Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

[Deleted]   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: <<   <   1 [2]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

[Deleted] (in reply to Pimientito

[Deleted by Admins]

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 14 2011 14:49:20

xirdneH_imiJ

RE: Officially nervous (in reply to Guest

Mark, it was an amazing performance, congratulations!!!
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 15 2011 11:24:32

rombsix

RE: Officially nervous (in reply to xirdneH_imiJ

Pimientito! Well done. Finally a video of you performing, even if not flamenco. Waiting for more videos in the near future. Olé!

Ramzi

http://www.youtube.com/rombsix
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 15 2011 12:11:04

[Deleted] (in reply to Guest

[Deleted by Admins]

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 15 2011 13:59:00

odinz

RE: Officially nervous (in reply to Pimientito

Hey Pim, is this the video?

Playing sakura and all

It is odd how time goes slower when you play in front of an crowd.

Even if it sounds like you were in a bit of agony before, you are so lucky to have played that show.

Congratulations

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 15 2011 14:04:31

Florian

RE: Officially nervous (in reply to odinz

Congratulations Mark !! you did it amigo !! i didn't read your post about how u felt about to go there now...just went straight for the vid first...

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 15 2011 15:08:24

Florian

quote:

Yeah, I got another friend to video it so we will edit that at the weekend.
It was an amazing experience but truly daunting. Imagine any of you guys reading this having to sit in a changing room for over 2 hours whilst guys like Ruben Dantes, Juan Habichuela, Juan Andres Maya and 30 other artists are putting on a major performance to a capacity filled theatre....and then you have to walk on stage after them and play a closing solo......

OMG !! that does sound scary...you must have balls of steel by now amigo...who on earth could ever make you nervous after this :-)

quote:

plus your piece fits better at the end, theres only time for one piece so you are playing the final solo before the fin de fiesta."

wow...i wouldn't put a solo piece in the end after dancers and Andres Maya etc...talk about making your job even harder !! but man it looks like you did it under the most difficult of circumstances and got through with flying colors...serious i am getting nervous just reading your post...combination of a dream come true and borderline nightmare lol

I really enjoyed your little post about the day amigo i am absolutely excited for you and happy u did this and even happy it was so difficult and you didn't crumble ... like a test...the harder it was the sweeter it must have felt at the end when you passed and did your thing exactly how you planned

you are my inspiration now every time i ever feel nervous, whatever situation i find myself in il always calm myself thinking ......at least i am not following Andres Maya and Juan Habichuela...that is a good enough reason to be nervous

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 15 2011 15:11:36

Pgh_flamenco

Pim, it sounded a lot better than I would expect a small video cam that far away from the stage to sound. Your tremolo sounded great and really stood out. Even though you seemed like you were in a hurry to leave the stage afterward you didn't rush through the song. Impressive performance.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 15 2011 15:18:19

Ron.M

Aw Mark!

That was BEAUTIFUL man!!!

Hey...brilliant thinking not to compete with these famous Flamenco guitarists at flamenco, but do a really different piece of music altogether.

You played like a regular big concert guitarist and I bet all those big Flamenco guitar players were as enthralled as much as I was.

Great man!

cheers,

Ron
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 15 2011 17:47:25

El Kiko

Ok ...That was a great video, I watched it a few times , and i thought , man that was a lot of work to learn that, really well done and I bet a nice change for everyone too. ..
but I was wondering. , how do you shout , 'OLé ' in Japanese,, cant seem to find it ...

pero pienso seriamente que esta fantástico, y realmente muy bien hecho le debe que ser orgulloso. seguro que hizo nuevos amigos ese día.

Don't trust Atoms.....they make up everything.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 15 2011 18:46:37

jg7238

RE: Officially nervous (in reply to El Kiko

I really enjoyed that Pim. I liked your tremolo and the way you handled the artificial harmonics. Well done!
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 15 2011 19:09:31

orsonw

RE: Officially nervous (in reply to Ron.M

Beautiful, ole!!!!!!!

I can imagine that this was a perfect end to the night. Much respect to you Mark for your great playing and your courage.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 15 2011 19:16:55

Kevin James Shanahan

Well done , that was briliant, that piece really was perfect for the ocassion . Big sound with no file back it must have been amazing playing through such a system . Well I hope the invites keep coming . Congratulations.

Peace.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 15 2011 21:27:36

KMMI77

Very nice Pimientito!

I love the Sakura variations. You handled the pressure well.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 16 2011 4:41:15

aloysius

Only just saw this thread for the first time, awesome stuff! It's been said already but you definitely deserve opportunities like this for living the dream. Look forward to hearing about the next one.

www.guitarsketches.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 16 2011 13:04:15

rombsix

Compare with this:

Ramzi

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 16 2011 13:25:02

Pimientito

RE: Officially nervous (in reply to rombsix

Thanks guys for all of your very kind comments. Its made me happy to share this story you. If anyone had told me 11 years ago I would be doing this I wouldnt have believed them. Hopefully some of you will find yourselves in similar situations in the future.

Since last week I have had a couple thoughts on the experience.
After a minute into the piece I forgot the audience and was getting into the music. I think the perfomance got better as the piece went on. Always remember on stage why you love playing guitar and what it means to you when you practise at home. Try to remember that feeling, focus on the music, forget the situation and concentrate on nothing but the music...thats what gets you through on stage.

Ramzi -Williams plays that piece flawlessly but I realise now what everyone talks about dynamically. Its performed in a very squared off and flat way. Also I dont know why he always omits the 3rd variation. Anyway,Its made me realise that if I can get anywhere near the level of Williams then I really cant be doing that badly.

Follow my blog http://pimientito.wordpress.com/

"Ceremonial" by Mark Shurey "Pimientito". CD and digital download vailable on Amazon and
CDbaby. http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/markshurey
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 16 2011 13:54:22

rombsix

quote:

Ramzi -Williams plays that piece flawlessly but I realise now what everyone talks about dynamically. Its performed in a very squared off and flat way. Also I dont know why he always omits the 3rd variation. Anyway,Its made me realise that if I can get anywhere near the level of Williams then I really cant be doing that badly.

I thought the audio from that video didn't do you justice. To be performing a piece that Williams goes through such trouble to make said video about is superb. It means it's a worthy piece, and you did an amazing job of pulling it off keeping in mind the situation you were in regarding the other participants that night.

Makes me wonder though whether being in Spain, you are always going to feel the way you did that night when it comes to flamenco. I think that you should break the barrier and just start going for it, despite having people like the Habichuelas or other greats to have to get up to par with.

And if you ask me, I can provide you with the secret so that you can play flamenco and stand out. It's called, buleria-izing.

Sakura por buleria perhaps? I hear it makes for a great fusion.

Olé maestro Chewy!

Ramzi

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 16 2011 14:11:25

Pimientito

quote:

I think that you should break the barrier and just start going for it, despite having people like the Habichuelas or other greats to have to get up to par with.

I actually agree with you in principle but last week wasnt really the time for me to be doing that so I am happy with what I chose and how it turned out, and that I got out of it alive.

I'm looking forward to your "Sakuria" though

"Ceremonial" by Mark Shurey "Pimientito". CD and digital download vailable on Amazon and
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 16 2011 15:01:23

rombsix

quote:

One take - messed up the arp around 1:05 but caught back the compas after that.

Ramzi

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 16 2011 16:07:51

Adam

quote:

ORIGINAL: rombsix

quote:

One take - messed up the arp around 1:05 but caught back the compas after that.

Ole!!
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 16 2011 16:17:24

jg7238

Ramzi, are you mocking me? Fine, I will never ever play a picado in my life again because I'm too frustrated with it.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 16 2011 17:44:55

mrMagenta

Wow Mark! You pulled that off beautifully!
Loved the tremolo section and the harmonics. Brilliant piece well played.

I had a nervous experience last week.. public outdoor gig in the center of stockholm. Funny thing.. it felt fine just until I got out on stage. I had dressed well because it was a chilly evening. Then I realized the stage lights were cooking me. I was becoming hot, fast. I lost focus, messed up the beginning and had to struggle to get back.. then a monitor started feedbacking.. also there were noisy people around the audience and I wasn't hearing the dancers feet or my own guitar very well because the sound guy cut off my monitor probably because of the feedback.

I felt gutted once I came off stage, but I realize how valuable these experiences are! Next time I know what to prepare for mentally. And what you said about being in the music.. that is it!
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 16 2011 17:48:58

rombsix

RE: Officially nervous (in reply to jg7238

quote:

Ramzi, are you mocking me? Fine, I will never ever play a picado in my life again because I'm too frustrated with it.

I was afraid I was going to get such a reaction. My response is:

First: "Noooooooooooooo!"

Second: What I meant by "JG-style-intro" is that the intro is usually as impressive as the actual falseta. I always watch your videos and say to myself, "Wow! Awesome video!" Then I realize that was just the intro...

Ramzi

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 16 2011 17:51:02

Pimientito

Oléeeeeeeeeee Ramzi!!!

....although I am worried that you have too much spare time

quote:

I was becoming hot, fast. I lost focus, messed up the beginning and had to struggle to get back.. then a monitor started feedbacking.. also there were noisy people around the audience and I wasn't hearing the dancers feet or my own guitar very well because the sound guy cut off my monitor probably because of the feedback.

Thats a nightmare situation...
I should a big thanks to Harold who took over the sound desk at my part of the concert and made me sound great. No matter how much you practise and how good you guitar is, the whole thing is impossible if you play through bad mics with an amatuer on the mixing desk. I have been in some similar situations. I can say that they are the worst to deal with because the fact you sound bad is not your fault...its like being misquoted or taken out of context.
I can cope with audience noise because of working in restaurants. That really teaches how to keep playing with every kind of distraction around you. These days I only use my own sound system unless I'm in a larger theatre. At least in Spain the theatre engineers are used to amplifying flamenco guitars but if its a small venue, its not worth the risk of relying on a stranger if you can help it.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 16 2011 18:24:11

rombsix

quote:

....although I am worried that you have too much spare time

I'm worried too...

Ramzi

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 16 2011 18:41:44

Kate

quote:

ORIGINAL: Pimientito

I should a big thanks to Harold who took over the sound desk at my part of the concert and made me sound great.

It did sound fantastic even though Juan insisted on incorporating his old speakers from the Eshavira into the system which caused a slight buzzing. I know as I was sat right next to the speaker but not sure anyone else was as aware as I was. The audience was amazing, so respectful and appreciative the whole night and not a sound during your performance. By the way who was it who shouted " Pimientiiiiiiiiiiito " when you first came on ? Shame that was not on the video as it was a lovely moment when you looked out at the audience and smiled.

Emilio Maya Temple
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000CA6OBC
http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/emiliomaya
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 17 2011 11:23:26
Page:   <<   <   1 [2]
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: <<   <   1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message