Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

anyone own/play a Tsiorba guitar?   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>Product Reviews >> Page: [1]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

darylcrisp

anyone own/play a Tsiorba guitar? 

i'm thinking very serious about having Peter Tsiorba build me a Flamenco this coming year-would love to hear about any reviews anyone has of one and the woods used and why you choose those wood types.

thanks
daryl
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 12 2011 3:33:20

HolyEvil

RE: anyone own/play a Tsiorba guitar? (in reply to darylcrisp

http://www.foroflamenco.com/tm.asp?m=119121&appid=&p=&mpage=1&key=tsiorba&tmode=&smode=&s=#119121

Peter Tsiorba posts here on this foro occasionally as well showing us his wonderful creations.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 12 2011 5:40:43

Richard Ogilby

I have a maple w/ Rosewood stripe Back and Carpathian spruce top Flamenca peter made for me that arrived last december.I have@ 20 first class blanca flamencos (1 negra from Manuel Rodriguez's personal model).I play peter's guitar daily (among others) it's easy to play ,sounds great ,looks good;what else do you want?

Richard Ogilby
www.gitana-blanca.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 12 2011 23:03:38

Samarto

SBR, Peter uses a variety of woods and is always willing to experiment. If you have an idea of what kind of sound you want, Peter can help you pick the right woods and bracing. Peter doesn't use forms so he can make different sizes and styles. It is hard to recommend what you might want, but here is what I wanted and Peter delivered perfectly.

I wanted a traditional blanca flamenco with basses that growl and trebles that sing. I chose Reyes style bracing and Santos body. I might point out Peter braces for your humidity, something very few makers offer. I chose plain figured straight grain maple for the back and sides because I like the extra edge maple and myrtle offer over cypress. I chose an Englemann spruce top. The guitar sounds and responds phenomenal and the action is as easy as it gets. I also chose the mechanical pegs. I have had the guitar over a year and it is amazing now that it has settled in.

Peter is working on another flamenco guitar for me that is a special project and will have all Oregon tonewoods, some very rare. This includes the fingerboard, bridge, and pegs. An Oregon violin parts maker is making the pegs for it. It will be same bracing and body style as the other. Peter uses hand tools and uses old world techniques in scraping and french polishing the guitar. In my opinion this makes a difference over sanding and lacquer. Peters guitars have a look to them that is very different from power machine finished. You might find some light tiny tools marks on close exam, but this is a plus for me. He is one of a few that truly makes a hand made guitar using non toxic glues and finish.

You might consider a Port Orford cedar top and Myrtle wood back and sides or even Port Orford for the back and sides and a spruce top. Douglas fir is also a superior neck wood over Spanish cedar IMO. I think our tonewoods here in the northwest are as good, if not superior, as any in the world. After getting my guitar from Peter, I sold off my expensive Spanish handmade guitars. They did not compare and were lacking in response and playability.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 12 2011 23:18:52

Samarto

Richard, I wondered who had that guitar, now I know. It has great sound on the Youtube video Peter made of it.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 12 2011 23:21:56

tacaor

I have had a Tsiorba blanca for about a year and half. I have other fine flamenco guitars made by famous makers, but most often play my Tsiorba. It has unusually low action, is easy to play, and sounds great.

Peter is terrific to work with. He likes to know something about players before making guitars for them, so he can better match guitars to expectations and playing styles. His prices are very reasonable compared to the prices currently charged by Spanish makers for similar or even inferior guitars. If you are considering a new guitar do yourself a favor and play a Tsiorba before making a decision.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 20 2011 20:10:54
Page:   [1]
All Forums >>Discussions >>Product Reviews >> Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post