Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

RE: ricardo marlow - cafe sole Tab   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Playing >>Tabs >> Page: <<   <   2 3 4 [5] 6    >   >>
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

orsonw

RE: ricardo marlow - cafe sole Tab (in reply to omarhamdan89

Omar thanks for posting.

If you want to learn something about bulerias compas try this lesson-

http://tomaflamenco.com/lessons/7-compas-de-bulerias/videos/6?locale=en
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 10 2011 20:30:04

rombsix

RE: ricardo marlow - cafe sole Tab (in reply to kudo

quote:

I have never seen a guitar lesson under $10.

I offer lessons for LL 10,000 per 50-minute session (equivalent to 6.65 US dollars). I used to have ads up for FREE lessons (just for the greater good of spreading information about flamenco in my country), but people thought I was some sort of stalker or something (they would write graffiti on my ads saying stuff like "Why for free?" or "What are you after?"). I therefore decided to offer lessons at very affordable rates, and got a student a week later! Unfortunately, he called and said he wanted to start taking lessons the day after, then never got in touch with me again.

But anyway, I digress...

quote:

why? because I know what Jordan is like, I have been there and I know exactly how things work in the field of arts and music.

When were you there last?

Ramzi

http://www.youtube.com/rombsix
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 10 2011 20:38:17

rombsix

RE: ricardo marlow - cafe sole Tab (in reply to orsonw

quote:

Omar thanks for posting.

If you want to learn something about bulerias compas try this lesson-

http://tomaflamenco.com/lessons/7-compas-de-bulerias/videos/6?locale=en

What on Earth is this website? Looks amazing!

http://tomaflamenco.com/

Never heard of it before...

Ramzi

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 10 2011 20:46:52

orsonw

RE: ricardo marlow - cafe sole Tab (in reply to rombsix

It's quite new, there was a thread about it on the foro a while ago.

This is high quality material direct from Seville, I think the only Andalusian online lessons for guitar, cante and dance.

The only problem is that not all lessons have English subtitles but I think they are working on changing that.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 10 2011 21:34:09

omarhamdan89

Thanks man :)
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 10 2011 21:35:52

omarhamdan89

RE: ricardo marlow - cafe sole Tab (in reply to Guest

quote:

rumbaking

Thanks Man :)

Kudo you have to visit Jordan again ;)
you dont know Jordan!
My teacher Called Khalid Tawfeeq he Studied in Barcelona with Manuel Granados,
he has his own music but he is waiting for a sponsor to record his album.
he doesnt have Fb nor youtube.
& i trust him :) he is like my prother, he took a pic with Paco de lucia in one of his concerts, he met most of guitarist in spain.
i dont have to to proof that you :D its up to u to beleive or not.

& the problem is that i dont have ONLINE money! got me!
Go to spain & ask Manuel Granados about Khalid tawfeeq & he will tell you that manuel gave his guitar to khalid,
investigate by your self,
"I know exactly how things work in the field of arts and music."... Kudo god !!! lol
yes we have nothing in jordan we still using camels :D & tents :D
hahahahahahaha
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 10 2011 21:43:56

rombsix

quote:

The only problem is that not all lessons have English subtitles but I think they are working on changing that.

Who cares, man! Another reason to take those Spanish courses I've always wanted to take!

Ramzi

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 10 2011 21:44:39

Mark2

RE: ricardo marlow - cafe sole Tab (in reply to Florian

It was just that one time. I was invited to a party at a club that I did a gig at and the owner told me to bring my guitar because ottmar was going to be there. He walked in with three or four women. He was very nice and me and the guitarist from the flamenco show played a number of his tunes with him. A guy I met a few years ago plays with him all the time, he's not really a flamenco player, but he is a very good guitarist and musician.

Before I got into flamenco, I played in many bands, and one in particular got to open for many famous acts. Opening though, is hardly the same as playing with a famous act. Once we opened for Santana, and he invited us up to jam with him on a tune-he announced it from the stage. I was relaxing in the audience with the other guitarist from our group, and we looked at each other and said "holy ****!" We ran backstage to grab our guitars and made it to the side of the stage when we realized that there were no spare amps on stage to plug into. The timbale player in our band was already on stage, jamming with Carlos, huge smile on his face.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Florian

lol Mark i had no idea you played with him, i dont remember you ever mentioning it before ...the guy did alright for himself with that tune

quote:

After all, it was their wedding, not a concert, and we were being paid a lot of money. Far be it from me to deny a bride joy on her wedding day.

exactly, i think you did the right thing...sometimes you have to do what you have to do
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 10 2011 21:52:15

rombsix

RE: ricardo marlow - cafe sole Tab (in reply to Mark2

quote:

there were no spare amps on stage to plug into

Should have gone for an air-guitar performance then.

Ramzi

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 10 2011 22:04:49

Mark2

RE: ricardo marlow - cafe sole Tab (in reply to El Kiko

Well hell man, let's hear a few of them. I have to admit, I never felt the way you did when it came to playing for money. If I felt I could do a decent job, I took the gig, no matter if it was jazz, funk, rock, blues, even disco. In 1979 disco was huge, and I was 21 years young, playing in a show band with horns, touring the northwestern part of the US. We played five sets a night, six nights a week. I got paid about 250.00 dollars a week, which actually was pretty decent money back then. Even playing Donna Summer tunes, I was a pretty happy guy just to be playing music full time.
Oh, and I have never felt I was payed too much money! Is that what you meant? that you got paid too much?
And I also never play for free, no matter how bad I'm playing! I'd rather play at home than play in a club for free. Damm capitalist gringo! That's me.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rico_Kiko

interesting story ..I have many similar ...but the main reason i eventually left the commercial music "scene" was the playing for money thing............and I did play in a lot of studios and concerts with very , very, well known artists....sometimes too much...however....
it's a musical prostitute..........you play what I say ......I give you money ..........
hmmm.........

so i made another band ...and played in bars for free..........went really good .....and we can play anywhere ..cos its free....(or a few beers, petrol...whatever......)

so now I went back to being a technician.and play what I want to ....free.....!!
its great ....so I miss a bit of compass here and there ...........I am alone here now ....but I can do what I want cos ....it's free !!
[/quote
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 10 2011 22:04:53

Mark2

If I'd have known about you Dr Romb, I'd have put europa into bulerias.

quote:

ORIGINAL: rombsix

quote:

there were no spare amps on stage to plug into

Should have gone for an air-guitar performance then.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 10 2011 22:06:32

mezzo

quote:

I think the only Andalusian online lessons for guitar, cante and dance.

His buleria explanation is very interesting. It's the first time I heard about this "ritmo de tierra".
Definitivly not something you could found on books or site made by guiris for guiris
Where the DOGMA is 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11. And that's the answers a newbie get when he ask how the buleria works (lets say at 95%...). A very limitating vision of the palo.

"The most important part of Flamenco is not in knowing how to interpret it. The higher art is in knowing how to listen." (Luis Agujetas)
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 10 2011 22:09:01

kudo

quote:

When were you there last

mhm, thats an interesting story, ramzi. even if you got that student, its rare that a student just takes 1 lesson, right? unless they didnt like you from the first lesson, so assuming that student take at least 2 lessons before deciding if they want to stay with that teacher for a longer time or not, they would have spent at least $10, right?

last time I was there was 4 years ago, stayed in Amman for 1 month. I remember no one cared about music, there was no concerts, no music related ads, no one knew what flamenco was, there was few Oud players (which I thought should be popular there).

Omar, Im not trying to offend you or anything, I just had these questions in mind,and I wanted to make sure you had a good teacher. maybe things have changed, I dont know.but I know that theres no camels and tents.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 10 2011 22:44:33

orsonw

RE: ricardo marlow - cafe sole Tab (in reply to mezzo

quote:

It's the first time I heard about this "ritmo de tierra".

It's often talked about but not so well explained as this. People say feel bulerias in 6s and this is essentially the same thing. Just listen to the palmas and the baile.

For me this 6s feel is the key to bulerias rhythm. Not to forget altogether about 12 beats, they exist and they are important but I don't feel them as the groove, instead I feel the 'basé' or 'tierra del tiempo' (12,2,4,6,8,10 to relate to 12 beats but really it's just 1,2,3 1,2,3 )

Check this thread, Jason made a palmas video that explains it too.

http://www.foroflamenco.com/tm.asp?m=112910&appid=&p=&mpage=1&key=jason%2Cpalmas&tmode=&smode=&s=#113220
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 10 2011 22:46:44

omarhamdan89

i see,
but now there is a lot of concerts & there are many musicians & bands,
Jazz, Rock, spanish , Funks, oriental ...
you to come again! :)

btw my teacher will record his album soon, i will inform you then :)

btw whats going on with the TABS?????
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 10 2011 22:49:44

kudo

another thing is that I don't like the inconsistency and how things went here:
quote:

& i wana ask you sth... poor peaple have the right to learn the music?? or not?
simply i dont have mony to pay!!!

Omar thats what you originally said. this meant that you could not afford it at all because you are poor. but now you are saying this?? :

quote:

& the problem is that i dont have ONLINE money! got me!

now THATS A DIFFERENT STORY! you got the wrong Idea across to begin with. florian was going to buy it for you, he COULD AFFORD it but he could not use his paypal, so technically ONLINE money was not available for use.
so if you don't have paypal , go ahead and make a free paypal account, but DONT say you cant afford it to begin with because you are poor. and then try to take advantage of other people and get it for free.

im pretty mad here

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 10 2011 23:05:48

omarhamdan89

you are a layer & so mean!
thanks anyway "aggressive offensive guy "
you a physical guitar player not spiritual one!
it was a bad chance to meet u on this forum i hope to not see you again here.

i dont need your tabs!!!

Bye
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 10 2011 23:10:55

kudo

look, I already said it, Im not trying to offend you or anything. at the same time, I dont like the inconsistency. Im just showing you what you originally said, and what the idea you got across. why do you find this offensive and aggressive? why can you not get a free paypal account if you can afford the tab? I don't think theres a good excuse for that.

Im going to give it to you, I keep my words, whether you like it or not, whether you accept it or not, whether you hate me or not, I AM SENDING IT TO YOU ONCE I GET IT FROM RICARDO. I dont care what you think

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 10 2011 23:24:46

omarhamdan89

i wish to not catch you again in this forum , peace
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 10 2011 23:31:01

kudo

I wish you stop taking things negatively. think positive and be consistent.
thanks for wasting my time

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 10 2011 23:35:45

El Kiko

quote:

For me this 6s feel is the key to bulerias rhythm. Not to forget altogether about 12 beats,

Yes, orsonw, I have always thought that, I hear it more with some guitarists than others.
I nearly always hear it with Paco Cepero.
I transcribed something by him once and I wrote it (Bulerias) in 6/4 because the phrasing was that way, so it would be easy to write it like that, I always used to listen to phrasing if I was transcibing anything in an odd time signature..anyway I thought at the time ,,. I'm sure this guy (Paco) is thinking in 6's more than anything else.
it makes the whole thing more accessable and you can tap your foot ....

Don't trust Atoms.....they make up everything.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 10 2011 23:51:30

kudo

quote:

not catch you again in this forum

catch me? oh so you are a cop now? LOL

@Rico, yes, I also noticed that the cante accompaniment is always in 6's, at least thats what the palmas are always like when the cante is there.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 11 2011 3:22:36

rombsix

quote:

mhm, thats an interesting story, ramzi. even if you got that student, its rare that a student just takes 1 lesson, right? unless they didnt like you from the first lesson, so assuming that student take at least 2 lessons before deciding if they want to stay with that teacher for a longer time or not, they would have spent at least $10, right?

He called me and said he wants to take a lesson starting the next day, and said he would call me the next day and set the time. Never called though - so I never got to meet him.

Ramzi

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 11 2011 4:20:24

mezzo

quote:

It's often talked about but not so well explained as this. People say feel bulerias in 6s and this is essentially the same thing. Just listen to the palmas and the baile.

For me this 6s feel is the key to bulerias rhythm. Not to forget altogether about 12 beats, they exist and they are important but I don't feel them as the groove, instead I feel the 'basé' or 'tierra del tiempo' (12,2,4,6,8,10 to relate to 12 beats but really it's just 1,2,3 1,2,3 )

Check this thread, Jason made a palmas video that explains it too.

http://www.foroflamenco.com/tm.asp?m=112910&appid=&p=&mpage=1&key=jason%2Cpalmas&tmode=&smode=&s=#113220

Yes orsonw the medio compas feel. Thanks
But the guy explain something more in the vid coz clapping palmas is a thing and transposing this to the guitar strumming pattern is another.
This is what I mean when I said it's the first time i heard about the tierra.

"The most important part of Flamenco is not in knowing how to interpret it. The higher art is in knowing how to listen." (Luis Agujetas)
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 11 2011 9:20:02

orsonw

quote:

But the guy explain something more in the vid coz clapping palmas is a thing and transposing this to the guitar strumming pattern is another.

I think this division of guitar and palmas (or baile,cante) is an error, all should feel the same groove, just different means of expression. This concept corrects that by connecting the guitar to the real groove of bulerias. Guitar players think too much, this keeps it simple!
You can strum the basé but he is talking about this always being underneath whatever the guitar is strumming on top.

I think you are right that it is a different concept than just medio compas.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 11 2011 12:33:50

mezzo

The thing I appreciate the most in these videos is that the guys is very pedagogic. I don't know if the subtitles are correct coz i understand what he said but he made simple the "complex" stuff of how the buleria groove.

Maybe the books and other things related to this subject are too much intellectual or cerebral. That's why we have so much troubles to understand what is really underneath and why we have trouble to sound "authentic" (at least for me).

I repeat it's the first time I heard about what he's pointing out on these vid. Not the medio compas of course but the other concept and what this one implies vs the 12,3,6,8,10 sacral dogma.
But maybe it's coz my brain prefers seeing concrete stuff like this vids rather than theoritical analysis write on a foro ...
Try to explain something like this with words is really complicate and undoubtedly generated polemics with pages and pages of blabla.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 11 2011 13:21:11

jsierles

Mezzo and others,

Thanks for your feedback on this lesson. We are working on much more content like this and want to make the subtitles as accurate as possible, though some things are lost in translation. Soon we will add more guitarists and classes centered around accompaniment for cante and baile.

Meanwhile, if you have suggestions or comments feel free to send them my way!

Joshua
http://tomaflamenco.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 11 2011 14:51:37

Elie

7ebbo ba3ed ya jame3a

http://www.youtube.com/user/GuitarristaAD
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 11 2011 14:54:31

Ron.M

quote:

I used to have ads up for FREE lessons (just for the greater good of spreading information about flamenco in my country), but people thought I was some sort of stalker or something (they would write graffiti on my ads saying stuff like "Why for free?" or "What are you after?"). I therefore decided to offer lessons at very affordable rates, and got a student a week later! Unfortunately, he called and said he wanted to start taking lessons the day after, then never got in touch with me again.

Maybe he found out you were a recently qualified Medical Doctor and was afraid maybe you were going to do a Burke & Hare on him right after the lesson and sell his body parts for anatomical research to final year students.

cheers,

Ron
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 11 2011 15:02:36

jsierles

Mezzo,

Indeed the 'tiempo de tierra' is just one example of many things that are poorly taught in flamenco, even in Andalucía. However most artists here use these terms on a regular basis when teaching and communicating in rehearsals. So not only is the rhythm important, but the terms are too. This is the kind of message we want to send out with all the classes on our site.

Joshua
http://tomaflamenco.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 11 2011 15:09:19
Page:   <<   <   2 3 4 [5] 6    >   >>
All Forums >>Playing >>Tabs >> Page: <<   <   2 3 4 [5] 6    >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll