Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

RE: Old School Tone   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>Lutherie >> Page: <<   <   1 [2] 3    >   >>
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

RobJe

RE: Old School Tone (in reply to Anders Eliasson

quote:

I´m not specially fond of brand new strings. When they start changing color my guitars sound the best.

I agree. Whenever I have found myself sticking different strings/new strings on a guitar all the time to try and make it sound/play better, I have enventually had to face up to the fact that it's the guitar that's the problem. My preference has always been for guitars which are at their best with strings that have had a few days of playing.

Rob
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 19 2011 10:56:52

kozz

RE: Old School Tone (in reply to RobJe

quote:

My preference has always been for guitars which are at their best with strings that have had a few days of playing.

Nice to see a lot of different preferences.
I love it when the strings are "old"... when they've lost their brightness.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 19 2011 11:38:15

Anders Eliasson

quote:

Whenever I have found myself sticking different strings/new strings on a guitar all the time to try and make it sound/play better, I have enventually had to face up to the fact that it's the guitar that's the problem.

Exactly.

Robert Ruck once said that he started to build guitars because he was tired of changing strings.

Blog: http://news-from-the-workshop.blogspot.com/
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 19 2011 12:18:42

tamoio

I'm a rank amateur here but. . .

The argument or suggestion about "old school" tone is not specific to flamenco. It reminds me a little of people "jones'n" for the Wes Montgomery tone which almost everyone now agrees is a about 50% recording artifacts from the 50s and 60s technology and 50% his thumb.

I think its really hard to say anything meaningful about the tone of the guitars in some of these old clips, the sound fidelity of the recordings is . . . shall we say "attenuated" to say the least?

Violins are a whole different story but with guitars I think that the best sounding guitars ever made are being made now.

"The TV business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. . .Then there's also the negative side"

Hunter S. Thompson
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 19 2011 14:47:31

Tom Blackshear

RE: Old School Tone (in reply to tamoio

quote:

Violins are a whole different story but with guitars I think that the best sounding guitars ever made are being made now.

Perhaps the acoustical range of sound and projection but I sense much more in the old sounds that don't apply to today's building techniques. I grew up on the half to quarter edge of the old school and can remember the flamenco sounds then, compared to the fine skills of today, which don't necessarily contribute a lot of soul like the older school.

A word from some of the Spanish masters has told us that old builders used to make many mistakes in their building process, only to come together at the end to be something special. This is what they called a miracle, but I believe with my own fine tuning today, I can strive to achieve these miracles more consistantly.

This is what all of us are striving for; even though some of today's builders haven't had the opportunity to hear and investigate the old school. And this is sad, as we are getting further removed from the old sounds that are ingrained in history, and that give us the Antigua soul.

Tom Blackshear Guitar maker
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 19 2011 15:40:37

RobJe

RE: Old School Tone (in reply to Harry

Pity the poor flamenco guitar luthier!

In the 50s all you had to do was produce a relatively simple guitar that was a close in sound to the Barbero that your local professional played. It would never be amplified and when it had been played to death the guitarist would come back for another one.

Then the world went pear-shaped. The increasing popularity of the classical guitar and the relative afluence of a whole new generation of amateur players seduced many luthiers into making mainly classical guitars - many of them losing any kind of focus on the flamenco instrument. Those still making good flamenco guitars were further challenged by the widening range of demands for different kinds of instrument - negras -gutars for recording - guitars for live amplified performances - guitars just like we used to have in the old days - guitars with useless go-faster stripes down the back of the neck - guitars with soundports .... you name it.

No wonder half of the luthiers are a bit crazy!

Rob
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 19 2011 15:50:08

Tom Blackshear

Here is a Reyes guitar style built by Kenny Hill, from my drawing of a 2003 Manuel Reyes http://www.guitarsalon.com/p602-kenny-hill-reyes-spcy.html

And click on: Bulerias (played by Kai Narezo) (Audio)

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 19 2011 16:44:18

Randy Reynolds

This is a good topic for me as while I am primarily a classical builder I really like Flamencos, play Flamenco (poorly) and listen to Flamenco a lot. I just finished a Flamenco for the fellow who works with me in my shop and it comes pretty close to what I'm hearing described here. The plantilla is my classical which is very close to the Tom B's Reyes plan and I have tried to follow the plan pretty closely. I would have to say that that is a good process to produce a quality Flamenco sound and I haven't a notion as to which "school". No, I do not "fine tune" an instrument after completion although I am aware that some luthiers do.

