Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

RE: 2000 millionares more in Spain   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>Off Topic >> Page: <<   <   1 [2]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

Kevin James Shanahan

RE: 2000 millionares more in Spain (in reply to Anders Eliasson

I believe if we gave everyone the same amount of money , within a short period of time there would be a devision all over again , live and let live all you need is love .

Peace.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 19 2011 9:07:17

[Deleted] (in reply to Ron.M

[Deleted by Admins]
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 19 2011 10:43:29

Anders Eliasson

RE: 2000 millionares more in Spain (in reply to Kevin James Shanahan

quote:

And if you think proven ability has something to do with getting a job anymore, then you are wrong. My experience is contacts, contacts, and more contacts...

good one. I agree.

Blog: http://news-from-the-workshop.blogspot.com/
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 19 2011 12:13:46

Ron.M

RE: 2000 millionares more in Spain (in reply to Guest

quote:

My experience is contacts, contacts, and more contacts...

You're dead right there, Shroomy.

Why do you think upper middle class parents here make such a big effort and are willing to pay thousands of pounds a year to get their kid into a top class Private School?

Because they are going to be mixing and making friends with kids whose parents are wealthy and are top directors of big companiies or have other influence
Same with Oxford and Cambridge to a large extent..

These guys don't apply for jobs from the newspaper or online.

Someone phones them up and tells them there is a position going and you would be the very chap if you care to pop along for a spot of lunch at the Dorchester sometime this week and we can talk about the financial package.

Only plebs look at newspapers or go to job agencies.

cheers,

Ron
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 19 2011 12:21:44

Escribano

RE: 2000 millionares more in Spain (in reply to Ron.M

quote:

Only plebs look at newspapers or go to job agencies.

I haven't got a job through an ad or agency since 1983 My professional network is very important.

quote:

you would be the very chap if you care to pop along for a spot of lunch at the Dorchester

Oh dear, I had a lunch interview at the Savoy once. You got me dead in the water, Ron. Didn't go to Oxbridge though. I'm just an amiable council estate boy from Reading, with lots of friends and good at what I do, apparently.

Foro Flamenco founder and Admin
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 19 2011 13:36:20

Ron.M

RE: 2000 millionares more in Spain (in reply to Escribano

quote:

I'm just an amiable council estate boy from Reading,

WOW! Reading!!!!

Man, that's where Kate Middleton comes from!

That brings you a good few steps up the social ladder now, Simon.

You're practically Royalty in the eyes of some!!

I heard on the Radio that bus tours around Reading and Berkshire have rocketed, with packed coaches every day, full of old ladies and foreign tourists.

BTW did you hear that a dress that Ms.Middleton wore at a student "fashion" show has been auctioned off for £78,000.

Man, the sycophancy just makes you, ...well...SICK! ('scuse me while I puke..)

cheers,

Ron
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 19 2011 14:09:07

Escribano

RE: 2000 millionares more in Spain (in reply to Ron.M

quote:

Man, that's where Kate Middleton comes from!

Yeah, and Ricky Gervais, Kate Winslet (married in the church behind my old house) and Jacqueline Bisset (she was my doctor's daughter).

quote:

You're practically Royalty in the eyes of some!!

Well, I did go out on a big date with two other guys, Diana Spencer and two of her flatmates in Chelsea, in late 1980 but she didn't turn up. She had a more important, older, richer but uglier date. I kid you not. Lady Di's life might have turned out very differently, if she had kept her date with me To be honest, she wasn't my type at that age so I would have chucked her.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 19 2011 14:26:13

tamoio

RE: 2000 millionares more in Spain (in reply to Anders Eliasson

Some individuals in history (particularly Jesus Christ) have suggested that wealth is the definition of corruption.

Some people also suggest that some of our fundamental problems (at least in the USA) are a result of the majority of the decisions in our society being made by Mba's.

(everyone should note that I've managed to introduce both marxism and christianity into this thread ; ) )

"The TV business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. . .Then there's also the negative side"

Hunter S. Thompson
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 19 2011 14:31:36

koella

Hello

I was just dropping by to see who's online these days.
And to see if there are interesting things to read.
Bingo right away, nothing to do with flamenco though...

I'm reading Mike Oldfield's biography at the moment and read that he's from Reading too.
Did you know him in person Simon ?
If yes could you tell something about him ?

Hope you are all well !

Koella
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 20 2011 10:50:36

Escribano

RE: 2000 millionares more in Spain (in reply to koella

quote:

Did you know him in person Simon ?
If yes could you tell something about him ?

I forgot about Mike Oldfield, but sadly I have no connections to him, however vague, apart from living with the interminable Tubular Bells.

I am not sure that the percentage of artists coming out of Reading is statiscally significant, but if it is, then it is because the town was a boring dump one could not wait to escape from.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 20 2011 11:02:51

Florian

RE: 2000 millionares more in Spain (in reply to Escribano

quote:

I believe if we gave everyone the same amount of money , within a short period of time there would be a devision all over again , live and let live all you need is love .

lets not just say it lets try it

...the guys who were born into wealth might be screwed if envious of anyone ( not really) this are the guys i would be envious of...the 16 year old boy who parents are loaded and he drives a $200.0000 car

but seriously whatever i miss out in wealth it more then balances out in other good things one just cant buy...when you die and we all die eventually u cant take it with you...all you have is the experiences the life u lived and the people who if you are lucky love you

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 20 2011 11:45:55

Ruphus

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deniz

Its actually not the work that makes you rich; its more the other people working for you that makes oneself rich.

Very true!

It would take too long trying to explain in detail, but people wouldn´t believe the practical outcome if alienating of labour surplus value was outlawed, as it absolutely should under actual human rights.

The great plagues, from exploding crime rates and corruption, over desinformation, denaturalization, unethical standards in general to exploitation, as secondary phenomenons would be erased simultaneously.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mark2

Don't discount brain work. If it was easy to run a large company, alot more people would do it.

In the nineties there was a period of headlines in the international press on this matter that you might have not noticed.
At that time several surveys were published that had examined special skills among top managers. The pale outcome was to be expected.
What commonly drives upper managing cirlces into position is nepotism, not qualification.

The people destined for upper career in industry or established politics typically get pushed through already during education ( school and university ) getting their grades granted; and in following working positions the actual organization is being conducted by subs / officials in charge.

Have you never wondered about top managers switching jobs on the fly regardless of special fields of production or service? Just as with established politicians hopping from a ministry to any other, without qualification?

Their actual qualification is their being connected which ain´t special skill, but usually due to birth.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shroomy726

Most public systems of education are a failure, so university is almost becoming a necessity. Most people don't know how to think on their own.

Why do you think that university in sight of intellectual independency was to be different from school?

Again, in the mid eighties the thinking dependency of students was a topic in the press.
Demanding professors were dispaired on the sheep-likeness of the students. And they still are.

Your are right in that common school is prepraring the mess, in that teachers penalize associative thinking as "going astray" and "failing on topic", but it ain´t much better with the didactics at universities, where it has been given in to contemporary inability by taking out text and replacing it by graphs and pictures, instead of taking measures to support intellectual capability.

Meanwhile teachers are of the Pisa generation themselves, besides.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ron.M

It's interesting to see that half the former cabinet ministers have now got jobs as directors of the Banks that they condemned so roundly while in office.

Usually these are not even jobs.
Resigned politicians commonly don´t even need to show up at their cushioned retirement position. Merely consulted when it is about lobbying the company´s request before parliamentarians in service.

In the end they typically wouldn´t have a practical clue of the job, as their education and "working experience" usually having nothing to do with the retirement position.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ron.M

Tony Blair toured the States charging £30,000 a pop for dinner evenings and talks.

It might be indicating his low popularity.
I think Gerhard Schröder takes 60 000€ and that Bill Clinton is commanding something around 100 US grands.

quote:

ORIGINAL: tamoio

Some individuals in history (particularly Jesus Christ) have suggested that wealth is the definition of corruption.

That looks like a basic misconnection, eventhough many privilegeds show to be of contempting attitude against fellow men indeed. ( Curiously, apparently most of all / out of all with upcomers being worse than individuals of the traditional rich.)

I know of a couple of billionairs of which some changed from predator policies to humane ones at the end of their career; and of others who were philanthrops already during their active business career.

As definition for root of corruption, lack of education / desinformation should be rather causal.
Which leads us back to alienated labour surplus value and its secondary products.

Ruphus
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 20 2011 11:59:27

Ruphus

RE: 2000 millionares more in Spain (in reply to Florian

quote:

ORIGINAL: Florian

...when you die and we all die eventually u cant take it with you...all you have is the experiences the life u lived and the people who if you are lucky love you

I suspect such ( the moment when they find either noone or merely waiting heirs around the deathbed ) to be the moment when unscrupulous characters start regretting. Only that it won´t change a thing on past miserable legacy.

Ruphus
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 20 2011 12:09:35

Pgh_flamenco

RE: 2000 millionares more in Spain (in reply to Florian

quote:

Oprah used to pay off the debt of some of her guests until she realized that these people would be in just as much debt or worse within a few years. Some people can't manage money. It seems like most of the big lottery winners are working class people and no matter how much they win they usually end up in debt (kind of funny you never hear about a doctor, lawyer, etc., winning). It's as if the lottery is a curse, but it's really just poor impulse control and lack of long range planning--qualities people who are "down on their luck" have in short supply.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 20 2011 15:58:55

koella

Nevermind, thanks Simon.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 20 2011 16:29:58
Page:   <<   <   1 [2]
All Forums >>Discussions >>Off Topic >> Page: <<   <   1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread