Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

Stephen Faulk Guitars- Five blanca guitars at special promotional price   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Useful Stuff >>Classifieds >> Page: [1] 2 3    >   >>
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

estebanana

Stephen Faulk Guitars- Five blanca g... 

Many people have been responding to my email with questions about guitars, but at this time can't make a commitment at the price range on my web site which is 4600.00. I've decided to make a limited run of blancas and offer them at a reduced price to promote my instruments. They will be made with Port Orford Cedar I have been saving for ten years. I have built three very nice guitars with this wood.

Not an imitation of some famous builders guitar; an original hand made guitar by a maker who understands flamenco guitars with a track record for making tasty blancas.

The price is $3300.00

The offer stands until all five sets of Port Orford Cedar are spoken for.

The details:
The rosette will be simple, but elegant. Concentric circle lines with one small tile element, my modern versions of the rosettes on Esteso, Santos and Manuel Ramirez blancas.
My new head stock design
Twelve hole bridge
Binding on the back plain, binding and purfling on the face.

Options:

1. Spruce or Western Red Cedar top
2. Pegheds mechanical pegs or Gotoh tuners
3. Soundport

Terms: $400.00 deposit to reserve a place on this special list. The first person in line will receive their guitar in August. You can return the guitar in five days in perfect condition for a deposit refund. Buyer must pay shipping both ways.

Shipping:
Shipped with exterior box in a light weight foam nylon travel case. Buyer pays for shipping. I can provide the package weight and dimensions ahead of time to calculate shipping price.

An example of this type of Port Orford Cedar blanca guitar can be seen in this video: ( This guitar was purchased last year by Gopal Slavonic who is a professional guitarist in California. He loves it. Sorry it's not available, but I can make you one! )

https://www.stephenfaulkguitars.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 22 2011 16:55:17

ralexander

RE: Stephen Faulk Guitars- Five blan... (in reply to estebanana

damn ... nice offer, Stephen - I'm scheming hard over here...
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 22 2011 21:05:03

estebanana

RE: Stephen Faulk Guitars- Five blan... (in reply to ralexander

Cool...I'm trying to work with people..this is the type of guitar which gives me a lot of satisfaction to make.
Anyone interested should contact me privately through this email for more information. I like to talk on the phone to prospective customers and we can set up a time for a 15 to 20 minute phone meeting. I've always been happy to talk and answer questions with no pressure to commission a guitar. Even if you want to buy a used guitar or from another another maker I've made myself available for advice.

Please identify yourself clearly in your email. Also please state where you heard of my instruments and if you have a Flamenco Foro handle other than your name, please connect the handle to your name. I'm not going respond to anonymous inquiries:

estebanana2005@yahoo.com

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 22 2011 21:22:04

Samarto

Stephen, wow what a deal! For those that don't know Port Orford cedar is a cypress and to many tonewood experts the best cypress available. I think it makes a better flamenco than any of the best Spanish cypress. it is very light and extremely stable. It also makes great necks and soundboards. My next and final custom flamenco was planned to be Port Orford cedar, but some rare Oregon juniper may be available and if so I am going that way for back, sides, and neck with a Port Orford cedar soundboard.

For any that do not know a Faulk POC b and s flamenco for $3300 is a deal anyone needing a traditional looking and sounding flamenco guitar would be foolish to pass up. Only thing I don't like is sound ports, but that is personal preference.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 23 2011 17:48:59

Ron.M

Okay guys...

Stephen is asking €2268 or £1998 (UK).

Man...you aint gonna get an independent-made Luthier guitar for anywhere near that price!

FIVE years ago, I was looking around the UK for a decent guitar at around £2000 max.

Not that much going...

So now this is 5 years on....

(Just my input on the deal as I see it...)

cheers,

Ron
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 23 2011 19:34:24

Florian

WOW ! now that's a deal

I got all my finances invested in a show atm, that is getting more and more expensive by the day, might have to sell the shirt of my back soon lol otherwise i would definitely seriously be considering this right now...

I think this is a brilliant brilliant idea...get the members here talking and uploading videos and audios of themselves playing your guitars...brilliant

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 23 2011 19:34:59

Ron.M

RE: Stephen Faulk Guitars- Five blan... (in reply to Florian

Hey Flo...

Can you scrape up $400 US just now to get your name on one?

You can worry about the balance later...

cheers,

Ron
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 23 2011 19:38:39

Florian

RE: Stephen Faulk Guitars- Five blan... (in reply to Ron.M

quote:

Hey Flo...

Can you scrape up $400 US just now to get your name on one?

You can worry about the balance later...

cheers,

Ron

i probably could but then i dont know when exactly i will have the rest, could be really quick but it could also be up to 6 months...the money from this show i need to use to go visit my girlfriend overseas whom i miss and to whom i promised...il be staying there not working for a month or 2 so il need a considerable amount

other then that i am expecting more money to come in but that could be weeks or months...i dont wanna mess him around or take the spot of other people here that are ready to go till i knew exactly when

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 23 2011 19:42:38

Ron.M

quote:

the money from this show i need to use to go visit my girlfriend overseas whom i miss and to whom i promised..

Ah...women, Florian....

The guitar is there right now and could be in your hands eventually...and what did Freud say?

"A Woman is just a woman but a good cigar is a smoke."

(Sorry any female members...only joking..don't hit me..I didn't say it, bloody Freud did! )

PS: Actually..it sounds more like Groucho Marx would have said it first..and Freud just stole it. ..

cheers,

Ron
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 23 2011 20:01:41

Florian

lol not just any woman amigo the! woman for me right now...id give up on 1000 guitars for her without blinking

Images are resized automatically to a maximum width of 800px

Attachment (1)

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 23 2011 20:07:22

Ron.M

quote:

id give a 1000 condes for her

Well then the issue is settled.

"A true heart is hard to find" is another quote too...

Best of luck Flo,

cheers,

Ron
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 23 2011 20:10:44

mezzo

quote:

€2268

yeah that's a good price BUT you must add taxes, vat and customs fees. So in the end it's closer to 3000€ depending of the europaland country.

Good move banana! Way to go.

"The most important part of Flamenco is not in knowing how to interpret it. The higher art is in knowing how to listen." (Luis Agujetas)
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 23 2011 22:04:12

Florian

yes but you would have the same problem if you got a $5000 guitar or a $1000 ...all the man can do is offer you discount on his product...either way you look you pay less for it then if there was no discount

if you are in the market for a guitar is a brilliant price IMO still works out well in your favor...especially for an Australian because just a few months ago 1 Australian dollar was worth about 60 US cents..and now The Australian Dollar Equals the US Dollar ...for us there's never been a better time to buy from the US

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 23 2011 22:11:26

estebanana

Wow Florian, you're one lucky man. I can tell she's as sweet as she is beautiful.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 23 2011 23:36:40

Florian

thank you Stephen yes i am

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 24 2011 9:17:47

dformell

Hello Everybody,

Before the question is asked; this is not a personal attack and $3300.00 for a handmade guitar by a good luthier is an excellent price. Another luthier, Andy Culpeper has a brand new handmade guitar listed on this forum for $2200.00. So the question is, Why would someone want to buy a similar guitar for $3300.00 when they can pay $1100.00 less? More specifically, what is a person getting for the extra $1100.00?

Dan
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 24 2011 22:05:22

[Deleted] (in reply to dformell

[Deleted by Admins]

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 24 2011 22:18:00

orsonw

RE: Stephen Faulk Guitars- Five blan... (in reply to Guest

Andy Culpepper has stated his guitar for sale is a 2A, that's why it's less than his usual price. If you're interested in buying it and in what 2A means ask Andy Culpepper for details.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 24 2011 22:23:52

estebanana

Andy guitars are good, my guitars are good. We like each others guitars.

