Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

At the doorstep to a new epoch?   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>Off Topic >> Page: [1] 2 3    >   >>
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

Ruphus

At the doorstep to a new epoch? 

Personally to me it appears without doubt that should there be a chance for a part of earths advanced species and us to see a future, it will only be possible with the very soon introduction of a new era.

From what I gather, without immediate paradigm / societal change the global collapse of climate and ecology if possibly farther in the future than a handful of years, only so for earths sustaining mechanisms which would result in a just the more sudden break down few years after the treshold.

Signs of the accumulating factors are moving up on the horizon since decades, yet played down by human ignorance and purposive industrial short-sightedness and thier desinformational and pseudo-scientifical instances like the "Marshall Institute", "NIPPC", "TASSC", "Global Climate Coalition", "Global Science Team", "National Center for Policy Analysis", "Heartland Institute", "Center for Science and Public Policy" or "EIKE", which fake a broad official fraction on international stage whilst in fact behind all these being just mailboxes and all the same dozen of persons who make an opulent living by lending their fallow academic titles and unscrupulous presence to the industry.

Yet, despite disproportional efficiency of such PR measures of insanity and their enhancing of public immunity and swoon there seems a lazy, however progressively rising awareness of the common sense on its way.

Starting with the fading ( since Bush junior at the latest ) of traditional serfdom that used to deem ( own ) statesmen as god-sent integrity on default, over encreasing sceptisism against official authencity in general, to the realization of unsocial economy and the destruction of earths creation.

Even formerly firmly established demagogy against socially and environmentally aware society as allegedly impossible illusion, seems to crumble away.

We are wittnessing philanthropical and democratic tendencies in South- and Mid America ( however defamed they might still be in western and especially US concertated press ). We are seeing rising public sceptisism against manufacturing / supplying and financial combines and their draining-off mechanisms and accordingly distorted exegesis implantet into states agendas.

There are less uninformed sheeps to be heard who embrace social discrepancy, and billionaires as "great, for they provide us with jobs".

And there are even concepts discussed today that would had been dismissed with hysterical public contempt only a few years ago. Like the idea of granted basic income as suggested by Götz Werner. Meanwhile encreasingly accepted and considered even by established parties in Germany. ( Making me hardly believe my eyes and ears in fondness!)

Or other events indicating a new phenomenon, like days ago, with an official representative of the German Industry together with a stockbroker (!) both confirming that things got way out of hand, by financial markets producing currency far over existing product equivalent, with the population pressed to generate surplus as interest income of billionaires.
-

And you?

Would you envision survival under sustaining pharaonic systems, and if, how so at current wordly happenings?

Do you sense common cognitive changes around you?
And if there are paradigm changes developing fast enough to get around the Big Crunch:
What kind of changes would you anticipate as possibly most relevant modification towards survival ( and possibly a world of reason and ethics, provided consideration of such as concrete matter )?

Ruphus

Images are resized automatically to a maximum width of 800px
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 28 2011 14:33:58

Ron.M

RE: At the doorstep to a new epoch? (in reply to Ruphus

Hey Ruph man...

Can you explain that again in plain English por favor?
I can't follow anything you're saying.

Sorry man...I don't have a University education or anything...

cheers,

Ron
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 28 2011 18:30:55

XXX

RE: At the doorstep to a new epoch? (in reply to Ron.M

Ron i thought you were an electrotecnic engineer?

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ruphus
There are less uninformed sheeps to be heard who embrace social discrepancy, and billionaires as "great, for they provide us with jobs".

Yes thats funny. Although all wealth (billionaires) is created by labour, people still think that richness comes by nature. In my honest opinion, i dont think that many people spend too much time on thinking how our society works. They just work and function in the system. Sheep is a very good word to describe the political beings of today.

Фламенко
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 28 2011 18:44:00

Ron.M

RE: At the doorstep to a new epoch? (in reply to XXX

quote:

Ron i thought you were an electrotecnic engineer?

Yeah, but I came up through the day-release scheme to attend college from work through ONC and HNC/HND courses.
So there was no time for University style of having fun or missing classes with a hangover.

You worked your ass off and you were piled with homework.

A report on your progress/attendance was sent to your employer.

Engineering is very thorough in Scottish Colleges and they expect you to keep up or you get chucked out. No mercy.

Not that it did me any real good.

It's regularly building Electronics stuff at home and reading Electronics magazines from cover to cover that makes you really know your stuff at the end of the day and puts you above the rest. Not courses or bits of paper.

Same as guitar.

cheers,

Ron
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 28 2011 19:44:14

XXX

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ron.M
So there was no time for University style of having fun or missing classes.

Sounds like missing fun too
But these days, i think Universities have changed too since that time. You can miss any class you want, but they certainly wont wait for you to catch up with the schedule. Studying is basically an 8 hours day job, you have to prepare stuff at home if you want a good grade, class time is only half of the work.
But i cant complain, it is also alot of fun. I switched from Physics to Engineering and didnt regret my decision so far. Just today i did a 30 minutes presentation in English on (flamenco) guitar, describing the parts of a guitar etc.

Фламенко
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 28 2011 20:00:50

marrow3

Would you envision survival under sustaining pharaonic systems, and if, how so at current worldly happenings?

This is the exam question from hell surely? Pharoahs Cameron and Clegg are off the map of worldly happenings. And 500 000 people in London on the weekend seemed to agree. I sat for two hours outside Downing Street watching all the groups file past (teachers' unions, Nurses, Fire brigade etc..) making a lot of noise.

The evil of tax evasion combined with cuts to hard working people appears to unite people more than foreign wars could or future climate change could.

And if there are paradigm changes developing fast enough to get around the Big Crunch:
'live within your means' both financially and environmentally

What kind of changes would you anticipate as possibly most relevant modification towards survival ( and possibly a world of reason and ethics, provided consideration of such as concrete matter )?
Changing society with respect to climate change and carbon emissions now and not later.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 28 2011 20:57:08

rogeliocan

The only realization I'm getting from reading this (but I only looked at the pretty picture), is that I need new glasses.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 28 2011 21:28:15

elgreco

I totally empathize with Ron but I also urge Ruphus to continue writing in this style and challenge us a little.

D.

quote:

Hey Ruph man...

Sorry man...I don't have a University education or anything...

cheers,

Ron

Captain Esteban: Caballeros! I believe you all know each other?
Don Diego from San Fernando.
Don Francisco from San Jose.
Don Fernando from San Diego.
Don Jose from San Bernardino.
Luis Obispo from Bakersfield.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 28 2011 23:00:54

Estevan

RE: At the doorstep to a new epoch? (in reply to marrow3

Thanks for the video link, Richard.

Me da igual. La música es música.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 28 2011 23:07:48

rogeliocan

RE: At the doorstep to a new epoch? (in reply to elgreco

quote:

I totally empathize with Ron but I also urge Ruphus to continue writing in this style and challenge us a little.

Challenge us in what way? A challenge to try and decipher what he means?

Let's look at part of the text above:
Personally to me it appears without doubt that should there be a chance for a part of earths advanced species and us ...

Personally to me.... redundant, would you ever say personally to you?
The first 2 paragraphs (which are 2 roll on sentences, could be reduced to 2 lines)

I gave up at the introduction of a new word, 'desinformational'

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 28 2011 23:31:45

Ron.M

RE: At the doorstep to a new epoch? (in reply to rogeliocan

quote:

Challenge us in what way? A challenge to try and decipher what he means?

I completely agree.
If Ruphus had to hand that piece of writing into an English department of any University here in the UK, he'd score 0/10 or maybe 1/10 if the lecturer happened to be in a good mood.

The BBC would never broadcast a script like that....they'd hand it back to you.

Sorry, Ruph old chap, I'm not trying to insult you or anything but that's just the plain truth. Your writing is all over the place in structure and grammar and is very difficult to understand..
You need to practise writing in shorter, clearer,simpler, better balanced sentences, leaving out the big words until you have better control over them.
It wouldn't take long... 6 months or so of going back to basics and you would be a superb writer of English.

Ramzi (Rombsix) for example, is a superb writer in English. You would never dream it was a second language.
It is educated and professional, but never academic.

But there are other non native English speakers here who write much more clearly than you and are no problem at all to understand even though there might be bags of spelling errors etc.

Believe me Ruphus, I'm not being pedantic or anything. I am just a very average speaker/writer of English myself. In fact I have to correct my own sentence structure here as well since I normally speak and write (informally) in colloquial Scottish style, which often puts adverbs, prepositions etc in the wrong place according to Standard English.

eg... We say things like "You'll never see him get into work early, but"

(Ending a sentence in "but" is quite common here. )

cheers,

Ron
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 29 2011 8:15:03

Stu

quote:

Sorry man...I don't have a University education or anything

i dont think thats the problem ron.

I have trouble reading all of your posts Ruphus!! im not sure why tho. lack of punctuation and really bad structure or something.. its a shame because some of the subjects are very interesting but the sentences are weird and long and meandering mixups! something to do with your chain of thought.

no offense, but I dont come here to be challenged to decipher some coded science chat.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 29 2011 10:52:14

Ruphus

Muchachos,

I believe if attempt to communcation was fully appreciated, grammar wouldn´t be mattering as much as it does to some of you.
File me as incapable or weird or whatever and cut me a sclack.
I doubt that anyone couldn´t spare the extra minute to read and `decipher´, nor that the topics were too insignificant to do so.
If you think so however, just ignore me.

Just looking at the ridiculous points that Rogeliocan picked on as claimed prove for unintelligibility, makes his attitude pretty lucid.
* comment deleted by author

.. Unlike Ron, Stu and others.
quote:

Hey Ruph man...

cheers,

Ron

I think to see changes going on with common sense, and am asking around whether fellow people are sensing such too.
And am interested to know what exactly they observe as changing and what they consider as most needed changes for a chance of omitting the Big Crunch ( total break down of earths vital system ).

quote:

ORIGINAL: marrow3

Would you envision survival under sustaining pharaonic systems, and if, how so at current worldly happenings?

This is the exam question from hell surely? Pharoahs Cameron and Clegg are off the map of worldly happenings.

Only the particular ancient formal appearance of pharaos is off the map, not however the corresponding economical and societal reign, privilege and power.
Just as with the historical example, there do exist a couple hundred of extremely privileged and powerful individuals today who stand above legislation and governing. They can and do settle beyond public interest and reason, clamping in fellow men and environment for ordinary and endless encrease of their affluent personal property.
And shaping common sense to their special needs through tweaked informative education and media.
( With great ease! Just consider the public influence and faked credibility of above mentioned organisations and the actually very small number of representating heads behind it.
Geore Bush sen. about the "Marshall Institute" [ founded 1984 by Reagen for PR strategies for the irrational star wars concept SDI, and afterwards sustained for further environmental desinformation]: "My scientists".
Or Bush junior who turned down Kyoto for petro industy´s lobbying brand "Global Climate Coalition" input.
To name the very least of common manipulation.)

quote:

The evil of tax evasion combined with cuts to hard working people appears to unite people more than foreign wars could or future climate change could.

Yes. The problem is a disconnected perception ( through detouched culture ) that allows realisation almost exclusively and very late at trivial level of personal empirics. And even that only when entirely obvious.
That upside-down way temporary phenomenons like current form of votivs, economics, states etc. are paradoxly considered before primare circumstances like the lasting of environnment.
The lack of foresight and of realized coherence appears to be the main threat to the blue planet, as these deficits are delaying perception of urging status quo and preserving measures for life on earth.

quote:

'live within your means' both financially and environmentally

True for now, seeing what reduction of animal protein in daily supply alone could do. Or support of local productions / distribution, reduction of packaging etc.pp.
However, sacrifice in living standard would be considerably less than what is currently being suggested, provided a coming switch from oligarchy to actual democracy and with that introduction of community orientated developments / strategies of reason.

quote:

Changing society with respect to climate change and carbon emissions now and not later.

To me this seems a short sight; as it considers symptom before foregoing cause.
After all pollution is a symptom of irresponsibility in diverse stages.

Making out the practical background of overpopulation, ample chemical emissions, and inane concepts like nuclear energy, cutting down rain forest for oil palms as fuel ressource etc. ... Circling in insanity and tracking down its practical source should be a rather causal and constructive proceed.

If people under fundamentally same reign could do something timely about climate change and carbon emissions ( which you can´t, as has been plentifully proven since about fourty years by now ), the source of irrational past and action would still be in place, keeping up irresponsible and unsocial layouts of vertical economizing.

If people are at progressively overthinking ( as it seems ), I think we should take the opportunity to illuminate things on deeper levels.

Starting from the very bases, going from there with the paramter of equal right among humans and for fellow creature, it should become clear that pollution and thoughtless destruction is the traditional breath of a minority privilege of pathological greed, that would stay in place still, if common focus remained on dealing with dominon´s secondary products.

Ruphus
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 29 2011 14:01:33

rogeliocan

RE: At the doorstep to a new epoch? (in reply to Stu

Ruphus, I did not realize English was your second language. I just thought you were trying too hard. It's clear your english is good, but most of everything you write is too long. For the last months I have stopped reading anything you post; I try but I never finish.

In case you want improvement tips:
- Join Toast Masters; with the above text you would have lost everyone halfway in your first sentence. Not a good thing.

- After you have written something:
- Step away for 2 minutes
- Write down the the idea you want to convey.
- Read your text and get rid of anything that is not necessary.
- Seperate your sentences so they focus on one idea, at first, keep them short.
- Rewrite the sentences so they are simple and to the point.

... in other words, make every word count.

Shorter is better.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 29 2011 14:11:53

rogeliocan

Man, I just posted my message above and I noticed you posted a reply just above it; and again, it's tooooo loooonnnngggggg. I won't even look at it.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 29 2011 14:13:48

Ruphus

Take my apoligies, Rogeliocan, if I misinterpeted you.

I agree with your suggestions above.
But I don´t have that time for it, rather steal a minute from you.

For the most of my writings, I do not agree at all them to be too long.
Actually they are compressed, which is the main reason for them being less degistible.

Many relevant matters require mentioning of peripheral and interactive circumstances to make clear individual points.

After all, common sense has not so much a problem of deconstructive thinking than it has a problem of descrete perception.

It seems.

Ruphus
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 29 2011 14:24:58

Florian

quote:

For the last months I have stopped reading anything you post; I try but I never finish.

i can relate to that....i cant remember if i did it to you specifically Ruphus ...its not anything personal ...just our attention span is very short on a forum..

if something is too long, the paragraph is too long or fails to get to the point in the first couple of sentences its lost me ( especially if its not to do with flamenco)...( remember most people read this posts between practice...well i do anyway)

short and straight to the point ( and expand on it after...if you capture someones interest and identifies he will continue to read on ) imo if you want to get your message out which i presume you do cause that's why one would start a thread...

btw your written English puts mine to shame ...and i live in an english speaking country once a year i learn a intelligent sounding word from the dictionary ...to surprise people....but then i forget it a month later...

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 29 2011 14:34:17

rogeliocan

quote:

For the most of my writings, I do not agree at all them to be too long.
Actually they are compressed, which is the main reason for them being less degistible.

Many relevant matters require mentioning of peripheral and interactive circumstances to make clear individual points.

After all, common sense has not so much a problem of deconstructive thinking than it has a problem of descrete perception.

On your first point, you have to think who you are writing for, if you are writing for yourself that is fine, if it's for an audience and to be understood, many are telling you, right now that it's not working. It's important to be aware of that.

I understand your second point but the peripheral stuff still has to be tight.

I don't understand the last sentence, it's almost phylosophical, but that just me, others may enjoy.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 29 2011 14:50:27

Ron.M

RE: At the doorstep to a new epoch? (in reply to rogeliocan

quote:

if you are writing for yourself that is fine, if it's for an audience and to be understood, many are telling you, right now that it's not working. It's important to be aware of that.

And that's the whole issue, Ruphus.

Why continue with this style of writing when native English speakers are telling you that you are failing to communicate your thoughts.

I don't want to be hard Ruphus, but don't kid yourself that it's just your individualistic style.
It's simply just bad English.

The infuriating thing is that I can see you have a lot of English, but are just putting it together awkwardly and sounding completely foreign and difficult to understand.

A few months of going back to basics, dropping the long sentences, sticking to simple words to convey your ideas would sort that out.
Then you can build on that and reintroduce your more complex words etc.

I have only good intentions in saying this Ruphus, not trying to put you down.
Don't take offence.

cheers,

Ron
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 29 2011 15:50:59

XXX

In school i used to write very long sentences because i thought that would be what good or sophisticated language is about... so wrong IMO. Especially when you deal with technical or nature science, you learn to come to the point and to formulate your view in a very precise way (example: Definitions).

As i said earlier in a similar discussion: the art of language is not to to be able to explain basic things in a complicated way, but to explain complicated things in a basic way.

Фламенко
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 29 2011 17:06:28

marrow3

I took it that Ruphus was writing in a stream of consciousness style. If that's what he wants to do fine by me. It is more difficult to understand (James Joyce anyone?) but not wrong necessarily.

Hi Ruphus,

I take it from Adam Smith that wealthy people who make a living from profits on stock are generally intelligent but with an intelligence skewed toward self interest. If they can they will lobby governments to enrich themselves. If it was true then, then it is true now as far as I understand it. Perhaps we don't need to use the analogy of a Pharoah to explain this tendency.

Also would take it from Alexis de Toqueville that individuals in a democracy are inherently weak (to abuse by their governments) unless they can form associations with like minded citizens, to be able to promote their interests. And so the freedom of the press is critical for them to be able to articulate their views.

Taken together elements of society will always be pushing toward inequality which can only be countered by people making an effort to resist propaganda and stand up for their rights.

These are very complicated issues for me to understand so I can only approach them one by one and slowly.

regards,
Richard
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 29 2011 17:37:06

edguerin

Being
"part of earths advanced species"

I not only can
"envision survival under sustaining pharaonic systems"

I condone it

Ed

El aficionado solitario
Alemania
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 29 2011 17:48:11

Ron.M

RE: At the doorstep to a new epoch? (in reply to edguerin

quote:

I not only can
"envision survival under sustaining pharaonic systems"

I condone it

Well Ed,

You're just going to have to live under the present system where career politicians use their positions to grab as much of our money as they can and be happy with it.

Viva Democracy!

(Christ!...I've got to vote for these bastards on Thursday and the Monster Raving Loonie Party is no longer an option...oh God... )

cheers,

Ron
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 29 2011 18:05:17

Ron.M

quote:

writing in a stream of consciousness style

The symphonium, now derelect caused instantaneous appeal to his Kafka-esque influences. He marched into the long metaphysical night ahead. Rotterdam. Viagra in Biblical terms, sensing another awareness towards the imminent destiny... Woody Allen...Dylan Thomas...Bob Hope perhaps God incarnate? Anyone got a Woodbine? Supermarket bag for life...

cheers,

Ron
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 29 2011 18:14:28

Estevan

quote:

The symphonium, now derelect caused instantaneous appeal to his Kafka-esque influences. He marched into the long metaphysical night ahead. Rotterdam. Viagra in Biblical terms, sensing another awareness towards the imminent destiny... Woody Allen...Dylan Thomas...Bob Hope perhaps God incarnate? Anyone got a Woodbine? Supermarket bag for life...

Ole!

Me da igual. La música es música.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 29 2011 19:52:51

edguerin

... that is twisted and trampled and tortured for the weaving of a story-teller's book-web. Who but a book-poet would dishonour the God-big Finn for the sake of a gap-worded story?

Ed

El aficionado solitario
Alemania
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 29 2011 19:59:05

Richard Jernigan

quote:

quote:

writing in a stream of consciousness style

cheers,

Ron

More work needed. Verbs in first two sentences...

RNJ
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 29 2011 20:01:00

Ruphus

quote:

Hi Ruphus,

Yep, some seem unable to overcome their presumption that I was trying to pretend something with my writing style. Staying busy with their individual sensitivity instead of actual contents.

Just look how neglectible this topic must be, with the part of reflection to the actual matter and all that more or less well-meaning attention to the form.

Ron,

I am conversating and corresponding with native speakers since decades. From there I know that I for the most can be understood rather well. As the vast of native speakers found our exchange interesting enough, I have hardly seen them complaining ( other than at times - and rather rarely at that - inquiring about certain sections as unclear, which I then explained ), but rather appreciative of what is.
In fact there has been far more positive feedback altogether from native speakers than complaints about unintelligibility, with the main exception of this forum, which however has members as well who seem preferably occupied with contents.
Anyway, now.

quote:

I took it that Ruphus was writing in a stream of consciousness style. If that's what he wants to do fine by me.

Thank you, Richard!

quote:

I take it from Adam Smith that wealthy people who make a living from profits on stock are generally intelligent but with an intelligence skewed toward self interest. If they can they will lobby governments to enrich themselves. If it was true then, then it is true now as far as I understand it. Perhaps we don't need to use the analogy of a Pharoah to explain this tendency.

Only that that mentality as common started out roughly with the first kingdoms and pharaos.
With mentioning contemporary situation as pharaonic I intend to push a thought about how such long obsolete mentality could still be in place and which routines being the ones making practical kingdoms still possible today.

quote:

Also would take it from Alexis de Toqueville that individuals in a democracy are inherently weak (to abuse by their governments) unless they can form associations with like minded citizens, to be able to promote their interests. And so the freedom of the press is critical for them to be able to articulate their views.

Absolutely.
And the freedom of press has taken a substantial step backwards over the past ~ 15 years with the buying off of editorial offices by media moguls and consortiums.
Very evidently so in Germany. With agencies like Reuters that provide dispatchs of international events, yet the editorial offices strangely all selecting the very same small number of actual topics ( and vastly very same interpretation of events ).

quote:

Taken together elements of society will always be pushing toward inequality which can only be countered by people making an effort to resist propaganda and stand up for their rights.

With explicitely contemporary societal routines. Those are not natural / inevitable by any stretch, despite of people being traditionally indoctrinated in that they were to be wittnessing inequality and insanity as "human nature".

quote:

These are very complicated issues for me to understand so I can only approach them one by one and slowly.

Very well said.
Especially for differenciating between actual, pragmatic possibilities and establishment´s humbug we are being fed with since centuries ...
Analyzing what is going on in fact and what could actually going on instead, thinking ( and reading ) step by step and slowly is a must.

Your thoughtful approach shows, bro.

Ruphus
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 29 2011 20:07:49

Ron.M

RE: At the doorstep to a new epoch? (in reply to Richard Jernigan

quote:

More work needed. Verbs in first two sentences...

Nah, Richard....I didn't want to make it too flowery.

Anyway, my old boss from the University was from Paris and he and his wife were good friends with Samuel Beckett.
When he came up to see them in Scotland, my boss would bring him up to the little department to show him around and at lunchtime we'd go to the pub for a sandwich and a pint, just the four of us.
He was a very old man in my eyes since I was only 19/20, but he was very funny and laughed a lot, which was strange, considering his books.

Anyway, he told me never to make things too flowery.

So I don't.

cheers,

Ron
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 29 2011 20:23:37

Pgh_flamenco

Ruphus, why don't you read the English translations of a German author, e. g., Schopenhauer, and use his grammar and sentence structure as a template?

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 29 2011 20:30:28
Page:   [1] 2 3    >   >>
All Forums >>Discussions >>Off Topic >> Page: [1] 2 3    >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post