Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

Takamine flamenco guitars   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>Product Reviews >> Page: [1]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

rombsix

Takamine flamenco guitars 

I was just wondering if they made flamencos... Their official website doesn't say so, but there is evidence on the internet.

http://www.promusicaustralia.com/guitar/TAKJImages/takamine_efg136s.jpg

Ramzi

http://www.youtube.com/rombsix
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 25 2011 16:15:37

El Kiko

RE: Takamine flamenco guitars (in reply to rombsix

but really nice playing though ,,,,,doesnt matter what kind of guitar ,,,,,,,,
he says it one of these though
but I dont think so .

Don't trust Atoms.....they make up everything.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 25 2011 16:21:11

rombsix

RE: Takamine flamenco guitars (in reply to El Kiko

quote:

he says it one of these though
but I dont think so .

Yeah, I agree. This one's a blanca, and the one he's playing seems to be a negra.

Ramzi

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 26 2011 9:51:24

Ruphus

I was acquaintance of two Spanish flamencos who used cutaway flamencas from Takamine for their restaurant gigs in Berlin.
They were quite fond of these, whereas I found them to be not bad / mediocre sounding.

Ruphus
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 26 2011 13:23:34

rombsix

RE: Takamine flamenco guitars (in reply to Ruphus

In the other video, he says it's THIS he's using:

Takamine CD 132 SC

Indeed, that is the case - it matches with what he's playing.

Ruphus: I guess a luthier-made guitar with an external mic would sound better, but they probably like them for the versatility / ease-of-use / functionality.

Cheers!

Ramzi

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 26 2011 14:40:23

GuitarVlog

To the best of my knowledge, Takamine has not made any flamenco guitars. Their acoustic-electrics however were reputed to have had some of the best factory-installed electronics for a while. They are still supposed to be quite good.

So when it comes to needing an amped guitar where one can shape the tone with a light addition of effects or tone adjustment, I don't think it's surprising that Takamine might be one of the choices.

It's my understanding that the C132S (which is a cedar-topped classical guitar; no cutaway or electronics) was at one time one of the more recommended student guitars in college classical guitar programs. It was regarded as a decent and affordable choice then. It was the only Japanese-made (not just Japanese-labeled) guitar that could be had under $500. Now it costs around $900.

Upgraded Yamaha CG171SF
The Guitar Student Journal
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 26 2011 15:19:51

Ramon Amira

Takamine does not make a flamenco guitar. And yes, their C132S was and still is a highly regarded classical guitar in its price range.

Ramon

Classical and flamenco guitars from Spain Ramon Amira Guitars
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 26 2011 20:58:40

iMarcosa

In the 60's -70's while serving in Vietnam, on my last trip home I had 30day R&R in Japan and traveled all over by train. I went to the Takamine shop in Nakatsugawa, Gifu, Japan. Where I saw a custom Flamenco Guitar on display in the showroom. It had been built by a Japanese craftsman who had been to Spain to study in the tradition of Classical Flamenco guitar making. No metal but silver or nickel silver alloy allowed under flamenco traditions. With silver inserted wooden pegs and craftsmanship I have not seen since. Other than some name brand flamenco guitars from Spain itself. Although this may have been a guitar made or with materials brought back from Spain, I don't know. In those days you could get a very good guitar in Japan for under $60-$100 US there. The best guitars in US were Martins maybe a few hundred more dollars. So this would have been in a similar price range as a new Martin back then.

I was so taken by this guitar, the sound, the lightness, those superb looking wooden pegs and angled neck and the inlaid designs throughout the body, neck and peg head. So I asked if I could play it. They allowed me and I found that by using some of my then forgotten flamenco technique brought it to life. I asked how much it would cost. At first they said it wasn't for sale. But then the craftsman who built it came in and heard me playing. After some debate, he decided he'd sell it to me for around a $1000 US (seem like he was joking to turn me away) and I don't think he really wanted to sell it at any price.

That was way too much for me and he knew it, as he laughed at my poor Japanese. So seemed he knew I wanted it and I told him some sob stories about coming close to death so many times in Vietnam I couldn't count them (it was all true). So he then dropped it down to equivalent of $366 (w/ exchange rate applied) and I jumped at the chance to buy it. Even though that represented almost 2 months pay w/combat action pay. I had just bought a motorcycle for around $1000, that I sold for $2000 8months after getting home (transport was free). I was stoked even getting that guitar at that price, even though it showed some use. After just having paid a lot more for that motorcycle. I can't describe what it was like to play, or how it sounded, other than it seemed to hold some magical qualities to me. Almost like it was possessed by some legendary guitar maker's spirit, as if that's even possible and could play itself. Yeah... sounds nuts to me now too. Can't remember his hand signed signature name now, but this would have been around 1970.

People who didn't really care for classical or flamenco music were mesmerized by my playing though. I was actually only barely a good guitarist, but this guitar made me sound like a great guitarist. Everywhere I would go, if I played that guitar, people stopped whatever they were doing to hear me playing. For around 3 yrs I just got better, worked to perfect my skills and grow n keep my r/h finger nails at the perfect length. He threw in two tap boards, but explained traditionally that using these were just wrong, because it changes the sound!

It was hand signed in the traditional way w/o a stamped number. So along with those silver inserted wooden pegs for easy tuning, perfect neck action and sound, I was the proud owner of some kind of unusual custom made Flamenco guitar by Takamine. Strange as they may seem now. Well until it got stolen..... and then I never played again. I often wondered what happened to it, searched pawn shops the whole bit to try and recover it. Did the thieve even realize what they had? I loved that guitar and I hope who ever ended up with it loved it too and didn't just break it!

I still wondered if the fool... no mater the other things that were stolen from me, just took it to a hock shop and got $20 or $30 for it. Makes me sad. I finally did see few more of these custom guitars for sale selling for as much as $2000 to $3000 said to be very rare, I haven't seen one since the 80's to 90's though!

btw..... can't find any pics with silver inserted wooden pegs. But here is an old Martin with metal inserted Ivory pegs. Some say pegs were harder to keep tuned. I had no such problems and tuning was simple and fast anyway. When they are designed right!
http://www.acousticmasters.com/1840PegsSide.jpg
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 19 2014 23:36:00

Ruphus

Wow! What a story!

I remember chaps mentioning great quality of a special early Takamine series. Must have been these.
How lively me pictured the instrument you described and its whereabouts.

In my life there has been one such ueber guitar too, and through all the decades the vain trial to substitute it.
( Now one of the foro luthiers has built me one, and I am hopeful that it will finally free me from the longings for that very one guitar. - Only need to get the new baby across the pond sometime.)

There is only one point in your story that is such a pity, and which I would not endure myself.

The fact that you never played again.

Man, I have had some tremolo running tonight that felt so heavenly ... With a really fine guitar, though yet not close to my phantom instrument.
However, the thought of dismissing all the joy one can have already with just pretty good axes ( - and even already with not so refined ones if must be), only for regrets about the one and only lost gem ... That seems such a shame of waste, and too dramatic.

My suggestion would be to not sacrifice yourself. To go out and roam the fields; too maybe check out one of the builders here ... Find a really fine guitar, or who knows: maybe even an axe as special as your old Takamine, and relish again.

Just don´t let the rest of your life remain without that certain thrill over taut strings.

Ruphus

PS:
And yes, - without wanting to poke into your wounds - chances aren´t small that that fantastic guitar landet in some flea market or similar. Maybe even as contemporary pastime for someone clueless.

Like Tarrega´s favored of those three of his Torres axes.
It had been appointed to a very appreciating professional guitarist who however then was outbid by a rich guy from somwehere in Latin America who again bought the instrument for his little niece who was considered to learn playing.
The guitar ended up lost, badly neglected and beaten up.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 20 2014 0:42:11

iMarcosa

RE: Takamine flamenco guitars (in reply to Ruphus

Talk about a great story. It is good to hear you have one too. It's almost like a dream to me now. But it was true how the sound of a great guitar makes it seem like it's playing itself!

I think I will see what I can find. Even though now, I do regret not just getting another guitar to play at some point! Thanks hearing some of that pain I could have released in better ways though playing it out!!! :D

I think I'd prefer the traditional old style Flamenco guitar w/ tuning peg head. But this proves Takamine does indeed make Flamenco guitars!

http://www.elderly.com/new_instruments/items/EFG136S.htm
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 20 2014 1:34:37

Ricardo

RE: Takamine flamenco guitars (in reply to Ramon Amira

quote:

ORIGINAL: Prominent Critic

Takamine does not make a flamenco guitar. And yes, their C132S was and still is a highly regarded classical guitar in its price range.

Ramon

My friend has two, one used, and one bought in 2004 (from memory, there is no date on the label). THe used one is quite old. THe model number is EFG136S...the 2004 is FGP136S. THe old one has Black Golpeadores and you can see the picture on the cover of my "Live in Fresno" disc with Jesus. THe top Black tap plate had "Takamine" printed on it but we airbrushed that out for the cover art. The inside photo shows the guitar like it really looks. The top tap plate extends up to 14th fret (bottom goes to 16). The 2004 has white plates, same design. These guitars were designed with electronics and tap plates included for the Gypsy Kings to use, before they got the Cordoba deal. So I hear.

Both guitars are Cedar top with cypress back and sides, and pretty heavy for flamenco guitars. Probably some plywood going on, but not really sure. Acoustically they are not amazing, as one would expect for acoustic electrics, but they feel pretty good to play flamenco on. My friend modified both guitars a lot, especially the bridge, and changed the electronics so they both function amazing for rhythm guitar Rumba stuff. Here is a video, he's on the left with the 2004 Takamine, I am on the right with the Cordoba:

http://youtu.be/SC4-uzjyr1w
And acoustically you can hear it here:
http://youtu.be/_jOcyB3AXS8

CD's and transcriptions available here:
www.ricardomarlow.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 20 2014 2:06:28

NewPlayer

Hi Ricardo,

Really nice rumba. Are you using the Cordoba Gk with the ProBlend?
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 20 2014 2:40:59

Ricardo

RE: Takamine flamenco guitars (in reply to NewPlayer

quote:

ORIGINAL: NewPlayer

Hi Ricardo,

Really nice rumba. Are you using the Cordoba Gk with the ProBlend?

I really like that pick up, it's the best really. But oddly, this guitar came with fishman PrefixPro....no microphone, it is only piezo. The Cordoba is called "FCWE Gypsy Kings" 1999...I think the "GK" refers to a different model, and also there was FCWE with no gypsykings endorsement which is the same as my guitar. The takamine he is using Problend actually, so hence those nice golpes.

CD's and transcriptions available here:
www.ricardomarlow.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 20 2014 2:45:54

NewPlayer

I really like fishman alot. I will be installing the Ellipse Matrix (piezo/mic combo) on my Bushman Negra shortly. Can't wait to hear what it sounds like.

I like your set up with the drum machine. I use a similar set up, however, I don't have a rhythm guitarist, so I use a boss looper that syncs with the built it drum tracks, it actually works really nicely. Then I have percussionist play over the rhythm to give it some life.

BTW, Sweet Picados, perhaps I can take some lessons from you in the near future.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 20 2014 3:34:46

Jeff H

Duck Baker played a Takamine flamenco for many years.

I took a lesson from him around 2006, he was playing it then... black golpeadores.

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=duck+baker+guitar&qpvt=Duck+baker+guitar&FORM=IGRE#view=detail&id=CC99CFDEB339EAA0A3C67C4E4ECD7055193CC970&selectedIndex=18
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 16 2014 1:50:10

hando

Picked up a 1981 Hirade concert on craigslist for $600

I had suspected it was a good guitar but did not know any better when I got it.

I took some lessons from a well known, respected flamenco. He complimented the guitar saying there is nothing wrong with this, and he would not have a reason not to play it, and would not put it down for some time. Told me to not bother buying another for some years.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 22 2014 16:30:44
Page:   [1]
All Forums >>Discussions >>Product Reviews >> Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post