Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

Exercises for Tendonitis and Carpal Tunnel Syndrome   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>Resources >> Page: [1]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

machopicasso

Exercises for Tendonitis and Carpal ... 

I ran across these exercises for obviating tendonitis and carpal tunnel in the wrists and hands. David Kuckhermann is a percussionist, but I suspect the exercises might be beneficial for flamenco guitarists, as well.

http://www.framedrums.net/exercises-for-tendonitis-and-carpal-tunnel/
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 7 2011 9:55:44

Ruphus

RE: Exercises for Tendonitis and Car... (in reply to machopicasso

The problem tried to tackle here, are shortened muscles of the lower arm which again result in constant pull of tendons / CTS and possible inbalance on cartilage loading within joints.

Stretching as shown in the 3 first pictures will change only very little on the situation, as the unconscious tore-omitting contraction means a too little impulse for building up muscular cells length wise / hence muscle prolongation in considerable quantity.

What the exercises in the third picture are concerned: These are useful to a degree, however, as dynamic execution once again inefficient in regard of efforts-to-effect ratio.

If anyone is being interested in efficiently tailored exercises for prophylaxis against and healing of carpal tunnel syndrom, as well as for achieving extremely strong hands across the complete moving range and flexible wrist, I will take the time to try and describe efficient exercise.

Ruphus
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 7 2011 12:14:50

Steve Wright

RE: Exercises for Tendonitis and Car... (in reply to Ruphus

quote:

Exercises for Tendonitis and Carpal Tunnel Syndrome

I'm very interested to hear more.

I'm sure some details on these exercises for prevention and healing will benefit most of us if we take the time to follow through. I'm basically disabled with this, although I still manage to play a little - but the damage has been going on for 6 months or more.

Rhythm, grace & passion. El ritmo, gracia & la pasión
Be the change you want to see in this world - Gandhi

http://www.youtube.com/user/FusionMusic1000
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 7 2011 23:00:16

Ruphus

Hello Steve,

Thank you for your PM.
As you describe you are going through some hefty pain from complex issues. I am sorry to hear that and wish you healing as soon as possible.

Causes seem uncertain and from what comes to mind could include numerous indications apart of muscular ones, like defficiency of encapsuled joints liquid, inflammation of pouch or bone skin ( for lack of proper termini on my side ), neuronal or metabolism background etc., or a partial mixture of thelikes.

Yet, I am sure that it shouldn´t be detrimental to try and see what muscle prolongation can do, as it can only easen the situation. Especially with determined isometric approach that should avoid challenging anything other than muscles, and that as efficiently with muscle growth as practically possible.

Prolonging muscles actually won´t change the distance between muscle ends, but it will mean growing muscle cells lengthwise and replace tendon cells of shortened muscles with muscle cells. ( = lesser tendon, more muscle )

Muscle cells work sorts of like pistons in cylinders. And with shortend muscles a smaller number of cells will have to execute what otherwise a greater number of cells would be doing over the same total distance. Thus the cells of shortened muscles are forced to working outside the cells idle range, whenever the muscle can´t start out from bended state. In other words: With shortened muscles you will be weak outside of the optimal range. ( Thinking of bizeps = Only strong with arm bended / weak when extended.)
Also, as said above, shortened muscels mean constant pulling / entangling of tendons respectively joints which tends to produce susceptibility and secondary issues.

For tackling preconditions and status of carpal tunnel snydrom ( and developing strongest hands you ever had, even if you are a body builder ):

We start out with the exercise for the extending muscle groups of the lower arm, even if to those sensing CTS it might be appearing paradox at first .
I have digged out some of my old drawings, scanned and uploaded below to help envision postures.

Knee down like in picture 21.
Apply the back side of hands on the floor, keeping the hands close to each other. Place your hands as far ahead of your body as you can, provided that:
# the whole of the hands back side resting flat on the ground.
# your ellbow being stretched out / not bended.

You will feel a fierce stretching of the wrist and of the lower arms extendors.

A.
Now concentrate on letting go the unconscious resistance against the stretch / hence relaxe despite the discomfort.
When done, you´ll find that you can stretch a little bit further. Do so by slowly pushing your butt side further backwards / towards your feet.

B.
Now, stretched to max ( always within the yellow range of your red light of pain, but not further than that!), targetly and strongly contract your lower arms extensors as if wanting to push your hands backside through the ground / straightening out.
Do so for at least 6 seconds, ideally for 8 seconds. ( And exhale while you do.)
However, strictly watch out to not give way ( seek comfort ) by bending ellbows / moving forward rear side, whilst contracting.
After contracting, relax. ( Again, without in the least giving way in the posture. Only relax the muscles, without any outer move.)

After having made sure that you really relaxed, you´ll find that there has come up more room fro stretching now. Move your rear side further backwards to have the wrist bended a tad more once again.
Then repeat as in paragraph "B".

The stretch, contracting and relaxing should be done three times in a raw before you are finished with the exercise.

When done, while releasing off the posture, take care to let go only very slowly and evenly ( not abruptly!)
Then shake your hands lose very gently for a couple of seconds, as if it were dead extremities.

Execute this exersice once or twice a day, every second day over the course of 10 to 14 days, before you start training the antagonists ( flexors ) too as shown in picture 22.
You should then alternate these two exercises daily, like today ex. 21, tomorrow ex.22, next day 21 ... etc.

I have seen people´s surgery appointments for CTS scratched after them having started these exercises for just a couple of weeks, but naturally it remains recommendable to continue doing these regularly, especially if you are a work station employee, secretary, tennis player etc. with habitual one-sided daily excutions.

Don´t hesitate to ask if there remain questions on how to do.

Ruphus

Images are resized automatically to a maximum width of 800px
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 8 2011 12:30:43

Ruphus

PS:
Just realized that the upload feature is turned off right now.
Will add the pics when the feature is back.

For your special case, Steve, I have three more exercises, which will follow when I can load up the drawings.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 8 2011 12:34:24

Steve Wright

Thanks for that Rufus. My friend has a similar problem on his left shoulder and was told that the muscles have wasted and are not holding the arm in its socket. So I think like you - that to build some muscle with your specific exercises will do no harm. I very much appreciate your detailed response.
Kind Regards - Steve Wright

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 8 2011 12:42:10

Ruphus

Hello Steve,

Having realized that uploading is not possible in this section, I loaded them elsewhere and linked to them.
( See image in above post.)

Here are additional exercises, with No.16 & 18 help covering the apparatus that is bothering you. ( Whilst all three should be suiting your friend and his problem with the shoulder.)

You see only positions for one side / arm, thus do them also in a mirrored way for the other arm. ( Whereas your friend, at first maybe exercising only the left side, should do both sides after his shoulder having become painless; in order to prevent imbalance of the shoulders.)
Execute in the same principle way as described for the lower arm exercises. ( relax, prolong, contract; repeat 3 times )
If you have questions don´t hesitate to ask.

Ruphus

Images are resized automatically to a maximum width of 800px
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 11 2011 12:02:08

Steve Wright

Thanks for all this work Rufus, I shall pass on this info. I have spoken to yet another friend who has a similar problem. I hadn't even mentioned my problem and she just started explaining her pain. These exercises are going to cause a lot of pain, but I realize that the whole point is to keep mobility and hopefully lessen the pain by stretching these muscles. Last night was an almost morbid night. I did a bit of driving and found that when reversing to park the car, my tendons in my left hand were so painful that my hand had little power to actually put the gear-stick into the reverse position. This is the "lift" the gear stick and push position. It was the lifting with the 'M' and 'A' fingers. Got these feelings like guitar days could be over soon - so it's good to get exercises to try to correct this. I also have Fibromyalgia which complicate everything.

Very grateful Rufus for all your help. - Steve

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 11 2011 13:19:24

Ruphus

You are very welcome, Steve! :O)
And I´d love to hear later on how things developed.

Yes, these exercises are painful even when in healthy condition, let alone in your case, for them equalling concentrated effect on spot. ( Like say all the pain one perceives during dynamic repetiitions, gathered in those few seconds of isometric contraction.)
Don´t let yourself be discouraged from the first painfull days ( and stay within challenging yet reasonable measures of stretching and contracting. - Listen to your body ).

The benefit of it on the other hand is the extreme efficiency. So far the principle has shown such healing effects that most of the people recovered within too short time to remember the exercises correctly / keep practising.

Only keep in mind to leave one day off for each treated muscle group, for a 48 hour of building new cells.

All the best!

Ruphus
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 11 2011 13:38:23

Georg

I've got similar problems. Unfortunately, I can't see the pictures. Is there any way for me to get them?

Thanks
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 7 2013 12:09:10

Ruphus

Thank you for the PM, Georg!

I just found out how har it is to find certain .jpg when havn´t organized gigabites of them.
Fell free to ask if something is not clear. I can describe in German then.

- Ok, just realized that piics can´t be uploaded in this section.
Shall be back in a minute.

Ruphus
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 12 2013 19:40:42

Ruphus

As to be expected over here, the censors have blocked all hosts for image uploading.
Thus, I´ve sent them to you per PM.

Cheers,

Ruphus
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 12 2013 20:05:48
Page:   [1]
All Forums >>Discussions >>Resources >> Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message