I have built less than a dozen Flamencos all together always searching for a sound I can't quite reach and I think it is because of the recorded library that is so polluted with inaccurate effects with YouTube being by far the worst. I have had my guitars evaluated by two local professionals here in Colorado and have learned a lot not the least of which is that players are just as crazy as luthiers. To give advice to others relative to proper old or new Flamenco guitar sound is something I couldn't do and I'm surprised if anyone can. Personal opinion and preferences yes but an official pronunciamento? Nah.....
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 19 2011 17:03:21

estebanana

I bought a guitar from Chris Berkov about 15 years ago. it was new then and sounded kinda new. Now its 15 years old and I have played it a lot. It now sounds older and will eventually actually sound real old. You know why? Because the guitar is becoming an old guitar. LOL

Last month I played a Santos that was from 1924, it sounded contemporary in its projection and over all force and playability. I have a Mario Salinas from 1989 in my shop right now that I just refretted ( that came here because the other guy told my client 800.00 for a re fret and a saddle! if only I could charge that, but that would be huge rip off right? ) The Salinas sounds great and it's comparable to many old flamenco guitars from before the 1960's.

Guitars are guitars are guitars, older ones mellow a bit and new guitars play in, but they basically stay with what they are born with. I bet dollars to donuts if people did actual blind tests with guitars they would not be able to tell vintage guitars from year old guitars. Just good guitars from bad guitars according to your feel and taste.

This whole notion of old school building and newer guitar sounds is just a bunch of hooey. You can do the blind test with several guitars and several guitarists, and each guitarist will have a different sound often radically changing the way a particular guitar sounds.

One more thing, this Santos I played sounds different under the ear than a Santos on a recording from the 1930's, this Santos also sounded different under the ear than it does on recordings made by the owner accompanying singers. So this also means that one great guitar can sound different in new and old recordings and live playing contexts.

It's all terribly subjective and everyone has an opinion. And Robbie is correct this is one of the things that drives guitar makers insane. ( If you let it. I tent to ignore this notion while I am actually building. I make my guitars and they sound like me. ) The other thing that drives guitar makers over to the nutty side is that fateful morning when they wake up, stare at their coffee, knowing all these things I mentioned and then realize they are stupid enough to have devoted themselves to a life of trying to please guitarists who are also half raving neurotic about finding the perfect guitar.

I also find it perturbing that some guitar maker sell their guitars under the pretext of them sounding old. This is mythology and touchy feelie romantic clap trap.

When you read this, you should imagine me standing the middle of the street wearing no clothes shouting this angrily to passing cars.

https://www.stephenfaulkguitars.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 19 2011 19:26:53

Tom Blackshear

quote:

ORIGINAL: Harry

Did guitars that were built/used up to the mid to late 60's have a more nasal dry sound or is it just me?

It seems like in these older recordings the guitars sound completely different. Is it a question of construction, set up, or simply that modern recordings are EQ'd to have a fuller sound?

Does anyone prefer that old school sound? To me it is definitely harsher but the attack just sounds better, more of a raw sound.

Harry,

Going back over my thoughts, I think that the older sounds had some nasal qualities; I like to think more of a growling quality from the bass' that came out of the bowels of the earth, with earthy trebles. And the top timber was such that rasguedos had a certain snap rather than a bouncing sensation some guitars today produce.

This all comes from an accumulated articulation that guitars gain with age. But there are ways to hurry up the process by doing fine adjustments; something similar to stretching out strings to their peak proficiency before playing a guitar. I know some of the old builders in Spain would tweak their guitars to gain a more mature sound when new.

I might add that a friend of mine was in Spain for some time in the 50's and 60's, and knew Arcangle Fernandez quite well. Fernandez did re-top a '48 Barbero for him and it sounded quite different from the first Fernandez flamenco negra that he built for my friend. Richard Brune now owns the negra, and my friend still has the Barbero. These are two very different guitars in sound, articulation, and over-all playing style; all by the same builder for the tops.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 19 2011 20:21:52

estebanana

I was Marc Antony in a past life and I knew Cleopatra quite well. I also knew Goya, I shagged his girlfriend the Duchess of Alba, she never loved him anyway. I also Knew Dora Marr and Amelia Earhart intimately, it's little known they were lovers. I might add that Amelia would fly to Paris secretly to meet Dora behind Picasso's back. Amelia would wear her boyfriends underwear while she flew. I know this because I read it in a book by Gore Vidal, who is the son of Amelia's old underwearless beau.

I made up the part about Goya, I never met him. The Duchess kept us separated.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 19 2011 20:47:26

RobJe

RE: Old School Tone (in reply to estebanana

quote:

I make my guitars and they sound like me.

I like that. I have a great deal of respect for the luthiers on this forum who are pursuing their own vision and share this with us.

If I was comissioning a new guitar I would go to someone who had a clear vision about the sound and feel of the guitar they were trying to produce and who could achieve this with a fair degree of consistency. Of course it would have to be a vision that suited what I was looking for. If I was playing regularly through high qualiaty sound systems a modern Conde might suit. If I was playing unamplified in a small venue I would go for a Manuel Bellido. I am sure that others could identify other examples that are more to their liking.

I would be happy if we never heard the term "Old School" again on this forum. This has this "Golden Age" feel about it that is usually associated with romantic myths. However, while guitars might get old and die, new guitars have changed somewhat since the 50's. I know this can be dismissed as an unreliable, subjective view, but a few measurable things have certainly changed - weight for example.

Rob
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 19 2011 21:14:49

RobJe

quote:

I was Marc Antony in a past life and I knew Cleopatra quite well.

So, pretty normal for a luthier then. Some are really crazy

Rob
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 19 2011 21:18:13

estebanana

quote:

So, pretty normal for a luthier then. Some are really crazy

Rob

Yes, I stay away from those crazy ones. And I agree about flamenco not resting in nostalgia. The past happened and it was great, but we move forward. And to move forward we have to be honest about who we are and how we sing or play and dance and make.

Often times those who are honest at art make fewer friends because they say thing people do not want to hear, or dance in ways that people don't understand yet. Art is not about looking back, it's about being ahead of the curve with an understanding that you are building on those who came before you. It does not mean you are disrespecting your artistic ancestors by leaving them behind, it means you're ready to go forward and take the arte with you. It's harder than doing the same old thing and it takes more thought and courage.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 19 2011 21:32:34

Harry

quote:

I would be happy if we never heard the term "Old School" again on this forum.

Yeah I apologize for that choice of words. It does conjure up a certain good old days type of vibe that is making me cringe now.

Thanks Tom for these insights, and thanks to all of you.

I agree that it is important to move forward, but it depends in which direction. Not to mention that sometimes the way forward in art is to look back again. Probably more so for people like me who constantly have to go back to the drawing board to get a stronger foundation in flamenco.

"I'm just a poor crazy man in love with his art." Santos Hernandez
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 20 2011 3:13:59

quote:

go back to the drawing board to get a stronger foundation in flamenco.

always...constantly...

no need to cringe...you like the sound of those recordings...most us do...so many great things happening now...not just the players but the 'sound' we are hearing...think we are lucky to be living in this time...so much documentation of the history as well as what's new...

like that saying
what is new is something old rediscovered....

quote:

growling quality from the bass' that came out of the bowels of the earth, with earthy trebles.

that is beautiful!!!

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 20 2011 3:37:16

RobJe

quote:

Art is not about looking back, it's about being ahead of the curve with an understanding that you are building on those who came before you.

I agree.

So not the slightest bit crazy then. You might need to work on this. Remeber, everyone loves an eccentric!

Flamenco without change and development would be a dead rather than a living art. Development is not the same as improvement. A proportion of new developments will eventually be seen of little value and die a natural death. The rest will added to the things we value from the past and enrich flamenco. Probably the reason we get seduced by the golden age idea is that we forget all the c**p that happened and got discarded. Well perhaps not all is discarded. I was in a tapas bar in Nimes a few years ago. They advertised "flamenco", but it turned out that the only way of getting flamenco was to choose a CD and put it on. I was offered the complete works of Manitas de Plata to choose from.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 20 2011 11:19:49

Anders Eliasson

The Crazyness comes in when you know you have to improve something which is already a winner.
You dont need to improve because of money, being recognized etc. You have to do test and try to improve because you know that there´s something out there that could be done better.

I´m currently and very slowly working a new bracing system (that you havent heard yet. My own of course. Playing safe would be staying with what I have. I get a lot of possitive feedback from it, But no... I have to test some other things. There is a certain "nerve" out there, that I havent found (or maybe I have). Its not in copying some old guitar. I dont learn to much by doing so. Its letting the guitar breathe more freely, not controling it to much. Not being afraid. Intuition is sooo strong if you have the guts to follow it.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 20 2011 21:21:53

Ruphus

quote:

ORIGINAL: estebanana

This whole notion of old school building and newer guitar sounds is just a bunch of hooey. You can do the blind test with several guitars and several guitarists, and each guitarist will have a different sound often radically changing the way a particular guitar sounds.

Objection, here! |OD
Though amazing what expectation can do to the senses, and before all to the hearing, to me its seems as if the sound of old guitars can be specifically different from any fresh specimen.

There is that mid level Aria classical that I bought in the mid seventies. This one, I am sure, I couldn´t differenciate for its age alone in a blind test.

But than there is that old Rodriguez blanca estudio, probably from the eighties, which has a distinct timbre to it ... a characteristic I associate with aged wood ... which - as I am convinced - no recently built could reproduce. ( Not meaning that newer guits couldn´t be better in general; only that they could not deliver that certain `old wood shade´.)

Next specimen, and very illustrating example I think, is that 1970 Ramirez blanca ( which quite ressembles sound properties known of Sabicas´recordings.)
This one, I believe, everyone would immediately recognize as vintage in a blind test.

If we lived near by, and could find other recent builds that were only similar enough to serve as comparison, I would be ready for a blind test in a blink.
- Just can´t think of an eventually newly built that one could be mixing up with that distinct old hack sound.

quote:

ORIGINAL: RobJe

Development is not the same as improvement.

If it be about houses and me allowed to chose, a modern blockhouse would be great.
If about stone though, a retro Art Nouveau building would be preferred over nearly any modern design.

With guitars it appears as if both, new and old to be holding their own.
Without neglection of the fact of overwhelmingly beautiful, newly built guitars that can leave you with nothing to be desired. ( - I am deeply impressed by contemporary luthiery.)

Ruphus
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 20 2011 23:07:59

Harry

quote:

There is a certain "nerve" out there, that I havent found (or maybe I have). Its not in copying some old guitar. I dont learn to much by doing so. I

It is just like any other art. It definitely takes guts to do something different. I am sure when you find this new system, approach, voice and sound you will be very very glad you took the risk. Perhaps you can share some clips then and we will all eat it up!

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 21 2011 2:04:30

Anders Eliasson

quote:

I am sure when you find this new system, approach, voice and sound you will be very very glad you took the risk.

I already am very happy, the prototype came out VERY well, my teacher says its the best guitar he has tried. I will upload, make photos, tell storys etc. When I´m ready.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 21 2011 7:28:38

Harry

quote:

I already am very happy, the prototype came out VERY well, my teacher says its the best guitar he has tried. I will upload, make photos, tell storys etc. When I´m ready.

Ah that is amazing! Can't wait for this news; when you are ready of course!

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 21 2011 11:49:06

Escribano

quote:

I already am very happy, the prototype came out VERY well, my teacher says its the best guitar he has tried

Way to go Anders! Must be something rather special. It's great when an innovation comes off.

Foro Flamenco founder and Admin
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 21 2011 11:51:40

RobJe

quote:

I will upload, make photos, tell storys etc. When I´m ready

Exciting news! However much you tell us about this we will never quite know what you know. Michael Polyani’s classic book “The Tacit Dimension” puts it thus “We know more than we can tell.”

http://i.f.alexander.users.btopenworld.com/reviews/polanyi.htm

Rob
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 21 2011 15:31:04

Harry

I think that Anders should keep his new bracing system a secret.

This is a very flamenco tradition to me. Anders you can be the Manolo de Huelva of Luthiers, secretive like Santos Hernandez.

Then again, after that great documentary the cat is probably out of the bag already!

I hope to experience this sound first hand once you put it into production. Hopefully, it will be perfectly timed with my lady friend purchasing a very expensive piece of furniture. That is our "deal."

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 21 2011 15:38:37

estebanana

Yes spill the beans Anders, you know my saying:

Students borrow, mature artists steal.

I'm ready to see your idea:)

In fact I'll show you my new concept: crossed fans...I'm going to be stringing this one up this week, I can't wait to see how it sounds.

Images are resized automatically to a maximum width of 800px

Attachment (1)

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 21 2011 16:39:09

estebanana

quote:

Michael Polyani’s classic book “The Tacit Dimension” puts it thus “We know more than we can tell.”

There's another book by an art historian Stanley Elkins, and in it he comes to the same conclusion. He began as an art historian who did not do studio work, his work was purely scholarly, a library nerd if you will. Then he studied painting because he wanted to understand the creative process from the artists side of the brush.

It's a very interesting book, but the part salient to your book example is that Elkins said he thinks there is a kind of intelligence that cannot be verbalized directly. He writes about how we have an interior intelligence that is just as sophisticated and highly articulate that has to do with knowing how to proceed artistically. To explain this interior warehouse of knowledge we often use metaphor to illustrate it. He comes to the conclusion that the knowledge of making something can't fully be expressed verbally, but it can be learned through action, observation and involvement in a particular creative process.

But at the same time he does not paint the artist into the corner of non verbal muteness. ( forgive the cliche' :) ) - A lot of the information can be transmitted to others, but he strives to make the point that a vast body of knowledge can exist in a person that is separate from that which is intellectually transmittable. Like how person can make a mark with a brush and understand if the mark came directly though the nervous system and has meaning of if the mark making was a kind of posturing. It's difficult to explain, but one artist said it this way: I know I made the right mark to end the painting because the hairs on the back of my neck stood up.

The problem with guitar making and by relation sculpture, is that these art forms are when compared to painting, drawing dancing or singing, moving at glacial speeds though time. The inner intelligence has a lot of time to engage and disengage according to which part of the sculpture or guitar is being made. When you are making crucial decisions with the inner more difficult to outwardly articulate intelligence, like flexing a top to find a thickness, you are only doing that for a minority of the time you are building a guitar. There is so much physical material to overcome to get a shape correct that we then turn to tools to take big masses of wood off of our necks or sides etc. In that kind of process we use a more outward intelligence that has to do with performing predetermined mechanical processes; it's not the kind of process where you drift in the void of no time and make decisions while you are carving the curves of a heel. In guitar making we move back an forth between a mechanical logical process and an inner non rational process because of the sheer bulkiness of the materials we must shape.

The confusion between guitar makers arises when they can't agree on where one type of process picks up and another process ends. It's highly individual for each person, but that ability know when to shift gears is informed by that huge warehouse of knowledge that one can't readily verbalize. This is the root of that stupidass power tool vs. hand tool polemic. Which is as much of a non starter as old vs. new.

......anyway.....back to work

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 21 2011 17:08:26

XXX

I think when doing things, especially when having done them a thousand times, we forget the details about it. Things that other people take notice of, but which we fail to realize because we are habitualized (did i spell it correctly?)

Фламенко
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 21 2011 17:15:21

RobJe

The often quoted example is touch typing - being able to put fingers in the right place but not being able to describe where to find a letter on the keyboard without flexing the fingers to find where it is. "Memory in the fingers" is good for playing the guitar - for making guitars (your example of flexing the top) - for choosing a guitar (sensing the pulsation when you play it).

Anyway, time to stop hijacking this interesting thread.

Rob
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 21 2011 17:52:01

Anders Eliasson

My "new" design is nothing special. Just a 5 piece fan instead of a 7 piece one. When I´ve worked it some more, I´ll give details.
There are no secret and no superior plan. Its all in the hands and ears of the builder. Different fan layouts make you walk different ways, but its interesting how close you can make two different layouts sound.
What I´ve been working the last couple of years is more right hand feel than sound. In the end, its the right hand feel that makes us, the players, sound. If a guitar with a wonderfull sound has a wrong feel, then it wont sound good in your hands. Stiff guitars are a pain nevermind the sound they produce. What we need is inough resistance to allow us to play hard and close to the bridge. Everything stiffer than that is negative.
I started to make another pattern, because I felt that I needed to learn something more. I needed to push myself forward. Its to easy to start going in circles with something familiar.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 22 2011 7:03:35
Page:   <<   <   1 [2] 3    >   >>
All Forums >>Discussions >>Lutherie >> Page: <<   <   1 [2] 3    >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote