Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

RE: Stephen Faulk Guitars- Five blanca guitars at special promotional price   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Useful Stuff >>Classifieds >> Page: <<   <   1 [2] 3    >   >>
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

ralexander

RE: Stephen Faulk Guitars- Five blan... (in reply to estebanana

it's a sensitive topic, but the discussion is good - I have spent a lot of time researching luthiers for my next guitar (Stephen & Andy included). As already stated, Stephen has more experience and charges accordingly. He was high on my list already and this offer sealed the deal for me, even though I'm still working on selling my current guitar. I sent my deposit today

Ultimately it's up to the player to decide what a guitar is worth to them. The instruments speak for themselves and with the proper exposure and some luck these artists build their business. I really think it's more important than ever that we support craftsmen like Andy and Stephen and really consider all of what goes into something like a handmade guitar. What a **** life it would be if musicians could only have instruments built by machines, no? Music in general would be a lot more boring, I think.

I agree with Ruphus that these 5 guitars won't be much of a money making venture for Stephen. This will not be my first custom guitar and I have a pretty good idea what these guys go through. As a new homeowner of rapidly declining wealth and ever-improving taste in guitars, I really appreciate this offer. I trust it will be a phenomenal guitar and I hope my coming review helps build his rep.

One last thing - I'm a big fan of Jason, and his demos and general endorsement of SF were paramount in helping me make my final decision. I don't think he's the kind of guy who's opinion can be bought and what an excellent choice of players to test the limits of a guitar. Unfortunately, not every luthier has a relationship with a guy like Jason!
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 26 2011 1:54:25

XXX

RE: Stephen Faulk Guitars- Five blan... (in reply to dformell

Wow, nice move, ralexander! Congrats on this purchase. 3 years ago i was searching heavily for a guitar, and if i had known Stephens guitars back then, this offer would also be high on my list. But nowadays i already have a good guitar, plus no money lol...

quote:

ORIGINAL: dformell
Some of the members of this forum make it really hard to be polite. So far I've been asked my age, told that my question wasn't very smart and how dare I ask such a question as if it were blasphemy. It's possible to disagree with someone without insulting them. At the risk of being redundant; In the business world people are going to shop for the best deal, they are going to ask tough questions and if a seller wants to be successful he/she better be ready to answer them. At this point the only thing left to say to people that are offended is; being asked tough questions is one of the realities of the business world, grow up and get over it.

Sorry but youre the only one taking things personally. A buyer always makes his decision according to HIS conditions. The seller can not answer this question, let alone reason every dollar of his price or even the price of OTHER luthiers. Two identical guitars made by the same luthier even can have different prices. In the business world there is for sure alot of talking, whether it is always smart talking or whether it reflects reality is a different question. Im talking about unrealistic advertisements for example. Part of growing up should be dividing that business BS from, dare i say, the truth.

The form of your question was indeed polite, but the problem with it was the content. Obviously you knew what you were writing (on a public forum btw) is not cmmonly accepted as negotiation in the guitar world, hence you apologized beforehand. Id like to know what business you were talking about. Maybe its not comparable to guitars.

Фламенко
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 26 2011 8:32:06

[Deleted] (in reply to ralexander

[Deleted by Admins]

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 26 2011 12:51:14

Sean

RE: Stephen Faulk Guitars- Five blan... (in reply to ralexander

Wow you're honestly surprised by the negative reaction to your question, really? Seriously?
There is only two reasons why someone asks these things.
1 They just want to stir it up some BS.
2 They're completely ignorant about the planet they live on.

I find it laughable the business world was brought up as a defence when you have no clue as to the concept of a free market.
I can give my niece canvas, paints, brushes and ask her to paint me a tree or I can pay thousands of dollars on a painting of a tree done by a famous artist. Why the price discrepancy? The same materials right? Should my niece not charge thousands or should the pro artist just give it to me free like my niece would? A luthier is paid for his or her knowledge, experience, crafting skills and lastly materials. Luckily they mass produce guitars in China for such discerning clients with Walmart shopper mentalities.

I think it would have been far more appropriate to have sent Steven an email asking him your question or better yet started your own thread and discussion on guitar prices instead of showing poor taste in hijacking this particular thread turning it into a bullsh*t discussion.
This last issue is what compelled me to write and unfortunately add more BS to Steven's thread.
My apologies Steven
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 26 2011 15:25:52

estebanana

Now I feel like one of those grouchy old shop keepers I knew as a boy. They would yell at us from behind the counter "You boys either buy some candy or get the hell out of my damn store!"

Just kidding, it was fun to write that.

Just calm down and look at Florian's beautiful girlfriend. The only thing I want to know is whether or not he's going to ask her to get married. Because that's really the only important topic.

https://www.stephenfaulkguitars.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 26 2011 16:42:39

Escribano

quote:

Just calm down and look at Florian's beautiful girlfriend

Yeah, I must be getting slowing up. He's catching up with me

It is quite odd in a nice way, to be involved in a little bit of your lives through this forum, that I set up so long ago.

I wouldn't change it for the world [sniff] [hug]

Foro Flamenco founder and Admin
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 26 2011 19:52:50

dformell

Stephen,

Thank you for the funny post.! Keep up the good work with both your craft and your humor.

Regards,

Dan
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 28 2011 18:42:51

ralexander

GET OFF MAH LAWN!!

Holy Jamon, I could not be more excited for this guitar! Stephen has been great so far, and I'm looking forward to working with him on this.

So, who else is jumping in with me?!
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 28 2011 18:54:16

estebanana

Here are a few more photos of a guitar I made and showed at the H.M. De Young Museum as part of an artisans festival:

http://www.foroflamenco.com/tm.asp?m=134914&tmode=1&smode=1&p=

This is the type of guitar I'm offering in this promotional deal.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 1 2011 19:28:39

Michael1917

That's a great deal, considering what else is out there for that price.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 2 2011 22:00:28

Ruphus

And beautiful!

It just seems to speak like "If you can pass me by without temptation to pick up and play ..."
Spontaneously for just a minute, then 15, or two hours in a blink.

I imagine how it could make you driving home, tossing and shoving over night; first entertaining, then involuntarily finding a decision sealed.
Next morning tensely calling, asking to reserve the blond until you be back from the ATM.

I must not buy any guitar. Must not, yuck!
Yet, sure wish I could ride over and sniff out that optical jewel.

( Some totally crazy folks are considering transportation tech that would bring you to anywhere in the world within 42 minutes. If such was in place [ and affordable ], I would be booking a trip now.) http://www.google.com/url?url=http://www.youtube.com/watch%3Fv%3DhcoyjqYCKZo&rct=j&sa=X&ei=jnLATc4fjsuzBo370MIF&sqi=2&ved=0CDYQuAIwAw&q=42+minutes+world&usg=AFQjCNF2hxsvUByxEyYpNh9Zn8mDeVbF2w&cad=rja

She really looks superp!

Ruphus

Images are resized automatically to a maximum width of 800px
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 3 2011 21:17:22

estebanana

Just an update on this project: I've started the first guitars in this promotion. Here is one of the rosettes.

This pattern is borrowed and modified for a guitar rose from a 19th century oud sound hole decoration I saw. I'm trying light colored fields and color bands on the darker Western Red Cedar tops. The thing I'm trying to accomplish is to create interest and fascination for the looker with the simplest and cleanest of means. I've dropped using the bands of black around the outside of the rose and just used the BWB and green /white /green tile element.

I also have made more moth rosette tiles like the ones in the guitar up above a few posts. And those moths will be paired up with some stunning blue, yellow ocher and rusty brown rings of color, I hope.

Attachment (1)

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 5 2011 3:45:01

ralexander

damn Stephen, I really like that. Simple, clean & attractive.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 5 2011 17:55:48

RTC

I admire your work, I know that my comment won't pay any bills.
Your guitars are awsome.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 5 2011 23:59:07

estebanana

Thank you very much I appreciate the comments.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 6 2011 1:37:50

Sean

Nice I love the green its so damn classy, I always liked the green element in Torres and Hauser's guitars, can't understand why it isn't used more these days. You come up with some tasty rosettes, I also really digged that one you did on the cedar top 7string it was very different and cool too.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 6 2011 1:55:36

KMMI77

Looks great! I like the no black bands look. I guess you could repeat that design in any colour.

It must be exciting for the guys that have ordered. Your guitars look fantastic. I would love to have the opportunity to play one one day :-)

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 6 2011 13:03:56

beno

Well Stephen! That's one of the most beautiful rosette
I've ever seen! No joke... I'm really picky about rosettes
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 6 2011 19:17:57

NenadK

Yup Stephen's rosettes are among the most beautiful I've seen. Very unique. I "blind" tested myself in another thread where a rosettes by different makers were posted and I liked Stephen's the most.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 6 2011 20:29:17

estebanana

Here's another update on this project. This is number one of the Port Orford blancas I'm building the rest of the summer and into the fall. The rose I showed a few posts above is now upside down on the solera and I'm fitting and gluing the ribs on.
It's pure old style construction, I'm not even using any vertical supports to hold the ribs in place, they are bent perfectly and lay right where they should.

Attachment (1)

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 19 2011 22:59:25

JuanDaBomb

I can't see the photo! I think it's borked somehow. Not sure if it's just me, but all I can see is a little icon with a fracture thru it.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 19 2011 23:14:52

estebanana

I disborked it, it was too big so I shrank it. It's annoying when one photo blows the whole page up so you have to scroll around.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 19 2011 23:24:23

JuanDaBomb

I see it now Thanks! Looking good.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 19 2011 23:43:50

ralexander

yeah, yeah ... but what about MY guitar

I keed, I keed! Looking real purdy. Coming from a steel string background, I'm used to cedar top guitars sounding a bit more mellow in general - while I've never played one, I get the impression that cedar top blancas can have quite a bite in the trebles. It would be interesting if you're able to record a comparison video between 2 of these POC guitars - one cedar and one spruce. I'd like to hear more clips of your work in general as the vids that are available are really good - leaves one wanting more
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 20 2011 12:29:56

NenadK

I agree I'd like to hear some more clips of the guitars. They all sound great but at the moment there are the 2 7-string negras on youtube, the one port orford cedar and the one "regular" blanca played by DonSoledad (I don't think the sound quality is that great for this one). So, really there are 2 samples of actual flamenco guitars out there. I think it's quite difficult to get a feel for what they sound like and considering most people here would be getting one sight unseen I think that's a pretty big problem.

Just my 2 c
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 20 2011 19:59:13

estebanana

RE: Stephen Faulk Guitars- Five blan... (in reply to NenadK

quote:

I think it's quite difficult to get a feel for what they sound like and considering most people here would be getting one sight unseen I think that's a pretty big problem.

That is a problem and that is precisely what I'm working on the next six months, to get good sound samples out there of a wider spectrum of flamenco guitars. In a sense this offer is part of that goal, to distribute good guitars and get sound samples and feed back. Also to work on to work my ideas about rosettes and design. I'm just going to keep adding to this thread as things develop. There's a bit of risk involved though, I better make good ones.

Look for a new website soon, the designer is writing the code so that you'll able access the blog on the home page of the website. The blog is going to be for keeping updates on what it is happening in the shop and the website will have video sound clips embedded. Then the usual pricing for guitars and the materials I use. I'm not going to get complicated with listing lots of options because I have been dealing with people one on one and it's been working that way.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 20 2011 22:31:55

estebanana

The balloons eye view of the glue blocking process.

Attachment (1)

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 21 2011 2:09:46

NenadK

quote:

That is a problem and that is precisely what I'm working on the next six months, to get good sound samples out there of a wider spectrum of flamenco guitars. In a sense this offer is part of that goal, to distribute good guitars and get sound samples and feed back. Also to work on to work my ideas about rosettes and design. I'm just going to keep adding to this thread as things develop. There's a bit of risk involved though, I better make good ones.

Look for a new website soon, the designer is writing the code so that you'll able access the blog on the home page of the website. The blog is going to be for keeping updates on what it is happening in the shop and the website will have video sound clips embedded. Then the usual pricing for guitars and the materials I use. I'm not going to get complicated with listing lots of options because I have been dealing with people one on one and it's been working that way.

That sounds great. I remember you mentioning a while back that you have someone working on a new website. I've been following your work for a while and I'm definitely looking forward to hearing more clips. I know you're not a fan of advertising and neither am I; I don't really think you need to list a thousand options for people to drool over and I don't think you need to be on twitter or anything like that. More clips and a bit more information about you and your work on your website would definitely be nice to see. Having read all your posts here, I think that if you can convey even a fraction of that passion in your work I'm sure you will have lots of success.

Cheers

N
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 21 2011 6:38:12

orsonw

RE: Stephen Faulk Guitars- Five blan... (in reply to NenadK

Does anyone in the UK (preferably in or near London) own a Stephen Faulk guitar they would let me try out?
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 21 2011 8:10:01

ralexander

I'll certainly be doing a review of mine, and some video once I get my chops up (been playing on a rented classical - don't ask)

Stephen - do you know Matt Mustapick from Soquel, CA? His website sounds similar to what you're trying to achieve. He has a "news from the shop" section that I've always really enjoyed.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 21 2011 13:36:06
Page:   <<   <   1 [2] 3    >   >>
All Forums >>Useful Stuff >>Classifieds >> Page: <<   <   1 [2] 3    >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post