around on it and love the phone tho...just got a wait for a good paying gig

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 21 2011 18:19:37

gounaro

Waiting for PC version!

Spyros
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 21 2011 18:28:28

Maissam

RE: Doctor Compás flamenco metronom... (in reply to gounaro

hey Florian,

You actually don't need an iPhone with a full data plan. You can just get an iPod touch; that also allows you to download apps from the iTunes app store. Actually if you buy a new iPod touch + Doctor Compás, it'll still come out cheaper than Oscar Herrero's metronome and it does other things too :)

www.doctorcompas.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 21 2011 18:34:45

Florian

i thought of that but then in my pocket i would have to cary my phone and an Ipad touch ...a little bulky

is he doing a pc version too ?

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 21 2011 18:36:52

orsonw

quote:

You can just get an iPod touch

I thought of this and looked at cheaper old generation itouch but your app needs the 4th generation and that cost about as much as an iphone.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 21 2011 18:47:31
Page:   [1] 2 3    >   >>
All Forums >>Discussions >>Resources >> Page: [1] 2 3    >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post