I've not made "hundreds of guitars." (thanks Rum Baking! for saying you would get one.) I've been working in instrument building for a long time however, and I think my prices are fair for the time I've put in and the kind of sound I can make. I charge more for negras and seven string classicals.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 24 2011 22:46:06

c

[Deleted] 

Post has been moved to the Recycle Bin at Apr. 25 2011 5:19:38
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 25 2011 0:30:14

Andy Culpepper

[Deleted] 

Post has been moved to the Recycle Bin at Apr. 25 2011 11:59:06
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 25 2011 3:19:38

estebanana

Ah let it go A.C. .....meh....we're both too busy to get embroiled in that kind of stuff.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 25 2011 3:23:07

dformell

It seems that some members got a little upset for no reason. Let me respond in a polite manner.
quote:

Dude you should not be asking such a question

Why shouldn't such a question be asked? Such questions are asked all the time in the business world and are rather basic.
quote:

If you're interested in buying it and in what 2A means ask Andy Culpepper for details.
The original poster never stated that he's interested in buying AC's guitar and he knows what model 2a means though thank you for your reply.

A few comments are in order; With business things should never be taken personally. In the original post the two questions asked were done so in a respectable manner. It was never stated that Mr. Faulk was charging to much for his instruments. On the contrary it was stated that his price was excellent, re-read the post. When someone is in the market to buy something they are going to ask questions like the two that were asked in the original post, two very legitimate questions. Mr. Faulk answered the questions very well, he charges more because he has more experience.

Someone one asked my age? I'm 46 thank you for the question.

Steve and Andy, your guitars look beautiful and, If I lived closer, I would love to try them out. It looks like American guitar builders are equal to their Spanish counterparts. Both of you keep up the good work!

Dan
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 25 2011 17:23:57

[Deleted] (in reply to estebanana

[Deleted by Admins]
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 25 2011 17:41:47

XXX

RE: Stephen Faulk Guitars- Five blan... (in reply to dformell

quote:

ORIGINAL: dformell
When someone is in the market to buy something they are going to ask questions like the two that were asked in the original post, two very legitimate questions. Mr. Faulk answered the questions very well, he charges more because he has more experience.

I have never experienced anybody asking a question like "Hey, why does builder x sell his guitars z amount of money cheaper than yours?". Thats not very smart because it is simply not possible to answer (Conde for example). Besides, isnt a buyer interested in a luthier built guitar because he fell in love with the sound of a specific luthier and wouldnt buying somewhere else completely contradict that???

Фламенко
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 25 2011 19:34:57

estebanana

Meanwhile.....Looks like two of the five Port Orford Blancas guitars are spoken for.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 25 2011 19:56:19

Ruphus

RE: Stephen Faulk Guitars- Five blan... (in reply to XXX

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deniz

I have never experienced anybody asking a question like "Hey, why does builder x sell his guitars z amount of money cheaper than yours?". Thats not very smart because it is simply not possible to answer (Conde for example). Besides, isnt a buyer interested in a luthier built guitar because he fell in love with the sound of a specific luthier and wouldnt buying somewhere else completely contradict that???

Right, and beyond it another foregoing thread to this one made quite clear why this topic should stay reserved to the objects offered; at the latest.

As Deniz indiretcly indicates above already, only putting two serial production guitars side by side in the way of comparing listed features and prices should be making sense in the least cases ( hence, only with relatively consistent and familiar productions like say Yamaha or maybe Ibanez ), while such a comparison with handmades of different luthiers would provide even less parameter.

For one for the divergence alone within handmade batches of a single luthier, and further for at times subtle properties that can yet rocket an indivdual guitars value.
For many it could be one special characteristic, for others a certain other one, and for you maybe again somethig else.

Asking why one lutheir´s guitars were more expensive than another one´s would only make sense if you had them side by side and found them to perform pretty much the same in all regards.

What I have read from Stephen, displayed a vast knowledge on guitar building and North-American luthiery history and development. Obviously, much of it from first hand and real time experience. Such expertise together with his obviously rather frank personality indicates to me that his judge on his guitars will rather be understating than hyped, if anything.

In view of todays price levels his offer should be a true opportunity; more even for he will certainly not be slipshod at building these, as he is wanting the buyers to be convinced and contribute to getting the news out on this production.

For him this offer will not be worth mentioning in terms of profit, and if just remotely uncertain about the feedback, he would likely not had started this offer to begin with.
For, if the guitars were only received as so-so the reviews would be harmful to Stephen´s shop, definitly surpassing in damage what a couple hundred bucks of temporary return could be good for.

It is an offer from a man who knows his craft and the attraction of his special offer.

I am really curious to see the coming reviews and how the clients will find these in side-by side comparison to specimens of commonly known productions.

Ruphus
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 25 2011 21:38:20

dformell

Greetings,

Some of the members of this forum make it really hard to be polite. So far I've been asked my age, told that my question wasn't very smart and how dare I ask such a question as if it were blasphemy. It's possible to disagree with someone without insulting them. At the risk of being redundant; In the business world people are going to shop for the best deal, they are going to ask tough questions and if a seller wants to be successful he/she better be ready to answer them. At this point the only thing left to say to people that are offended is; being asked tough questions is one of the realities of the business world, grow up and get over it.

Dan
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 25 2011 23:22:22

HolyEvil

RE: Stephen Faulk Guitars- Five blan... (in reply to dformell

quote:

ORIGINAL: dformell

Greetings,

Some of the members of this forum make it really hard to be polite. So far I've been asked my age, told that my question wasn't very smart and how dare I ask such a question as if it were blasphemy. It's possible to disagree with someone without insulting them. At the risk of being redundant; In the business world people are going to shop for the best deal, they are going to ask tough questions and if a seller wants to be successful he/she better be ready to answer them. At this point the only thing left to say to people that are offended is; being asked tough questions is one of the realities of the business world, grow up and get over it.

Dan

Hey Dan.. I'm just replying to you and others..
Stephan has been a luthier longer than Andy.. IF andy raises/stephan lowers his price.. then you might have another question, why am I (dan) buying from andy when I can have a more experienced luthier's guitar for similar price. The questions never stop0 Oh I'm not saying experience is all that matters on guitar making.

Guitar are like pieces of art, some guitars/painting resonate more to a person. And that's why some painters are more sought after. And some painters have only a few pieces that are liked.

IMO, asking a luthier to describe his guitar to another maker's guitar sonically is like asking a blind man to describe a tree visually. I think only you (the buyer) and others like yourself (buyers) can decide whether that extra 1100 is warranted when you are choosing between these 2 luthiers, either through videos/sound clips or asking each individual makers another their specific technique (if you understand it) when building their guitars.

cheers
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 25 2011 23:35:30

estebanana

There are now three Port Orford Blancas left unspoken for.

Re: The price thing- about price difference between Andy and myself. I'm uncomfortable with this because I like Andy and we are both doing the same art - craft in close quarters here. I think his work is very good. I can say the core of professional and some semi professional luthiers that put themselves out on this Foro all do really, really top work. Andy in particular has excelled in a short period or time and it's quite impressive, if not down right scary.

Each of us calculates what price we ask according to our personal needs, experience, shop over head costs and reputation, etc. We each have a threshold of what is too high a price and what is too low based on those criteria. There are many factors that go into how to price guitars and it's the personal business of each guitar maker to decide what they will charge. The market can sort it out over time according to how that persons guitars sound and play.

It's up to the player to gain enough experience and knowledge with different guitars to get an idea of which ones suit that player best for the money they can spend. And if some awkward questions have to be asked once in a while then so be it.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 26 2011 0:16:45
Page:   [1] 2 3    >   >>
All Forums >>Useful Stuff >>Classifieds >> Page: [1] 2 3    >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote